Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Paranoia] Is U/B Reanimator the best deck in the format?

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

[Paranoia] Is U/B Reanimator the best deck in the format?

In light of Mullers recent win at GP Madrid, is it safe to say that Reanimator is currently the best deck? Several factors caused the deck to get much better, seemingly overnight (Entombs unbanning, Ionas printing, etc). How good is this deck? Does winning the GP make Reanimator a DTB? I'm curious to hear some opinions on this.

Re: Is U/B Reanimator the best deck in the format?

It's definitely not the best deck. I don't know what is at the moment but any deck that relies on the graveyard to win will never be the best. Too many ways to hate it out and everybody has answers in their sideboard.

Reanimator's a good deck but I'll be shocked if it stays dominant once people are actively looking for it.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Definetally a DTB no question right now. As far as best deck in the format...I wouldn't be so fast to deam it the absolute best deck...it's about even with probally 3-4 other decks. But it's damn good atm.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

After playing the deck for a while I could sit here and debate card slots and play choices made by Muller, but I wasn't there and can't speak to it. However, I believe the deck is a DTB. Maybe not the pinnacle or the top deck, but it's strong and easily can hold it's own in the top tier of Legacy currently. It's straight forward as far as it's goal, but has the ability to protect it's combo and ride Iona and those Shroud creatures to victory while without the amount of thought and tight play it takes to pilot some of the better Storm decks in the format.

It's got it's flaws and weaknesses, like any combo deck, but I think it's easily a strong presence capable of being DTB.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

I think it will get banned, more due to Iona than Entomb, though.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

Interesting question, which card will get banned: Iona or Entomb?

Entomb is the no-brainer but Iona in any reanimation theme does something that is deeply undesirable for Magic as a whole: it weakens and in some cases invalidates mono-color themes. I was shocked when they printed her.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

I agree that Entomb is on its way back to banland. There are too many overpowering creatures that have no business hitting play on turn 1 or 2, and being able to throw the combo into a blue control shell with FoW, Daze, and possibly Spell Snare/Pierce without sacrificing any kind of consistency only makes it more bannable, IMO.

The deck is so resilient to hate that it's not even funny. Faerie Macabre is really the only effective card against it outside of Leyline, and even then you have to have it in hand and hope they don't Thoughtseize it away.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Entomb would be broken as a Sorcery but it's completely out of control as an Instant. That's the problem. A blue deck can sit on Stifle, Brainstorm, Spell Snare, etc on turn 1 and then EOT Entomb anyway. I really don't think the deck as a whole is broken, but that interaction definitely is.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

I really don't see it getting banned. The deck isn't as hard to disrupt as everyone makes it out to be. A resolved counterbalance is a pain in the ass to play through, as are Trinisphere and Chalice of the Void, black disruption spells, etc.

I lost playing the deck this past weekend to a B/G Rock/Dark Depths deck because he was playing enough hand disruption to keep me off game 1, I had bounce for his marit lage with a sphinx game 2, and then lost to a combination of duress' and seizes game 3.

Like any other combo deck, it can explode turn 2 or 3 if the opponent isn't putting up a fight, and the fact that you can run Force of Wills of your own is quite nice, but like any combo deck it can be hated out through hand disruption, counter magic, permanent combo hate (counterbalance, chalice, 3sphere, etc.), certain graveyard hate (Macabre, Leyline), and just shitting on itself if it doesn't draw well. I don't see FoW as being any different than the ANT player chanting you then going off, the major difference is that it's not as difficult to pilot as ANT or any Storm deck.

I don't see Entomb being re-banned, honestly.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Feb 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    I really don't see it getting banned. The deck isn't as hard to disrupt as everyone makes it out to be. A resolved counterbalance is a pain in the ass to play through, as are Trinisphere and Chalice of the Void, black disruption spells, etc.

I lost playing the deck this past weekend to a B/G Rock/Dark Depths deck because he was playing enough hand disruption to keep me off game 1, I had bounce for his marit lage with a sphinx game 2, and then lost to a combination of duress' and seizes game 3.

Like any other combo deck, it can explode turn 2 or 3 if the opponent isn't putting up a fight, and the fact that you can run Force of Wills of your own is quite nice, but like any combo deck it can be hated out through hand disruption, counter magic, permanent combo hate (counterbalance, chalice, 3sphere, etc.), certain graveyard hate (Macabre, Leyline), and just shitting on itself if it doesn't draw well. I don't see FoW as being any different than the ANT player chanting you then going off, the major difference is that it's not as difficult to pilot as ANT or any Storm deck.

I don't see Entomb being re-banned, honestly.
    You could make the same argument for Tinker.
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

The specimen seems to be broken.
    Dec 2008
    Sweden

You all forgot to mention the fact that Show and Tell makes the deck immune to graveyard hate. When I talked to the swedes playing the deck in the GP (One got place 33 and the other 57) they mostly said that there is no real hate against the deck, Crypts and Relics does basicly nothing.

I think and hope that Show and Tell gets the banhammer, basicly because the strategy to board in 4 SnT and 4 Progenitus (or other) is to boring.

I whould say reanimate is one of the top 3-5 decks right now.
    "Think of all we could learn from it! It's the chance of a lifetime! You must let me have it! It's a magnificent specimen!"

Scandinavian Master Legacy 2010

World champion 93/94 2013

Show and Tell is a 3cc sorcery and it's blue. I don't think it's as broken as it sounds.

Dec 2003
    Seattle

Way to hijack the thread with baseless banning nonsense. There is no need to even mention anything being banned right now...unless you want another 20 pages of arguing about Goyf.

Reanimator should be considered a DTB for sure. It is more powerful and consistent then some of the other DTB on this forum. However, it doesn't have the resilience of Countertop decks or the raw power of Storm combo, or the consistency of Zoo.
    Calls for banning are almost always the scrubs way out. Real men view a challenge as something to overcome, a puzzle to solve, an opportunity to be had, and the source of evolution.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

A really good weekend for Reanimator and people want the bans already. It is a really good deck, but there are plenty of ways to hate it out. It does have a good protection suite, but it is still vulnerable to graveyard hate, removal still works on their creatures (bounce, diabolic edict, etc), and it is still a combo deck that relies on 1cc cards. People will be prepared for it next time and it most likely won't do as well.

Definitely deserves to be a DTB.

Feb 2009

I don't think anyone is actively calling for bans at this point, but rather calling it like it is. Entomb is busted, there's no other word to describe it. If you look at the meta breakdown from GP Madrid, Reanimator was a very small slice of the pie, so the fact that so many Reanimator decks out of those ~2200 people did as well as they did is rather telling. I think following the win here, we will see more people playing it and the metagame begin to warp around it.

I could be wrong though. And I hope I'm wrong.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    I don't think anyone is actively calling for bans at this point, but rather calling it like it is. Entomb is busted, there's no other word to describe it. If you look at the meta breakdown from GP Madrid, Reanimator was a very small slice of the pie, so the fact that so many Reanimator decks out of those ~2200 people did as well as they did is rather telling. I think following the win here, we will see more people playing it and the metagame begin to warp around it.

I could be wrong though. And I hope I'm wrong.
    Well that's what I read. Anyway, I think one of the reasons it did well was because such a small percentage of people played it. No one was really prepared for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    Well that's what I read. Anyway, I think one of the reasons it did well was because such a small percentage of people played it. No one was really prepared for it.
    Reanimator poses less of a problem of hate, and more a problem of deck construction. There's almost no deck in the format right now in a position to realistically beat a turn one or two Iona naming the color of that deck's removal, so in many ways it's like dredge in that respect (always picking up game one barring weirdness). However, unlike dredge, it is in a much better position to combat hate because of maindeck counters and bounce spells, as well as only needing the graveyard briefly.

Then again, even if people successfully split their removal package between two colors to combat Iona, the deck can always just find Inkwell Leviathan and kill you that way.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    You could make the same argument for Tinker.
    Tinker is a one-card combo. Entomb needs some reanimate spell to put the creature onto the battelfield.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Reanimator poses less of a problem of hate, and more a problem of deck construction. There's almost no deck in the format right now in a position to realistically beat a turn one or two Iona naming the color of that deck's removal, so in many ways it's like dredge in that respect (always picking up game one barring weirdness). However, unlike dredge, it is in a much better position to combat hate because of maindeck counters and bounce spells, as well as only needing the graveyard briefly.
    This is kind of what I am trying to say. The deck has such an advantage game one because people are only packing removal of one color and then a big advantage game 2 and 3 becuse people aren't packing the right hate there either. I think if people split things up (like Swords and Edict or Swords and Sower or bounce and Edict, etc) then there would be less domincance. Time will tell if this is healthy for the format though because then again, it is limiting deck construction (ie mono colored decks, green and red decks, etc).

Then again, even if people successfully split their removal package between two colors to combat Iona, the deck can always just find Inkwell Leviathan and kill you that way.
    This too.

I just hate when people clamor for a banning when it did well on one weekend. Wait it out, see how it does. Don't just say ban when a deck does well.

Thread Information