Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] bru Metalcraft Affinity

Hostile to humans

Mar 2008
    Moscow, Russia

[Deck] bru Metalcraft Affinity

The Scars of Mirrodin is an artifact-based set and many thought that it'll give some cards to two existing art-based archtypes: Affinity and Stax.
    One route of discussion in Vial Affinity thread led to a decklist that concentrates on dealing fast damage and fininsh the opponent with burn spells. It packs a full 4-ofs of two cards from Scars: Mox Opal that helps to be explosive and Galvanic Blast wich is better than Lightning Bolt.
    Here's my decklist after initial testing:

METAL SLIGH
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Vault of Whispers
    4 Great Furnace
    1 Darksteel Citadel
    3 Glimmervoid
    4 Mox Opal
    2 Springleaf Drum

4 Ornithopter
    3 Memnite
    3 Arcbound Worker
    4 Disciple of the Vault
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Dark Confidant

4 Galvanic Blast
    4 Shrapnel Blast
    4 Thoughtcast
    4 Cranial Plating

Main advantage of the deck is explosiveness. Turn 1 art. land + Mox Opal + -dude into Dark Confidant/Cranial Plating is too bonkers to skip, so 4 Mox Opal are necessary. As initial testing shows, you'll have no problem to get rid of 2nd Mox via Arcbound Ravager or Shrapnel Blast.
    The burn package is lighter than you'll see in most -based aggro, but each spell is better and can remove bigger creatures if needed (Blast often takes out Goyf).
    The deck have unusual amount of card advantage for an aggro deck. 4 Dark Confidant and 4 Thoughtcast are cheap and powerfull CA, so you will not run out of cards.
    The most doubtful slots in the deck are Springleaf Drum and Arcbound Worker. Initially I started with 4 Drums, but they usually were just food for Ravager/Blast. The only thing that stops me form completely removing Drums is possible colorscrew. In 2-color version (no Thoughtcast) it was no problem, but 8 CA cards are too powerfull to pass by.
    The cards I'd like to fit in are lords: Master of Etherium and Steel Overseer, but I don't know what to cut (possibly 4th Blast, but I need at least 2 more slots).

Any suggestions are welcome!
    Last edited by eq.firemind; 09-30-2010 at 08:44 AM.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

Mar 2009
    Coon Rapids, MN

Re: [Deck] bru Metalcraft Affinity

Do you find yourself missing the 'bigger' bodies of affinity - like Master of Etherium, Myr Enforcer and the like?

Seems like this deck would have a tougher time in a counter-top matchup than a traditional list with more varied CMCs - but that seems necessary to run bob without too much pain.

I don't know if Steel Overseer is worth a slot in this deck honestly. He's a great pumper - but he's not aggressive. I'd much rather have MoE in there if you had to choose. He's a pump and a cranial plating all in one. Plus he gives you another reason to run U outside of thoughtcast.

Personally - I wouldn't want to run land-type duals in here - if for no other reason than landwalk abilities, most specifically islandwalk vs merfolk. Run glimmervoids in their place - because honestly, if you're without an artifact at any real point in the game, you've probably already lost. They also have the upside of producing whatever you need.

I'd definitely try to get at least 2 MoEs in there.

Also, have you looked at glaze fiend at all? Evasive beater for 2 who also happens to be an artifact.

Hostile to humans

Mar 2008
    Moscow, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by stuckpixel View Post
    Do you find yourself missing the 'bigger' bodies of affinity - like Master of Etherium, Myr Enforcer and the like?
    Yes, period. Fortunately, I see Cranial Plating often enough to turn each puny Memnite into a threat.
    I'd definitely try to get at least 2 MoEs in there.
    And I guess Master of Etherium is the best fit: big, lord effect and not a huge pain from Bob. Just don't know what to cun for it right now...

Personally - I wouldn't want to run land-type duals in here - if for no other reason than landwalk abilities, most specifically islandwalk vs merfolk. Run glimmervoids in their place - because honestly, if you're without an artifact at any real point in the game, you've probably already lost. They also have the upside of producing whatever you need.
    Yeah, fixed that, Usea was awful.

Seems like this deck would have a tougher time in a counter-top matchup than a traditional list with more varied CMCs - but that seems necessary to run bob without too much pain.
    Yes, the consistency of 8 cheap and powerfull draw effects for CBTop MU seems like a fair trade. Also, this variant can possibly be faster than classic Affinity, wich should help against CBTop too.

Also, have you looked at glaze fiend at all? Evasive beater for 2 who also happens to be an artifact.
    It was in initial list, but I found it to be too conditional to be worth 2 mana. Even Arcbound Worker worked better.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

May 2006
    Moscow, Russia

Reanimating Affinity is like doing mouth-to-mouth to a week old corpse. Nope, wouldn't even make a zombie. Scars don't save the day, simply because there's nothing that solves the current problems of the deck.

4 damage bolt? Nope, its only marginally better than regular bolt there.
    Mox Opal? And where are you going to dump that mana in? (Ah, dropping Confidant turn1, via 3 card combo? Srsly?)
    Memnite? Even if its 1/1 for 0, its still 1/1, which barely counts for something.

Титьки, приходи этим на турнир)

Never eat yellow snow!!!
    Mar 2010
    Gent,Belgium

I think this has potential, I'm trying out something similar but with myr retriever and perilous myr instead of confidant and thoughtcast, thus going for a more balls to the wall burn approach.
    Achtung: Panzer!

4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Vault of Whispers
    4 Great Furnace
    4 Darksteel Citadel
    4 Mox Opal
    3 Springleaf Drum

4 Ornithopter
    4 Memnite
    2 Myr Enforcer
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Frogmite
    4 Master of Etherium

4 Galvanic Blast
    4 Shrapnel Blast
    4 Thoughtcast
    4 Cranial Plating

With this list, I win with either Steel Overseer buffing my creatures every turn or just Master of Etherium and/or Cranial Plating. Disciple is just too slow and not an artifact. I might put in an Academy Ruins or two to help if I throw down my hand and they take out my major threats.

Mar 2009
    Coon Rapids, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Tinefol View Post
    Reanimating Affinity is like doing mouth-to-mouth to a week old corpse. Nope, wouldn't even make a zombie. Scars don't save the day, simply because there's nothing that solves the current problems of the deck.

4 damage bolt? Nope, its only marginally better than regular bolt there.
    Mox Opal? And where are you going to dump that mana in? (Ah, dropping Confidant turn1, via 3 card combo? Srsly?)
    Memnite? Even if its 1/1 for 0, its still 1/1, which barely counts for something.

Титьки, приходи этим на турнир)
    Have to disagree with you on this. 4 Damage for R is _significantly_ better than 3 damage for R. It's rare that you'd be able to take out a goyf with an lbolt, but with galvanic, it'd be pretty doable. Beyond that - you have 36 points of damage between 8 burn spells, giving this deck quite a bit more reach than previous iterations of affinity have had.

It seems pretty clear you haven't really played with Affinity. I don't believe that anyone is expecting Affinity to rise to DoB status - but I believe it certainly could reach Tier 1.5 with the new additions. The whole idea is to explode out of the gate - and the new cards allow this to happen faster - and extend your reach.

In the burn affinity lists have Riddlesmith been tested? Given the rather huge reach between, Disciple, Shrapnel and Galvanic Blast it seems like the ability to quickly sculpt a hand with said cards could be quite deadly (probably doing so faster than Confidant for instance).

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpoe View Post
    With this list, I win with either Steel Overseer buffing my creatures every turn or just Master of Etherium and/or Cranial Plating. Disciple is just too slow and not an artifact. I might put in an Academy Ruins or two to help if I throw down my hand and they take out my major threats.
    I'd think that Steel Overseer is win more. If you have a bunch of bodies on the table he's nice but you shouldn't need him, and if you don't he's really not exiting. Is he really better than Arcbound Ravager?

You may or may not have seen the thread I posted called Quicksilver. Let me just say that considering the fact that we were both trying to adapt affinity and make it workable again, you did a much better job than I. Grats!

There are only a couple of things I would change. First is disciple of the vault. While he is synergistic with shrapnel blast and VERY synergistic with ravager, he's kind of "win more" when you think about it. The extra damage never makes that big of a difference unless you just throw your entire board at your opponent, and that's and all in approach that should never be done IMO. Glaze fiend is better because (a) he's an artifact, (b) he flies, and (c) he puts a lot more damage on the table than disciple does. And this is sligh. You want a lot of damage on the table.

Second is the lack of master of etherium. You are running tons of artifacts and you are running blue, therefore you should be running master. I would even go so far as to say you should run him over arcbound ravager.

EDIT: Nevermind, ravager and disciple is better than I thought (I played a quick game with both versions). Maybe you don't need master, but I don't thing thoughtcast is worth blue as a third color. I'm going to replace thoughtcast with glaze fiend and see how that works.
    Last edited by HAL; 09-30-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: I was wrong...

Steel Overseer is not win-more. Just by having Steel Overseer, I've won plenty of games just from him. Without Master of Etherium or Cranial Plating, this is where Steel Overseer becomes amazing. The problem with Ravager is the bad synergy with Master/Cranial Plating and if he gets STP'd, you're screwed, but with Overseer, if he gets removed, you can move on as usual. Memnite, Ornithopter, Frogmite and Myr Enforcer are not reliable threats without Steel Overseer/Master of Etherium/Cranial Plating. Steel Overseer gives Affinity a good amount of inevitability. While Ravager turns each artifact into a +1/+1 counter, Overseer feels strictly better. With Ravager, if you really want to go all-in, you'll sac a few lands and about as many creatures at best, then you rely on topdecks for +1/+1 counters, but with Overseer, you can buff your team every turn. In games where people side in all their artifact hate and removal, you need all the threats you can get. 1/1's and 2/2's won't cut it when your opponents use STP/Grip/Needle/Force/etc. on the main win cons (Master & Cranial Plating). I've been using 4x Steel Overseer and 4x Mox Opal, along with 4x Galvanic Blast and 3x Shrapnel blast, and I think that's the best Affinity can do right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpoe View Post
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Vault of Whispers
    4 Great Furnace
    4 Darksteel Citadel
    4 Mox Opal
    3 Springleaf Drum

4 Ornithopter
    4 Memnite
    2 Myr Enforcer
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Frogmite
    4 Master of Etherium

4 Galvanic Blast
    4 Shrapnel Blast
    4 Thoughtcast
    4 Cranial Plating

Very impressive adaptaion.. very verstile withe the overseer idea

Etched Champion should seriously be considered. He is easy to cast and almost always has metalcraft, and he carries plating like a pro.

Anyway, this idea intrigues me. I'm taking the following list to a small (12-18 people) tournament this saturday.

4 Vault of Whispers
    4 Great Furnace
    3 Darksteel Citadel
    3 badlands
    2 Blinkmoth Nexus
    4 Mox Opal

4 Ornithopter
    3 Memnite
    3 Arcbound Worker
    4 Disciple of the Vault
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Etched Champion
    3 Night's Whisper

4 Galvanic Blast
    4 Shrapnel Blast
    4 Cranial Plating

//SB
    4 Nihil Spellbomb
    4 pithing needle
    3 shattering spree
    4 Chalice of the Void

I chose just RB because it lets me cut springleaf drum, not a very good mana fixer. The rest should be fairly obvious.
    By the way, Nihil Spellbomb is better than relic of progenitus. If you are truly mana tight you can activate it for free (an effective tormod's crypt for 1 mana), but often times you can also get the draw. More versatile.

I've been play testing the TS decklist, and so far I've had some good progress especially versus Goblins.

I'm not that sold on Steel Overseer, as I think that the Disciple of the Vault with Ravager makes every card in this deck to a threat.

The Dark Confidant is probably the card that makes this deck go around. Because of the CA.

Oct 2010
    Castell'arquato, Italy

I'm testing this list yet, U/R based with black third color to draw more cards.

4x Great fournace
    4x Seat of the synod
    4x Vault of whispers
    4x Darksteel citadel
    4x Mox opal
    3x Springleaf drum
    3x Memnite
    4x Ornithopter
    4x Frogmite
    4x Myr oppressor
    4x Arcbound Ravager
    4x Master of etherium
    4x Cranial plating
    4x Thoughtcast
    2x Night's whispers
    4x Galvanic blast

Sideboard
    4x pithing needle
    4x cabal therapy
    2x relic of progenitus
    2x Tormod's crypt
    3x spell pierce

I think it's not possible playing this deck in the actual metagame without oppressor and frogmite, they are out of our pricipal hate effect like CB, pernicious, E.E.; I'm triyng to play much bombs as possible because we have to put pressure on the opponent, the real problem of the deck is that we'll have limited resources around the mid-game phases so we have to upgrade the cards advantage spells. Logically in this version i prefer Night's whispers to confidant.
    Sideboard is all compsed by spell with CC 1 or less according to the speed capacity of the deck, i'm triyng spell pierce against bad MU like Landeed or Supremeblue, very usefull for a top8 deck in the last sunday tournament (117 players) (but pierce was maindeck lulz).
    Etched champion seems really cool with ravager and plating, i will test it in another version full-combo with also disciple.

(sorry for the bad english)^^

Hostile to humans

Mar 2008
    Moscow, Russia

Just a thought: Aether Vial is better in a deck without Frogmite and Myr Enforcers (i.e. smoother creature curve) and it helps alot against Counterbalance.
    Since I'm not impressed with Springleaf Drum, Vial is good candidate to get back into deck.

Oct 2010
    Castell'arquato, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by eq.firemind View Post
    Just a thought: Aether Vial is better in a deck without Frogmite and Myr Enforcers (i.e. smoother creature curve) and it helps alot against Counterbalance.
    Since I'm not impressed with Springleaf Drum, Vial is good candidate to get back into deck.
    Obviously also a vial deck will be good, but is better with an aggro/combo version with disciples, etched and maybe the return of atog. My purpose is to create an explosive deck and drums is better for this, it's all based on the number of creature we could play in 3 turns before a firespout/pernicious/moat, CB is a secondary priority i suppose compared to the mass removals.
    The changes after Scars were 3 explosives cards (Memnite,Mox,Galvanic) so i think we have to focus on the speed/board factor. Memnite and Mox IMO are not a great add to the old vial version, just imagine " you play vial and mox the first turn, so the second turn you could have 3 mana, seriously you are not going to play a bomb as ravager/master/etched/, waiting for vial?" Or First turn "land mox memnite you want to play vial or ravager/cranial/thoughtcast?
    Anyway as i've declared i'm going to test different version of affinity.

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

Confidant + affinity cards are a huge nonbo.

"YES, just drew my 4/4 vanilla with him! And took 7 to the face!"

Oct 2010
    Castell'arquato, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by perm View Post
    Confidant + affinity cards are a huge nonbo.

"YES, just drew my 4/4 vanilla with him! And took 7 to the face!"
    No one said that in the topic if you read well ^^, obviously if we want to play frog or myr we have to play night's whisper instead of confidant.

Thread Information