Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Articles] The History of Legacy

May 2007
    Slovenia, Europe

Re: [Articles] The History of Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
    @ Spikey

I drove 8 hours to play the the SCG Dual for Duals in VA back in 2006, just so my UWb Fish deck could get some recognition. Unfortunately, I came in 9th (bad tiebreakers), and many people on the Source still scoffed it off, even with wins against some big names like Alix Hatfield. Shit happens, Legacy used to be elitist. It's not really any better now, with such a big flood of IMPS. Just play the game to enjoy it, and screw the ignoramus who understimate good ideas.
    I remember that deck and i liked it on the spot, even though i didn't play blue back then. When someone says fish, my mind says Hanni fish:)

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Thanks for the comments guys, and for being supportive of the series. It's a lot tougher than I expected to do these (although a lot of that is technical, since the site is blocked at work) so hearing that you're enjoying them is great - even if some of you were there anyway. A few responses, if I may:

@ thunderbluff - as much as the joke was a significant part of the site's history, it's one of those "had to be there" jokes. No one who wasn't there would get it or see the humor, and these aren't really meant for the players who were there (aka guys who have been around that long). I still have a playset of FBB Digeridoos, don't worry.

@ WC/EC drama - here's the thing. This site was started by, and for the most part has been supported by, East coast players. There has always been, up until the point where NoVA and Syracuse players kind of fell off the map, a bias associated with that. To deny it or ignore it is contrary to fact. I've always tried to be conscious of the other metagames for as log as I've been on staff - even when what's-his-face and I were battling across multiple sites I still recognized the contributions of the WC meta. Shit, I beat Rod in top 8 of TML1, it's hard to ignore that. But again, that points to what Hanni said - the best way to get respect is to earn it. And our issue with Hanni was never the deck, butthe attempt to credit him with the Fish archetype, which was and is still incorrect. Whatever, water under the bridge.

The next article is up today, check it out and keep the comments coming!

Jun 2008
    Central NY

Link to Part 4: http://www.channelfireball.com/home/...res-meliorism/

Keep 'em up! These are great :D.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

For those of you who don't check the site every day, here's a link to part 5:

http://www.channelfireball.com/home/...illenarianism/

Thanks for reading!

I really enjoyed this series. Hell, I still remember the confusion I felt when I visited the site after a few days and said to myself "What the fuck do Taurens have to do with anything?!" So good.

I think a lot of people really enjoy the trip down memory lane. It's such a good underdog story. Little-known and underplayed format eventually becomes incredibly popular, bangs the cheerleader, gets rich, etc. and everyone who was there since the beginning feels a sense of satisfaction. Or at least gets to play it regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    I really enjoyed this series. Hell, I still remember the confusion I felt when I visited the site after a few days and said to myself "What the fuck do Taurens have to do with anything?!" So good.

I think a lot of people really enjoy the trip down memory lane. It's such a good underdog story. Little-known and underplayed format eventually becomes incredibly popular, bangs the cheerleader, gets rich, etc. and everyone who was there since the beginning feels a sense of satisfaction. Or at least gets to play it regularly.
    +1.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

My last round at GP: Chicago was BS. But I loved that deck, it was so good.

throbbing member

Feb 2007

Wow! I posted a Merfolk list at some point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder
    I love it when Tacosnape reads me Seuss. It's the sodomy I don't like .

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    When NOVA players got tired of dealing with the bullshit coming out of New Yorkers we didn't complain, we drove up seven-eight hours to kick their asses and take their money.
    QFT.

Not enough NoVa in this article.

Also, no one outside of NY ever thought ATS was anything but adorable.

Hot Karl on the other hand....
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Dying to my own cards

Apr 2011
    Ft Bragg

I just read through the whole series and really enjoyed it. While I didn't get to really play Legacy before recently I still thought the format was a lot of fun and really enjoyed it. I started trying to get into the format around GP Columbus and remember pretty much everything that happened since then.

I still remember seeing the Lands list that made T8 Legacy Champs at Gen-Con 2008(?) and thinking that any format where you can play that deck is awesome. Unfortunately I wasn't especially good at Magic at that point and failed to do well with the deck, mostly because I had no idea what half the decks in the meta, looking at you Cephalid Breakfast, did.

Great read. Keep it up.

I'm Jewish!
    Mar 2006
    Arlington, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    @ thunderbluff - as much as the joke was a significant part of the site's history, it's one of those "had to be there" jokes. No one who wasn't there would get it or see the humor, and these aren't really meant for the players who were there (aka guys who have been around that long). I still have a playset of FBB Digeridoos, don't worry.
    One day, Wizards will see it fit to print Anaba Grunt, and on that day many a didgeridoo shall be blown into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Now, how can you be sure it's rape when there's no way to tell if a barnacle is consenting or not? For all we know it was actually two first time lesbian barnacles who signed a release for the footage to be used in the newest installment of Barnacles Gone Wild: Seafoam Splash.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges View Post
    QFT.

Not enough NoVa in this article.

Also, no one outside of NY ever thought ATS was anything but adorable.

Hot Karl on the other hand....
    ATS was the most complicated deck in the format, and I played it for 2 years straight as a kid. It scooped to Humility, I remember getting sat down by Nightmare on R/W Rifter. Eternal Witness wasn't always around, and Disenchant hurt! Cartographer and Wood Elves were actually playable, and Quirion Ranger pwned so many kids using Wasteland. I don't care if the deck was always Tier 2, there's nothing more fun than locking kids out turn 4 with Tradewind Rider and Seedborn Muse. I'll never forgive Vengevine for killing Survival of the Fittest on me. What a deck...

Thread Information