Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Boros Landfall 2K10

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

[Deck] Boros Landfall 2K10

Hi all, So I've been testing a number of decks for the past couple of weeks. I'm about to sell off a large portion of my collection, while keeping two decks to play with forever. This is the deck that I've settled on playing for a long time. I wanted something that would fit my playstyle. Turning creatures sideways, while burning the creatures in the way, has always been my favorite. The deck is also really powerful.

Boros Landfall

-16 Creatures-
    4 Steppe Lynx
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Plated Geopede
    4 Kiln Fiend

-22 Spells-
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    3 Rift Bolt
    3 Lightning Helix
    3 Searing Blaze
    3 Reckless Charge
    2 Fireblast

-22 Lands-
    4 Wasteland
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Plateau
    1 Mountain
    1 Plains

As you can see, it's very straightforward, and very focussed. I'll give some basic card analysis.

THE CREATURES

4xSteppe Lynx : Steppe Lynx is the bread and butter of the landfall deck. He attacks as a 4/5 when you play a Fetchland for the turn. That is the single largest power and toughness for 1 mana in magic, and provides a very quick clock. The best turn 1 play this deck can produce. Amazing in conjunction with Reckless Charge, but we'll get to that.

4xGoblin Guide: 2/2 Haste for R is quite good. I try to cast him turns 2 and 3 to attack with other creatures, so he can sneak in some damage, and you can get extra value out of that Haste. If he swings and makes contact twice, he has done his job. He is a fine turn 1 play, but mediocre against blue opponents on the draw. A simple Brainstorm in response to his attack gives them an extra card, which can be painful. Still a powerful creature, and a welcome inclusion to the deck.

4xPlated Geopede: 5/5 First Strike for 2 mana is very good. This often leaves Tarmogoyf unable to block, which is a big deal. This is basically the Tarmogoyf of the Red Deck, and I have been very satisfied with his inclusion. Even attacking as a 3/3 First Strike, Often after Wasteland, is very powerful. Paired with Instant speed burn spells, this guy can kill just about everything and live to talk about it.

4xKiln Fiend: This creature is bonkers. First of all, my opponents usually see that I'm playing a Landfall variant, and throw target removal at my Lynxes and Geopedes. That leaves the ground open for Kiln Fiend, and that's not good. He has an effect similar to Warren Instigator in Goblins, in that your opponent cannot attack you and leave himself open for a counterswing. And even if he does leave someone back to block, you have a plethora of burn spells to char the blockers that would trade. Two swings unblocked is often GG. I love this creature for the deck!

BURN SPELLS

4xLightning Bolt: next!

4xChain Lightning: 4, mostly because of Kiln Fiend.

3xRift Bolt: This slot used to be Path to Exile, but I hated it's conflict with Wasteland. Can dodge Counter-Top, and set up really big turns with your Kiln Fiends. I only play 3.

3xSearing Blaze: This card is SO GOOD! 2 for 1 at 2 mana is exactly what this deck wants. While it's an instant, it's also a fine play at Sorcery speed. I only have room for 3, and I think that's a good number. It's dead in a few matchups, but stellar in most.

3xLightning Helix: Shouldn't need explanation.

2xFireblast: Always cast for 0 mana, Compliments Kiln Fiend so so well. Only room for 2, because you usually don't need one, but they're always a welcome draw when they show up. The perfect finisher.

RECKLESS CHARGE

3xReckless Charge: I give this card it's own section, because it isn't a burn spell, and it deserves it. It alone does so much for the deck. When I first discovered it's interaction with Steppe Lynx, I felt that I'd finally stumbled upon an interaction in Magic that was my own, and very powerful. The "trick" is to cast Steppe Lynx before you play a land for the turn. Then you play that land, which triggers Landfall, and cast Reckless Charge. This way, you benefit from the landfall for that turn, where you would never have been able to normally, due to summoning sickness. When the land you play after Steppe Lynx is a Fetchland, it attacks as a 7/5 Haste. Doing this turn 2 gives you maximum value. This trick can also be done turn 3 with a Plated Geopede in the same way. Geopede attacks as an 8/5 First strike, right out of nowhere. Kiln Fiend also comes in for 7 out of nowhere.

To be fair, spot removal is a bitch. STP or PTE in response leaves you down a card. Regardless, the value you generate with this card in many matchups is unlike anything else. Say you draw more than one Steppe Lynx or Plated Geopede. Without Reckless Charge, they become clunky. Landfall is a mechanic that requires you to get as much value out of your lands as you can. Reckless Charge allows multiple creatures to benefit from early land drops in a way they never would otherwise. This is an extremely important principle for this deck.

There are precautions you can take when playing this card. Obviously, letting your opponent tap out before you "go for it" is a good idea. Baiting early creatures for spot removal is a good idea. In short, play smart, and Reckless Charge will pay off for you, I promise.

MANABASE

4xWasteland. I knew I wanted to play a deck with Wasteland, and it's very good here. Steppe Lynx and Plated Geopede benefitting while you also set your opponent back is just... Lethal. It causes your opponent to stumble, can get them off White mana for removal, and just generally win you games you had no business of winning. Awesomesauce, basically.

4xPlateau. Mandatory. Having a white source to cast turn 1 Lynx is VERY important. You want to save those Fetchlands for later.

4xArid Mesa. Mandatory

8xRed Fetches. Could be any assortment of Bloodstained Mire, Wooded Foothills, or Scalding Tarn

1x Mountain + 1x Plains. Basics can be important :-P

CONCLUSION

So what you have, is 16 efficient creatures, 22 of the absolute best burn spells, and 22 Lands. There are 12 Fetchlands and 4 Wasteland to be used in conjunction with the Landfall creatures. The mana curve looks like this.

1cc / 22 (if you're counting Rift Bolt, which I do)
    2cc / 14
    3cc / 0
    4cc / 0
    5cc/ 0
    6cc/ 2 (fireblast, but really 0cc)

That's brutally efficient. The deck goes very fast, with big attack swings. Some SB options are...

Seal of Cleansing
    Sulfuric Vortex
    Silence
    Orim's Chant
    Faerie Macabre
    Tormod's Crypt
    Vexing Shusher
    Path to Exile

...and probably many others. I'll provide matchup analysis when I have more time. Tell me what you think!
    Last edited by troopatroop; 10-08-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Re: [Deck] Boros Landfall 2K10

I would probably add 4 Path to Exile to get rid of Goyfs and add the extended combo of Ghost Quarters and Flagstones. If you're playing 8 landfall guys it's probably much better than the Wastelands. Even playing the second Flagstones nets you 3 landfall triggers.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

That doesn't sound better to me at all. Ghost Quarter can never manascrew my opponent. You want me to blow up my own lands just for it to act as a fetchland? That puts me a Land down, and for what? Some more damage sometimes? That's a very weak strategy, just think about it. There's no room for Flagstones in the deck, and Ghost Quarter seems bad. Much worse than Wasteland.

I already mentioned how Path messes with Wasteland. Tarmogoyf isn't a huge problem for this deck.

Let me just say, that this isn't just a Landfall deck. Going into deckbuilding with that premise is wrong, because you're justifying the inclusion of mediocre cards, simply because they have synergy with that mechanic. You're not always going to draw your Landfall creatures, and the deck runs fine without them now. Playing Ghost Quarter and Flagstones makes the deck highly dependant on landfall, and it doesn't need to be. This is not extended.

Any thoughts? Even if it's just a "looks good!", I'd really appreciate it.

know-it-all
    Sep 2009
    the end of the line

looks good!

No really, it does to me.
    And I agree with you in that a) Tarmogoyf shouldn't be that much of a problem as your dudes are bigger and faster and b) Ghost Quarter IS the wrong inclusion.
    Almost every deck out there plays at least a set of basic lands in their colors, so Quarter needs Crucible of Worlds to become somewhat effective - and this certainly is too clunky for the deck.

The only thing I'd be careful about is the number of Wastelands. Sure, it fits the deck, but are SIX color-producing lands really enough? I think you will have to fetch first turn more often than having a plains (or mountain) in your opening 7.

Apr 2008
    Madison, WI

Do you run into issues with your fetch lands? You have 12 fetches, but only 6 targets. Is your curve so low that it doesn't really matter? Also, what is Wasteland really providing? It won't help you in your first few turns and you should be winning soon afterwards. Maybe changing -4 Wastland +3 Mountain +1 Fireblast might make the early turns more consistent.

EDIT: Seems I'm agreeing with AlterEgo.

Hostile to humans

Mar 2008
    Moscow, Russia

It looks great! =)

I think Helix can be replaced 'cause the deck is faster than most other decks in format, so that 3 life is almost nothing. And just 3 damage for 2 mana is not exiting at all...
    If you cut Helix, the deck needs only 1 white mana, so you don't need basic Plains (you want to have on turn 2 anyway to be able to cast Searing Blaze on that pesky Nacatl).

I'm working on close concept and I must say that [cards]Crop Rotation[/cards is very nice here 'cause it's 2 additional Landfall triggers, can find you Wasteland and pumps Fiend for mana. And IMHO you will almost never notice the lack of basics if you just go -2 basics, +2 Taiga.

When you add green Ancient Grudge is great SP choice 'cause it kills Chalice on 1, does the job twice and pump Kiln Fiend twice.

Also, Manamorphose is another possible "pump Fiend for " and also digs your landfall triggers.

Here is my current list:

CRAPFALL

LANDS (21)
    4 Plateau
    2 Taiga
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Arid Mesa
    3 Scalding Tarn
    4 Wasteland

BEATERS (16)
    4 Steppe Lynx
    4 Kiln Fiend
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Plated Geopede

BURN (13)
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Fireblast
    4 Chain Lightning
    3 Searing Blaze

OTHER (10)
    3 Reckless Charge
    4 Manamorphose
    3 Crop Rotation
    Last edited by eq.firemind; 04-30-2010 at 02:04 AM.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

And where Knight of Reliquary is? With such number of fetches + wastelands.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Think of a boros landfall deck as well. But i rather use the Flagstone of Trokair, Ghost Quarter, Zektar Shrine Expedition, Second Sunrise and probly some Grim Lavamancer and Jötun Grunt then Kiln Fiend + Reckless charge.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

For the people asking about the 12 Fetchlands and only 6 Targets, It is never a problem. This isn't a lategame deck. You're trying to win the game turns 3-4, and you only need to accumulate 2-4 lands. Your fear of running out of lands to fetch is extremely unlikely. 4 Plateau,2 basics is fine. Also, fetching first turn for a Plateau to play Steppe Lynx is fine. You'll usually have more than 1 fetch in the first 10 cards you see, and attacking for 2 is okay.

People saying Wasteland doesn't help you in the first couple turns is funny! Wasteland helps YOU by crippling THEM! It sets them back a FULL TURN and allows you to get an extra attack in! Keeping them off mana to cast game winning spells absolutely helps. Not everything is about the Goldfish, and Wasteland also triggers landfall.

I don't like Crop Rotation. Yes it can do some cool things, but there is DANGER in cool things. It's a win-more card in my opinion, and card disadvatange. It requires a Landfall guy to be good, and sucks on its own. Say it's turn 10, you're out of cards and you need to draw a burn spell or a creature to have a chance. You draw Crop Rotation. If a card isn't good almost all of the time, I don't want to play it. You shouldn't either.

I'm not playing Knight because I'm not playing green. It also doesn't do anything until turn 4, and that isn't this decks focus.

Keep them coming!

Nov 2008
    Michigan, USA

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    Let me just say, that this isn't just a Landfall deck. Going into deckbuilding with that premise is wrong, because you're justifying the inclusion of mediocre cards, simply because they have synergy with that mechanic. You're not always going to draw your Landfall creatures, and the deck runs fine without them now. Playing Ghost Quarter and Flagstones makes the deck highly dependant on landfall, and it doesn't need to be. This is not extended.
    First off because you seem very hostile towards people questioning your manabase, I am only trying to give you suggestions and to clarify a few things I am not quite clear on. It seems that this deck is a fast beater as long as you have a steady income of fetches. By saying this deck can function without a reliance on landfall seems sketchy to me(mainly because you have 8/16 of your permanent threats don't do anything with a land light hand.) Granted you could get a nuts draw of kiln fiend and a ton of instants/sorceries...

I am not sold on searing blaze. It looks good, but I am just thinking that you might want to at least add the fourth rift bolt in place of one. 3cc is much safer to try and resolve. 'Specially when you only have to pay 1cc for it.

Have you looked into including: Benevolent Bodyguard, Aven Mindscenser, Spark Elemental, Hellspark Elemental, Ball Lightning, Zektar Shrine thing? Some of the choices are not the fastest, but they throw more damage onto the board.

In this list I would think that a few more lands would be good. Like one more basic in place of a fetch. 12:6 ratio fetches to lands is kinda risky. You can say there is no late game, but what happens when the deck gets to turn 7? Do you just scoop and move on to the next game? I am also not sold on reckless charge. I think there are too many spot removals and you open yourself up for 2:1. Of course this is not to say it cannot work for you. Also agree that lightning helix isn't that good if the deck runs so fast.

I like this deck as it is a nice change from all the cookie cutter lists I see, and I have always been a fan of boros. I think that you are also writing off flagstones a bit too soon. It is a good card that doesn't make the deck heavily relient on landfall. Even without a landfall trigger on the board it is still a deck thinner (and I do realize that you run 12 fetches. Just saying that if you change the mana base it might work)

If you have done any testing with this how is your matchups with some of the DTB lists?

And again these are only other options to consider.

I don't like Crop Rotation. Yes it can do some cool things, but there is DANGER in cool things. It's a win-more card in my opinion, and card disadvatange. It requires a Landfall guy to be good, and sucks on its own. Say it's turn 10, you're out of cards and you need to draw a burn spell or a creature to have a chance. You draw Crop Rotation. If a card isn't good almost all of the time, I don't want to play it.
    So put one of Barbarian Ring,Teetering Peaks, or a mandland in the deck.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by Resist_Temptation View Post
    First off because you seem very hostile towards people questioning your manabase, I am only trying to give you suggestions and to clarify a few things I am not quite clear on. It seems that this deck is a fast beater as long as you have a steady income of fetches. By saying this deck can function without a reliance on landfall seems sketchy to me(mainly because you have 8/16 of your permanent threats don't do anything with a land light hand.) Granted you could get a nuts draw of kiln fiend and a ton of instants/sorceries...
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, let me clarify. I'm running 22 lands because I want to hit landfall alot. If they were all colored sources, I could probably get away with 18-20 lands on the manacurve alone. I choose to run the 2-4 extra lands in order to consistently hit landfall a bit more. Of course having a steady stream of lands is important. What I was saying, is this deck doesn't need its Landfall creatures to win.

I am not sold on searing blaze. It looks good, but I am just thinking that you might want to at least add the fourth rift bolt in place of one. 3cc is much safer to try and resolve. 'Specially when you only have to pay 1cc for it.
    I think Searing Blaze does more than Rift Bolt. Think of the Merfolk, Goblins, and Zoo matchup. Any matchup where you're playing against creatures. Searing Blaze often does 3 more damage, for 0 cards and 1 more mana. That's important.

Have you looked into including: Benevolent Bodyguard, Aven Mindscenser, Spark Elemental, Hellspark Elemental, Ball Lightning, Zektar Shrine thing? Some of the choices are not the fastest, but they throw more damage onto the board.
    I'll go through these one at a time.

Benevolent Bodyguard

The first problem is he's a 1/1 for W. Terrible Topdeck. Trying to be reactive isn't good, I wouldn't maindeck it.

Aven Mindcensor

Maindecked? its 3cc counter fetchlands...sometimes? Terrible card, made me LOL

Spark Elemental

Another lightning bolt that can be blocked? This card is worse than Burst Lightning.

Hellspark Elemental

He's a fine creature, but how is better than other cards I'm playing? He's not that powerful.

Ball Lightning

Vulnerable to alot of things, and huge tempo loss if he fails. Decent card.

Zektar Shrine Expedition

Pretty bad. If you play this turn 2, it takes 3 more lands before it does anything. Then when it does, your opponent had all the time in the world to come up with an answer, and theres many out there. 2cc Creatures are much better!

And what we have is a series of medicre suggestions. None of those cards are better than the ones I'm playing. Find me something to take out for these cards, a simple + and -, and I'll give it some real thought. None of those cards are great, the best being Ball Lightning.
    In this list I would think that a few more lands would be good. Like one more basic in place of a fetch. 12:6 ratio fetches to lands is kinda risky.
    I stand BY what I said, and I question you to do the MATH and tell me why it matters. You'd need to draw 3-4 normal lands out of 6!in one game to even see the problem at all, then having only 3-2 Fetchland activations you could use after that. That's very unlikely, and hardly inconvenient at all. I've yet to play a game where I ran out of lands to fetch. Also, I would never cut a fetchland for a basic, it doesn't make any sense. You want as many Fetches as you can get!

You can say there is no late game, but what happens when the deck gets to turn 7? Do you just scoop and move on to the next game?
    This is a rather snide comment. Of course not, what I said is that the deck rarely gets there. Burn spells usually finish the game once it goes past 7 turns, but you have to ask yourself why you were that slow to begin with. The deck is actually fine past turn 7, because everything in the deck is a Spell or a Threat. Reckless Charge in the graveyard is also good lategame, which leads me to...

I am also not sold on reckless charge. I think there are too many spot removals and you open yourself up for 2:1.
    I'd be willing to wager you haven't even tried it, and wouldn't know how to play it right even if you did. I already referenced how removal becomes a 2 for 1. What you fail to see, if that when they don't HAVE the STP, which should be around half the time, Reckless Charge can turn into a 7-8dmg 1cc spell. Reckless Charge is BONKERS with Landfall creatures, and not every deck will have spot removal for everything! You also have so many big threats, it's easy for them to make a mistake.

The point is, these matchups usually hinge on their STP's and such. They either have it or they don't. Read them.

Also agree that lightning helix isn't that good if the deck runs so fast.
    This is just silly. Why give up the 3 life that Helix gives us? It's still a burn spell, and the 3 life is often wonderful in real games of magic. Just because the deck is quick doesn't mean we should stop playing the most powerful spells! Gaining life is always pretty good. It gives you more time to draw burn spells and finish the game.

I like this deck as it is a nice change from all the cookie cutter lists I see, and I have always been a fan of boros. I think that you are also writing off flagstones a bit too soon. It is a good card that doesn't make the deck heavily relient on landfall. Even without a landfall trigger on the board it is still a deck thinner (and I do realize that you run 12 fetches. Just saying that if you change the mana base it might work)

If you have done any testing with this how is your matchups with some of the DTB lists?

And again these are only other options to consider.
    What does Flagstones do exactly? Besides being a plains that I can't fetch. Think before you speak, it does nothing! it works with Ghost Quarter to trigger landfall 3 times, but does nothing without it. Playing this combination of cards DOES make you reliant on landfall CREATURES.

Which is what I said all along. All of your suggestions are... just weak. I appreciate the effort, but you're way offbase.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    So put one of Barbarian Ring,Teetering Peaks, or a mandland in the deck.
    Sometimes those cards aren't going to get it done. The point is, I cant play green without weakening the manabase, and I'd rather not do that.
    Last edited by troopatroop; 04-29-2010 at 11:35 PM.

Have you thought of Berserk? It has good synergy with Kiln Fiend, and, well, any landfall creature that has been double landfalled. Maybe in the Reckless Charge spot, trample can be very relevant. The downside is that it isn't very good on Goblin Guide. Another thing you could try is Rancor. Again, trample can be relevant. Sure, you have to have three colors, but if Zoo can do it, so can you.

Jan 2010
    Davis, CA

What does Flagstones do exactly? Besides being a plains that I can't fetch. Think before you speak, it does nothing! it works with Ghost Quarter to trigger landfall 3 times, but does nothing without it. Playing this combination of cards DOES make you reliant on landfall CREATURES.
    I'd say running the landfall creatures at all makes you reliant upon them, It's not necessarily the lands that do this. Do what you want but there's no need for condescension here.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by sclabman View Post
    I'd say running the landfall creatures at all makes you reliant upon them, It's not necessarily the lands that do this. Do what you want but there's no need for condescension here.
    Okay, but everything in degrees. I think they work just fine with only Fetchlands. Some people prefer Crop Rotation in addition, I do not. Running strategies like Ghost Quarter -> Flagstones or Crop Rotation makes you much more reliant on those Creatures.

Nov 2008
    Michigan, USA

I am just going to take this time and ask why you are asking for help? I gave suggestions that were relevant. I agree aven mindscensor is bad in here, but I take every chance I can to sell that card. Ball lightning is a tempo loss, but yet running a creature buff is permitted?

And when you give me a suggestion like "give it some real thought before suggesting," you should take that into your own posts. How about you take a night off and calm yourself because you are full of hostility, and out of the cards I suggested they are all efficient DMG:CC. Yeah they can block spark elemental, but they can also block your creature you throw a reckless charge on. If you are going to play that game you are going to lose. And zektar shrine.....with all the fetches you run can be down on turn 2 and active by turn 4.

The main reason behing me not liking searing blaze is that it is a 2cc. counterbalance happens to be very prevalent in the format. and if you are going to try and tell me they will be dead before they get it online....you are living on a prayer.

Your arguments are not making sense. Obviously you think this deck is perfect so you might as well just delete the thread.

Jul 2008
    Brighton, MI

I completely agree with the lack of Ghost Quarter in the deck, that card is awful in decks that aren't Lands (and not even amazing in Lands).

However, what about Shard Volley/Flagstones? It lets you surprise your opponents with a landfall, turns your extra Wastelands into a second landfall for yourself, and you can get a 3rd landfall if you play a second one onto the first one. It does make RR a little harder for Searing Blaze though.

Hostile to humans

Mar 2008
    Moscow, Russia

Done some testing with my Crapfall list yesterday.
    General conclusions:
    1) As expected, Searing Blaze is MVP. 3 is a good MD number and I think about 4th in SB. Think about it as 6 damage for 2 mana.
    2) People, you shouldn't dought in Reckless Charge! That card is godly.
    3) Crop Rotation gave me 3-8 damage for mana and was involved in many turn 3 kills and even one turn 2 kill. Tutoring for Wasteland is good too. Sure, it's bad if you have no creatures, but, like Reckless Charge, it creates huge amounts of damage for very low cost (by the way, it works very well with Charge). And it works with 12 creatures (Landfall and Fiend), so I'll keep 3 in MD for now.
    4) The whole Manamorphose thing needs more tests, but it seems to be at least not bad. And it slightly improves your chances to see cards you sided in.
    5) Since the deck runs Kiln Fiend and the dude is so good, the SB must contain Instants and Sorceries to not screw Fiend in G2&3. Ancient Grudge is Good if you run green, Smash to Smithereens is nice if you don't. Coffin Purge could be perfect, but it's black. I'm testing Krosan Reclamation now and it's not bad.
    Noticable games:
    Won against Reanimator. Bash through T2 Leviathan in G1 (Fiend rocks), killed Empyrial Archangel 2 times in G2(first reanimation on turn 2) (Geopede+fetch+Charge) and then stopped the third reanimation with Krosan Reclamation
    Won against Dragon Stompy. He had turn 1 Chalice all 3 games. G1 was all about Geopede and Landfall and Searing Blaze. G2 he smacks me with Jitte. G3 I drew Ancient Grudge and burned him after smashing Chalice.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

I should include at least a couple of Undiscovered paradise so youŽll have landfall all the time.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by Resist_Temptation View Post
    I am just going to take this time and ask why you are asking for help? I gave suggestions that were relevant. I agree aven mindscensor is bad in here, but I take every chance I can to sell that card. Ball lightning is a tempo loss, but yet running a creature buff is permitted?
    I ask for help, because I'm not the best player/deckbuilder on these boards. If I'm gonna play this deck full time, I want it to be perfect.

Reckless Charge isn't just creature buff, it's like a reverse Time Walk. It gives your creatures Haste, so they attack a full turn earlier than they normally would. That makes Reckless Charge worth 3dmg + the Power of the creature attacking. That is often 4-5 more damage than normal 1cc burn spells, and why it can be justified. Yes 2 for 1's are a loss of tempo, but unanswered it's a huge tempo gain. Reckless Charge is NOT Brute Force

And when you give me a suggestion like "give it some real thought before suggesting," you should take that into your own posts. How about you take a night off and calm yourself because you are full of hostility, and out of the cards I suggested they are all efficient DMG:CC.
    I apologize if I came off as hostile, but I'm a very critical thinker. I'm not attacking you, but your suggestions. I feel that given the facts, the cards you suggested are not better than the cards currently in the deck. I understand that it's hard to find cards better than Rift Bolt or Lightning Helix, and considering those are probably the weakest slots in the deck, maybe I'm asking too much. Still, that doesn't make Benevolent Bodyguard or Aven Mindcensor efficient DMG:CC. Just because I'm hostile doesn't make me wrong, welcome to the internet.

Yeah they can block spark elemental, but they can also block your creature you throw a reckless charge on.
    Let me go further in depth. Spark Elemental is a weak card imo, and many people play him in their burn decks. First of all, he's a creature that will only live for one attack step. If he attacks and gets through, which is often going to happen, he's going to do 3 damage. Now, that isn't always what's going to happen. Theres a chance that he will be blocked. He trades with anything 1-3 toughness, and your opponent blocking and trading is probably the best thing that can happen. That way you're trading 1for1 on cards, and Spark Elemental was going to die anyways. Unfortunately, Anything with an ass of 4 or < stops you from being able to use Spark Elemental. Also consider, is it smart to Lightning Bolt/Chain Lightning your opponents life total turn 1? Not really. You go down a card, and have no effect on the board. Spark Elemental is basically an obsolete burn spell. Late in the game, I'd much rather be playing Burn in his place, since that can always be thrown at my opponent. Spark Elemental is conditional, and being a creature isn't good in his case. He also doesn't pump Kiln Fiend.

I simply mentioned that he can be "blocked", because in short, it's why he's not good enough. You draw a comparison to Reckless Charge that doesn't make sense. If they have a creature to block, you're gonna see that. I'm not gonna run my creature into an infavorable block, especially if I have some burn to clear the way. If they're blocking and my creature lives (Steppe Lynx, Geopede), I'm fine with that.

And zektar shrine.....with all the fetches you run can be down on turn 2 and active by turn 4.
    That still doesn't make it a good turn 2 play! Creatures are so much better, also I'd much rather play Searing Blaze turn 2. Zektar Shrine isn't good enough for Legacy, and I stand by that. It has no effect on the board, and your opponent sees is coming from a mile away. It's also a terrible topdeck, you've got to look at a card from all angles.

The main reason behing me not liking searing blaze is that it is a 2cc. counterbalance happens to be very prevalent in the format. and if you are going to try and tell me they will be dead before they get it online....you are living on a prayer.
    Obviously this deck doesn't have a good Counterbalance matchup. Playing a different card in the Searing Blaze slot isn't going to change that. The main weapons we have are SB cards. Seal of Cleansing, Duergar Hedgemage, and Cleanfall. Your only hope against them is to resolve creatures early, Wasteland important lands, and play as tight as you can. Searing Blaze is very good against many decks, sometimes even good against Counter-Top (Hierarch,Pridemage,Trygon).

Your arguments are not making sense. Obviously you think this deck is perfect so you might as well just delete the thread.
    I think my comments make alot of sense, and I put serious thought into them. Your arguments are actually pretty baseless, and quite frustrating to respond to like this. If you can't refute what someone is saying with facts of your own, you're probably not in the right. I understand that this can be frustrating, but it's also frustrating trying to articulate to someone why they're wrong over the internet. Saying that I think my deck is perfect is incorrect. I'm aware that it could be better, which is why I'm posting it. I do stand by my card choices however, and reserve my right to compare them to the ones you suggested. You may not like the way I present things, but it doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Thread Information