Sideboard:

1 Goblin Tinkerer
    2 Pyrokinesis
    3 Perish
    3 Leyline of the Void
    3 Chalice of the Void
    3 Red Elemental Blast

Re: [Deck] Vial Goblins 2.0

I can understand the cut to 3 Vials. Getting a double vial opener without Matrons or Ringleaders is almost a definite mulligan. I am not sure I like the decision though, because it raises the odds of not having a turn one play, which we need for most MUs.

Jan 2011
    Syracuse, NY

Most of the time I run 4 vials. Sometimes just 3. I understand the mathematics but honestly I haven't noticed any difference other than not hitting it off of Ringleader as much or drawing it late game when it's terrible. I've been rocking Goblins since the Dark believe me I understand how amazing Vial is.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

I understand going to 3 Vials with Merfolk, because their curve is so low.

With goblins it just seem wrong. I disagree with mulliganing a hand with 2 Vials and no Matron/Ringleader. There are lots of decks that roll over to Vial, and they do everything (Force of Will it, which is the best Hymn to Tourach in the world), and then you just cast the 2nd one next turn.
    Also, it takes 4 turns to Vial go up to 3, so there are 3 turns to draw other 3cc goblins, which is not a bad math.I'd definitively keep a hand with 2 Vials, 2 Lands, Fanatic, Piledriver, Chieftain. Wouldn't you? Goblins has one of the best "topdecks" out there. We shouldn't underestimate it.

(And I love those games where I leave a Vial @3 and one @5. It's like you're cheating when you draw a Matron)
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Jul 2011
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by liamb View Post
    interesting decklist

http://jupitergamesonline.com/2011/8...nelcq-coverage

3rd Place: Brian Thomas
    I also don't understand playing only 3 Vials, Ports and Wastelands, while playing 23 Lands, as well as playing Tinkerer. He just doesn't get rid of Jitte, without haste or Fanatic on the board. By the way Brian Thomas also chose Fanatic over Tarfire...?

I also have a problem when having a single vial on the board. I love to have it set @4, that way I can cheat ringleader, Tuktuk or Wort into play, but what to do when hitting SGC. Since I play him as a 1 off, ticking up vial would only be useful once, afterwards this vial is dead and hardcasting SGC is rough too, with all the wastelands and stuff around... So my question is either to cut SGC at all, which I don't like at all or to play 2 again?
    Gobbos: Kings of flavortext!

Jan 2011
    Syracuse, NY

I'm only gonna say it again. I don't always play 3 vials. It's usually 4. I was tinkering with my deck an hour before. What I ended up with was pretty good to me, 3rd place... I didn't miss vial #4. I hate when somebody makes a minor change to their core and the Goblin "Gods" go crazy.
    Mogg Fanatic over Tarfire? Yes! Fanatic takes out Delver and a bunch of other shit with an ass of 1. Granted so does Tarfire. Fanatic has better synergy with Sharpshooter, Gempalm and Piledriver. That's right he attacks. Tarfire does not. I ended a few games Saturday swinging a bunch of Goblins then throwing a Fanatic or two at them. I was gonna run Tarfire but realized I don't own any. I ran Fanatic instead and he's still good.
    I addressed Tinkerer a few post back. Check it out... As far as my mana base goes, I loved it. I never played/owned ports before Saturday. I was concerned about drawing to many colorless mana sources so I played 3 Wasteland 3 Ports it worked fine. I took 3rd.
    I liked everything about my deck Saturday. I wish I had more Bryant Cook hate but oh well. Anybody who wants to sit around and talk about my shit just remember we're all grown ups and we can do whatever we want. I like my list and have given a few explanations of card choices. The bottom line is the deck is good. I took 3rd.

i've been having trouble lately with tempo / control decks. so i decided since they are going to only run 3 different creatures and hope to ride them to victory i might as well pack at least 3 different removal cards to deny that. also i feel like goblins is 10x stronger when the opponent has zero creatures in play (obviously) so heres a new list.

//Lands [21]
    4 wasteland
    4 bloodstained mire
    4 arid mesa
    2 taiga
    2 badlands
    5 mountain

//Core [24]:
    -1 vial
    -1 warchief

//other [15]:
    4 gempalm incinerator
    4 warren weirding
    4 lightning bolt
    3 mogg war marshal

drawing / ringleader into vial isnt good late game, so i cut 1. warchief was the only core card i could think of that could even be possibly cut. and i decided to move sharpshooter to the sideboard because hes really only awesome against affinity and elves.

//sideboard (changes with your metagame obviously)

1 goblin sharpshooter
    2 krosan grip
    2 tin street hooligan
    3 perish
    4 leyline of the void
    3 red elemental blast / tormod's crypt

havent played this new list in a tournament but i intend to this week. let me know what yall think. i made it to beat decks that ride only a small handful of creatures to victory (rug tempo)

Jun 2010
    Central NY

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
    ... I was tinkering with my deck an hour before. ... I hate when somebody makes a minor change to their core and the Goblin "Gods" go crazy.
    Mogg Fanatic over Tarfire? ... Fanatic has better synergy with Sharpshooter, Gempalm and Piledriver. That's right he attacks. Tarfire does not. I ended a few games Saturday swinging a bunch of Goblins then throwing a Fanatic or two at them. ... The bottom line is the deck is good. I took 3rd.
    I lol'd. "Hey, it worked. What more do you want?"

I like that point about Fanatic over Tarfire tho. I'm running 4 Tarfire, but to each his own. I'll test me some Fanatic though.

One thing I'm finding is the manadenial is nearly irrelevant after a certain amount of turns. Wasting/Porting land only works for so long, against certain decks. Other decks it's completely irrelevant. Considering Goblins want to get their dudes through as often as possible, what about cutting the manadenial for removal-type lands? Like Barbarian Ring. Mouth of Ronom w/snow mountains. I'll test that idea.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

I'm only gonna say it again. I don't always play 3 vials. It's usually 4. I was tinkering with my deck an hour before. What I ended up with was pretty good to me, 3rd place... I didn't miss vial #4. I hate when somebody makes a minor change to their core and the Goblin "Gods" go crazy.
    Mogg Fanatic over Tarfire? Yes! Fanatic takes out Delver and a bunch of other shit with an ass of 1. Granted so does Tarfire. Fanatic has better synergy with Sharpshooter, Gempalm and Piledriver. That's right he attacks. Tarfire does not. I ended a few games Saturday swinging a bunch of Goblins then throwing a Fanatic or two at them. I was gonna run Tarfire but realized I don't own any. I ran Fanatic instead and he's still good.
    I addressed Tinkerer a few post back. Check it out... As far as my mana base goes, I loved it. I never played/owned ports before Saturday. I was concerned about drawing to many colorless mana sources so I played 3 Wasteland 3 Ports it worked fine. I took 3rd.
    I liked everything about my deck Saturday. I wish I had more Bryant Cook hate but oh well. Anybody who wants to sit around and talk about my shit just remember we're all grown ups and we can do whatever we want. I like my list and have given a few explanations of card choices. The bottom line is the deck is good. I took 3rd.
    Ah, that's you! Congrats. How many players, rounds, etc? Any chance you're writing a report?

On your decklist: 3 Waste, 3 Port, 3 Vial, why not? You're still running 7 1-drops that cheat Goblins into play, and you're still running 6 lands that produce colorless mana and disrupt your opponents' lands. You still have tons of redundancy for those effects, so it doesn't change the way the deck plays or anything.

I totally understand running Fanatic over Tarfire too. Running Fanatic keeps Goblins more aggressive, more on the attack, and let's face it, 1-butt creatures are kinda dominating the format right now so he's often all you need. And he's probably not AS good against SFM as Tarfire is, but you still have Weirdings and such to take them out.

The only card you're running that I really disagree with is Wort. Wort has never helped me win a game I didn't already have in the bag. Ringleader giving you cards immediately is almost always better than Wort's potential. How did Wort work for you this time around?

Anyway, congratulations again.

Siege-Gang Commander
    Feb 2008
    The Netherlands

If you want creatures to connect you want: Smoldering Spires or Soaring Seacliff.

I've had success with Instigator/Piledriver and Smoldering Spires in the past, but I dunno how good it would be in the current meta.

I know that it's prolly a bad idea, but maybe running two Halimar Depths instead of Ports is worth testing. Considering that we often run eight fetch lands it might improve our draws in mid-late game or whenever it counts.

Jan 2011
    Syracuse, NY

I didn't see Wort to much. I can think of 2 times the recurring Warren Weirding won me games Saturday. I almost always take her out because I'm not sold on her 100%,I just can't do it yet. There have actually been times in the past I won with her because of fear... I've never written a report before. I may try later after my daughter is sleeping. It will be terrible because I'm bad with names of players and deck.

Jan 2011
    Syracuse, NY

My day at Jupiter went something like this...
    Round 0. Popped a pill and a shot of Absolute. Bought Japanese Rishadan Ports and decided to play them at the last minute.
    Round 1. I don't remember the guys name. It looked like Canadian Trash with Delver? I went ape shit and won 2-0.
    Round 2. The pill is kicking in. I played Tariq White. He was playing something with SFM. I go nuts game 1. Game 2 I stick chalice at 1 shutting down half his deck, and waste his only land. I felt bad doing that to a friend but fuck it he would've done it to me. I win 2-0
    Round 3. Against Jon Barber. He was playing some thresh type deck with Delver. He wins game 1 with a couple Mongeese. I board in Leyline, Perish, REB thinking it's a traditional type thresh. In hindsight Leyline was clearly a mistake. But I don't play as often as I used to. Game 2 I go nuts and win. Game 3 I drop Leyline. Then Delver makes his first appearance of the match. Then I proceed to do nothing and get beat down by double Delver. I lose 2-1
    Round 4. I don't remember his name & didn't recognize the deck. Game 1 he gets an Elspeth out, I have Wort in play. I get removal back multiple times. That's right Elspeth, fuck your tokens. I win game 1. Game 2 starts out kinda slow. I waste a land leaving him at 2 lands, 3 when he plays 1 on his turn. I choose to be retarded and it works. I tried to blow up his Top with Tinkerer at his end step. He puts it on top of his library and draws. On his next turn I Port a land and he cast Top. I try to blow it up again. He puts in on top again... So by Porting a land and using Tinkerer on Top I effectively kept him on 1 land for a few turns while I smash face. I win 2-0.
    Round 5. James Aspen. Landstill. He takes game 1. I can't deal with Factory. I board in Tinkerer as he keeps Factory in check when I don't draw Wasteland. Game 2 I drop all 4 Ringleaders 4 turns in a row. Which lead to a big ass army of Goblins. I win. Game 3 we both mull to 5. His 5 treated him really badly. With my 5 I opened a can of smash face. I win 2-1.
    Round 6. Some guy playing a Bloodbraid Elf deck. I smash face game 1, he does nothing. I'm wondering how he made it to 4-1 with this pile of whatever the fuck he's playing. Game 2 he ass rapes me and my question is answered. Game 3 there's a little back and forth. I draw some good shit and win 2-1.
    Round 7. I'm in fifth place. My opponent first. We talk about drawing into top 8. He's in for sure. I come to the conclusion that a lot would have to go wrong for me not to make in. If I lose I'm out. After realizing we talked over 10 minutes already we drew. I rolled the dice. I made it. 5-1-1
    Top 8. Jon Barber. My only loss of the day. All day I was mad at myself for the bad decision I made boarding against him. I smashed face game 1. Game 2 there was a little going back and forth. Towards the end he's got 2 Goyfs in play I've got nothing in play or in hand. I'm at 4. I rip Perish and it resolves. He cast another Goyf. I rip Warren Weirding it resolves. He does nothing. I think drew Ringleader here... Regardless he does nothing. I drop Goblins. I win 2-0.
    Top 4. Bryant Cook. TES. Not only do I hate this match up, I hate when Cookie is playing it. He doesn't make mistakes and his so fucking lucky against me. He takes game 1. Game 2 I stick Chalice at 1. I Port a land for a few turns til I can get a few guys in play. By the time he deals with Chalice it's to late I take game 2. Game 3 he goes off turn 1. All I can do is watch. He plays a bunch of shit he got off of Ad Nauseam. He's got the storm count up and lots of extra mana. He has no win condition though. After a little shit talking back and forth(classic Brian vs Bryant behavior) he realizes he has brainstorm left as his only option... His first card off Brainstorm was Burning Wish... Bryant wins 2-1.

Side notes for the day. I kissed my deck before almost every round. It ran beautifully for me all day. I made very few play mistakes, prolly because I wasn't drunk. I got really lucky at times, like against Jon Barber. I think our match up comes down to the die roll anyway. The die roll. I won maybe 2 die rolls all day. Fuck you dice. Ringleader was very good to me all day. I mulled to 5 and won 3 times, like I said lucky.

Haha, love your style Big Sexy.

I tried to blow up his Top with Tinkerer at his end step. He puts it on top of his library and draws. On his next turn I Port a land and he cast Top. I try to blow it up again. He puts in on top again... So by Porting a land and using Tinkerer on Top I effectively kept him on 1 land for a few turns while I smash face. I win 2-0.
    classic.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

I ran Big Sexy's list (3 vial, 3 waste, 3 port) Thursday night and it worked quite well.
    R1 UW
    Draw
    R2 Maverick
    I crushed. 2-0
    R3 Dredge
    G1 he wiffed on dredgers. G2 I mulled to Leyline. 2-0
    R4 ANT
    0-2. I was on the draw G1, and didn't draw hate G2.

I was very happy with the build. The Draw R1 was unfortunate, but a winnable MU. R4 was just Goblins V Combo. not much you can do there. And Wort is coming out of the MD and an Earwig Squad is going in.

Jan 2011
    Syracuse, NY

I'm glad it worked well for you. I may try the Earwig Squad thing to. I've always wanted to give them a try I always forget though. Another interesting 1 of I sometimes run instead of Wort is Caterwauling Boggart. It's very good in certain situations. It seems like a win more card though. Has anyone tried this besides me?

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Played in another 1.5 tourney today. I did horribly.

R1 - UB Dark Depths / Thopter Foundry
    G1 - I lackey into Sharpshooter after he plays Foundry. W.
    G2 - I have a Vial at 2 and a Matron in hand, but cannot stop the inevitable Merrit Lange because I used Big Sexy's list and ran 3 Warren Weirdings instead of 2 Weirdings and 1 Stingscourger. I knew better. Having redundancy is good, but having flexible redundancy is better.
    G3 - I had the Waste for his Dark Depths, but he had the Stifle. When I cast Weirding on my turn, he had the Spell Snare.
    0-1

R2 UR Snapcaster/Delver
    G1 I Waste his lands. Prowl in Earwig that I now play MD instead of Wort. W
    G2 Just... W
    1-1

R3 BWG
    G1 - T2 Stoneforge into Jitte and other bad stuff
    G2 - Goyf and Ridiculousness galore.
    1-2
    Drop

I think there's another tourney for me to play in tomorrow. I'll certainly play a Stingscourger instead of Weirding #3 MD. My ego is bruised and it needs healing.

Jul 2011
    Canada

I also played a small local tourney this weekend. About 30 people showed up, so we're playing 6 rounds. I used a similar list to Big Sexy, running RB with 3 Mogg Fanatic and Wort, but also with Stinger instead of WW, 4 Ports, Wastelands and Vials and I changed the Sideboard a little

Round 1: Bant
    G1: He get's 3 Knights online and StP like 5 times with 3 Spells plus Witness and Snapcaster. L
    G2: I get to draw into 2 Perish, while one gets FoW and the other one sticks, but he gets a Jace online and when I finally finish that, he topdecks an Elspeth, gets the token and equippes a Jitte, which I can't handle. L
    0-1
    Round 2: Sneak and Tell
    G1: I race him until he has a Show 'n' Tell into Progenitus but I walk by with Piledriver. W
    G2: He goes into ramp and puts Sneak Attack and Emrakul on the board like turn 3, which takes all my 6 permanents away. L
    G3: I race him down to 6 life, when he gets the Sneak Attack and Emrakul. L
    0-2
    Round 3: UR Tempo
    G1: I'm very slow and have no removal for Delver, when I finally get it done, I'm at 10 life so Price of Progress and 3 Bolts seal the deal. L
    G2: I get to manascrew him and just walk trough. W
    G3: This is pretty close, he gets my down to 3 life but doesn't find the 2nd mountain for Fireblast. W
    1-2
    Round 4: Zoo
    G1: He just beats me down with 3 Goyf. L
    G2: I double waste him and remove all blockers. W
    G3: I just can't handle the bunch of creatures he puts down every turn and die without making any damage. L
    1-3 Drop

Overall it was a very bad day for me. I wished to have beaten Bant right at the start with Perish or even game 3 in the Sneak and Tell game. I felt like I always needed answers instead of putting threats on the table. Also my ringleaders failed to do their job. In 4 plays he revealed once 4 Lands and 2 times only one goblin. It just wasn't my day, although I felt like playing bad even if there haven't been to many mistakes... It is just hard to play vs. SFM, Knight and Plainswalkers, as well as MoR, cause we're pretty slow. My Lackey hardly connected, but most of the time I didn't have one and started out with Vial.
    I was gonna play Goblins all the time, especially since Gobbolord announced he quit playing it, but it's just a hard winter for us, even more with the banning of MM.

Jan 2011
    Syracuse, NY

I dropped Stingscourger because he wasn't doing me any good. I can think of maybe 3 times I was happy to see him in about a year of playing him. Let's bounce a dude so they can replay said dude and yours usually goes away... Right. The last straw with scourger was at a local and SFM was in play with Batterskull equipped. I draw Stingscourger... I bounce SFM next turn he replays it & gets Jitte. I don't want a card that is useless half the time main deck.

Jul 2011
    Canada

Well, sometimes he's great at bouncing Knights or Goyfs, but also Emrakul and other fatties. With warchief in play he even has haste-so I have mixed feelings about him-otherwise I would replace him with Gempalm and loose a SB slot.

Jan 2011
    Syracuse, NY

For the people who tried my list or just tried Fanatic, how is he in your decks? I'm just curious?

Thread Information