Page 580 of 645 FirstFirst ... 80480530570576577578579580581582583584590630 ... LastLast
Results 11,581 to 11,600 of 12895

Thread: Miracle Control

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Re: [DTB] Miracle Control

Quote Originally Posted by Gros View Post
    Would you please explain a little deeper your reasoning? i'm honestly interested.
    Btw do you guys usually board in Flusterstorm vs. grixis pyromancer decks without stifles?
    i thought if they don't have them i would board in 2Vendilion, 2 rebs, 1 Wear/Tear 1 EE
    and out 4 FoWs 1 Jace 1 Counterspell
    is it right to keep in CJ in your opinion?
    If a deck is playing Stifle it's a loud indication they're playing a tempo strategy (couple of exceptions, but usually this is true) and as such they will have more situationally low impact cards like Spell Pierce, Stifle itself depreciates value fast too. They're trying to keep you in this early game just long enough to get you dead. FoW is the best card Miracles has to fight this, from my experience the card disadvantage matters very little since the cards in our deck scale so well and the disadvantage is regained by sheer power, or blanking those pierces etc after you've reached a comfortable part of the game.

VS Delver with Hymn I would take out all Forces since the game will go slower and the card disadvantage matters, and vs Grixis or other builds in the middle of Hymn and Stifle I like keeping two usually. It'll depend on how the opponent played in game one too though, I don't like such hard and fast rules for sideboarding. If I can tell the player is very aggressive I'd keep in all four etc. If they've shown a lot of respect for Terminus in game one by not overextending, I'd maybe go down to one.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

www.twitch.tv/ClericOfCool

Doing a few matches, silent, between lectures.
    Still playing the ALL-greed list with 4 snapcaster, 2 jace, 0 other win cards md.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    www.twitch.tv/ClericOfCool

Doing a few matches, silent, between lectures.
    Still playing the ALL-greed list with 4 snapcaster, 2 jace, 0 other win cards md.
    I did something similar at mys LGS last night.

4 Snapcaster, 2 Entreat, 4 Predict, 2 CB most notably. I really enjoy playing this kind of build, it felt good!
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    I did something similar at mys LGS last night.

4 Snapcaster, 2 Entreat, 4 Predict, 2 CB most notably. I really enjoy playing this kind of build, it felt good!
    This is the list I'm playing (and have been playing for a while)

9 fetches
    4 island, 1 plains, 1 mountain
    5 duals

4 ponder/top/bs
    3 predict
    4 snap
    2 jace
    3 cb/2 cs/ 1 snare/4 fow
    8 white removal/1 ee

sb:
    2 eta/2 clique/1 priest
    4 blasts/2 fluster
    1 fta, 2 surgical
    1 w//t

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Cool, what I played was

4 Snapcaster Mage

4 Sensei’s Divining Top
    2 Counterbalance

4 Ponder
    4 Terminus
    2 Entreat the Angels

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Predict
    1 Spell Snare
    1 Counterspell
    1 Wear//Tear
    1 Councils Judgement

4 Island
    2 Plains
    3 Tundra
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand

SB:

3 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Back to Basics
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Keranos, God of Storms
    1 Wear//Tear
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Kozilek's Return

I would play a mountain with B2B, but I don't own Tarns...didn't think I was going to be able to play so just had random bits and pieces for the SB with me.

I also had a Flame Jab in the deck as a few friends and myself opened an EMA pack and we had to play with one card from it as our 61st card. It countered a Chancellor trigger vs Dredge!

So, suboptimal manabase and bad SB aside, I think the maindeck bar the W//T and CJ feels really strong, but it's definitely suited to a certain playstyle.

A few random questions:

1) Containment Priest and Vendillion Clique
    When is a good time to flash these creatures in against Show and tell/Omnishow. Would you flash the priest in as early as turn 2 or would you cast it in response to him casting show/sneak to make him waste the card? Same applies to clique.

2) Predict
    Would you guys EOT predict without knowing the top card just as a draw one or will you keep in hand till you know the top card before you cast it. Let's presume there is no immediate pressure on the board.

3) Painter Stone
    Playing Cadei's list. How will you guys board against it?

Thanks in advance!

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by mike1987 View Post
    A few random questions:

1) Containment Priest and Vendillion Clique
    When is a good time to flash these creatures in against Show and tell/Omnishow. Would you flash the priest in as early as turn 2 or would you cast it in response to him casting show/sneak to make him waste the card? Same applies to clique.

2) Predict
    Would you guys EOT predict without knowing the top card just as a draw one or will you keep in hand till you know the top card before you cast it. Let's presume there is no immediate pressure on the board.

3) Painter Stone
    Playing Cadei's list. How will you guys board against it?

Thanks in advance!
    1) It's so context dependent that there isn't a straight answer to this. If your hand is strong then I'd play them aggressively to get a clock going (assuming you don't have one already). If you have a weak hand then they can get more value if played in response to a SnT or Sneak Attack, you might need to shoot for this angle to win the game.

2) Again, very context dependent. If you're under a lot of pressure and you have a window to cycle it, go for it. Otherwise I'd hold onto them to get full value from the card.

3) I'm interested in this myself, so look forward to answers from others!

Quote Originally Posted by mike1987 View Post
    2) Predict
    I do not cast Predict without knowing the top card unless I feel like I will die in the turn after the next.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Do you think it's worth aggressively playing out Priest (i.e. on their EOT whenever you get the first opportunity)? I feel like one of two (or three) things can happen:

1. They FoW it and we're okay with that since that means one less FoW for their business spell (unless they have Boseiju in which case I would wait to flash it in until I had at least one way of making sure it resolved)

2. They let it resolve and now they have to find a way to remove it before they can go off, so we sorta tempo'd them

3. They let it resolve and go for the Omniscience kill. In this case we were going to lose, anyway, unless we also have a Clique in hand
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

twitch.tv/ClericOfCool

Back to casting snapcasters and chaining predicts.

I looked back a few pages but didn't find any discussion of this, so forgive me if it's already been talked about and I missed it.

Is Escalating Alliances a viable option for combating TNN/Marit Lage tokens? It's non-targeted, and you can use it for lifegain if you don't need the sacrifice effect. Or is it simply not worth it when Terminus is around? It's about as close to a "white edict" as I think we'll see, and it has some corner case upsides.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    I looked back a few pages but didn't find any discussion of this, so forgive me if it's already been talked about and I missed it.

Is Escalating Alliances a viable option for combating TNN/Marit Lage tokens? It's non-targeted, and you can use it for lifegain if you don't need the sacrifice effect. Or is it simply not worth it when Terminus is around? It's about as close to a "white edict" as I think we'll see, and it has some corner case upsides.
    Blessed Alliance.

Does it kill a never-attacking DRS? Does it kill a never-attacking Prelate/Leovold? There is this card called Wing Shards.

May 2016
    Portland, OR

To actually answer the question about Blessed Alliance, it basically has two modes. In modern, the life gain is often an important effect and something white decks want in the sideboard, and the sac an attacker mode makes it a better all around option than a better life gain spell (like Rest for the Weary). In legacy, burn and similar decks are highly represented, so lifegain isn't a sought after or necessary sideboard effect, making Blessed Alliance mostly a bad removal spell.

Just to clarify why Blessed Alliance isn't necessary at all - you already have 8 pieces of removal that deals with Marit Lage in 4 STPs and 4 Terminus. True Name Nemesis is certainly more threatening preboard than post since you're looking for exactly Terminus/CJ/EE. Postboard, you should have access to 3/4 REBs which answer basically every threatening card that TNN builds can throw at you. Plus Terminuses. You can grind these types of decks right down. So narrow cards like Blessed Alliance are just unneeded since obviously REBs are a whole lot more flexible across the field.
    "Take your time."

Legacy: UWR Miracles
    Vintage: UW Landstill

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it!

Mar 2013
    Bern (Switzerland)

Hei People

I played this Weekeend two 35 Man Tournaments:)
    Played like always Cadei's Main board and 3 Pyro and 1 Reb side:)

First Tournament: 35 Player
    2:0 Bug Delver
    1:1 Bug Aluren Draw would win this in the next few turns with Jace but he didn't concede after i ask him (he takes to much time for some decisions)..
    2:0 Maverick
    1:1 Back To Basic Miracle Again here after 10 minutes i have the double cb and top lock on but here again he want to play 20 minutes more instead of conceding G1... G2 did mull to 4.. He won a close game before the extra turns beginn. Of course he had 3 more cards and more pressure..Again here i should win the Match instead of drawing..
    2:0 Grixis Delver
    1:2 Shardless BUG g1 he win g2 i win and g3 again mull to 5 and then he had the double hymn...

Sadly first time no top 8 with this List but really bad luck..

Second Tournament 36 player

2:1 Grixis Controll
    2:0 Maverick Creature Toolbox Random Deck
    2:0 Grixis Controll
    2:0 Grixis Delver with Stifle

ID
    ID

Then top 8 was incredible against Dredge..
    1:2 lose..
    G1 i played 3 Terminus but he still have a lot pressure..
    G2 He had the Nuts hand.. Unmask taking my fluster.. in rsp i played the BS for Contaiment priest.. i play him t2 and he had the flow.. and in his turn he going lethal for the turn after he dredge with loothing and led.. I have now 2 Tundra and i fetch in play.. looking for the Terminus.. just the fetch left and blind flip Terminus in his Turn haha after that lucky flip i win.
    G3 Close one again but misplayed here. At 1 Point i should play mentor and not for terminus because his clock was not that hard.. Mentor is pretty strong against dredge

Anyway Top 8 and i'm happy with it..
    Greets Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Pdingo View Post
    1:1 Bug Aluren Draw would win this in the next few turns with Jace but he didn't concede after i ask him (he takes to much time for some decisions)..
    1:1 Back To Basic Miracle Again here after 10 minutes i have the double cb and top lock on but here again he want to play 20 minutes more instead of conceding G1... G2 did mull to 4.. He won a close game before the extra turns beginn. Of course he had 3 more cards and more pressure..Again here i should win the Match instead of drawing..
    Congrats on the top 8, glad the deck did you well! Would like to make a point on what you've said here with respect to time. Not sure where this conversation will go, BUT - I think its important to understand that at no point are we as Magic players "entitled" to a win. In the first match vs BUG Aluren it is unfortunate that you were going to win and that he didn't concede, but despite this there are probably things that could have been done differently. 2015 Eternal Weekend Legacy Champion Bob Huang once told me something that I think is a very good approach to time while playing this (and any) deck - "Either call a judge or don't complain". In this situation I would like to point out that if you ever feel like your opponent is taking too much time for decisions, give them 1 chance to speed up, then call a judge. A draw is functionally a loss, and losing to time is never ever acceptable. Therefore, it is imperative that you are polite but cutthroat (else you might get DQ'd from your event). On the path to improving as a player, you have to always ask yourself why you lost and what you could do to avoid it the next time. It's impossible to say what could have been, but we can formulate plans for how to potentially avoid the problem the next go-around. In this case, if you had called a judge (as aggressively as necessary), perhaps your opponent would have sped up and allowed you to finish in time. Another example of something you could have done differently is in your second match vs Miracles. The first thing I am curious about is why it took 20 minutes for you to close the game despite being in control - is this something you could provide more insight on? After resolving CB + Top, I imagine the next goal is to just end the game as quickly as possible without losing. Perhaps it is possible you could have shuffled and fetched more aggressively to find the cards that would help you win faster, unless your opponent was taking a lot of time, in which case see the earlier point about calling a judge. The second thing I'd like to point out is that perhaps you should have conceded G2 almost instantly based on how much time was left in the round. Going into this game on 4 cards, you know that you will likely lose if your opponent is as good as you are given that they will maximize their edges and minimize yours. So, if by turn 3 you don't have some absurd draw... perhaps going to Game 3 where you have a fighting chance of winning was the correct line (which I'm not saying it is, but I definitely think in retrospect it is worth considering... especially if you started G2 with like... 20 minutes on the clock remaining). Just some thoughts, again - great job on the top 8!

Rover sux

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post
    Rover sux
    --2015 Eternal Weekend Legacy Champion Bob Huang

Thread Information