Page 181 of 197 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,620 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [DTB] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwathnar View Post
    No doubt but in my testing I don't feel the full 3 is needed.
    I've either got the mana monkey in hand or a Mox on turn 1 so I can either Blood Moon, Chalice or Trinisphere lock my opponent (depends what they are playing).
    8 accelerators mean you have 65% chance to get one in the opening hand.
    With only 6 accelerators (2 mox), you fall to 54%. And the difference post mulligan is even greater.

T1 disruption is so important that I would personnaly keep the full Mox set.

Florian
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Quote Originally Posted by ParisFlorian View Post
    With only 6 accelerators (2 mox), you fall to 54%. And the difference post mulligan is even greater.

Florian
    I have to disagree with the full playset of mox, I have found that for me 2 is the right number. I've often been wishing it was a land and/or didn't exile my bombs (Chandra, confluence, P&K, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by ParisFlorian View Post

Florian
    Cool. What’s the percent with 3 Mox? Might be worth going with 3.

People cutting Mox doesn't make sense to me. Sure, after board in some matchups you want to board some out, but game 1 in the dark, you want your best chance at having a turn 1 proactive play. Cutting Mox for land or to save "bombs" just feels like being ok with losing as long as you didn't feel as bad along the way.

The biggest hurdle to playing this deck is pitching 3 spirit guides to cast a blood moon and being ok losing when it get's forced. You have to be ok with taking risk and losing. If you try to even out the deck by playing a fairer gameplan, instead just play a fairer deck that accomplishes that gameplan better.

Sorry if this question has been answered before, but I couldn't find a super clear answer. I'm interested in this deck but can't drop the money on a set of Cities. I know they're important, but is the deck at least competitively playable with Crystal Vein as a budget replacement?

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Depends on what you mean by competitive. If you can't afford Cities right now, then sure, buy a set of Veins and grind out as much as you can. Find a community that's willing to lend cards for larger (or even smaller) events. That's about all that can be said.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post
    People cutting Mox doesn't make sense to me....
    I was sceptical of doing it at first too, so I've made what I replaced them with stand out and am keeping a tally of how often I would have preferred mox in it's place. The current tally is 3/22

hey guys, i am actually playing the moggcatcher variant. anyhow i have question in general. till now i always played three copies of 'faerie macabre' in my SB. i ordered four leyline of the void to update my SB. i think its much better because decks caring about their graveyard often play discard... so my question is, in which matchup are you boarding in the leylines in? i mean of course against reanimator and storm. but especially what is with lands? RUG delver? is it worth boarding them in against Grixies? (shutting down a deathrite, gurmag angler)

thanks for replies

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEster52 View Post
    hey guys, i am actually playing the moggcatcher variant. anyhow i have question in general. till now i always played three copies of 'faerie macabre' in my SB. i ordered four leyline of the void to update my SB. i think its much better because decks caring about their graveyard often play discard... so my question is, in which matchup are you boarding in the leylines in? i mean of course against reanimator and storm. but especially what is with lands? RUG delver? is it worth boarding them in against Grixies? (shutting down a deathrite, gurmag angler)

thanks for replies
    I would not board Leyline against fair decks. It is an uncastable topdeck and doesn't actually stop their plan against you - counter/blow up lockpieces and then kill you. It's fine against Lands because there are certain cards in our main which aren't good there.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Cool. What’s the percent with 3 Mox? Might be worth going with 3.
    60%
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post
    People cutting Mox doesn't make sense to me. Sure, after board in some matchups you want to board some out, but game 1 in the dark, you want your best chance at having a turn 1 proactive play. Cutting Mox for land or to save "bombs" just feels like being ok with losing as long as you didn't feel as bad along the way.

The biggest hurdle to playing this deck is pitching 3 spirit guides to cast a blood moon and being ok losing when it get's forced. You have to be ok with taking risk and losing. If you try to even out the deck by playing a fairer gameplan, instead just play a fairer deck that accomplishes that gameplan better.
    I agree with that.
    I keep the 4 mox, even with the introduction of new non-red cards (Sorcerous spyglass, Karn...)

Florian

Latest 5-0 list. Things changed a bit.

I tried Lannery Storm. While it was hilarious to attack with Pirates (sound effects and all), but it was just too low impact for me. Pumping Karn tokens, while amusing, proved to be a nonbo with the rest of the deck since the rest of the deck was really mana hungry.

So, because I wasn't happy with the 3 drop creatures, I just dropped them entirely in favor of going harder on the lock elements, specifically the full 4 Trinispheres. It has already proved to help a ton against the bulk of the field, by forcing them to play at the same tempo I am, 1 spell a turn.

I came around to Hazoret after accepting that Hazoret and Bridge are good in different matchups, but in the matchups where Bridge is better, Hazoret helps me deal with the nonbos that Bridge has with Karn and Blood Sun.

I am accepting Kozilek's Return as better at the moment basically do to R instead of RR off Fallout. The extra colored source came back to bite me too hard.

Everytime I have Spyglassed, seen they have kept a 1 fetchland hand, they immediately draw another land that gets them out of it. Frustrating, to say the least. Oh well.

I am also thankful that I didn't have to concede games this time around to the current pre-game effects bug.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEster52 View Post

thanks for replies
    There are so may graveyard decks that just lose to our lock pieces that I never have been too worried about packing some hate in the SB. If I would though, I think I like Tormod's Crypt the most. Dodges discard, never uncastable, and has some synergy with Pia and Kiran if you run them.
    Last edited by Zupponn; 05-09-2018 at 03:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    The OP in this thread is so out of date. Would be nice if someone could update it.
    It is, sadly.

I don't play Legacy anymore, but I would update it, if someone experienced could tell me all the stuff this Primer needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells
    :16: - (See, now Erratic Explosion's a deck)
    Legendary Creature - Horror
    Haste, Hexproof, Double Strike, Trample
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells is indestructible.
    Permanents you control can't be sacrificed or copied.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

Quote Originally Posted by NecroYawgmoth View Post
    It is, sadly.

I don't play Legacy anymore, but I would update it, if someone experienced could tell me all the stuff this Primer needs.
    At a minimum, I think having a somewhat updated list in the OP that has a nice mix of the newer additions to the deck would be ideal.

Perhaps something like this...

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    11 Mountain

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Trinisphere

4 Blood Moon
    4 Blood Sun

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Captain Lannery Storm
    1 Hazoret the Fervent
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    3 Fiery Confluence
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza

SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Scab-Clan Berserker
    2 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Kozilek’s Return
    2 Volcanic Fallout
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Quicksmith Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by NecroYawgmoth View Post
    It is, sadly.

I think including just some new card choices would be enough. It's tough to get a decent list together for people to agree on (case in point - I'm a huge un-fan of Lannery Storm).

I might mention that there's a creature-Stompy build, and more of a control-Stax build. Most people seem to be on the control build.

New card options:

Prison
    Blood Sun
    Sorcerous Spyglass
    Ensnaring Bridge (not new, but more prevalent)

Win cons
    Chandra, ToD
    Chandra Pyromaster
    New Karn

WoGs
    Fiery Confluence
    Burning Wish
    Rolling Earthquake
    Kozilek's Return

Win cons - creatures
    Hazoret the Fervent
    Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    Walking Ballista
    Goblin Rabblemaster
    Hanweir Garrison

EDIT: Might be worth mentioning Imperial Recruiter now that they're <$200
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Quote Originally Posted by piroko139 View Post

Latest 5-0 list. Things changed a bit.

I tried Lannery Storm. While it was hilarious to attack with Pirates (sound effects and all), but it was just too low impact for me. Pumping Karn tokens, while amusing, proved to be a nonbo with the rest of the deck since the rest of the deck was really mana hungry.

So, because I wasn't happy with the 3 drop creatures, I just dropped them entirely in favor of going harder on the lock elements, specifically the full 4 Trinispheres. It has already proved to help a ton against the bulk of the field, by forcing them to play at the same tempo I am, 1 spell a turn.

I came around to Hazoret after accepting that Hazoret and Bridge are good in different matchups, but in the matchups where Bridge is better, Hazoret helps me deal with the nonbos that Bridge has with Karn and Blood Sun.

I am accepting Kozilek's Return as better at the moment basically do to R instead of RR off Fallout. The extra colored source came back to bite me too hard.

Everytime I have Spyglassed, seen they have kept a 1 fetchland hand, they immediately draw another land that gets them out of it. Frustrating, to say the least. Oh well.

I am also thankful that I didn't have to concede games this time around to the current pre-game effects bug.
    Why's scab clan being used in the sb over eidolon of the great revel?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Congrats Gary! Way to get there.

GARY CAMPBELL'S MONO-RED PRISON
    1st Place GP Birmingham

Planeswalker (4)
    2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    Creature (15)
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Hazoret the Fervent
    2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    Sorcery (4)
    4 Fiery Confluence
    Artifact (14)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Trinisphere
    Enchantment (4)
    4 Blood Moon
    Land (19)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    11 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
    4 Faerie Macabre
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    3 Scab-Clan Berserker
    2 Abrade
    3 Kozilek's Return
    1 Surgical Extraction
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 05-12-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinete View Post
    Why's scab clan being used in the sb over eidolon of the great revel?
    Because making RR and making 1RR are incredibly similar in this deck. So the slight difficulty in casting is wirth having the effect be one sided, un-linked from casting cost, and on a bigger beater to allow less time to for comebacks. With Scab, its much harder for someone to make enough goblins to go around your blockers and not die, where with Eidolon, you basically gift them 2 more spells to make it work.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Karn is the real deal guys. Just popping by to say so

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Thread Information