Thread: Places to see in New York, Providence, DC, Philly?

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Places to see in New York, Providence, DC, Philly?

Hey guys.

Since I'm going to the East Coast to play Legacy, I figured I'd also make a trip out of it. For those of you that live or have been to the East Coast, where are the places to go?

What sights should I see? What restaurants should I go to? What places should I avoid?

Anything will help. Museums are good, food is good, landmarks are good.

-Matt

BZK Powertool

Jul 2009
    Glens Falls, NY

Re: Places to see in New York, Providence, DC, Philly?

Philly has some awesome museums. I can't specifically remember the names of the ones that I really like (i'll check it out after my next class), and teh city itself has a ton of history. For food: Cheese steaks. Pat's, Geno's, Tony Luke's. All of them are excellent. Liberty bell, congress hall. all sorts of landmarks thanks to its history
    Will says I'm in BZK. I don't know what is going on.

Has anyone seen my pants?
    Aug 2009
    Towanda, PA

I'm originally from Long Island, so I'd say if you have a day to kill, drive out to Montauk Point. Any of the beaches on the south shore of LI are great this time of year. It's a bit chilly, not crowded with tourists, and just peaceful. I'm in North East PA now, and again, just traveling around and seeing nature is nice. The Poconos have some great views but since it's not quite 'real' spring yet, it's just going to look dead.

If you've never been, go to NYC and just walk. There are landmarks on practically every corner. Museums, tourist attractions, etc... It's just a great place.
    Skizzik No Kicker. Like a true retard.

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenC View Post
    Honestly, I wonder if I just decided to play the format with the most whiney players or if every format is like this.

I live in the DC Metro area. The best place to sightsee is around the Mall, you have pretty much all the monuments and the Smithsonian there. Although if you wanna go to the National Zoo, you have to take the metro to Adams Morgan. The Smithsonian and Zoo are all free btw.

Other than that, I don't actually know much about what's in DC since I don't usually hang out there. I live in Bethesda, so I know some good restaurants and bars here (that's pretty much all there is in downtown Bethesda).

If you go to Philadelphia, you should try Ishkabibble's. I remember Cedric Phillips recommended it to me at an SCG Open in Philly and it's pretty good.
    ゆっくりしていってね!!!

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

First, everything in NY is EXPENSIVE. Be prepared.

I'll 2nd Montauk. It's nice - even just to go to the beach and the lighthouse. You can stop in the Hamptons on the way there.

However, NYC "stuff" will give you a broader experience. Try to see all of these things while at NYC: Grand Central Station, The Bronx Zoo, Botanical Gardens, the insane traffic, The Museum of Natural History, a broadway show, Times Square, NYC shopping, NYC pizza places (I'm a pizza snob - if it's not down-state NY pizza, then it ain't pizza).

I'm not sure that Philly has anything but those stairs you can run up and pretend you're Rocky.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Fire and Ice just outside the Providence Place Mall is amazing for food. Also, the mall has a Dave and Buster's.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Places to see in New York, Providence, DC, Philly?
    If these are your choices, go to NYC. Doesn't seem like a fair fight between the alternatives if you haven't been there before. It is really fucking expensive though. Just be prepared for that.

It's good to have a plan though, even if it's a fairly crude one. Proper pizza and italian ice should be on that list. And the Museum of Natural History (or Museum of Modern Art) is a good thing to build a day around if you have nothing else specific you really want to see.

Aug 2009
    Towanda, PA

for comparison sake: A whopper meal at burger here is like $5.99, in NYC, its like $8.99. A sit down meal in NYC is $30+ per person, and im talking like TGIFridays or Applebees, of course you can find places where it'll reach $100+ a person, but it's worth it.

If you want to eat cheap in NYC, hit up the street vendors. The only thing that beats real pizza in my opinion, is a street dog.

...now I'm hungry...

I personally don't think Philly has anything that NYC doesn't already have, and better. Like Bardo said, nothing can compare to the experience of just walking around NYC for a few days.

Honestly, I wonder if I just decided to play the format with the most whiney players or if every format is like this.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I plan on seeing them all. Basically, I have 4-5 days to go from NY to Providence before the tournament, or after.

-Matt

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tivon View Post
    Philly has some awesome museums. I can't specifically remember the names of the ones that I really like (i'll check it out after my next class), and teh city itself has a ton of history. For food: Cheese steaks. Pat's, Geno's, Tony Luke's. All of them are excellent. Liberty bell, congress hall. all sorts of landmarks thanks to its history

Pat's and Geno's are tourist attractions.
    While you're there, if you want to taste some great local flavor, Trenton, NJ isn't that far away from Philly. Get a tomato pie at Top Road Tavern and some kielbasa and pork roll from the farmer's market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten View Post
    I'm not sure that Philly has anything but those stairs you can run up and pretend you're Rocky.
    Unless you're willing to risk getting shot/robbed in West Philly to get a real cheesesteak, this man basically speaks the truth. I love Philly, but it's kind of boring for people who didn't grow up going there at least once a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Nov 2003
    Albany

If you have spare cash laying around, and from your beta duals i assume you do, get a reservation at le bernadin in NYC.

You'll thank me later.

Aug 2009
    Towanda, PA

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I plan on seeing them all. Basically, I have 4-5 days to go from NY to Providence before the tournament, or after.

-Matt
    you could easily spend 3 days in NYC and not see everything, none-the-less enjoy the things you do see. It's really easy to just sit in Battery Park and lose yourself. There are so many oddities to be found in the shops surrounding Times Square. Street Artists. Architecture. People(it's great to just randomly stop somebody who doesn't look like they're in a hurry and start a conversation.) If you do go to the Bronx Zoo, try not to kill a panda.

Dying to my own cards

Apr 2011
    Ft Bragg

I know you didn't mention Baltimore but it's between Philly and DC. The Baltimore Aquarium is one of the best in the world. Seriously.
    If you like baseball Camden Yards is a really nice stadium, even thought the Orioles suck and it's walking distance from the Aquarium.
    I haven't been to Baltimore in years but I remember the whoe Chesapeake Bay area being really interesting.

I think the people that named Philly "The city of brotherly love" had the same intent as the folks who named Greenland and Iceland: trick people into going someplace shitty so they don't crowd the nice places. I was stationed at Ft. Dix, which is about 45 minutes from Philly, for a while and never had pleasant experiences in Philly. Real Philly cheesesteaks, with cheese wiz..., from places like Geno's are kind of like Cincinnatti chili, if you're not from the area you'll probably be disapointed and not really care for it all that much.

The word is "Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa!"
    Sep 2007

What does the bar scene look like in Providence? If we go, we might go out Saturday night if we don't day two, or Sunday night.
    "Attack with Order of the Ebon Hand."
    "K, block with Jotun Grunt?"
    "It has pro white."
    "Swords?"
    "It still has pro white."

Team OMRIAIGTWYFEWARTCAE Team RTD
    Twitter: @shawnldewey

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I don't want to go drinking in case I make day 2. Obviously if I don't scrub out, then I'm guessing we could head on over to somewhere.

-Matt

Thread Information