View Poll Results: Are there too many different combo decks in Legacy?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 15.66%
  • No

140 84.34%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are there too many different combo decks in Legacy?

Re: Are there too many different combo decks in Legacy?

Chalice, Trinisphere, and Counterbalance are all a lot scarier than Force of Will for a combo player. The best tools a blue mage has against combo are Counterbalance, Brainstorm, and Sensei's Divining Top followed very closely by a fast clock.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

What's funny is I think I'm actually on the right track to handling both the aggro and combo. That Caw Blade deck I am playing around with has main deck counterspells, Forces, and the Sword to provide some discard. It's not bad against combo, though Spell pierces and Canonist out of the board shore it up some. Moat in the main is obviously dumb for aggro so I am not losing much by being better against combo. It's a fairly fast control deck so it feels like playing fish. It seems to be a mid-ground in all this that actually works.

We have a heavy top tier deck meta around here. TES, Ant, Merfolk, Junk, Goblins, Dredge, Dreadstill, Team America, and even 2 people have 43 lands put together. It's a pretty good test format for what I play around with. We'd have an SI player if he'd ever play. : P (Yeah Dan, I know you read this stuff)

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

The big issue here, as already somewhat enumerated, is that the metagame is unfriendly toward decks that are good against combo. Counterbalance isn't particularly viable right now, as has already been stated. The decks that REALLY take a shit on combo, such as Team America, Tempo Threshold, Dragon Stompy, and Dreadstill, simply aren't good against a meta with both a heavy vial aggro presence, and lots of G/x bigdudes.dec. Once people realize that playing aggro is bad in this meta, those decks will be good again and combo will retreat. For now though, it's an amazing time to be a combo player ;).

Also: In B4 somebody suggests a ban on LED, Time Spiral, or any associated card.

EDIT: I find it hilarious that there's actually a thread complaining about the diversity of the format. Go out and enjoy the 43957987 different available decks...
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    The big issue here, as already somewhat enumerated, is that the metagame is unfriendly toward decks that are good against combo. Counterbalance isn't particularly viable right now, as has already been stated. The decks that REALLY take a shit on combo, such as Team America, Tempo Threshold, Dragon Stompy, and Dreadstill, simply aren't good against a meta with both a heavy vial aggro presence, and lots of G/x bigdudes.dec. Once people realize that playing aggro is bad in this meta, those decks will be good again and combo will retreat. For now though, it's an amazing time to be a combo player ;).

Also: In B4 somebody suggests a ban on LED, Time Spiral, or any associated card.
    I think part of the problem is that the decks that are cheapest to build are vial aggro decks and G/x decks. It's not really an issue of people realizing these decks are bad and not playing them, because they are the go-to Legacy decks for a very large number of people who either can't afford or are unwilling to spend the money on other decks. As long as these decks remain popular, the decks you mentioned will remain unviable, and the combo issue will persist. Add to this the very wide range of combo decks making it near impossible to sideboard against all of them, and we end up with the current predicament.

I don't think banning anything will ever solve this problem, as it seems to be a result of the rising prices of staple cards, and it will only get worse unless some key staples are made more available or viable alternatives (or just better hate cards in general) are printed.

EDIT: I find it hilarious that there's actually a thread complaining about the diversity of the format. Go out and enjoy the 43957987 different available decks...
    That's just the thing. The format only really gives the appearance of diversity, when in reality it's just a slurry of midrange-aggro and combo decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Quote Originally Posted by SlopeeJ View Post
    What else are they suppose to rely on? What hard counter do you suggest that is playable in those decks?

The way high tide is performing is pretty scary. Force of will, mass mana/card draw and tutor for win conditions seems pretty strong
    That's my point, there's nothing else to rely on because Spell Snare is awful vs Aeither Vial and Green Sun's Zenith and Spell Pierce is amazing vs Aether Vial and Green Sun's Zenith, so aggro-control has to play the sub-optimal counter MD and must play MD or SB cards that "shore up" the deck vs combo - Vendilion Clique, Meddling Mage and Enlightened Tutor and Co. respectively. Ux.dec actually has to respect Storm combo and SB for it now because they can't "lulz, Counterbalance!" they're way to a favorable match up (tho' I think they've still got a favorable match up once Enlightened Tutor is boarded in).

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    That's just the thing. The format only really gives the appearance of diversity, when in reality it's just a slurry of midrange-aggro and combo decks.
    You're overgeneralizing to a fault. Yes, there are combo decks present, but each is unique; Painter, Cephalid, Dredge, Storm, High Tide, etc all play differently from each other. It isn't like everyone is just playing TES, TES, TES, TES, TES at every SCG Open.

Mid-range aggro? There are dozens of competitive mid-range aggro decks, across all colors, that use a variety of methods to win the game. It isn't a case where every tourney is Junk, Junk, Junk, Junk, Junk.

You make it sound as though there's a couple combo decks and a couple mid-range aggro decks, and they are all interchangable with each other within their archetype. You couldn't be more wrong.

Dec 2003
    Seattle

"There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers."

This is the natural evolution of Legacy. The consistency of the SCG circuit has created a critical mass where we are now seeing a developed and mature format with a diverse array of combo decks. It makes perfect sense when you think about it. When you have a format with this many different types of threats coming from both Aggro and Combo why would you try and answer them all by playing Control, because you can't.

That being said, I think the trend is going so far toward Combo that a UW CounterThopter deck should do well in the near future. I have played CounterTop decks for a long time and I"m reluctant to do so even now simply because of the diversity of threats. Why grind out games all day long where you have to earn every win when you could be doing something broken that gets free wins? If you can't beat em, join em.

Another thing to take note of is the emergence of multiple resilient combo decks with Force of Will. This is the most powerful strategy in the game, which is compounded when you have more then one Force of Will Combo deck. Necro, Trix, High Tide (the original), Academy, and more recently Reanimator and Flash are all examples of this truism. For anyone interested in reading about this theory check out articles by zvi mowshowitz.

Also note that the two new kids on the block, Spiral Tide & Painted Stone, both have tutors that work formerly were not heavily played, but work uniquely with there strategy to the point of being almost broken: Merchant Scroll & Intuition.

Legacy is very resilient. The metagame will adapt and we should see more balance in the coming months. However, I do believe that the format has matured to the point where combo is here to stay as a much larger metagame force then it has been in the past.
    Calls for banning are almost always the scrubs way out. Real men view a challenge as something to overcome, a puzzle to solve, an opportunity to be had, and the source of evolution.

Feb 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    You're overgeneralizing to a fault. Yes, there are combo decks present, but each is unique; Painter, Cephalid, Dredge, Storm, High Tide, etc all play differently from each other. It isn't like everyone is just playing TES, TES, TES, TES, TES at every SCG Open.

Mid-range aggro? There are dozens of competitive mid-range aggro decks, across all colors, that use a variety of methods to win the game. It isn't a case where every tourney is Junk, Junk, Junk, Junk, Junk.

You make it sound as though there's a couple combo decks and a couple mid-range aggro decks, and they are all interchangable with each other within their archetype. You couldn't be more wrong.
    Just because Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors doesn't mean it's a good idea to eat nothing but ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by SMR0079 View Post
    "There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers."
    This. We have reached a critical mass of combo decks, and at this point, most of the answers you pack will be the wrong ones.
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

I think part of the problem is that the decks that are cheapest to build are vial aggro decks and G/x decks. It's not really an issue of people realizing these decks are bad and not playing them, because they are the go-to Legacy decks for a very large number of people who either can't afford or are unwilling to spend the money on other decks. As long as these decks remain popular, the decks you mentioned will remain unviable, and the combo issue will persist. Add to this the very wide range of combo decks making it near impossible to sideboard against all of them, and we end up with the current predicament.

I don't think banning anything will ever solve this problem, as it seems to be a result of the rising prices of staple cards, and it will only get worse unless some key staples are made more available or viable alternatives (or just better hate cards in general) are printed.

A BUNCH of different midrange, aggro, and combo decks is a hell of a lot better than "Goblins, Merfolk, Zoo, CB, maybe TES" like it was a few months ago. Keep in mind that like 30 different decks have made top 8 at the last half dozen 5ks.

Quote Originally Posted by SMR0079 View Post

Legacy is very resilient. The metagame will adapt and we should see more balance in the coming months. However, I do believe that the format has matured to the point where combo is here to stay as a much larger metagame force then it has been in the past.
    QFT. I personally enjoy it, especially (and ironically) since this development flies in the face of WOTC's "policy" on combo (there's an Aaron Forsythe quote out there somewhere about how it should show up and win once in a while, but never be an established pillar of the metagame). Combo as a pillar of the metagame is something that hasn't existed since the banning of Mystical Tutor. I believe it should be an important force though, as this is an eternal format, and people like playing with powerful and complex strategies. Perhaps once the format settles a little (if it ever does) we'll see the return of dedicated control strategies to complete things.

You've missed the point entirely. Just because Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors of ice cream doesn't mean it's a good idea to eat nothing but ice cream.
    We get it, you hate combo decks. Seriously, enough is enough.
    Last edited by Admiral_Arzar; 04-05-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Avoid double post.
    Lord of the Chalice

Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Feb 2009

We get it, you hate combo decks. Seriously, enough is enough.
    Wow, anger problems much? I haven't said anywhere that I hate combo decks. I just think there are too many for the format to handle. When you've got ~10 different combo decks that are all making top 8 appearances, while G/x midrange decks are the only ones showing up with consistency, there's a problem. Control is nowhere in sight, and Vial Aggro has been thoroughly pushed into the lower tiers, placing occasionally but not with much regularity.

You may enjoy a metagame like that, but I don't think it's healthy.

Is too much viable combo choices really a problem when you look at the overall scope of the Legacy metagame? There is a format outside of the big SCG events.

I mean, the "overall" picture worldwide for both big and small tournaments for March was this:

http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/met...y&fecha=2011-3

Seems fine. CBTop builds underperforming as the 4c builds can't adapt to both an uptick in vial aggro and Knight of the Reliquary beatdown decks.

I'd love to see the metagame breakdown for these events (Glenn Jones at SCG will eventually post them). One thing that jumps out at me is why the storm combo decks aren't doing better. They should be beating the other combo decks on speed and should definitely be beating the vial aggro (yes, even Merfolk), Dredge, and G/x beatdown decks. I wonder if there's a coming metagame shift for the SCG tourneys where some combo decks (in particular Storm and High Tide) make other combo decks less appealing, and then the SB hate from the fair decks can compensate to focus on those decks and hope to dodge the less played ones.

Feb 2009

Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    Is too much viable combo choices really a problem when you look at the overall scope of the Legacy metagame? There is a format outside of the big SCG events.
    It depends on whether the format is able to regulate itself. The last few times combo has risen to the top, things just never cleared up for some reason. As of right now, I think there's a red flag waving that it could get out of hand if an answer isn't found, but I don't think we're in danger of the format suddenly exploding in a frenzy of combo on combo action.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Guys, it's combo's time for now. Watch in 2 more SCG events, Countertop lists flood the Top8, then we bitch about Countertop for another month, then Vial decks come in and we bitch to ban Vial and Merfolks, then Zoo and GWx decks come in again.

The format is great right now. 1-2 tourneys don't tell you much about a metagame that's still fluctuating. It's not like Survival where we said "It's just 2 tournaments", and turned out to "It's just 10 tournaments", "It's just 50 tournaments", "Fuck, this is broken".
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

CB/Top is also a combo, and one of the most boring ones in the game. At least now we don't have to wait 10 turns and a million shuffle effects for Jace to show up and get it over with.
    Needs more goyfs.

Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by ddt15 View Post
    CB/Top is also a combo, and one of the most boring ones in the game. At least now we don't have to wait 10 turns and a million shuffle effects for Jace to show up and get it over with.
    Although it's a combo in the literal sense, CBTop is not "combo" in the same sense that AnT, TES, Belcher, Cephalid, Dredge, etc are. CBTop has synergy and interacts well with each other, but the same can be said of Brainstorm + fetchland, Stoneforge + equipment, etc.

Wow, anger problems much? I haven't said anywhere that I hate combo decks. I just think there are too many for the format to handle. When you've got ~10 different combo decks that are all making top 8 appearances, while G/x midrange decks are the only ones showing up with consistency, there's a problem. Control is nowhere in sight, and Vial Aggro has been thoroughly pushed into the lower tiers, placing occasionally but not with much regularity.

Control hasn't existed in Legacy since '07, and frankly fuck control, it's about as masterabotry as Storm combo except the decision trees are drastically simpler - at least aggro-control has the decency to interact by turning creatures sideways. Seriously, we've got Storm in Dark Ritual and Island variants, aggro-control in Ugw, Merfolk being it's usual metagame vs island.dec and G/w as the glass cannon vs Ugw and Merfolk with Counterbalance, Goblins and a ton of other tier 1.5 decks bringing up the rear. That's a decent metagame by any standard, because the glass cannon's are well positioned to move in and out of the metagame.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Wait until I unveil my Saproling Cluster + Ashnod's Altar + Fecundity + Goblin Bombardment combo, then you'll be sorry!
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Feb 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    Control hasn't existed in Legacy since '07, and frankly fuck control, it's about as masterabotry as Storm combo except the decision trees are drastically simpler - at least aggro-control has the decency to interact by turning creatures sideways. Seriously, we've got Storm in Dark Ritual and Island variants, aggro-control in Ugw, Merfolk being it's usual metagame vs island.dec and G/w as the glass cannon vs Ugw and Merfolk with Counterbalance, Goblins and a ton of other tier 1.5 decks bringing up the rear. That's a decent metagame by any standard, because the glass cannon's are well positioned to move in and out of the metagame.
    Except you're missing Dredge, Cephalid Breakfast, Elves, Painter, Belcher, and Burn (which is basically a combo deck) which are all also making Top8 appearances with some consistency right now.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Not anger problems. More like "exasperation," because these threads pop up every time combo comes out of its little corner and wins for a while. I'm not sure where you got the impression that the only non-combo decks making top eight appearances are G/x. Dozens of different decks have made T8 at 5ks recently, and unless I'm wrong there's no more than ten or so combo strategies among those. Sure, vial aggro and zoo aren't putting up the numbers they were, but they're also not massive chunks of tournaments as they were a few months ago. There is actual variety in deck choice, which makes things interesting. Of course, this also makes it difficult for aggro decks to sideboard enough hate to hate out all the different combo strategies. You may not think this meta is healthy, but I'm pretty happy that it isn't the Vial/Zoo/CB wankfest that we had right after the banning of Survival.

Except you're missing Dredge, Cephalid Breakfast, Elves, Painter, Belcher, and Burn (which is basically a combo deck) which are all also making Top8 appearances with some consistency right now.
    Wait, Burn is a combo deck? Seriously, what screwed-up plane of existence are you living in right now? And Burn is taking advantage of the lack of CB. It's functionally an aggro deck that uses the stack, and so resists removal rather well, but is a dog to CB/Chalice.
    Last edited by Admiral_Arzar; 04-05-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Avoid double post.
    Lord of the Chalice

Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Wait, Burn is a combo deck? Seriously, what screwed-up plane of existence are you living in right now? And Burn is taking advantage of the lack of CB. It's functionally an aggro deck that uses the stack, and so resists removal rather well, but is a dog to CB/Chalice.
    Burn is essentially a combo deck. A pseudo-combo deck, but far closer to combo than a functional aggro deck. Burn goldfishes for turn 4 wins, uses the stack for non-creature spells, blanks opposing creature removal, but is fragile to CotV/CBTop... sounds like a combo deck to me.

Thread Information