Page 592 of 645 FirstFirst ... 92492542582588589590591592593594595596602642 ... LastLast
Results 11,821 to 11,840 of 12895

Thread: Miracle Control

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Re: [DTB] Miracle Control

Here's my current SB:

1x CPriest
    1x Moat
    2x Mentor
    1x RIP
    2x Fstorm
    1x Blood Moon
    3x Pblast
    1x Meddling Mage
    2x W/T
    1x KReturn

If I'm going to a semi-known meta where I can expect at least DnT, Dredge, ANT, Miracles, Elves, and some flavor of Delver (usually Grixis), and I have seen Infect, MUD, and Eldrazi and this store in the past, what should the SB look like?
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

have you seen BoM meta? so heterogeneous

Miracle was less than 10% of the whole market

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    have you seen BoM meta? so heterogeneous

Miracle was less than 10% of the whole market
    European meta always loved BUG decks.
    "Everything is better topless"

that's 4 Abrupt Decay to face every round

Mirran Crusader meta tech!

Also!!! http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/am...-of-the-trials

Survives to Terminus and swings for 4. Blanks fatties like Death's Shadow, Emrakul and Griselbrand.

Eventually he wins the game against everything that can't Decay if you have CTop or CSpells around.

new 3cc toy?
    Last edited by Poron; 04-05-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Apr 2015
    Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    that's 4 Abrupt Decay to face every round

Mirran Crusader meta tech!

Also!!! http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/am...-of-the-trials

Survives to Terminus and swings for 4. Blanks fatties like Death's Shadow, Emrakul and Griselbrand.

Eventually he wins the game against everything that can't Decay if you have CTop or CSpells around.

new 3cc toy?
    The fact that decay destroys it, means it's not the win condition I'd want to run. Mentor and Entreat get around decay by going wide. This just dies.

May 2016
    Portland, OR

I'm not ready to make bold statements on new Gideon, but he certainly warrants at least some discussion. His first ability makes him much better as a defensive option than EtA or Mentor in the general case. His emblem doesn't affect the board and appears mostly useless in the fair matchups, but against many combo decks, it will give them some problems. While a deck like ANT could just decay him before (or after) going for lethal tendrils, more permanents that must be removed before you can lose is a good thing. A few negatives do standout to me. He costs WW, which isn't always free, and is absolute garbage in the mirror. It doesn't do anything I'd want out of a walker there, though I guess most people are removing any card that touches him in the mirror. So is it good? Maybe, possible SB if anything, likely not good enough, certainly worth some discussion.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Thoughts on this list? http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=15174&f=LE

I feel like From the Ashes had been replacing Back to Basics as the non-basic hoser of choice, but apparently, it's far from a consensus opinion.

May 2016
    Portland, OR

The biggest hits against From the Ashes are requiring red mana and costing 4. Also a lot of people don't know it exists (almost always my opponent reads it). FtA can be problematic for those of us that play 2 Volc in matchups were we need other red cards, since basically has to hit one. I prefer FtA since its nearly impossible to have the drew only duals, can't play nonbasic hate problem and fake costs less than 4 when it replaces the lands you tapped with untapped basics.

But mostly I think people are stubborn or unaware card exists.

How do you approach the food chain matchup? I generally have a hard time with it, bringing in the usual 4x rebs, 2 wear/tear, snapcaster, and 2 flusterstorms. I side out swords and leave a small amount of terminus in (Leovold and value dudes are a thing). I play a 3 predict, no mentor, list. Guy at my lgs actually sides in 4x hymns and it's a huge beating. Thoughts? I really don't want to play very narrow cards like cannonist, etc, if it can be helped.

Quote Originally Posted by phg22 View Post
    The biggest hits against From the Ashes are requiring red mana and costing 4. Also a lot of people don't know it exists (almost always my opponent reads it). FtA can be problematic for those of us that play 2 Volc in matchups were we need other red cards, since basically has to hit one. I prefer FtA since its nearly impossible to have the drew only duals, can't play nonbasic hate problem and fake costs less than 4 when it replaces the lands you tapped with untapped basics.

But mostly I think people are stubborn or unaware card exists.
    That Joe Cool Miracles list was mine. I am not stubborn or unaware of From the Ashes existence.
    "Take your time."

Legacy: UWR Miracles
    Vintage: UW Landstill

I'm not a miracles player but a lot of the times I see From the Ashes cast it just feels worse than Ruination. Obviously the upside is when you have a ton of non-basics and get to find basics while your opponent finds nothing, but that rarely happens it seems.

Mar 2014
    London

Hey there! Fancy hearing from Anders Thiesen about how to Sideboard with Miracles? He's kinda good at the deck.....

https://thelibraryatpendrellvale.com...part-4-game-2/

Sib

(ps congrats Anders on your 2nd place!)

I know most decks are going entreat as their win condition in the main now.

I am still undecided whether or not to add mentor in the side. 1st at BOM has it, 2nd at BOM doesnt. Would like your views on having mentor in the sideboard, i know it increases the clock and all and provide an alternative win con, Would like to hear the merits and demerits of the monk.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Been playing 2 Mentors in my SB for like a year and I really like him there. I don't think he's a wincon that's good in all situations unlike ETA which is the best finisher if you're playing a more controlling-style of Miracles. If you want to play a midrange-style of Miracles, the Mentor is better in the MD. But he's definitely worth having in the 75 in any build since he makes unfavorable MUs better.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Been playing 2 Mentors in my SB for like a year and I really like him there. I don't think he's a wincon that's good in all situations unlike ETA which is the best finisher if you're playing a more controlling-style of Miracles. If you want to play a midrange-style of Miracles, the Mentor is better in the MD. But he's definitely worth having in the 75 in any build since he makes unfavorable MUs better.
    Thanks for your reply. I understand one usually board in mentors where u want to be more aggressive against grindier matches, maybe matchups like burn, 12 post, mirror,

But will you board it in against bug decks for eg aluren or food chain? Usually one will remove counterbalance from the sideboard which makes mentor more vulnerable to decay anyway, so why not just grind them out with predict and go off the top with entreat?

What is your opinion of mentor in delver or lands as well?

Thanks.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mike1987 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I understand one usually board in mentors where u want to be more aggressive against grindier matches, maybe matchups like burn, 12 post, mirror,

But will you board it in against bug decks for eg aluren or food chain? Usually one will remove counterbalance from the sideboard which makes mentor more vulnerable to decay anyway, so why not just grind them out with predict and go off the top with entreat?

What is your opinion of mentor in delver or lands as well?

Thanks.
    Mentor is INSANE vs Delver, how will they ever beat him? You suddenly have to fronts they have to fight you, cb as well as mentor.

Mentor is good aluren and 'fine' vs food chain.

Hey
    during the last weeks my local meta changed a lot after several players decided to play food chain. Lists are looking somewhat like this with minor changes in the sideboard, mostly - Hydroblast +some form of discard.

20 LANDS (4 basics)
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Eternal Scourge
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    3 Misthollow Griffin
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Manipulate Fate
    3 Ponder
    4 Food Chain

SIDEBOARD
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Engineered Plague
    2 Hydroblast
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Vendilion Clique

I'm still not sure if it's just a new deck and I'm losing a lot to it because the lack of expirience I bring to the table when it comes to this match up or if my sideboarding ist strictly not on point. Speaking non local the deck is not played that often so I would be interested in any suggestions to sideboard with my board I'm using atm and any suggestions to add some solutions for local tournaments. The meta aside from lots of Foodchain is Miracles, Lands, Drazi, Storm, some Delver and Elves (and sometimes Reanimator or SnT).

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Arid Mesa
    2 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Plains
    5 Island
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Engineered Explosives
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Counterbalance
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Force of Will
    1 Counterspell
    3 Predict
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Ponder
    4 Terminus
    2 Entreat the Angels
    1 Council's Judgment

15 Sideboard
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Wear // Tear
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Flusterstorm
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Mountain
    1 From the Ashes / Moat

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

You'll probably want more W/T but other than that Food Chain seems like slightly unfavorable MU for us. Good thing they play like a bad BUG Midrange deck when they don't have their eponymous enchantment (like Aluren except with less value).

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

I'd be interested in seeing how people board vs Food Chain, if they have tables handy?
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    Mentor is INSANE vs Delver, how will they ever beat him? You suddenly have to fronts they have to fight you, cb as well as mentor.

Mentor is good aluren and 'fine' vs food chain.
    Mentor is much better against delver where they have a hard time killing it, it can act as a terminus (stopping their attacks) and unlike entreat doesn't get hit by fluster/pierce. Mentor comes in against basically any matchup where you just either 1) want more threats. 2) want cheaper threats. 3) need to end the game faster and don't mind tapping out early.

So I do bring it in against basically all flavors of delver decks, BUG deck (delver, food chain, etc), leave it out against spell based combo, and vs midrange/control/prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing how people board vs Food Chain, if they have tables handy?
    Food Chain:
    -4 STP
    -3 CB
    -1 Plains
    -2 FoW
    +4 Blast
    +1 Mountain
    +1 Snap
    +2 W/T
    +2 mentor

This is how I have been boarding against Food Chain, over the few weeks I have been playing cockatrice a lot more, so not the most skilled opponents, but I have played food chain 6 or 7 times and only lost once.

Taking out just 2 FoW probably looks sketchy, but I do this in some matchups where I actually don't want to see FoW till turn 3+ and I usually only ever want to see 1 in a game. Food Chain is this type of deck. Pre-board we have a very hard time answering the cards they play, but post board we actually lots of answers to everything they do without needing FoW.

Thread Information