Page 97 of 197 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Jan 2013
    Land of Snow and Purple Rain

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Kind of a prison lock win card. We have elements of that but we're more of an attrition based aggro deck. doesn't fit our mold.

Feb 2015
    Seattle, WA, USA

Pretty interesting marriage of Goblins (4x Matron) and Stompy going on in this list.
    "Move swift as a wind, stay silent as a forest. Strike fierce as a fire, be stalwart as a mountain."

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Morzas View Post
    Pretty interesting marriage of Goblins (4x Matron) and Stompy going on in this list.
    For ease of reference:

Goblin Stompy by Hunter Briggs
    7th Place at StarCityGames.com Premier IQ on 10/4/2015

Creatures (24)
    4 Goblin Matron
    2 Goblin Rabblemaster
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Magus of the Moon
    4 Moggcatcher
    1 Murderous Redcap
    3 Siege-Gang Commander
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    2 Krenko, Mob Boss

Planeswalkers (1)
    1 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands (21)
    9 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Sandstone Needle

Spells (14)
    3 Chalice of the Void
    3 Chrome Mox
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Blood Moon
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Sphere of Resistance
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Gempalm Incinerator
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Vexing Shusher
    1 Boil
    4 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Boiling Seas
    1 Shatterstorm

Sandstone Needle seems like an interesting card worth some discussion. I've seen it in Mono- Sneak Attack lists, but never in Stompy. It is replacing City of Traitors in this list.

Worth noting:Not sure if Matron is Moggcatchers 5-8 or if Moggcatcher is Matron 5-8.

Congrats Hunter!

I have a question about REB in the sideboard. Obviously this conflicts with Chalice on 1. Is the idea that you take the Chalices out for REB or you use them in conjunction with Chalice to be able to stop their spells entirely (you now gain stack interaction)?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
    I have a question about REB in the sideboard. Obviously this conflicts with Chalice on 1. Is the idea that you take the Chalices out for REB or you use them in conjunction with Chalice to be able to stop their spells entirely (you now gain stack interaction)?
    I have the same question for Hunter if he reads the Source...

Also, why 1 Boil and 1 Boiling Seas? (as opposed to 2 Boil)
    How often is Matron your first play? How exactly are you using Matron in this deck (proactively? reactively?)

Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post

Also, why 1 Boil and 1 Boiling Seas? (as opposed to 2 Boil)
    How often is Matron your first play? How exactly are you using Matron in this deck (proactively? reactively?)
    I am guessing he planned on seeing a lot of sneak and show. Matron is a great flip to show and tell. Go get your stingscourger and bounce whatever they play.

*EDIT He isn't even running the stingscourger so that makes me even more confused*

I've seen other lists running REB so perhaps someone can chime in even if Hunter does not check these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by potatodavid View Post
    I am guessing he planned on seeing a lot of sneak and show. Matron is a great flip to show and tell. Go get your stingscourger and bounce whatever they play.

*EDIT He isn't even running the stingscourger so that makes me even more confused*
    He has it in the board.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by potatodavid View Post
    He has 1 in the sideboard.

But even looking through his toolbox, the only goblin that is better in his hand than directly into play is Gempalm Incinerator.
    I'm missing the Sandstone Needles and a handful of sideboard cards (Sphere, Shusher, Incinerator, Seas) but plan to pilot this list at my weekly to see if Matron's role is intuitive of if I need to be spoon-fed his strategy.

Jan 2013

His list is really unique to begin with. Might just be tutoring up a rabble and starting the beats or if he needs to, they might be moggcatcher 4-8. Its not a bad strategy its just interesting.

Feb 2013
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Morzas View Post
    Wouldn't you be better off with Imperial Recruiter instead of Goblin Matron? I guess more often than not, Goblin Matron will be uncounterable with Cavern of Souls, but Imperial Recruiter can grab Magus of the Moon and possible non-goblin sideboard cards such as Phyrexian Revoker, Jaya Ballard, Task Mage etc. This my not be that significant for Briggs' list, and maybe it's negligible for most Moggcatcher builds, but I think it's something to consider.

Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Hopkins View Post
    Wouldn't you be better off with Imperial Recruiter instead of Goblin Matron? r.
    Possible budget decision

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Hopkins View Post
    This may not be that significant for Briggs' list.
    I'm thinking this is correct. The only cards Imperial Recruiter gets over Goblin Matron is Moggcatcher and Magus of the Moon.
    There is also an argument that can be made regarding Cavern of Souls, but it isn't strong because Recruiter is a member of the Human tribe along with Catcher and Magus.

Sometimes I will board out Chalices if I bring in REB or Pyroblast and sometimes not. Depends on the matchup.

The keep it simple, if I'm mostly just blanking cantrips and maybe plow, I'll take the chalices out. They can cantrip away and I will sandbag blast for S&T, Jace TMS, FoW.
    If there are high impact 1 drops like delver, top, etc I will include all.

Often, chalice is countered or removed so the conflict is a minor issue for the powerful possibility to blast. Blasts just wins games.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    Often, chalice is countered or removed so the conflict is a minor issue for the powerful possibility to blast. Blasts just wins games.
    Sooo... the ol' "dies to removal"?

Edit: I reread and actually understand what you're saying now about REBs. Still really confused as to your general outlook on boarding Chalices tho.

Jan 2013

Wat?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Sooo... the ol' "dies to removal"?
    Smart ass.
    O-man's feedback was more nuanced than you are giving credit for.

He was pointing out that in certain matchups REB/CotV don't necessarily conflict because if one works, the other isn't necessary. Or if one fails, the other is there as backup.

It is similar to running Aether Vial and CotV in Merfolk. You're happy landing either one. If you get a Vial in before CotV, bully for you. If not, you have the Vial ready in case they find an answer to CotV.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Smart ass.
    O-man's feedback was more nuanced than you are giving credit for.

He was pointing out that in certain matchups REB/CotV don't necessarily conflict because if one works, the other isn't necessary. Or if one fails, the other is there as backup.

It is similar to running Aether Vial and CotV in Merfolk. You're happy landing either one. If you get a Vial in before CotV, bully for you. If not, you have the Vial ready in case they find an answer to CotV.
    Yeah, I just read that again. My b. :V

Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Jan 2009

I'm not sure I completely understand the odd 3/3/3 splits, but I guess I can't argue with results . It just seems kind of odd he's running 21 lands with a split like that, for example if I was building I'd either run 4 chrome mox and less lands or run 4 mox diamonds and a couple more lands in case he decides to pitch another Tomb and/or Needle. It's sort of a double edged sword 'cause I understand multiples are bad, but keeping a no Mox hand and drawing into it turn 3 is almost worse.

Matron with Cavern kind of makes sense, but I still feel like just about any non-blue match Recruiter is far better-- you can get EXACTLY the card you need, so if its Magus, Revoker, Jaya or even something like Metamorph or Duplicant, you could get any silver bullet. You're already running Chalice/3sphere, rhetorical question but how much worth it are those extra caverns?
    May your suffering equal your weakness
    --Ihsan's Shade

Jan 2013

I am going to try something similar and see how it goes. I feel like this was a budget deck that just went on a tear and landed in all the right MU's for the day.

Thread Information