Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Aeon Bridge

Re: [Deck] Aeon Bridge

If that plan were amazing, we'd all still be playing Dreadstill.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

While I like Stifle to play tempo - this deck needs something more reliable to stop recurring annoyances like Wasteland or Karakas, even AEther Vial can be a problem sometimes.

I'm also not sure if I'm playing this deck correctly. There are many turns where I'm literally doing nothing and just passing the turn to draw into gas, or into Dreadnought to trigger Mosswort Bridge, or waiting to draw into Bridge so I can fire off an Emrakul, or waiting to draw a Show and Tell to cheat it into play. Maybe my luck is just bad, but there are many turns where I feel like I'm not advancing my goals and getting beat down instead.

Nightmare - can you provide a few sample hands and discuss what you consider is a good hand, and what you consider is a weak hand?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    If that plan were amazing, we'd all still be playing Dreadstill.
    So, rather than discuss the deck, you're going to dismiss it on the platform that you don't like the Stifle-Dreadnought Interaction? That doesn't seem like the sort of discussion that should really be in the thread.

Or perhaps you are proposing just using Deadnought as only an enabler for Mosswort Bridge and to not include a disruption piece that can enable it as a win condition. Because with that line of play makes it so that the only path to victory is Show and Tell Emrakul or Play Dreadnought with a Mosswort Bridge hiding an Emrakul. If that is what you're suggesting - that's the worst.

Needle is also awful all over, especially game 1 - where at least Stifle can stop something. In fact, nearly time I was Duress/Thoughtseized Stifle was the card that was taken (Over Force, Misdirection, some other blue card.) And I really didn't think that was the wrong play.

And while we're doing off-topic stuff - I believe there was a tournament report about Dreadstill coming in second at BoM 4. That's odd.

It is comments like the ones you've made are which are the reason why I stole my signature from Dinosaur Comics. I don't really understand why you've been trolling this thread with the most absurd and awful ideas.
    Last edited by Master Shake; 05-21-2010 at 03:10 PM.
    Team Bad Guys

I have come up with an excellent way to be happy! Every time someone says a sentence I simply add on a few words after it:
    Quote Originally Posted by You
    In my opinion, I mean and I'm probably totally wrong!
    Oh my goodness, it's been so great. People with stupid opinions now immediately acknowledge how dumb they are! Internet fights still have all the swears and name calling but now they're instantly undermined by my new suffix.

D1 Athlete
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
    So, rather than discuss the deck, you're going to dismiss it on the platform that you don't like the Stifle-Dreadnought Interaction? That doesn't seem like the sort of discussion that should really be in the thread.

Or perhaps you are proposing just using Deadnought as an en onlyabler for Mosswort Bridge and to not include a disruption piece that can enable it as a win condition. Because with that line of play makes it so that the only path to victory is Show and Tell Emrakul or Play Dreadnought with a Mosswort Bridge hiding an Emrakul. If that is what you're suggesting - that's the worst.

Needle is also awful all over, especially game 1 - where at least Stifle can stop something. In fact, nearly time I was Duress/Thoughtseized Stifle was the card that was taken (Over Force, Misdirection, some other blue card.) And I really didn't think that was the wrong play.

And while we're doing off-topic stuff - I believe there was a tournament report about Dreadstill coming in second at BoM 4. That's odd.

It is comments like the ones you've made are why I stole my signature from Dinosaur Comics. I don't really understand why you've been trolling this thread with the most absurd and awful ideas.
    I think he's referring to pithing needle on dreadnaught
    Si, I like cereal.

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

I intend to give this deck another run with Ponder over See Beyond - Considering that this is a combo deck, Ponder seems much more well suited to setting up a fast win, rather than just helping to shuffle away a bad card.

I'm torn between wanting to play LDV and Worldly Tutor, I may rather just play additional Stifle effects or Misdirection over the Worldly tutor, there was only one time I ever Went Worldly Tutor into Emrakul, but there have been a couple of times where I have used it to get a second Dreadnought.
    Team Bad Guys

I have come up with an excellent way to be happy! Every time someone says a sentence I simply add on a few words after it:
    Quote Originally Posted by You
    In my opinion, I mean and I'm probably totally wrong!
    Oh my goodness, it's been so great. People with stupid opinions now immediately acknowledge how dumb they are! Internet fights still have all the swears and name calling but now they're instantly undermined by my new suffix.

4 Show and Tell
    4 Lim-Dul's Vault
    4 Force of Will
    3 Daze
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Stifle
    1 Trickbind
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    3 Lotus Petal
    4 Mosswort Bridge
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Island
    1 Forest

I've done minor tuning.. Cutting See Beyond and the redundant green tutor. Replaced CD (card disadvantage) moxes with 3 petals since you mostly need accel for SnT anyway. I bet this speeds up the deck a bit, more consistent/quality draws with Ponders + 6 fetches. 2cc cantrips seem slow. Lastly, I added the missing combo/disruption piece (Trickbind).

Feb 2010
    Houston,texas

Living Wish? I am sure it has passed through most of your minds but tell me the reasons not to include it? You can find Emrakul if you have SnT. You can find Mossbridge if you have Emrakul on top. You can find dreadnought if you have Mossbridge. You can even find karakas, maze of ith, etc..

Have you guys tested Ancestral Knowledge? I have always loved this card. Pruning any number of ten cards and rearranging the rest is incredible. In ten cards you are likely to find one of, Mossbridge, dreadnought, emrakul, SnT. Trust me, AK is worth a try.

Feb 2010
    Houston,texas

Living Wish? I am sure it has passed through most of your minds but tell me the reasons not to include it? You can find Emrakul if you have SnT. You can find Mossbridge if you have Emrakul on top. You can find dreadnought if you have Mossbridge. You can even find karakas, maze of ith, etc..

Have you guys tested Ancestral Knowledge? I have always loved this card. Pruning any number of ten cards and rearranging the rest is incredible. In ten cards you are likely to find one of, Mossbridge, dreadnought, emrakul, SnT. Trust me, AK is worth a try.

It's hard to pay the upkeep cost every time when you can just spend mana to tutor pieces or disrupt the opponent. When it leaves play, you also shuffle your library which is futile. LDV works better than wish since it finds also the sorceries and instants.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

So for only the second time in my life I took someone else's deck to a competitive environment. (It wasn't quite a tournament.) I have some observations to report.

This deck has a hard freaking time against lands. I don't mean the deck "Lands". I mean the card type. In case you hadn't noticed, Karakas is now officially everywhere. "Just as the format is adjusting to Iona" is a bad time to be introducing this deck. Wasteland is obviously also a problem. Even Rishadan Port essentially shuts an element of this deck off. By the way, since we are on the subject, Mangara and Oblivion Ring are also not fun for this deck. The guy even had Goldmeadow Harrier. So you can predict my matches against D+T.

While I like Stifle to play tempo - this deck needs something more reliable to stop recurring annoyances like Wasteland or Karakas, even AEther Vial can be a problem sometimes.
    This is my sentiment exactly. The deck has such serious problems with some really common lands. Maybe Stifle and Needle are both necessary. If they are I don't think the deck is going to work in the long run, though it may still be worth pursuing it. The crappy part about these measures is that Thoughtseize doesn't even protect us against them since it can't hit lands. I think Thoughtseize has to go.

But also,
    Merfolk is starting to use Seal of Removal more often.
    I have not experienced it, but I will bet that Goblins can keep Mosswort Bridge out of the picture often enough to race the Show And Tell'd Emrakul.

I think the deck needs a plan B that does not involve attacking with Emrakul. I already tried the deck out with no green and no Dreadnoughts. I used red in its place and liked it well enough to offer it as an alternative. The reason: Erratic Explosion. If the deck can reliably kill in this completely different manner, opponents will have a much, much harder time defending it. The problem - it's still only 15 damage. You have to manage the rest in some other way or cast it twice.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Lands are, in fact, an issue for the deck. I'm aware of that, but it's something that's difficult to really deal with in any meaningful way, aside from the 4 Stifle in the main and 3 Pithing Needle in the board.

Death and Taxes is not, nor has ever been, a concern of mine. It can have a 100% matchup against this deck and I would not change a single card because of it. It would appear, yes, that it's a rough matchup, but as I've played against the deck in exactly one sanctioned match ever - which was almost 5 years ago - I'm not really worried.

At one point I was running Red instead of black in order to access Firespout. I was also running more Worldly Tutors and Goyf. This went a long way to improve the aggro matchups, obviously, but it ultimately felt like a weaker deck. You gave up a lot of speed to play a more controlling game, when in reality you should have just been trying to win faster than they could disrupt you.

I've taken some of the considerations in the thread to heart, replacing the See Beyonds with the Ponders they used to be. I've also cut a card for an additional land, which has been good obviously. I'm testing a list with lands in place of the Chrome Moxen to see what that does for consistency, I'm not positive it will be a true improvement, but I don't believe the loss of a turn here and there will be more important than the additional security of the manabase. The interesting thing to me, however, is that Chrome Mox played more like an un-disruptable mana source than acceleration most of the time, and I may actually miss that more than anything. Lands can't Port or Waste a Chrome Mox.

I'll keep you guys posted on whether I consider these changes improvements, or if anything else in the deck switches around.

Take a look at this new deck:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=242014

It's basically a bastard child of Storm and your Aeon Bridge deck.

How much advantage do you get from running your own Karakas to Legend rule theirs? The mana is probably too awful to consider making the change, but it's something to think about.

P.S., Master Shake: I'm not trolling, I just don't like the card Stifle. I think Needle has more value than it. I'm willing to be wrong on this issue, but I'm going to offer suggestions I think are valid. Personally, I think the Stifle-Dreadnaught plan is awful, and most people have moved away from it. I will point out that many people posted in the thread that they had problems stopping Karakas long enough to get two swings. Needle lets you spend mana pre-combo to stop Karakas instead of on the combo turn, where your mana is tighter.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

I cannot figure out how Bridge->Nought gets you around the Nought trigger. It's driving me nuts. Can someone explain this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Take a look at this new deck:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=242014

It's basically a bastard child of Storm and your Aeon Bridge deck.
    Except that we never saw Nightmare's list when developing the deck. To be honest, it's not like "cheating fattie into play" backed by cheap cantrips, tutoring, and disruption is a novel concept. I mean, there's been Dragon, Flash, Cephalid Breakfast, Reanimator, random Show and Tell decks, the original Mosswort Bridge/Protean Hulk deck, etc, etc.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    I cannot figure out how Bridge->Nought gets you around the Nought trigger. It's driving me nuts. Can someone explain this?
    It doesn't, unless of course you flip up a Stifle or another Nought with Bridge. The main goal, though, is to play Nought, activate Bridge with its ability on the stack, play Emrakul, then sacrifice Nought, and pretty much win.

Vatija Mlohavich
    May 2010
    Croatia

And if possible win by stifling nought then, and hitting for over 9000 dmg the next turn

Apr 2006
    Worcester/Boston, MA

I personally don't like Crop Rotation at all because it messes up the top of your library, but it does help a little against both Wasteland and Karakas (if you ran a one-of Karakas in the sideboard). It seems like you should be able to play around Karakas without too much trouble though; wait until you have Show and Tell or Stifle, or enough extra mana to tutor for Show and Tell during your second upkeep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggl3s
    Ya, your such an amazing player iOwn (should be changed to iPwn FTW) you surpass me with your amazing chalice 1 skillzorz

Whats the purpose of Lim-Dul's Vault in this deck ? Also, whats the reason for the low land count ?

It functions as a multi-purpose tutor, sorta like an instant speed Imperial Seal except it costs U more, lets you set up the extra 4 cards on top of your libray, and can pitch to Force. The earliest deck I know that utilize it was Necropotence/Mirror Universe way back when Mirror was newly unrestricted in vintage

Thread Information