Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A comeback for Stifle?

A comeback for Stifle?

With the rise in popularity of Stoneforge Everything and Hive Mind, Stifle seems like it is increasingly useful. It was once a staple of U/x tempo builds to stop fetchlands and disrupt tons of other random effects, but it seems to have faded away in the latest iterations of those decks. However, I'm starting to think more and more about trying it out in a more old-school Threshold build sporting heavy cheap disruption. Anyone else think it may be time to reexamine Stifle?

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Re: A comeback for Stifle?

It was never bad. But it is definitely even better than before with the decks running around these days.

Nov 2006
    London

Yes, Pacts are good targets, but they mostly filled a void left by Storm. Mental Misstep is still the bane of Stifle everywhere.

Almost every card and strategy in Legacy waxes and wanes in popularity and usefulness. Stifle certainly isn't bereft of targets these days. It might not always get the 1st turn fetch but there are still lots of other excellent targets.

I'm also a believer. Stifle, especially, is a card that falls in and out of favor.
    I'm loving it. If you might love it too, give it a shot.

Unfortunately, it doesn't stop pacts and Emrakul. :)

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    Unfortunately, it doesn't stop pacts and Emrakul. :)
    It stops the "you lose the game" trigger from Pacts, and also stop the Annihilator from Emrakul. May not be the best thing ever, since you take 15 damage, but a turn with your permanents is better than one without them.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Jun 2008
    Central NY

It's been performing pretty well lately I would say, at least in Team America.

A buddy of mine just took 5th last month at Jupiter's NELC Qualifier after starting 5-0 and drawing the last two rounds:

http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...8&iddeck=47359

Then there's GerryT winning the last SCG open:

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckd...p?DeckID=39910

I'd say the Stifle/Waste package is still pretty good.
    Last edited by RogueMTG; 08-02-2011 at 01:29 PM.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    It stops the "you lose the game" trigger from Pacts, and also stop the Annihilator from Emrakul. May not be the best thing ever, since you take 15 damage, but a turn with your permanents is better than one without them.
    not sure you can stifle something with protection from colored spells?

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    The trigger is separate from Emrakul.
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    You aren't using Stifle on Emrakul itself, but on the annihilator trigger. That ability goes on the stack and does not have protection from anything. Same goes for Goblin Piledriver. You can stifle its +2/+0 for each other attacking goblin ability, even though the creature itself is pro blue. Stifle is not targetting these permanents, it is simply targetting their abilities.
    I see more than others do because I know where to look.

Apr 2011
    Århus, Denmark

Stifle + Wasteland + Daze.dec is probably my favorite thing to do, but I haven't found a home for it yet, post Misstep. It's not neccesarily because MM counters Stifle, though that might play a part. I think another, significant reason is that it's just hard to put all these awesome tempo cards in one deck, while still having room for threats, mana sources, etc. I mean, I would sometimes run Stifle in Merfolk before MM, but now? With Force, Daze, MM and vial, on top of about 21 lands and the 20 core merfolk, and really at least a couple of extra creatures like Kira or Sower, I just can't find room.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    Yes, Pacts are good targets, but they mostly filled a void left by Storm. Mental Misstep is still the bane of Stifle everywhere.
    If I'm on the play and they crack a fetch on their turn, I'll gladly let them lose 3 life and 2 cards to get their first land.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowPenguin View Post
    Stifle + Wasteland + Daze.dec is probably my favorite thing to do, but I haven't found a home for it yet, post Misstep. It's not neccesarily because MM counters Stifle, though that might play a part. I think another, significant reason is that it's just hard to put all these awesome tempo cards in one deck, while still having room for threats, mana sources, etc. I mean, I would sometimes run Stifle in Merfolk before MM, but now? With Force, Daze, MM and vial, on top of about 21 lands and the 20 core merfolk, and really at least a couple of extra creatures like Kira or Sower, I just can't find room.
    Try a new build of New Horizons.
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    You aren't using Stifle on Emrakul itself, but on the annihilator trigger. That ability goes on the stack and does not have protection from anything. Same goes for Goblin Piledriver. You can stifle its +2/+0 for each other attacking goblin ability, even though the creature itself is pro blue. Stifle is not targetting these permanents, it is simply targetting their abilities.
    ah, thanks for the clarification. that makes sense - it targets the stack, not what generated the trigger.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    If I'm on the play and they crack a fetch on their turn, I'll gladly let them lose 3 life and 2 cards to get their first land.
    How are they losing two cards?

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by Jak View Post
    Mental Misstep.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Jak View Post
    I don't see it either. Misstep is only 1 card and the fetch is equivalent to a land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

It matters because then they don't have that misstep for more relevant things. Like nimble mongoose or what have you. And people forget that tempo decks now run mental misstep as a 3-4 of, usually 4 of. So if they misstep stifle it is perfectly fine to misstep their misstep. Or DAZE their misstep for that matter, daze is criminally underplayed right now especially since it's also good against hive mind same as how stifle is good against hive mind. I like stifle right now. In fact, stifle is usually good regardless of what the meta looks like because it's a one mana instant speed sinkhole that doesn't let them tap the land for mana. I expect to see more stifles getting played hell even GerryT ran it and most pro's don't like the card for some odd reason.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Stifle has always annoyed me in the fact that it targets the ability. It just seems like you should be able to hit a Standstill's ability somehow, though you can't. Grrrrr. lol

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    Stifle has always annoyed me in the fact that it targets the ability. It just seems like you should be able to hit a Standstill's ability somehow, though you can't. Grrrrr. lol
    You can counter Standstill all you like with Stifle. However, doing so just triggers Standstill's ability again.

Thread Information