Thread: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

Hybrid View

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

[EDH] Cromat - Five Color Planeswalker Control

I started playing EDH around the time of Lorwyn/Shards of Alara. I wanted to build a deck focused on the new planeswalker card type and had a few to choose from. Making this deck five colors gave me the excuse I needed to buy some dual lands but it also guaranteed that I had the option to play any future planeswalkers. As more were printed the deck grew into itself.

The deck was designed to exploit two things:
    • Most players use creature based strategies
    • Planeswalkers are difficult to destroy

38 Lands

31 Planeswalkers
    These are the Super Friends. Only one of each planeswalker type allowed.

30 Other Cards

The General
    • Cromat - Originally Cromat was selected to bind five colors. He has proven to be a reliable finisher capable of delivering 21 damage in three swings. His five activated abilities make him one of the most versatile creatures in Magic.

I would describe this deck as "competitive" but not "ultra-competitive". It is strongest against creature-heavy decks or decks that rely on the general.

I'm interested to hear about any cards I may have missed that a deck with a high planeswalker density can abuse!
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 04-13-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Jan 2011
    Syracuse

Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

I think there are some possible cards that aren't necessarilly the best options...but they are still possibles:

Steady Progress
    Throne of Geth
    Thrummingbird
    Lux Cannon
    Clockspinning
    Contagion Clasp
    Gilder Bairn

There's a proliferate deck that's wandering around that is pretty funny and you should take a look at, it runs a ton of artifacts though (something I dont' think you can do without neudering your mana base) so I'm not sure how helpful it will be.

I disagree with a couple of your creature choices, but it's more flavor than anything. I'd personally run Bringer of the Blue Dawn and Bringer of the Black Dawn over Frost Titan and Wurmcoil Engine because I prefer creatures that add utility, rather than just "beef" - but again, that's just personal preferance - frost titan and Wurmcoil are obviously fantastic cards.

The other cards that I thought you'd take advantage of are:

Lighthouse Chronologist
    Savor the Moment
    Time Stretch
    Time Warp
    Walk the Aeons

Chronologist seems relevant because of counter manipulation, savor and walk seem relevant because you have no need for your mana once you have a couple of PW's on the board - I'd actually consider armegeddon to lock things up. Stretch and warp...well they're just good.

Then there were a few utility cards that I was surpised to see you not playing with

Eternal Witness
    Sterling Grove
    Duplicant
    Vindicate
    Jace Beleren
    Enlightened Tutor

I'm mostly surprised about E-Wit, Grove and Jace since you run sun titan...I know you aren't running 2 forms of any PW's, but the second jace is pretty good and low on the curve too. I think Sterling Grove is the real gem in this group though - it kinda seems like a no-brainer, it either finds your enchantments or protects them...

Lastly I'd probably run Filter lands (shadowmoor block) or Artifact mana over the Shards Tri-Lands - but that's just preferance.

Very cool deck though, you did a nice job of making it competitive but not just utilizing the colors to make something broken. Very cool.
    Team Disqualified Poster - Because not everyone gets to be astronauts when the grow up.

Original Poster to the Deadguy Ale thread when Jitte was suggested:
    Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    What? Is this the magicthegathering.com message boards? What would you take out for it? More importantly, what 10 creatures would you put in? This isn't the proper archetype for equipment of any kind-it's resource denial. This format is Legacy-for the most part, equipment is too slow.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Thanks for the comments!

Gilder Bairn would be nuts... unfortunately he needs to be tapped to actually use him.
    Contagion Clasp lost its spot to Contagion Engine. Throne doesn't have enough fodder with only 9 artifacts.

Quote Originally Posted by bokwinkle View Post
    I disagree with a couple of your creature choices, but it's more flavor than anything. I'd personally run Bringer of the Blue Dawn and Bringer of the Black Dawn over Frost Titan and Wurmcoil Engine because I prefer creatures that add utility, rather than just "beef" - but again, that's just personal preferance - frost titan and Wurmcoil are obviously fantastic cards.
    Yeah I'd say those are personal flavor options. The bringers are also a cycle of formidable creatures. =)

The Chronologist is a little blue heavy for my liking...
    Although I could see Time Warp replacing Mind Twist.
    Armaggedon would get me banned from my play group =)

Quote Originally Posted by bokwinkle View Post
    Then there were a few utility cards that I was surpised to see you not playing with

Eternal Witness
    Sterling Grove
    Duplicant
    Vindicate
    Jace Beleren
    Enlightened Tutor
    E-Wit is an excellent card but Naya Charm took her spot. I use it for tapping down creatures more often than grabbing something from the graveyard.
    Vindicate lost its spot to Maelstrom Pulse
    Sterling Grove just doesn't have enough to protect. I'd run E Tutor over it and I don't run that...
    You bring up a good point about Sun Titan and make me question if Inferno Titan should have that spot... Sun Titan mostly recurs my lands. There's only 12 or so permanents he can actually pull back. Hmmmmmm

I'm fairly confident in my land base. I had playtested the m10/m11 dual lands in place of the Shards Tri-lands and regretted it.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 05-19-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Jan 2011
    Syracuse

Yeah, most of my suggestions are player preferance, and not much that is going to drastically change or improve the deck.

After goldfishing the deck a bit (I have a program that allows me to build decks and goldfish) I now understand what you mean by the lack of targets for enlightened tutor and sterling grove...there just isn't enough there. I found that when i went to make changes that I was adding a lot of "big mana" type stuff to tutor for, which didn't make a lot of sense with that many planeswalkers. Generally the deck lost focus and degenerated pretty quickly, so I tend to agree with your assessment here.

In testing I had a hell of time finding a use for Tezz, Skullclamp, Lightning Greaves, and Sun Titan. Crucible also seemed a bit forced, although it did help with mana screw a couple of times. I felt like these cards could be re-considered for draw spells and/or powerful creatures. I also found myself wanting Tooth and Nail and Eternal Witness a lot. The deck is pretty creature light, so the equipment was a tough sell for me, and you already talked about Sun Titan.

I did make some use of Tezz by swaping the tri-lands with some good artifact mana though, it allowed me to force through some great plays - I really think this avenue is worth exploring further. At first it seemed like a bad choice because most of the artifact mana was colorless, but there are a few gems like Everflowing Chalice and Coalition Relic that pair well with counter manipulation. And eventually I was seeing earlier PW's and the deck gained a bit of speed - quite a bit of speed if I saw Tezz.

I also found chronologist very blue heavy and generally win-more...but he was pretty fun...lol. If I were going to run just one turn spell in this deck I would pick Walk the Aeons over Time Warp. The 1 mana more is insignificant in EDH, and you don't have to buy it back if you need the mana - but it's nice to have the option.

I've really enjoyed fishing this out though. I think I might try and build a 5-color Planewalker deck as well - there will be some significant differences, but a bunch of planesalkers will be present.
    Team Disqualified Poster - Because not everyone gets to be astronauts when the grow up.

What? Is this the magicthegathering.com message boards? What would you take out for it? More importantly, what 10 creatures would you put in? This isn't the proper archetype for equipment of any kind-it's resource denial. This format is Legacy-for the most part, equipment is too slow.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I'm glad you had fun testing it out! Did you have a chance to play Maelstrom Nexus?

I agree with you about the weak slots!

Tezzeret the Seeker - If I play Tezz then my first move is usually dropping 3 for Rings of Brighthearth. The following turn I'll kill Tezz by removing 1 and doubling the effect with Rings to get Sol Ring and Top.
    I was hoping the new Tezz would be something I could play in this deck. Unfortunately I have no way to abuse Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas. I will more than likely keep Tezz until a better PW comes along (he's foil... and not the ugly Duel Decks one).

Sun Titan - I'll start looking for an Inferno Titan. I have a bias against the Inferno Titan cause I'm an idiot, but he really does fit the slot better. My reasoning for running the Titan cycle over the Bringer cycle or others is the ETB ability. As you noticed I run VERY few creatures; mostly mana dorks. I don't expect any creature I play to live long enough to attack. Sounds stupid but at least I'm not disappointed when it does die, and if it lives then it's a bonus. With the Titan cycle I get an immediate benefit just for playing the creatures.

Skullclamp - Broken with Bitterblossom or Elspeth... But after looking through my list, those really are the only cards it is good with. I'm keeping Bitterblossom and Elspeth no matter what, but I'll need to reconsider the clamp.

Lightning Greaves - This was a test slot that I put in when I added the Titan cycle (imagine the deck with 5 fewer creatures than it currently has!). It's stupid with any of the Titans. Otherwise it kind of sits there. Before I added the Titan's this slot was actually a Sunforger. When I first built the deck I had each charm from the 2 tri-color cycles in it cause options are good. Especially options you can tutor for with Sunforger (each charm has either red or white and the CMC is 3!). I was also able to tutor for Undermine, Double Negative, and Punish Ignorance. Eventually only Bant and Naya Charms were left and the novelty of Sunforging for answers wore off...

Crucible stays! It's my most common Target for Demonic Tutor in the first 4 turns as long as I've already cracked a fetch. And I already mentioned Mind Twist is on the chopping block, again preferably for an upcoming planeswalker...
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 05-19-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Jan 2011
    Syracuse

Yeah, I've played with Nexus before, it's a blast. Personally, if I was going to tutor for nexus a lot I'd probably run some evoke creatures and other stuff with alternate casting costs...at least Shriekmaw and Mulldrifter - especially with all of the 4 CMC walkers in here.

Tezz - I think you have room to make him broken with just a few swaps of Artifacts for Lands...the accelleration really makes this thing hum.

Titans - it depends on your playgroup. In my group I prefer bringers because people have a tendancy to work on their own board position rather than disrupt other people's boardstates - so I like to force big/dumb dudes on the board. Also the Bringers have a funny interaction with Nexus. I do appreciate the 187 feel of the titans though.

Skullclamp - I'd replace it with blue sun's zenith, it pairs well with your countermagic, and it could also benefit from the long games associated with trying to ultimate PW's. This is another card that could benefit from artifact accelleration as well.

Greaves - I hate this card. I don't even like it in decks where it's really good...lol. It is good with titans, I cannot debate that, and it can give your opponents fits if they are relying on sorcery speed removal...but I just can't get on board with it, because every time I draw it I'm on turn 50 and the board is clogged. Oh...and you can't tutor for Undermine with Sunforger...lol (I know you meant absorb). I've actually made an EDH deck specifically built around sunforger...it's a great card, but it doesn't take long to figure out that it's versatility is really limited in EDH because 4 mana instants are generally pretty underpowered (I also tried to use Isochron Scepter to take advantage of all of the cheap instants and I still couldn't get it to work).

Crucible does provide some nice fixing - but there has to be some more things you can do with it rather that just provide fixing - especially if you are tutoring for it so often. There's an aweful lot of land out there that can provide some versatility to the deck - even something like Horizon Canopy would be decent.

Re: [EDH] Cromat - Five Color Planeswalker Control

Yea so far, plasm capture I'll replace for mana drain. And I need a crypt probably take out a wipe. And need to complete fetches and duals :(. I'm just sitting on sealed 5cmdr decks and ftv20 , I'll trade one day for them lol. Or hope for a reprint of the fetches. I spent too much on asian foils. -_- Why the fuck did I do that haha. And they were a bitch and a half to get lol. Esp korean . christ.

Thread Information