Page 101 of 376 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 7512

Thread: [Deck] Nic Fit (GBx Explorer Zenith Control)

Aug 2012
    Minneapolis, MN

Re: [Deck] Nic Fit (GBW Explorer Zenith Control)

Has anyone thought of using a one of vampire hexmage in the board for planeswalkers? Seems freaking awesome with nightmare, titan, witness, stronghold.

Quote Originally Posted by jbone2016 View Post
    Has anyone thought of using a one of vampire hexmage in the board for planeswalkers? Seems freaking awesome with nightmare, titan, witness, stronghold.

I think its not great at all since it de-synergises with recurring nightmare. I rather go for vibdicate effects that is less conditional.

A vampire hexmage doesnt do anything really except for planeswalkers and yes a random vial or something but its not worth the slot in my opinion, you cant GSZ the hexmage which makes it much less of a valuable addition of the deck.

If you do, play at least the marithlage with the hexmage

On the side note, a great addition to the decks is cavern of souls

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    @Arianrhod,

The Titan/Unburial/Nightmare/Palinchron pile has a major and a minor problem with it. The minor being that Sun Titan requires WW to cast, which is often hard to get in 4colors with only Unburial Rites to abuse it. The major being that the loop creates unlimited mana, but without an Oracle or a Witness, it will not produce unlimited draws or Gifts in order to find Kokusho.

I also thought about a 1/1 split between Gifts/Intuition but I dismissed it because Gifts was plainly superior. Adding 1 mana to a spell for an extra tutor is nothing to scoff at either. I would only play Intuition > Gifts if the deck primarily was a combo deck and going off was its priority. As it turns out, going for a combo-centric approach that requires 7 lands in play isn't the best strategy, therefore I maintain the card offering the most powerful effect for a Control/Aggro/Combo deck (in that order) should hold priority.

@Kich867,

Losing the strength of Deeds and focusing on targeted removal makes Mother of Runes good again. I believe maverick shouldn't have any trouble giving you hell.
    @Qweerios

Agree@RE@Kich. Perhaps sideboard 3-4 Dread of Night?

Try using Reflecting Pools (I'd say x2) and a Murmuring Bosk. It's fixed any problems with the mana base in my 4-color version. Bosk coming in tapped can be annoying, but there are often turns when you can get it out without hurting your tempo. Reflecting Pools have been amazing. Also, I'd recommend adopting Paul Ewenstein's technology of a Noble Hierarch. It smooths mana and also helps vs Fish (don't have to fetch islands).

As for "just" generating mana...I don't think that's a major problem at all. If you've resolved Gifts and gone through with the infinite loop, I don't believe that you HAVEN'T hit a Witness or an Oracle yet. The most I could see it causing is it might make you want to Zenith out a Witness or Oracle when you might otherwise not want to in the early game. Keep in mind too that at the point at which you have infinite mana, you can use Titan to get back the rest of your graveyard, loop Explorer through Nightmare so that you have all of the rest of the basics in your deck out, etc. It needs a Witness or Oracle to win, but again, I don't see you having -not- hit one of those options very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore
    Just wanted to chime in with the Teeg talk that I played him x1 maindeck in my most recent tournament and thought he was great. As far as actual game play, he stopped a miracled Temporal Mastery that surely would've won the game. I'll be continuing to play him mainboard since he gives assistance against difficult matchups.

He might stop our own GSZ so if drawn he has to be carefully played with, but that's it. He stops no other spell in our mainboard. He also stops dangerous, game ending cards such as:

-Terminus
    -Entreat the Angels
    -Hive Mind
    -Sneak Attack
    -Opposing GSZ -> Scavenging Ooze
    -Charbelcher/Empty the Warrens
    -Force of Will

All cards we have trouble dealing with, along with several others that are quite annoying such as Batterskull (after you deal with the Mystic) and Jace. Also, not to say that FoW is a game ending card, but that we can easily outpace most soft countermagic and if we can stop FoW it gives them no counter to a hard cast Grave Titan.

Another way to put it is that even though he stops GSZ, that doesn't stop Maverick from running him as well.
    I personally still don't like Teeg, because I like Cranial Extraction and Memoricide too much. You're right, though -- Teeg is awfully good in non-Rector versions. Rector runs Elspeth (and 4-mana enchantments), so Teeg can be a little irritating therein. Especially since Elspeth is one of our best cards vs Miracles.

//////

Went effortlessly 3-0 with Rector last night in my local before dying in the last round to Red ANT. He combo'd me game one fairly easily, then g2 I made his life a living hell. I blew up both of his red lands with Vindicate, Hymn'd him by Cranialing his Lotus Petals, Therapy like crazy, Extirpated his Therapies to knock him off of Threshold, etc. The literal whole nine-yards. He Ad Nauseums from 9 with Elspeth staring at him. No cards in hand. Hasn't made a land drop yet. He flips LED, Bloodstained Mire, Grim Tutor, Dark Ritual, dropping to 5. He fetches (4), Ritual, LED, Tutor/break LED (1), Tendrils. For exact storm with exact mana. Fuck my life.

He LITERALLY couldn't have flipped any other 4 cards in his entire deck and won the game.

Regardless of the tilt that put me on (especially when that knocked me to 3rd on breakers...), I can say that the list is very close to how I want it. In testing, Yosei seems to have largely fixed the Maverick problem. Sakura-Tribes are pretty good, although I'm leaning towards trimming that to a 1-of for Zenith as opposed to the 2-of. As stated previously, I like drawing them naturally, but at a two-of I'm not drawing them enough for that to matter. A 1-of tutor target is probably fine, unless I can find a 3rd slot to open up somehow. They've definitely been good though....early blocks into acceleration / fixing is sweet. In an Explorerless world, they also ramp from 2->4, which is important in Rector builds for self-evident reasons.

I'm thinking about putting the 4th Deed in the board. I'm concerned about Pithing Needle and Revoker, though, and I'm not sure I want Damnation because there might be a Teeg. It's also possible that I'm obsessing entirely too much over corner cases.

I'll try to post my most recent Rector list a little later on.

I was testing out Qweerios' BGuw palin fit list from a few pages back on MWS last night.

With all the oracles and explorers I was able to ramp a lot, but usually all I could do with that mana is cast more oracles and explorers. It felt like that's all the deck does. I do feel that if you have Iona in the maindeck, there should be a way to hardcast her, if needed. I would remove a swamp and add a plains, tundra, or savannah. I feel swamp is the 2nd worst card in the deck (Island being 1st)

On the other hand, I played his BGu gifts/loam deck as well and was able to take two game ones against lands (of course the games lasted so long they would have been game one draws in a tourney) but didn't play the second or third games for either match. I was able to finally topdeck the miser wasteland after primeval stripped every other land out of my deck (he had active wastelock so I couldn't afford to titan it into play) and was able to deed his orb, waste his chasm, and apparently thrun gets by maze of ith quite well.

I was also able to beat 4c SNT/omniscience with duress/extirpate on SNT, but Keiga, the Tide Star is brutal against any nonSTP versions of this deck. However the deck seems more all-in on SNT, so we have a better chance to disrupt them than sneak/show.

I think I'd like to try a 1/1 split of JTMS and Liliana in this version, and also put in an unearth. I'd like to have some means of card advantage that doesn't use the stack, cost mana, or is dependent on the graveyard (i.e. Jace +0, phyrexian arena, bob) and being able to wish for jace, liliana, witness, and something else shouldn't be scoffed at.

Jul 2012
    The Netherlands

Gratz on the result

Quote Originally Posted by Arianrhod View Post
    @Qweerios

I'll try to post my most recent Rector list a little later on.
    I am looking forward to it. At the moment I am sticking to the rector version and I am planning to play it at the Dutch Nationals in October. Of course Return to Ravnica will offer completely new untested decklists. This means plenty more discussions/options

So here we go , moving towards celebrating page 200
    I love this thread, its people, the discussion, and last but not least the amazing Nic Fit deck. Never a dull moment.

In my builds I don't have Elspeth or 4 mana enchantments (except for Humility sideboard) so that's why I felt Teeg could go main. I haven't done much testing with Elspeth though, but my theory is that Teeg gives a boost to horrible matchups as opposed to Elspeth boosting decent to good matchups...and both help Miracles, so I dunno there :P.

The Cranial/Memoricide/Tsunami concern is a valid one and I'm still contemplating it. However, an x1 Teeg is still searchable for when we don't draw the Extractions and it can give us an out (even if temporary) against Leyline of Sanctity, which always seems to come out turn 0 against me in games 2/3. My worry with a Tsunami attempt would be if I sacced Teeg and they get to finally use their sandbagged FoW...so running Teeg will likely prove to be a skill-intensive move. I imagine Teeg will be aimed as a late game (post-Extractions) to stop the 4+ bombs that serve as their only out against, say, Sigarda (Ad Naseum, Tendrils, Entreat, Wrath of God) and effectively seal the deal.

Overall our deck is designed to kill our own creatures, so I imagine we can find ways to remove Teeg if necessary. That's also why I'm rolling with Viridian Emissary for now. Nothing else, I'd rather a Swords to hit Emissary than an Explorer or late game fatty, as opposed to them holding one because of STEve. I don't rely on the 4 mana slot as much either, so I can see why you want Steve. The extra flexibility of GSZ for Steve and then saccing for the land is nice, but seems a waste of a GSZ. I ran an x1 Emissary and just preferred it as Acceleration #9 (Explorer 1-4, GSZ 5-8).

--

As far as your unfortunate bout of bad luck, why didn't you Cranial the Ad Naseums?
    Last edited by Claymore; 08-29-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: asdf

I'm also interested in the updated rector list. I picked up a pair of FBB Savannah's at gencon and I may try to trade one for a moat and something.

Here is an updated gbw list I have. There's 62 cards so I need to make some cuts but I'm not sure what to drop. Certainly the sb is by no means set either, the deed and stp are fillers atm.

Also what are thoughts on 3 tops vs 2 tops and 1 sylvain library split?

Creature (17)
    1x Academy Rector
    2x Eternal Witness
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Grave Titan
    1x Kitchen Finks
    1x Master of the Wild Hunt
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Sigarda, Host of Herons
    1x Sun Titan
    1x Thragtusk
    1x Thrun, the Last Troll
    4x Veteran Explorer

Enchantment (5)
    3x Pernicious Deed
    1x Phyrexian Arena
    1x Recurring Nightmare

Instant (3)
    3x Swords to Plowshares

Land (23)
    3x Bayou
    3x Forest
    1x Karakas
    1x Marsh Flats
    2x Phyrexian Tower
    2x Plains
    2x Savannah
    1x Scrubland
    2x Swamp
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    2x Windswept Heath

Sorcery (11)
    4x Cabal Therapy
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    1x Inquisition of Kozilek
    1x Maelstrom Pulse
    1x Vindicate

Artifact (3)
    3x Sensei's Divining Top

Sideboard (15)
    3x Extirpate
    3x Carpet of Flowers
    2x Enlightened Tutor
    1x Memoricide
    2x Damnation
    1x Ichneumon Druid
    1x Chains of Mephistopheles
    1x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Pernicious Deed

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

@Claymore -- You're probably right. I had Therapied him, so I knew that his two cards in hand were Lotus Petals. I'd already Vindicated his two red lands in deck (Badlands and Volc), so my thought process was twofold: remove two free Storm count in case he draws something, and make it so that LED is the only remaining source of red mana in his deck. I also had an Eternal Witness swinging away, so I figured that if I kept him off mana and cards for Storm as much as possible, I would be able to get his life low enough that Ad Nauseum wouldn't be scary. But I do think you're very likely correct.

@Kung Fu -- Master of the Wild Hunt is terrible now. He was fine a few months ago, but I wouldn't touch him with the current meta (and the way the meta is progressing). You also really need a Fierce Empath to go with your Sun Titan and Grave Titan. Making your big bombs GSZ-able is a pretty good thing. Especially when you can nut out and Empath->Sun, sac Empath for Therapy (checking for counters) or Tower for mana, play Sun, returning Empath, grabbing Grave. Most decks just crumple under that barring extenuating on-board circumstances.

I continue to dislike Thrun. I'd make that the cut down to 61, which is perfectly acceptable. IMO Nic Fit should always be run at 61. It just flows better. I've tried it at 60 and it doesn't feel right to me. You suck so much land out of your deck, plus GSZ....I've never had a problem with the extra card. I'd rather have the extra tutor target than the most perfect math possible with the extra .07% chance to have a Veteran in your opener, or whatever it actually works out to.

3 Tops is always better. Sylvan Library gets punted by Deed constantly....Top saves itself.

The 1-of Inquisition maindeck looks a little suspect to me. I'm not sure what else is on your short list of things to put in, but I can't imagine you finding it reliably enough when it matters.

@HoneyT -- what are your thoughts on Kung Fu's list?

Jul 2012
    The Netherlands

@Kung Fu

Would it not be better to have 2, maybe even 3 rectors? The problem is what to cut?
    Maybe cut Kitchen Finks? (besides the suggestions already made by Arianrhod)

Maybe Teeg based on previous discussions?

I recently included Ooze as well because it serves a lot of causes.

I do play the version with Moat so that will make a difference regarding maindeck choices.

Not really going back into all of these pages, but I played this deck to just goof around and play something different a few months ago. I made it a goal to win the tourney while using Recurring Nightmare and Yosei to lock them out of the game. I think that if you are using all of these titans, I would just consider Yosei lock with Nightmare...

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Ooze is amazing. I'm even considering adding a second one. Just because I tend to blow my ooze up with deed a lot. Sometimes you just gotta do it. I still am a big fan of Thrun. A lot of decks just fold to him.

I run a 1 of inquisition as well and have always liked it. It is nice having one extra disruptive discard spell in case of combo, and it is nice to open on that into next turn therapy and explorer. That is just destructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

@above

Scavenging ooze would be the first creature I would add and probably the last card from the list I would cut. It does do much against all the decks.

The list started out as 4 therapy and 2 hymns which I evolved to 1 thought seize and 1 iok which I had to make a cut so the thought seize went. It's not about getting it reliably it's more of having the 5th discard effect. The 2 spots were Lilliana firstly as well. But that said it may be correct tO drop it.

Master is probably the correct cut. Thrun I always like with the myriad of blue decks around and he just beats rug. But with enough discard the uncountable may not be necessary. I still think you want 1 4 drop green creature and that seems to be either master or Thrun. Other suggestions?

Fierce empath I did get ahold of but hadn't put it in yet. It is good utility and I'll give it a shot. On a side note, I wish monwali beast tracker didn't put to top of library or found more keywords so it could get baneslayer and sun Titan.

I only playing 1 rector ATM since its not a dedicated rector build. It's a way to have a flex second copy of all my 1 of enchantments. Mostly experimental as well at this point.

Teeg seems good right now but could be sb. Same with pridemage potentially?

61 cards seems fine to me too ESP with 23 lands. I've run 61 in a lot of other decks before and I know how the stats add up so I like it honestly.

So right now I'm at the above list:

-1 Master of the Wild Hunt
    -1 pridemage to sb

+1 fierce empath?

Tappedout link for those curious:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nic-fit-12/
    Last edited by Kung Fu English; 08-29-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Thrun is great as well. The hexproof is very very good vs STP and Karakas, and he can chump big KotR vs Maverick all day, then after you deed for 3 he goes on offense.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

For strictly cutting 2 cards, I would cut Pridemage and Master. I used to run both, but cut Master early when I rarely was GSZing for him.

Pridemage was a little harder to stomach, but realized that I was hardly using him for something board-breaking and generally just a "lol I can do this" play. Usually Pridemage will be to kill equipment, and no equipment can truly qualify as a game breaker aside from maybe SoFI or SoFF. Batterskull we can either chump block with creatures or our face until we get a bigger threat down, and Jitte isn't scary to us until it gets to 4 or 6 counters. Both easily get stopped or slowed by Deed. Other must-stops aren't fast enough to end the game (Confinement) or can just sit (Leylines) while we just find another of our 5+ answers in the deck.

Past that, I would cut Ooze. I run Ooze in the sideboard because, like Pridemage, there aren't enough must-answers to run him. I rarely, if ever, GSZ'd for him when he was mainboard, and would rather wait the extra turn to GSZ -> Empath -> Titan. If he is crucial to the match, then the Ooze is likely too slow to matter (Reanimator, Dredge) since you would need to GSZ minimum turn 2/3 and then eat graves turn 3/4. For areas heavy with Maverick I can see Ooze sticking around, but otherwise our other bombs can easily handle the load.

I also think having Thrun and Sigarda is redundant, and in this meta I would rather have Sigarda. Her flying and Hexproof were huge when hunting a Jace hiding behind an active Batterskull and a few chump blockers. She's also bigger than your typical Goyf and can easily stop Delvers. Thrun can't be countered, which certainly has helped me in past games, but having him in-hand is not something to depend on.

---

I might look at testing a singleton Ulvenwald Tracker, probably sideboard since he sucks against control and combo. I know he comes up in here often, probably because of me lol, but I want to try for a few reasons:

-Rock thread loves him, and Maverick often runs him. Those are similar decks to us.
    -He helps clear out trouble cards such as Mother of Runes, Phyrexian Revoker, and general chump blockers
    -If you get lucky and have Grave Titan and him out, Grave Titan can assassinate Emrakul.

Mostly though, I'm looking to see why Maverick and Rock love him so much and to see if that loving can translate. If we can get more removal without having to blow Deeds and Pulses constantly then I'm all for it...not to mention an outlet for Explorers and Rectors.

In that line of thinking, those of you with heavy Miracles may want to consider the Sylvan Safekeeper + Gaddock Teeg hard lock on them.
    Last edited by Claymore; 08-29-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: asdf

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

@Claymore - Rock has Knight of the Reliquary, and they're also a -dedicated- KotR deck. This means that he gets enormous very, very quickly, as do their Goyfs (thanks to discard). The reason I don't like Tracker in traditional styled Nic Fit decks (despite considering him a few times) is because our threats take forever to drop. Sure, you punch something with a Titan, they're gonna feel it. But that's 6 mana. While we do have a different definition of "big mana" than most of legacy, Rock likes Tracker because he comes out early, their Goyfs and KotRs come out early, and then he goes to down from there. With that in mind, Tracker is perfect for Kich's deck, because Dungrove will do a pretty good KotR impersonation, and I'm fairly certain he was running Goyf as well, which, with Therapy, is again nutty.

With that in mind, I don't think that Tracker is something we can really take advantage of, sadly. Even making things fight Baneslayer or Rector as a means to sac out isn't that great.

As an aside for everyone, by the way, apparently Academy Rectors are pushing upwards of $20 retail now, with foils approaching 70-80. I have no idea when this happened...I'm guessing people want to experiment with Omniscience and see if that's a viable course, so they're buying up copies just in case. Regardless, if you want to get in on the Rector version cheaply, you can probably still find some sites (or LGS) that haven't updated their prices yet. Trade tables are probably good too, because I'm pretty sure price memory is going to hold 8-10 range for a little while at least. Looks like the Rector version is going to get even -more- inaccessible cost-wise, though =(

I'm not currently considering Tarmogoyf. Perhaps I should try to find a way to fit him in though. He's certainly aggressive, but I worry that I'm already quite flooded on the creature front. Though there's also the option of moving even further towards that end, aim to just have more creatures than they will removal (sort of mavericky in that sense).

Damn, I saw that the Omniscience was making waves but was hoping it would avoid influencing Rector price. So much for that

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Goyf does not belong inthis deck. Once you are running goyf you might as well go full on rock. Nic Fit for the most part is a green sun control style deck. It does have rock influences but we aren't trying to go Aggro with 2 drops. We go big with 5s and 6s.

I would never cut ooze unless my meta was full of tendrils and such. He is great against RUG, Maverick, Dredge, Reanimator. Even against Stoneblade he can turn off snapcaster or just get big. And even if my meta was full of tendrils this deck would not be good at all. Having an ooze to green sun for is just amazing.

The Enchanter
    Mar 2012
    Council Bluffs, IA

@KungFu and @Arianrhod:

Re: Kung Fu's junk build

I don't mind the extra discard slot, but if you use it, then Thoughtseize is just better. Like most everybody said, Master is not really worth it nor is Thrun because Sigarda is just better. Also, if you're only running one Rector and aren't Rector centric, which I like, I don't think the second Tower is necessary. If you really like the extra sac outlet, I'm a fan of Innocent Blood. I don't like Teeg in the main, in the sideboard I think he's fine since you aren't using Cranial Extraction effects. Shutting off arguably your best card game 1 isn't what you want to be doing.

If I were to tweak your mainboard it would be something like this:

- Gaddok Teeg
    - Master of the Wild Hunt
    - Thrun, the Last Troll
    - Inquisition of Kozilek
    - Phyrexian Tower

+ Thoughtseize
    + Innocent Blood
    + Liliana of the Veil
    + Elspeth, Knight Errant

Something like that. Hope that helps!

@above

The big thing Pridemage kills for me is Sneak Attack honestly. That ends the game out of nowhere and is too high CC for deed. The rest im not worried about. But putting it in the SB seems fine since people are starting to eschew sneak now or might.

I did try Ulvenwald tracker, didn't like it. Doesn't work in this deck.

Thoughseize vs. IoK: comes down to the 2 life for me. I find myself stabilizing at 1-3 somewhat often, so it could make a difference. Certainly could go either way though.

Pick up your Rectors now and finish your play sets. It's going to be 30 before too long.

I still think Thrun and Sigarda both do a ton of work in the deck and I like having both available. If you get 1 in hand you search the other. And you aren't hosed if you get one killed or countered without a recursion ability.

Scavenging Ooze: If you aren't searching him up main deck something is wrong. I search him up all the time. He is the go to low cc aggro creature. GSZ for 1-3 doesn't get any better. There's a reason why time walk is banned, and time walking yourself so you can GSZ for empath a turn later and be a turn behind the rest of the game is not where you want to be. What else are you going to do with 3 mana when you are on the beatdown or facing no threats? Play witness into an empty GY?

2 Phy Tower: 1 could become a Volrath's, as it used to be, but that is clunky in my experience. Tower gives you explosive openings and 5 mana on t2 more often. Replacing one with an innocent blood or other not only removes the 2 mana you get from tower but also costs you 2 more, so you are basically time walking yourself.

I could be convinced to remove the Karakas and put 2 in the SB for appropriate matchups, however.

- Gaddok Teeg (SB)
    - Master of the Wild Hunt
    - Qasali Pridemage (SB)
    - Inquisition of Kozilek
    - Karakas (SB x2)

+ Thoughtseize
    + Liliana of the Veil
    + Elspeth, Knight Errant
    + Fierce Empath

Potentially?

Thread Information