Thread: [Idea] Academy Researchers Combo

Threaded View

too poor to play legacy.
    Mar 2011
    seattle, wa

[Idea] Academy Researchers Combo

so, the Academy Researchers + Eldrazi Conscription combo isn't a secret, probably because it's not very good, but i was wondering if anyone's ever given the combo any serious consideration. a friend of mine (thanks, frank) made a casual deck a while back and it was pretty mean, but mostly because none of us saw it coming. i'm not saying it'll ever be anything close to a tier deck, but it probably has some rogue potential

basically, you drop a 12/12 trample, annihilator 2 on turn three (or faster) without giving any indication of what's coming.

i know the format is swarming with creature kill and removal, but if we can build these cards into a control shell, could we make it work?

maybe something like:

4x Academy Researchers
    4x Eldrazi Conscription

4x Force of Will
    4x Counterspell
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Impulse

14x other cards

22x lands

running Mental Misstep helps our fear of 1cc white removal spells and Innocent Blood. we could run U/w for cards like Enlightened Tutor, Academy Rector, and Tallowisp (though i recocgnize that the latter two need a lot of working around in order to run ideally). we could run more auras (ugh, card disadvantage, i know) in order to make room for Arcanum Wings. there are probably other auras that we could easily attach to the researchers as well, even if the conscription is probably our best target.

these are all ideas that will probably result in a really bad deck, but i'm wondering what the larger community thinks. i think it could be pretty fun. that being said, i've given the actual decklist very little thought, and wanted to see if anyone else had ever toyed with such a list before putting one together myself.

thoughts?
    Last edited by sillyandrew; 05-11-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: added card tags and fixed typos.

Thread Information