200. You may not vote on this poll
  • More Fun Without Mystical Tutor

75 37.50%
  • Less Fun Without Mystical Tutor

78 39.00%
  • Not Sure / Likes Both / etc.

47 23.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: Is Legacy More or Less Fun Without Mystical Tutor?

GOB: The Gathering
    Dec 2007

Re: Poll: Is Legacy More or Less Fun Without Mystical Tutor?

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I voted "yes,"
    I realized after I posted that I did this too, even though it's an OR question not a YES/NO one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I like jerking off just as much as anyone, but it's definitely more "fun" when you're doing it with someone else.
    This post is useless w/o pics.

XIII
    Jun 2009
    Germany

More fun.

Idiot-Combo.decs disappeard and control might finally be playable again.

At east that is what I hope for and it might actually be reasonable, I think ~a month after Columbus we will have our new metagame in gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by pi4meterftw View Post
    Well you can expect whatever you want but you'd only expect what you said if you were retarded.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Dammit who are these 16 that voted undecided? I hate those types.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Mystical saw about zero play until Ad Nauseam got printed. Tendrils combo and reanimator are still very playable. I think everyone is overreacting.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
    Dec 2003
    Fredericksburg, Va

I seriously doubt that Mystical's banning is going to cause enough of a shake-up to somehow make the proverbial "control decks" any good. The format is still going to be incredibly diverse, and there will still be plenty of non-beatdown decks to contend with. No deck that was unplayable last month will suddenly become amazing this month.

All the banning really did was make Reanimator and ANT less consistent and resilient. Realize that those decks don't really lose any raw power with Mystical gone; most of their best draws are still intact. Sure, it's a little less likely for your opponent to find and cast Entomb->Reanimate by the second turn, now, but I don't know how much solace that will be the next time you get blown out by it, anyway.

To me, making non-dominant decks less consistent doesn't sound like a way to make the format more fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9
    I can show up whenever I vomit off my hangover and get rid of the passed out females who's naked bodies will be sprawled out all over my condo. Oh wait, I'm engaged. FUCK.

Well in that case I can be there at like 2 then, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheBestEver View Post
    I built my car with my bare hands. It has 32 engines and 17 gas pedals so I can go extra-turbo fast. I sold it for a million dollars and then stole it from the guy using my super computer that can hack into any car in the world as long as I built it. Now I speed down the highway listening to Bruce Springsteen at max volume and flipping off other drivers.

What are regrets?

Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    I think the format will actually be more diverse since it opens up control decks to actually be viable.
    The format gets more diverse every time they print a new block. No reason to prematurely rush things along. If anything, they should have just printed a better hate card.

Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate Freely View Post
    I seriously doubt that Mystical's banning is going to cause enough of a shake-up to somehow make the proverbial "control decks" any good.
    Exactly.

Feb 2008
    Leiden - Netherlands

More fun.

I was getting really tired of losing to turn 1 Duress taking FoW, Mystical into Ad Nauseam for the loss 7 times / tournament.

Good riddance.
    This message has been deleted by Nightmare. Reason: Boo fucking hoo

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Meh.

I voted "don't know." The ban shouldn't do anything to the format. Storm isn't weaker, however it is much harder to play. The pilots have less control over what goes on, and will need to be able to see more lines of play to put up the same results. Reanimator is now half a turn slower and loses a lot of sideboard flexibility. It's probably tier 1.5 instead of tier 1.

The only way the ban affects the format significantly is if players act like the sky is falling and decide not to play Storm and Reanimator despite their continued strength.

In any case, I rarely played decks with Mystical Tutor, so if anything this helps me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

I voted less, mostly because with mystical tutor gone, every non-ichorid combo deck is kind of $$$.

Team Lucksack - Founder
    Oct 2007
    Columbus, Ohio

More fun, it creates fewer 'whoops, i win' games that cannot be disrupted even by free counterspells. I can see why wizards did this, they want magic to be about the combat zone, and this means fewer games where an aggro decks sits down against reanimator or ANT and doesn't actually get to play Magic against their opponent.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
    Except for the part where it's impossible for them to win through Counterbalance. Sure, they could try tutoring for Wipe Away in response, or Grip, but it's not that difficult to counter a tutor.
    The day a resolved Countertop isn't good against combo is the day I quit Legacy. There is nowhere to go if you don't have free counters and a fast clock vs. ANT though. There are lots of good anti-combo cards available to non-blue that should slow a combo deck down enough to win, but Mystical Tutor didn't let that happen. Mystical Tutor effectively let combo have a 45 card sideboard. I mean 8-9x silver bullets, multiply those by 5 because a tutor can get one anytime, and you only have to answer most hate cards the turn you go off. You could be playing Zoo, drop a first turn Wild Nactyl, second turn Cannonist, third turn Canonist and another Nacytl with a Fireblast in hand and lose because your opponent brought in 1x Echoing Truth, EOT tutored for it, untapped and comboed out. I'm not saying combo should always lose to 2x Canonist, but they should have to make a real decision when it comes to sideboarding like every other deck. I mean every non-blue deck had to bring in 4-8 anti-combo cards to really increase the odds of beating ANT and ANT could side in 1-2 cards that answered every possible answer and have room for 9 silver bullets in the sideboard with no decreased consistancy. Talk about having your fucking cake and eating it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    Meh.

I voted "don't know." The ban shouldn't do anything to the format. Storm isn't weaker, however it is much harder to play. The pilots have less control over what goes on, and will need to be able to see more lines of play to put up the same results. Reanimator is now half a turn slower and loses a lot of sideboard flexibility. It's probably tier 1.5 instead of tier 1.

The only way the ban affects the format significantly is if players act like the sky is falling and decide not to play Storm and Reanimator despite their continued strength.

In any case, I rarely played decks with Mystical Tutor, so if anything this helps me.
    Reanimator stopped being tier 1 the day people started aggressively sideboarding against it. Seriously it had like 2 strong tournaments. Storm is much weaker because they lose the sideboard flexibility and now have to focus on specific answers and sideboard more aggressively to counter hate cards. Now instead of being able to grab 1 of every hate card whenever they will need to pick the 2-3 best ones and leave fringe stuff like Perish or Sadistic Sacrament to the decks they probably belong in. Control just got a lot better, because they just lost an impossible matchup. Mono-color decks just got a lot better, because Iona just got a lot less realistic. I'm thinking the first couple tournaments will see Bant go more anti-aggro tilt and a lot more of the slower control decks like Landstill or MWC being played, oh yeah, and atleast the first month I'd expect at least double the normal amount of Goblins. Whether the control decks are actually good or not we'll see. Then since the heat is off combo I'd expect actually more people to show up with combo then before, since the past few large tournaments I've been to were filled to the brim with Bant and Merfolk decks that were ANTs only truly bad matchup. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if combo won the next big tournament. In fact for the first time in a long time I can say I'd give control, combo, and aggro almost even odds on winning any given tournament.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

I think the format is more fun without Mystical Tutor.

Fun is different from person to person. Generally, I find formats more enjoyable when the best decks significantly interact with each other.

The problem at hand is that a deck like ANT does not interact with a deck like Zoo. It does not interact with Lands. None of those matches are fun for either player. This isn't to say that ANT doesn't interact with its opponent at all. In fact it interacts very much with the stack, the hand, and the mana base. But most decks don't interact on those levels.

However the DCI has decided that interacting with the board is going to be the future of Legacy, and any deck that doesn't do this isn't going to be one of those "best decks" that someone would pick to win a tournament. Sure you can still play those Reanimator and Tendrils strategies if you would like to - just don't expect that they should be good enough to warrant lots of people playing them.

As a result of banning M.Tutor, people playing the best decks will change what decks they play. They will switch from an old best deck to a new best deck. And at the end of the day, I feel there will ultimately be more interaction and that is more fun for me.
    Suddenly, Fluffy realized she wasn't quite like the other bunnies anymore.

-Team R&D-
    -noitcelfeR maeT-

No matter what peoples' opinions, those who liked Mystical Tutor are certainly more verbal about it than those who don't. Judging just by the white noise on the Source, you'd think MT's banning was the most grievous injury dealt to players since Chronicles. I must say, I'm not surprised there are a lot of people who dislike MT, but I am surprised it's not a bigger majority. I suspect the percentage of people who don't regularly visit forums is massively in favor of MT's ban as well, but obviously can't prove it.

Personally, I'm in favor of the ban. I played both Reanimator and ANT a fair bit, but think they unnecessarily forced out a lot of tier 2 midrange and control decks. Not crap like Landstill, but decks that are actually pretty good in combo-light metas like Lands, BGW Rock, Survival, Enchantress, etc. I like those kinds of decks because they diversify the format enough to prevent tier 1 decks from becoming too powerful without dominating the meta themselves. Powerful, consistent combo forces those kinds of decks out, which in turn forces players to play blue, anti-blue, or combo themselves.

That kind of rocks-paper-scissor crap drives me nuts; hard counters remove strategy and skill elements and replace them with too much luck and chance (i.e. the luck not to be paired with a 20% matchup, or the incredible luck it would take to win a 20% matchup). I'm much more in favor of games being decided by in-game decision making rather than matchup strength and techy hate cards. Damaging powerful combo goes a long way toward accomplishing that because it allows non-blue (non-Zoo/ Goblins) decks back into the meta, thereby limiting the power of blue. Whether it wins tournaments consistently or not, U/x combo warped the meta incredibly and it's still not dead, it's just less powerful than it was.
    Great success!

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by IsThisACatInAHat? View Post
    No matter what peoples' opinions, those who liked Mystical Tutor are certainly more verbal about it than those who don't. Judging just by the white noise on the Source, you'd think MT's banning was the most grievous injury dealt to players since Chronicles. I must say, I'm not surprised there are a lot of people who dislike MT, but I am surprised it's not a bigger majority. I suspect the percentage of people who don't regularly visit forums is massively in favor of MT's ban as well, but obviously can't prove it.

Personally, I'm in favor of the ban. I played both Reanimator and ANT a fair bit, but think they unnecessarily forced out a lot of tier 2 midrange and control decks. Not crap like Landstill, but decks that are actually pretty good in combo-light metas like Lands, BGW Rock, Survival, Enchantress, etc. I like those kinds of decks because they diversify the format enough to prevent tier 1 decks from becoming too powerful without dominating the meta themselves. Powerful, consistent combo forces those kinds of decks out, which in turn forces players to play blue, anti-blue, or combo themselves.

That kind of rocks-paper-scissor crap drives me nuts; hard counters remove strategy and skill elements and replace them with too much luck and chance (i.e. the luck not to be paired with a 20% matchup, or the incredible luck it would take to win a 20% matchup). I'm much more in favor of games being decided by in-game decision making rather than matchup strength and techy hate cards. Damaging powerful combo goes a long way toward accomplishing that because it allows non-blue (non-Zoo/ Goblins) decks back into the meta, thereby limiting the power of blue. Whether it wins tournaments consistently or not, U/x combo warped the meta incredibly and it's still not dead, it's just less powerful than it was.
    I think a lot of the people who are glad MT is gone think saying they agree with MT being banned will give them the dreaded scrub label since it's not easy to agree with a banning when a lot of high profile players come out against it. It's not the easiest banning to explain either since it was far from dominant in the East Coast meta that probably houses 50% or more of the regular posters here.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

I'm not sure I understand this obsession with choosing something difficult, mastering it to some degree greater than the average person, then using that skill as a metric to look down on other people. It may sound ridiculous insecurity when reduced to that, but that's exactly what every Standard pro and most of the outspoken combo players sound like. In truth, most people could memorize the decision trees and calculations necessary to successfully play combo. But, most people choose not to because that's not why they play Magic. If that makes them scrubs, so what? It's really difficult to justify that anyone deserves a 90% matchup (let alone multiples) against other tier decks just because they prefer not to play Magic when they go to Magic tournaments.
    Great success!

Has anyone seen my pants?
    Aug 2009
    Towanda, PA

Quote Originally Posted by IsThisACatInAHat? View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this obsession with choosing something difficult, mastering it to some degree greater than the average person, then using that skill as a metric to look down on other people. It may sound ridiculous insecurity when reduced to that, but that's exactly what every Standard pro and most of the outspoken combo players sound like. In truth, most people could memorize the decision trees and calculations necessary to successfully play combo. But, most people choose not to because that's not why they play Magic. If that makes them scrubs, so what? It's really difficult to justify that anyone deserves a 90% matchup (let alone multiples) against other tier decks just because they prefer not to play Magic when they go to Magic tournaments.
    Quoted for Seuss. I mean Truth. I agree with thing one and thing two that was said.
    Skizzik No Kicker. Like a true retard.

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenC View Post
    Honestly, I wonder if I just decided to play the format with the most whiney players or if every format is like this.

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

After considering my actual response for a while. I will give a strong no it is not more fun now. We may obviously see some new awesome metagame appear after the banning of MT but it might have appeared anyway. If the last few SCG opens' data meant anything combo was already in check. Enough players figured out ways to beat down reanimator hardcore. I honestly wouldn't play the deck for a few months even if MT wasn't banned at all.

I understand that Magic is first and foremost a game and it''s supposed to be fun. But I really don't how much more fun a kid who brings a bad deck to a tournament that loses on turn 2 to AdNT or zoo on turn 5 is going to have. I mean if interaction and the illusion of getting to do something worthwhile is worth something then great. However, by the 3rd. tournament of getting thrashed by zoo and merfolk do you think he's coming back?

Also, with the unbanning of Grim Monolith a lot of new great work has been done on decks with CotV and 3sphere that are actually OK. With combo as a solid pillar fo the metagame they actually had a place in it. I'm really not sure how these decks will ever beat Goblins, Zoo, and Merfolk so I think they may continue to stay on the sidelines.

I realize not everyone can agree what is healthy/unhealthy for the format but IMO the careful unbanning of cards opens up more design space and archetypes than banning things and just knocking progress back some years or months. NOTE: None of this applies to Flash, it was a mistake not to ban it before the GP and it was an abomination that needed to be put down.

Solidarity forever!

Nov 2008

I voted "less fun" but thats all based on the fact that I don't like it when DCI bans card for what they see as "unfun".

Truth to be told, Legacy was open and diverse, it doesnt need to be more open. We don't need more options when we pick a deck.

What i would consider the basis for a fun format would be if DCI sticked to a principle of banning cards based on tournament data, and had full transparancy in how and why they make the decision. The explanation when they ban mystical, first and foremost the thoughts about a "gentlemen's agreement" get me to think about the ill informed explanation when they restricted Flash in vintage "omfg! they can win on turn zero!!!!111!!!1one!1one!!"

Not knowing if the cards I play today will banned soon, not being able to figure out on my own what cards are banworthy according to the DCI is unfun for me.
    Lets play a game of stack war.

My magic and mtgo blogg.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

More or less fun is entirely contextual. Players who didn't have either deck in their local metagame are obviously going to be ambivalent, while the players who played these decks are obviously pissed, while players who disliked these 'unfair' decks are obviously happy. In context of the metagame as a whole, I think its good that we don't have easy decks to pilot that win quickly, regardless of my bias against ANT.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Thread Information