Thread: UGw Aggro Control

Combo player
    Mar 2010
    Orangeville, Ontario, Canada

UGw Aggro Control

So I was looking at the easiest wins in legacy and thought I would put them together in one deck with the best counter magic, this is what I got.

Deck: Ugw aggro control

4x Natural Order
    4x Tarmogoyf
    4x Survival of the Fittest
    1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1x Loyal Retainers
    1x Wonder
    1x Progenitus
    1x Squee, Goblin Nabob
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Force of Will
    4x Daze
    4x Spell Snare
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Misty Rainforest
    4x Tropical Island
    4x Forest
    4x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath
    2x Savannah
    1x Dryad Arbor

Display Deck Statistics

There are a couple things I wish I could have done, such as fit a vengevine win in in place of the iona win, and I would have liked to up the creature count with stone forged mystics+jittes.

This can put a progenitus down on turn 4 quite regularly, and will usually do it's survival shenanigans around the same time should it chose to go that route.
    The back up plan is tarmogoyf, and the swords help. goyf also pitches to survival and sacs to natural order.
    The counterbalance match is decent with the natural orders in the main deck. And the deck laughs at grave yard hate which is something most survival lists have problems with.

The deck is pretty consistent, although slightly lacking in the tempo department.

Some things I would like to sort out are;
    What survival target to run.(emrakul/Iona/blazing archon)
    Should swords be main deck.
    Make the tempo strategy stronger.
    Up the creature count if possible.
    And any ideas you might have.
    Last edited by median; 09-06-2010 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Clarity, and grammar

Jul 2009
    Berlin / Germany

Re: UGw Aggro Control

hm

you are playing only 9 creatures with survival? This is too low to always have a creature to pitch. And what creatures are you sac for NO if you don'T have any?

This seems too much different strategies and none is good, cause alle need creatures and you only play 9.

Combo player
    Mar 2010

The creature count is a little low for survival, but the deck manages (I also mentioned I want to increase the number of creatures). As for natural order, with dryad arbor and fetch lands there's more than enough.

You know what might work better than natural order is show and tell. It would be pretty sweet with survival. I think I would also splash black and maybe play some creature removal and a couple re animates.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    baghdadbob, you're Team Scrubbad's spirit animal.

Yeah, splashing black seems like more fun; but S&T seems a little...hazy. You don't need to worry about Entomb, due to Survival. From your list...

Deck: UGwb aggro control

4x Tarmogoyf
    4x Survival of the Fittest
    1x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1x Loyal Retainers
    1x Wonder
    1x Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1x Inkwell Leviathan
    1x Iona Shield of Emeria
    4x Reanimate
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Force of Will
    3x Daze
    3x Spell Snare
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Misty Rainforest
    4x Tropical Island
    4x Forest
    2x Underground Sea
    4x Windswept Heath
    1x Polluted Delta
    2x Savannah
    2x Bayou

Added Emrakul as a 'shuffle in' option, as well as an alternate Retainers target other than Iona - if they have two colors of outs.

Wonder seemed weak; as the deck seems to go for the Retainers wincon almost all of the time.

Would almost want to play Spell Pierce over Spell Snare main; but I suppose Spell Snare helps to close out the Zoo MU; so I left it in; your choice.

Wasteland should be cut with the 4c manabase; also seems just...bad in a Survival deck; in my opinion; did so.

The deck could goldfish to turn three; by hitting turn two Survival, then pitching a Reanimation target into Reanimate. Loyal Retainers gives you a fetchable option with which to recur fatties.

Combo player
    Mar 2010

@ xTrainx
    Your right about wasteland, and I do like emrakul, but I'm not sold on the reanimation spells. Do you see this as more of a UG reanimator style deck?

Also @ bahgdadbob I don't think show and tell would be all that great, survival gives us a way to play Iona for three mana, and I don't see it being useful for things that are randomly in my hand.

What do people think about noble hierarch as a way of speeding things up?
    Last edited by median; 09-07-2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

How would they randomly be in your hand? You are putting them there with survival.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    baghdadbob, you're Team Scrubbad's spirit animal.

Thread Information