Thread: [SCD] Vault Skirge

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

[SCD] Vault Skirge

1(Pb) (ehh you know, 1 colorless and one Black Phyrexian mana)
    Artifact Creature

Flying
    Lifelink
    1/1

Ok ok ok so. It's not Wild Nacatl. It's not a Pithing Needle or an Aether Vial. I know this. However, this is what it is;

- a 1-drop that stupid stupid Mental Misstep does not touch
    - a 1-drop with flying and lifelink that every deck can access
    - head and shoulders above one-drops which aren't guys like Lackey or Nacatl and don't demand tribal to be good
    - an insanely good, fast target for good equipment

I get the sense that it's sort of a dude without a deck - I mean, if you're one of those guys who was holding steadfast to Arcbound Worker for some ungodly reason, here's his replacement I suppose - but insofar as unsorted weenie guys go, he's sort of throwing down the gauntlet to challenge all 'non-Tribal' one-drops to be better than him. It probably goes without saying that even if you never equip him with anything, in two turns he pays back his Phyrexian mana cost.

The other obv statement here is that he's an artifact creature which dies to almost every removal spell under the sun, including dumbs like Krosan Grip and basically anything that would hate on a good Affinity creature.

Basically I'd like to throw out this suggestion, that if one is going to be playing some kind of random aggro/control deck and they are playing one-drops that aren't this guy, they need to have a solid reason why not, because he's sort of the best 'generic' and virtually unconditional 1/1 for 1 ever. Srsly.

Re: [SCD] Vault Skirge

This guy is pretty cool with Hatred

Vault Skirge is quite fantastic in Affinity (although dying to burn is not good; still, the ease of casting it and its potential power makes it entirely worth it). I'm not convinced it's all that useful in most other decks, however. You definitely want equipment for it. If you're running equipment, however, then it's a very attractive option.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

Magic; Serious Business
    Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Goaswerfraiejen View Post
    Vault Skirge is quite fantastic in Affinity (although dying to burn is not good; still, the ease of casting it and its potential power makes it entirely worth it). I'm not convinced it's all that useful in most other decks, however. You definitely want equipment for it. If you're running equipment, however, then it's a very attractive option.
    That was my first thought; I can see this + Jitte working out fairly well.

I really like it...excellent with plating. I was thinking something like this:

4 Ancient Den
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Darksteel Citadel
    4 City of Brass
    3 Springleaf Drum
    3 Mox Opal

4 Ornithopter
    4 Vault Skirge
    4 Etched Champion
    4 Signal Pest

4 Path to Exile
    3 Mental Misstep

4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Cranial Plating
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Sword of the Meek
    3 E-tutor
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Thopter Foundry

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Affinity seems like a great place for Vault Skirge, and probably one of the better guys to be a target for Arcbound Ravager and/or Cranial Plating in a long time. That deck is so full of one- and zero-drop guys though; Disicple, Thopter, Memnite, apparently Signal Pest (??) now Vault Skirge? Uber weenie rush deck, ASSEMBLE

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

It looks like it should replace scryb sprites in berserk stompy.

It's fantastic in Stompy decks of all flavors.

It gets around Chalice for 1, and yet remains a great play off a basic land turn one.

It gains life back rapidly.

It's a great equipment carrier that also gains back life at an extremely fast rate when equipped.

It's also great in affinity decks and MUD decks for those same reasons, because it evades and gets so beefy when equipped.

Thread Information