Page 197 of 197 FirstFirst ... 97147187193194195196197
Results 3,921 to 3,936 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    This 5-0 list seems good:
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/3190504#paper

Maindeck Spyglass for Oko, Marit Lage, and friends.
    Seems pretty standard. With Muxus mucking about, Blood Moon sounds even worse in the meta. Good on him for the 5-0, but I really don't feel comfortable sleeving this one up.

I haven't played Spyglass MD yet. It looks decent T1 on the play, sinkhole your opponent most likely, but how good is it after your opponent gets a turn? I'm just curious. Like I said, I haven't played it other than to Karn it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I do like the list a lot but the 1 of confluence seems strange, would rather it be 4th karn or 4th giant.
    Confluence x1 seems bad to draw when you want to +1 Chandra to draw three cards. I think the 2 Chandra should be Karn and Bonecrusher (that card is a BEAST) and Confluence could be a 4th Magus if you really find it all that powerful.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Anyone playing Eternal Weekend on MTGO this weekend? I played 4 leagues and faced RUG Delver at least 5 times. I think UR or Grixis Delver another 2-3 times. I think I saw Astrolabe in a Yorion deck once; any thoughts as to sleeving this up?
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."

Has anyone tried out the modal double faced lands in the deck?

Shatterskull Smashing
    Song-Mad Treachery
    Spikefield Hazard
    Valakut Awakening

all seem quite good at improving consistency to avoid mana flood/mana screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Has anyone tried out the modal double faced lands in the deck?

Shatterskull Smashing
    Song-Mad Treachery
    Spikefield Hazard
    Valakut Awakening

all seem quite good at improving consistency to avoid mana flood/mana screw.
    Shatterskull Smashing is amazing, and it 5-0'd a league or two already. I'm a huge fan of it, and I think maybe Valakut Awakening should be played in mono-R, too. I'm a fan of upping the mana count with these cards so your deck won't need to mulligan as often. Shatterskull should be at least a x3 imo; it's a land that kills Delver. Not many of those in Blood Moon.

Pelakka Predation has been quite good in my deck; the stronger spells might be better than the untapped one in stompy shells.

Chrome mox & no 1 drops removes a lot of the opportunity cost of running a tapped land.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Pelakka Predation has been quite good in my deck; the stronger spells might be better than the untapped one in stompy shells.

Chrome mox & no 1 drops removes a lot of the opportunity cost of running a tapped land.
    You make a good point.

I think a 2/2 split of Valakut Awakening and Shatterskull makes a lot of sense as a starting point. Maybe even a Song Mad Treachery in the board vs Show and Tell decks

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

What the f?

Moon Stompy is a DTB in the era of perfect mana and snow basics?

Way to go big guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    What the f?

Moon Stompy is a DTB in the era of perfect mana and snow basics?

Way to go big guy!
    Moon Stompy has been putting up solid results since Fireflux Squad got printed. Hope it will end up as a DTB again soon.

The below list just came 2nd in the challenge, piloted by McGuireCJ

Creature (24)
    4 Bonecrusher Giant
    4 Fireflux Squad
    4 Fury
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Legion Warboss
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Sorcery (4)
    4 Shatterskull Smashing

Artifact (11)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Trinisphere

Enchantment (4)
    4 Blood Moon

Land (17)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    9 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
    1 Trinisphere
    4 Dead // Gone
    3 Fiery Confluence
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Magus of the Moon

Most verisons of the above list play Anje’s Ravager or Kiran and Pia Nalaar or Seasoned Pyromancer or Hanweir Garrison or Magus of the Moon in the flex slots but Fury and Bonecrusher seems like solid inclusions here for the current meta.

The one other popular variant of this deck is the planeswalker variant utilizing Chandra and Karn instead of all these aggro creatures.

Sep 2011

This deck is funny:
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...#momo_th_place

13 big mana wincons that can't be countered (and 3 Fry SB). Sure awkward for those 7 Force + 4 Pyroblast/Prismatic Ending decks. Also RIP Shivan Dragon

I am shocked that 0 Bonecrusher Giant is optimal though. It must be better than some of the other midgame stabilizing tech.

Been a while.
    Are we really paying 3 life for a mountain. Aka we need that much overloaded planeswalker removal?
    4 fury isn’t enough?

I’d like to discus Shivan Devastator.
    In a vacuum, where you resolve a moon or chalice turn 1 and then play a turn 2 rabblemaster or a 4/4 devastator, rabblemaster wins the damage race and enables cool stuff like fireflux squad (which you can’t run squad and devastator obviously).
    However, I’m thinking about games where a couple of damage… or 6-7+ damage can finish the game if the don’t have an answer. Haste is really important and the flexible mana cost gives it a lot of lines imo. Imaging sometimes mid-late game you just drop a huge devastator and win immediately or in 2 turns.

Thanks for reading and appreciate everyone still contributing.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    Been a while.
    Are we really paying 3 life for a mountain. Aka we need that much overloaded planeswalker removal?
    4 fury isn’t enough?
    It's a Mountain that pitches to Chrome Mox and Fury. It also topdecks much better than Mountain.

That means it's a way to cheat up on total mana sources (more red sources & higher opening hand consistency) without mana flood (what happens if you just add a bunch of lands to a stompy deck with no card selection). Black Stompy runs double-faced-lands for the same reason.
    Last edited by FTW; 10-22-2022 at 03:59 PM.

May 2015
    PDX

Like @FTW is talking about, it's raw CA. You mulligan less + don't waste draw steps on late game do-nothings. It is relatively rare to have to shock this land into play untapped. The general opener is ETB tapped + pass or put on a Chrome Mox or in a sequence like Tomb -> City -> big play -> ETB tapped.

A good exercise is to name off every single non-xerox [non-cantrip cartel] deck you can think of that checks one of these boxes:
    A) green
    B) big blue mana
    C) big red mana

^with very few exceptions, they're all running land-spells (which includes channel lands). The reason we have to add 'big mana' prefix to red and blue is that Shatterskull and Otawara are more expensive than Boseju.

Sep 2011

Not bad for AI!

I wonder if it has some rationale for moving Chalice to the SB and maindecking Bolts, based on what Initiative decks are doing. The dragon part is a mess. Understandably it doesn't have much to work with in terms of proven legacy results, but it did pick out a random assortment of dragons on curve that appear Legacy playable. Not bad at all.

More traditional approach:

//Dragons: 8
    2 Invasion of Tarkir
    2 Atsushi, the Blazing Sky
    2 Terror of the Peaks
    2 Glorybringer

//Prison: 10
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Blood Moon
    2 Magus of the Moon

//Red Staples: 14
    4 Fury
    4 Caves of Chaos Adventurer
    4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker
    2 Bonecrusher Giant

//Mana: 28
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Shatterskull Smashing
    1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance
    7 Mountain

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Dead/Gone
    2 Karn's Sylex
    2 Fiery Confluence
    1 Into the Fire
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Leyline of the Void

There aren't really playable dragons below 4 mana. Shivan Devastator was a respectable attempt - there isn't much else. So for curve reasons you need to keep low cmc staples (prison pieces, Fable, then probably Rabblemaster or Bonecrusher Giant to have some gas at 2R). Dragons would replace high CMC slots. But Fury and Initiative are still better than any dragons you could run, so those occupy some high cmc slots too. That doesn't leave a lot of room for dragons. 8-10 seems right.

Maybe instead of Bonecrusher/Rabble you just play Seething Song to ramp into 5 mana dragons? That's what the old deck did.

Apr 2021
    Oz

The prison pieces would probably allow the seething song / dragon plan to work ok. Might have to try this and see if it's worth replacing the usual goblins.

I've seen cursed mirror showing up in a few lists recently. Can anyone enlighten me about what this card is for? Is it to keep pace with Reanimator or something?

Thanks!

Thread Information