Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your collection worth?

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

What is your collection worth?

I am trying to find a site that you can use a checklist or something to see how much a collection is worth. Any ideas on that? I'm sure one probably exists.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Re: What is your collection worth?

I don't know of an actual site that you could put in your entire list and it'd spit out a number, but I'm sure if you posted it on MOTL people could give you a rough estimate.

That probably doesn't help at all, so sorry :(. You could post it here and we could appraise for you

-Matt

I only play blue for Brainstorm and combo.
    Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

The website www.cardkingdom.com has buying lists and you can contact them and they will give u a rough idea as to how much they will buy ur collection for.
    "I just shot Marvin in the face!"
    "Why the fuck'd you do that??"

apathyhouse.com 40 cards at a time?
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

If you want, you could make a magic.TCGplayer.com account and input every card you own into a "deck" and see what number it spits out for the average.
    I'm a musician and would love your support.
    Please visit www.samandluke.com and check out the debut album, Standing in a Room!

--- Decks that Storm ---
    --- Also Goblins for when I don't feel like thinking ARRGH GOBLINS ---

Aug 2006
    Philly

One suggestion that I have for figuring out a rough value for your collection which I did was to use a sales thread on MOTL. I used Slinga's as my collection is mostly Eternal stuff which he mainly sells, also it gave me a realistic value rather than the buylist of a site which cuts themselves a 20% profit at least.

Apr 2007
    Norway

You can download Magic Workstation and create an inventory file with the cards you want to include. Then go to file -> Import -> Import Prices and download pricing from magictraders or another site of your choice. The next step is to go to Tools -> Price Bases Management and set the recently imported price base active. Finally open your inventory file, go to statistics and the total value of the inventory will be displayed.

edit:
    - Just remember that commons are often overpriced on magictraders.
    - You can download more prices from "http://magictraders.com/pricelists/" and create multiple price-bases, these will show up separately in the statistics window.
    - Non-standard cards might not be available, neither is support for multiple languages. You'll need to create separate inventory-files for those if you want to include them.
    "Don't let your mind wander - it might not come back." -Braids, dementia summoner

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Well, problem is it's a huge collection and it's bordering on being a collection of everything. No idea how many it is, but I filled three of those 4 row boxes with rares alone and I keep no more than 4 of anything unless it's a money rare. Commons and uncommons fill a few more boxes, about 2 colors per box. I toss crap cards so it's all decent stuff.

So I need something I can just check off a list or something. Typing it all out would be a heck of an undertaking.

I might try that on workstation though, that might work.

You're not going to be able to estimate anything without recording what's actually in your collection.

You can do data entry in MWS really fast with the keyboard. It's what I use to input decklists.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Oct 2005
    Germany - NRW

http://cardcostcalculator.wente.dk/ This is a Wantlist-Page for magickartenmarkt.de.
    So you will get the best price on mkm for each card you insert (+shipping cost extra) ;)
    Team aYb
    Selling my Japanese Legacy Collection. PM me what you need ;)
    My mcm-account. Selling overseas

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Windux View Post
    http://cardcostcalculator.wente.dk/ This is a Wantlist-Page for magickartenmarkt.de.
    So you will get the best price on mkm for each card you insert (+shipping cost extra) ;)
    thats a german site... the values of cards in Germany are bound to be different from the values of cards in other parts of the world. Just thought I would point that out.
    "He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever... He burns at the center of time and he can see the turn of the universe... and... he's wonderful."

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I guess I could always just have the largest Ebay auction ever. lol Though I think I'd get raped by the IRS for it later. I think I'll just end up trading off for things that sell online well and then auctioning off stuff as I go to get an idea of what things will go for.

Magic workstation makes inputting fairly easy, so does apprentice.

What I would do (and have done) is use either to type in the name, only a few keystrokes are necessary per card, and then just hit enter for each quantity of that card. so brainstorm would be

brai enter, enter, enter

then export from one of those programs into an excel spreadsheet or comma separated file CSV

then create a vlookup table in excel that references MOTL price guide.

done.

Deckbox.org will do that for you if you find a way to get your collection typed out.

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

Someone needs to design an inventory program that just lists cards within a set so you can tab through a value field and enter a quantity. Then when you've tabbed all the way through, you click save and it generates that particular table with tags for the set or edition. You could even go one step further and have entry fields for condition. None of this stuff would be that hard to develop, it would just take a little effort. The data already exists, it's just that the interface is not there. If this were set up and it wasn't all buggy or slow, you could go from Alpha all the way to Scars in an afternoon. Of course you would have to have your collection well organized and a buddy would have to be feeding you info.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Can't believe no one has said it yet:

bout tree fiddy.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Quote Originally Posted by android View Post
    Someone needs to design an inventory program that just lists cards within a set so you can tab through a value field and enter a quantity. Then when you've tabbed all the way through, you click save and it generates that particular table with tags for the set or edition. You could even go one step further and have entry fields for condition. None of this stuff would be that hard to develop, it would just take a little effort. The data already exists, it's just that the interface is not there. If this were set up and it wasn't all buggy or slow, you could go from Alpha all the way to Scars in an afternoon. Of course you would have to have your collection well organized and a buddy would have to be feeding you info.

I decided just to design that into my website. Just one more thing to enter in I guess. At least someone else will find it useful afterwards.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

I use Magic Album for my trade stock, and a website my brother wrote for me for the collection. Both work fine.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    I decided just to design that into my website. Just one more thing to enter in I guess. At least someone else will find it useful afterwards.
    Well you didn't say you had that kind of ability. If you know how to program and are so inclined I would say.

1: Enter collection in MWS as deck, copy to clipboard, paste into text file.
    2: Write code to format that text file into a collection of objects containing- maybe an int for the number of cards, and a couple strings for the card name and set. Then maybe save that data to a file.
    3: Find a website with prices you agree with and write a code to either scrape the entire site and create a database of prices to check your cards with, or check prices one by one of your cards and output the results to a file.

I think MWS is the easiest option I'm aware of for entering cards since it has a basic auto-complete built in and you can shift + click add to add a playset. The only hard part of building the program I just mentioned would be maybe interacting with the website if you've never done something like that before. All the rest of the code is beyond easy to implement.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Who made MWS anyway? I might ask them if I can borrow the interface and just make something people who use that program could automatically use intuitively for stuff like this. I have never used it, but now that I think about it, it's a damned good idea if the owner goes for it.

Thread Information