Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Important] Playmats at the GP

[Important] Playmats at the GP

First, due to a situation I was only just informed of this week, we will be unable to distribute mats within the convention center at all. We will do our best to get you mats outside of the venue. It's unlikely this situation will change at this point.

If you accept a mat, it will unfortunately also come with the stipulation that you not use it or even show it within the convention center, during the GP or otherwise.

Secondly, mats are now free. If you want to separately contribute to defray costs for the GP, it would be much appreciated. You can PM me or ask me for the info.

If you prepaid for a mat
    You can ask for a refund of all or part of what you sent. Just contact me. If you don't, it will be assumed you want to contribute that amount to GP costs.

You still get a mat no matter what. If we can't get you a mat at the GP, we'll mail you one at no cost.

If you requested a mat at the GP
    You're on a list, and we will do our best to get one to you, same as above.

Also, between preorders and requests, all mats are currently claimed. Another mat with a new design for those who couldn't make it to the GP or otherwise don't get a mat will likely be produced.

It's a sucky situation, but hopefully we can make the best of it.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Re: [Important] Playmats at the GP

Bumping the hell out of this for importance. For those whom are still seeing the source from the RI area or haven't left yet, please read this thread and take note.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Vatija Mlohavich
    May 2010
    Croatia

Good luck guys. and WOTC are assholes when it comes to sales.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Sorry, why? That sounds completely fucking retarded. So, if I play with a playmat that's not a Magic one, will I get DQ'ed? What is the retarded reason behind that?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2010
    Ontario, Canada

Im going to guess because the mats use copyrighted images...

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Oh, yeah, he was asking for money for them. Depressing, really. Should have made them free. Bet people would have given more than $10 as a donation to The Source.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Worth the donation, tbh
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Support the source with a donation. Well, not the source. But somebody DID drop a couple hundred bucks on these and it'd be nice if he didn't have to eat it. It's good for the community.

I know I'll include a hefty donation for mine.
    Last edited by Zach Tartell; 05-27-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Buying cardboard >
    Jan 2011
    801,Utah

This is ridiculous. On the note of " donations". I will donate for both the current source mat and the new mat you plan on making. Anything to support you guys from being screwed over

What about the source pads? If they're still available, I'd like to get my hand on a good amount of them too.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

The break down was essentially that he tried working with the TO. The TO is afraid that use of copyrighted images and logos without WotC Brand consent will get The Source sued and him barred from running more GPs. So he has decided not to allow the playmats, I'm not sure about the pads.

CDR has contacted Wizards but they sometimes take a while. So for the moment that's where this stands, please do not take them out or use them at the GP. He is not selling them. He is giving them away and accepting a donation to cover costs for those willing and able to do so.

Please respect that, as there was a substantial amount of coin dropped to produce these for us and it will suck if 1 person decides to be a rebel and ruins it for everyone.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Feb 2007
    United Kingdom

So what about the playmats after the GP? :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halted Asylum View Post
    Force of Will is terrible with Bob, i rather Mana Leak.

Mental Misstep your....oh wait
    Dec 2010
    Boston

Quote Originally Posted by PhanTom_lt View Post
    So what about the playmats after the GP? :)
    They burned them all...that is except for 2 cases that fell off the back of a truck.
    "Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by chags View Post
    They burned them all...that is except for 2 cases that fell off the back of a truck.
    MTG The Source playmats - the new Summer Magic.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    He is not selling them. He is giving them away and accepting a donation to cover costs for those willing and able to do so.
    Cool fact. Thats what they do with Medical Marijuana in California because it is technically illegal.

I have one of the playmats, looks amazing, and made over 10 people jealous, which justified my donation even more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

All playmats were given out. New ones won't be made for quite awile.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

If these playmats could be produced similar to Spell Grounds playmats, then I would be willing to make a large donation to acquire one (or several). Just throwing that out there...
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by lorddotm View Post
    Cool fact. Thats what they do with Medical Marijuana in California because it is technically illegal.

I have one of the playmats, looks amazing, and made over 10 people jealous, which justified my donation even more.
    So, let me get this straight... If you have your medical user's card, you can just go into a dispensary in California and be like, "I'll take a half ounce of the bubble kush, but I'm afraid I'm unable to make a cash donation today, so I'll just be getting that for free my good man." ...Like, seriously????????

Also, @ CDR: as far as these playmats go, are there going to be more available at some point? Where can I see a picture of them?
    Bless your heart, we must consider Blue/White Tempo's strategy and win percentages in an entirely different deck thread. -4eak

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDemonKn1ght View Post
    So, let me get this straight... If you have your medical user's card, you can just go into a dispensary in California and be like, "I'll take a half ounce of the bubble kush, but I'm afraid I'm unable to make a cash donation today, so I'll just be getting that for free my good man." ...Like, seriously????????

Also, @ CDR: as far as these playmats go, are there going to be more available at some point? Where can I see a picture of them?
    Well, you are more than willing to try, but if they will laugh at you. I know since I tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

When did you mail out the post gp ones? I saw one at Indy this weekend and omg can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuad View Post
    When did you mail out the post gp ones? I saw one at Indy this weekend and omg can't wait.
    For the few people that missed me at the GP and had them mailed, they were shipped and you should be receiving them by Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDemonKn1ght View Post
    More will be made at some point, but they'll have a new design and will probably be produced using a different method. This will take a fair amount of time, especially considering my free time is limited at the moment.

The next batch will be available for everyone.

If someone thinks they have an especially brilliant idea for a design, feel free to PM me with it.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information