Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progenitus.

Progenitus.

I started this deck with the idea of getting progenitus in place as fast and consistently as possible. It started off as sort of a joke and then I was playing with it and it is sort of insanely consistent. See what you guys think. I don't know how to make the links on the cards so just copy it into your favorite deckbuilder (mine is tcgplayer) and try it out.

MAIN ADVANTAGES TO THIS DECK:

****After 50 trials, the average turn to cast one of the four summoning spells is turn 2.28. In 50 trials, it only went past turn 3 ONCE****

-There are 12 game winning spells, all of which are 4 mana,

-Each of the 12 spells are interchangeable, and all of the 16 1-drops are interchangeable. Thus, you need a one drop or two and one of the 12 summoning spells in hand to cast a game winning spell on turn two or three, this yields an insane level of consistency

-Since the pieces to this deck are so interchangeable, the synergy is extremely high, giving the deck a resilience that is rarely seen.

-At 4 mana, the summoning spells get around counterbalance, and because there are so many of them, decks with straight counters will not be able to handle them all.

-Defense of the heart destroys this creature-heavy metagame, and combos very well with forbidden orchard.

Creatures [22]
    4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Fyndhorn Elves
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Progenitus
    1 Terastodon

Spells [12]
    4 Defense of the Heart
    4 Natural Order
    4 Pattern of Rebirth

Lands [26]
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Forbidden Orchard
    4 Forest
    4 Savannah
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath

SB:
    4 Armageddon
    4 City of Solitude
    4 Worship
    3 Wrath of God
    Last edited by k2thej; 01-24-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Re: Progenitus.

4 Forbidden Orchard could replace 4 Forests for a combo with Defense of the Heart.

Is scroll rack the only way to get Progenitus back into your library if it gets into your hand? How often does it get stuck in your hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Kunfuzed View Post
    4 Forbidden Orchard could replace 4 Forests for a combo with Defense of the Heart.

Is scroll rack the only way to get Progenitus back into your library if it gets into your hand? How often does it get stuck in your hand?
    Forbidden orchard is a great idea! I was just using it for card advantage cause top wasnt working as well without fetch lands. I am open to other options though.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Cabal Therapy + Pattern of Rebirth is a cute way to do this trick, while simultaneous increasing the disruption.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I liked the forbidden orchard idea. I also like armageddon since it can be cast turn two or, especially if you are on the draw with dudes in play

4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Fyndhorn Elves
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Progenitus

3 Armageddon
    4 Defense of the Heart
    4 Metamorphosis
    4 Natural Order
    4 Pattern of Rebirth

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Brass
    4 Forbidden Orchard
    12 Forest

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    Cabal Therapy + Pattern of Rebirth is a cute way to do this trick, while simultaneous increasing the disruption.
    on my most recent list with armageddon, what would you put cabal therapy in for?

Dis iz da WAAAGH!
    Jan 2007
    Chicagoland

It seems to me that Emrakul has been overlooked. Only Natural Order doesn't go and get him. Also, throw Empyrial Archangel in the sideboard.

@k2thej: Adding City of Brass to a G/W deck instead of Savannah seems janky. Also, Therapy is still more disruption. It will help a little against fast combo, and will pluck out pesky Force of Wills.

How about this list?
    4 Llanowar Elves
    2 Fyndhorn Elves
    3 Quirion Ranger
    4 Priest of Titania
    4 Elvish Archdruid
    3 Mirror Entity
    1 Progenitus
    1 Emrakul the Eons Torn

4 Defense of the Heart

4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Natural Order
    4 Pattern of Rebirth
    3 Armageddon

3 Savannah
    2 Bayou
    2 Windswept Heath
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Forbidden Orchard
    4 Forest

We have a little bit of disruption in the form of early Geddon, and a flashbackable Cabal Therapy. A beatdown plan through Mirror Entity if we somehow draw both the big guys. A second guy to get with Defense of the Heart, who will most fortunately shuffle back in if he gets Wrathed.

I did not include Wirewood Symbiote. I'd like to.
    DCI Lvl II Judge

I like the 2nd version of the deck with new lands. Don't stray from the main purpose of the deck with mirror entity and such.

Also, sideboard autumn's veil

Jun 2009
    Germany

I don't know how to make the links on the cards ...
    To create the links you just have to write [_cards] at the beginning of your list and [_/cards] at the end - without the under scores.

Creatures [17]
    4 Arbor Elf
    4 Fyndhorn Elves
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Progenitus

Spells [19]
    4 Defense of the Heart
    4 Metamorphosis
    4 Natural Order
    4 Pattern of Rebirth
    3 Scroll Rack

Lands [24]
    4 Ancient Tomb
    20 Forest

Since you don't need anything more than one mana out of a creature, there is no point playing creatures bigger than a one drop. Here is the new list (with Emrakul)

4 Birds of Paradise
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    3 Fyndhorn Elves
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Progenitus

3 Armageddon
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Defense of the Heart
    4 Natural Order
    4 Pattern of Rebirth

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Brass
    4 Forbidden Orchard
    8 Forest
    4 Gemstone Mine

Nov 2010
    Denmark

Perhaps Dryad Arbor could work well with Metamorphosis ? Tap dryad for mana and sac it to the Metamorphosis.

It is affected by summoning sickness though so what sort of situation could it accelerate in?

You have no way of consistently discarding away a drawn Progenitus. Plus with only Progenitus, a single Humility or Ensnaring Bridge or Hide/Seek or Rootwater Thief (some Merfolk decks play it sideboard) all kill your deck dead.

So devote 2 slots to green creatures. I would play 1 Progenitus and 1 Terastodon. Terastodon can save your butt some games (against an Ensnaring Bridge or Humility or whatever).

I can't picture Metamorphisis ever generating enough mana to hardcast Progenitus. How often is the card good. If it's not often, I would play Manamorphose over Metamorphisis. It draws you cards for free, and helps you cast Armageddon.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kant View Post
    You have no way of consistently discarding away a drawn Progenitus. Plus with only Progenitus, a single Humility or Ensnaring Bridge or Hide/Seek or Rootwater Thief (some Merfolk decks play it sideboard) all kill your deck dead.

So devote 2 slots to green creatures. I would play 1 Progenitus and 1 Terastodon. Terastodon can save your butt some games (against an Ensnaring Bridge or Humility or whatever).

I can't picture Metamorphisis ever generating enough mana to hardcast Progenitus. How often is the card good. If it's not often, I would play Manamorphose over Metamorphisis. It draws you cards for free, and helps you cast Armageddon.
    Ya Terastadon is a great idea. Metamorphosis was not to hardcast prog., it was to cast one of the four summoning spells on turn two. After testing though, it doesn't work, and this is my current list.

4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Fyndhorn Elves
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Progenitus
    1 Terastodon

4 Defense of the Heart
    4 Natural Order
    4 Pattern of Rebirth

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Forbidden Orchard
    4 Forest
    4 Savannah
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath

I LOVE your new list. You should swap out the Elvish Spirit Guides for Armageddon.

You play assloads of mana creatures already, you don't need ESG.

Armageddon is a game winning bomb though. Geddon turn 3, followed up with a natural order turn 4 (powered by mana elves), ends games.

With that many fetchlands, I would play a Dryad Arbor. You can fetch it up, Pattern of Rebirth it, then wasteland it, Terastodon it, or Geddon it to get yourself a Progenitus.

Geddon is a great way to draw out your opponent's FoW to ensure your Natural Order resolves as well.

Also, I would update the opening post of this thread with your newest list.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kant View Post
    I LOVE your new list. You should swap out the Elvish Spirit Guides for Armageddon.

You play assloads of mana creatures already, you don't need ESG.

Armageddon is a game winning bomb though. Geddon turn 3, followed up with a natural order turn 4 (powered by mana elves), ends games.

With that many fetchlands, I would play a Dryad Arbor. You can fetch it up, Pattern of Rebirth it, then wasteland it, Terastodon it, or Geddon it to get yourself a Progenitus.

Geddon is a great way to draw out your opponent's FoW to ensure your Natural Order resolves as well.

Also, I would update the opening post of this thread with your newest list.
    Updated the opening post. I love geddons but I think sb at least for now just cause the spirit guides allow a turn two prog. so much more often. If you have a 2-mana land or a spirit guide in hand you can almost always get a turn two prog. Testing the arbor now.

Yo can I get some other people helping me with testing?

So after 50 goldfishes, the consistency of this deck is kind of blowing my mind. Here are the turns on which I cast one of the three summoning spells:

1: 0
    2: 37
    3: 12
    4: 1
    Never went past turn 4 (and only went to turn 4 once, yay!)

so to sum this up, the deck cast a summoning spell on turn 2 37/50 times! Turn 3 was 12/50 times, and turn 4 was only ONCE. The average turn to cast a summoning spell then for this deck is turn 2.28. That's pretty damn good.

Granted, it's not a win on that turn, but it's pretty great to be able to have a prog. or terastodon (or both) out that early.

Jan 2010
    Sitting on the other side of the table.

Metamorphosis

You can't cast your summoning spells off this.
    Remember that time you left for a few days and your girl stayed behind?

I kept her company.

Quote Originally Posted by KærvekTheMerciless View Post
    Metamorphosis

You can't cast your summoning spells off this.
    Ya that's why I took it out, it wasn't working.

Thread Information