Thread: Doomsday Piles?

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Doomsday Piles?

Are there any Doomsday piles that win the game outright in EDH? Since LED is banned, it makes it a lot harder. Most decklists from legacy and vintage use LED since it's the best choice, but are there any other cards that would also work?

Re: Doomsday Piles?

If you're playing 1v1 you can do shelldock isle/emrakul. Even in multiplayer this can still work if no one can deal with it...and your 5th card keeps you alive.

Does: Shelldock Isle, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Mox Diamond, any land, and Elfhame Sanctuary work?

From the recent GP:

Brainstorm
    Cloud of Faeries
    Shelldock Isle
    Emrakul
    Solitary Confinement/Shared Fate to stop you from decking.

Words of waste/words of wisdom work if you don't have 5 land or aren't playing white.

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

I have always used the following to "Good" effect.
    doomsday, set this pile, then cantrip if you can.
    You should be able to figure out the mana requirements, both on total mana and lands in play, ect.
    The result is infinite storm and many opponents complaining that this format is supposed to be fun.

Predict
    I prefer Tendrils here, but grapeshot also works well
    Rain of filth
    conjurers bauble
    second sunrise

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Quote Originally Posted by ramanujan View Post
    I have always used the following to "Good" effect.
    doomsday, set this pile, then cantrip if you can.
    You should be able to figure out the mana requirements, both on total mana and lands in play, ect.
    The result is infinite storm and many opponents complaining that this format is supposed to be fun.

Predict
    I prefer Tendrils here, but grapeshot also works well
    Rain of filth
    conjurers bauble
    second sunrise
    Thanks to everyone who posted. This is the ideal combo that I was looking for though. Using a compact combo that wins outright seems better than getting a sneaky Emrakul, but I do like that particular Emrakul combo, since I haven't seen it before. If my calculations are correct, I think you'll need five mana minimum to go off. This assumes that you do it on the turn after the doomsday. Definitely withing acceptable limits for EDH.

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007
    Michigan, specificly Lansing

Where is the DDT Bible located?

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

Maybe I'm just being dense but would somebody mind explaining that Second Sunrise pile to me? If I recall correctly lands that come into play after Rain of Filth resolves cannot be sacrifice for mana.

Magiccards.info to the rescue:

Quote Originally Posted by magiccards.info
    10/4/2004: {Rain of Filth} Only grants the ability to lands you control when this ability resolves.
    awesome

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

Sorry,

Replace that with Squandered Resources.

Peace

Jan 2009
    Tempe, AZ

In Sliver Queen, I was a big fan of this one. If you already have one of them, it's cheaper to play the Alarm before the Necrotic, but then you need a random card at the bottom.

Dormant Sliver
    Heart Sliver
    Gemhide Sliver
    Necrotic Sliver
    Intruder Alarm

With a reanimation or mill spell in hand (let's say Reanimate and Tome Scour), this one's kind of cool. Just take the one you have out of the pile. (And if you have a mill spell and three dudes, Dread Return means you don't have to draw into the pile.)

Tome Scour
    Reanimate
    Sharuum the Hegemon
    Sculpting Steel
    Bridge From Below
    Altar of Dementia

I suspect you could do the same thing with a Project X style kill, but I don't know exactly how.

You could also try:

Future Sight
    Helm of Awakening/Etherium Sculptor
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Brainfreeze/Tendrils
    Any Card You Want

That one's probably the best of the three, since all those cards are playable anyways, and it doesn't need too many colors or any cards in hand. On the other hand, the second one only costs two plus drawing into the pile, and you can play it in an Esper deck. Come to think of it, if Sharuum was your general you could put blink in the pile instead of Sharuum. Or go off after they hinder Sharuum. That sounds kind of fun.
    Last edited by Mostly_Harmless; 08-10-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: First pile didn't work.

Sounds strongly like somebody doesn't "get" EDH.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Jan 2009
    Tempe, AZ

I don't think that's necessarily true. (I'm not sure if you were responding to me in particular, but I might as well reply.) I love more traditionally EDHy decks. My first and favorite EDH deck was a Ghost Council midrange attrition build that was very much in the spirit of the format. Our format has since grown a lot more competitive (as I think a lot of them do), so I've turned to slightly more powerful tools. At the time I built said Sliver Queen deck, it was one of the slowest decks (either to kill or lock) in the format. Things have gotten better since then, but I think a ten mana (at best) doomsday combo is pretty reasonable. And besides, I think it's ridiculously cool to crack into an infinite combo with Tome Scour of all cards or end the game with no libraries in the game (at least once).

Also, in my defense, he asked for Doomsday piles.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Well, if you want a really ridiculous pile then here you go.

Inheritance
    Enduring Renewal
    Phyrexian Altar
    Ornithopter
    Soldevi Digger
    Grinning Totem

You'll need one in hand of course and this is a slow roller, but damned funny. Play Inheritance first and people will be like WTF? Then play the Altar, more WTF looks. Play Enduring Renewal, Ornithopter, go infinite mana, use Inheritance to draw up the rest of the cards. Play Digger and then recycle Grinning Totem over and over, drawing it with the Inheritance and putting it back with the Digger to be drawn. Use your infinite any color of mana to play everything you stole from everyone. Scream "I am the greatest!" Say go.

lol You asked.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Anyone know of any edh doomsday piles that could go in a monoblack deck?

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    Are there any Doomsday piles that win the game outright in EDH? Since LED is banned, it makes it a lot harder. Most decklists from legacy and vintage use LED since it's the best choice, but are there any other cards that would also work?
    Pretty sure LED was unbanned semi-recently...not sure what the RC was thinking, but there it is.

^The OP was made in 2010

As for a monoblack doomsday pile I'm not sure if there's one that's good enough.
    I wouldn't want to put a bunch of clunky cards in my deck just so I can win with epic doomsday (eg Dachmai's idea) but your opinion may differ I guess

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

I'm not necessarily looking for something as flashy as dahcmai suggested. I'm not worried about running "bad" cards, since you get so many tutors in black, you're much more likely to find the doomsday. The best I'm able to come up with so far is something like this:

infernal contract
    leyline of the void
    helm of obedience
    something
    something

The other slots can be tailored to fit the situation. Notable candidates include dark ritual/cabal ritual for mana, voltaic key to untap the helm, and/or necropotence to prevent you from decking yourself.

I wish that there was a combo using tendrils, sensei's top, lion's eye diamond, and other goodies to get an infinite storm loop, but I don't think that it exists without using blue.

Thread Information