Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Grand Abolisher

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Re: [SCD] Grand Abolisher

Quote Originally Posted by alderon666 View Post
    This card is bonkers in Cephalid Breakfast. It's just Abeyance that can come down with a Vial activation. And once that resolves your opponent is basically locked out of the game. They can't counter anything, cast removal, activate Reliquary,Maze of Ith, Lavamancer, most hate cards like Crypt and Relic.
    Fixed that for you.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Dont know if this creature is gonna have any impact in legacy but in standard in a puresteel paladin deck.. This guy gives the abilitie to equip without your opponents able to respond to the equiping.

Oct 2005
    Mass

If not dealt with, he straight up rapes Blue and doesn't even offer lube. Counter spells and Counter/top (really just topping in response, but that is hella-relevant) are shut down. This is of course assuming you don't cast instants on your opponent's turn like a tard.

He also stops your opponent from nuking your dudes in response to slapping equipment on them (costing you a large tempo loss) and makes it harder for your opponent to fight through Mother of Runes.

Yes, against certain decks (like Zoo) he is just a "weak" creature who will get outclassed by cheap beaters. That isn't his only role though. Combat is his secondary priority.

bruizar

maze still works

Capitalization and punctuation are required on these boards. Please use them in the future. -zilla

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

I am not a genius, but there has to be some use for a one sided(albeit on your turn only) Null Rod, Cursed Totem and a Silence on legs, I could always be wrong though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Anti-counter card that can be countered is useless.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

White weenie shell with equips and Mishra's Factories seems like his main deck home. Even then he has stiff competition with various knights, relicwarder, maybe canonist. But keeping your factories safe is neat, maybe Jade Statue will make a comeback :)

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

I think it's pointless to discuss this card in any strategy that doesn't already care a lot about counters to begin with. Cephalid Breakfast seems like a reasonable use. Generic-white-weenie-deck does not.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Bryant Cook

You will not see it in my TES Lists.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Grand Abolisher seems completely ridiculous in anything that can support him, if you ask me. He's not just an anti-counter card for combo and aggro alike. He's a means of making sure you don't fall victim to instant-speed removal when attaching equipment to guys, and he's a means of preventing your opponent from doing all sorts of tricksy shit.

I don't think he's a TES card. I expect Cephalid Breakfast to add one copy of him to maindeck lists, maybe two on the outside. And I expect White-based aggro decks to use him.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Seems good but not insane by any measure. You basically need to drop it and do nutty shit the same turn, or have an active Mom or something, or most decks won't care. I think it might have a home in Wb Deadguy-ish lists and DnT though.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Seems only worth it in cephalid breakfast/death and taxes and only because they can vial it in safely. Does this work same way under Humility as Painter's Servant does by the way?

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Grand Abolisher seems completely ridiculous in anything that can support him, if you ask me. He's not just an anti-counter card for combo and aggro alike. He's a means of making sure you don't fall victim to instant-speed removal when attaching equipment to guys, and he's a means of preventing your opponent from doing all sorts of tricksy shit.
    The point of most tricky shit is to make you waste a card, and if you're playing Grizzly Bear just for that it seems like it's already pretty much mission accomplished.

The only deck that really cares about combat-speed removal that I can think of is Merfolk, which obviously can't support this guy.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
    Anti-counter card that can be countered is useless.
    Yeah, like unless Legacy got some kind of new deck archetype like... I dunno, like some sort of aggro deck that can also control, I don't see this guy being useful. I just think aggro-control goes in two opposite directions though so it's clearly useless.

(Seriously DrJones, seriously? This guy slows down the game in all the right ways for an aggro control deck--you drop it, they counter it, you counter that, it resolves, now they have to main-phase anything they want to do against you. That forces them to tap out on their turn, they can't EOT do anything, if they want to brainstorm they do it during their turn, if they want to swords it in response to something, they have to do it during their turn. Also, Solidarity outright folds to this guy. He's powerful, he may not be format changing, but he's good for any deck that can protect him and wants to play threats during their own turn. Counter-balance can't function very well when they can't top during your turn. Aether Vial decks can't EOT drop a dude in or in combat drop a dude in. Nothing you do can be countered. No EOT dig spells. They can't even do simple things like leave Grim Lavamancer untapped for a potential blocker if they want to use him. Knight of the Reqliuary can't block and tap to sac a land to get a fetch land to pop the fetch land to be that much bigger and beat your dude. Actually, just in general, KOTR kind of sucks when this guy hits the table as he can only do -one- thing. If he wants to attack he has to, if he wants to block he has to, if he wants to fetch a land he has to do it right then.

It's the little things that add up, and ultimately I can't see him defining a deck, but he'll be removal/counter bait and if he -does- stick your opponent is immediately in an incredibly bad situation. "None of his stuff can be countered, all of my stuff can be countered, I live only in my main phase now. Fun.")

bruizar

If there is any place for this card, it's going to be vintage where it shuts down moxen, and where there is hardly any creature. Legacy isn't the right format for this dude. If I had to play a deck with Abolisher, it would be in Vintage.

I love this card. Just preordered a set. <3

I don't think anyone in this thread has considering everything this card means yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    I love this card. Just preordered a set. <3

I don't think anyone in this thread has considering everything this card means yet.
    This.

It changes the way your opponent plays their game. If it resolves they can't even remove it that turn. So the stp they were holding for your 2-drop now effectively costs them WW and 1/2 or 1/3 of their turn 2 or 3 mana. You use this card to force the opponent to play your game. This card can be built around.

Quote Originally Posted by Star|Scream View Post
    This.

It changes the way your opponent plays their game. If it resolves they can't even remove it that turn. So the stp they were holding for your 2-drop now effectively costs them WW and 1/2 or 1/3 of their turn 2 or 3 mana. You use this card to force the opponent to play your game. This card can be built around.

Uh, there was a deck called fish a long time ago that was basically a bunch of countermagic + hatebears. It died and considering how the format has evolved I am fairly certain it is going to stay dead. In fact, if you drop this against me I am going to look at it .. laugh hysterically and try and decide if I should burn it out or let it be a speedbump for my fatty.

Hatebear.deck sucks.
    4x Meddling Mage
    4x Grand Abolisher
    4x Tidehollow Sculler
    4x Ethersworn Canonist
    3x Jotun Grunt
    3x Teeg

4x Vial
    Other stuff < --- go ahead fill this in with something that isn't going to end up absolute garbage, wrecked by any tier 3 deck ....

- Signed, Someone who plays red spells.

Hello Iare, you seem to have left a few cards off of that list:

4x Phyrexian Revoker
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    1x sword of x/x
    1x sword of x/x
    1x jitte

and in the sideboard
    4x Kor Firewalker

Don't think the "red" matchup is as bad as you're thinking.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Hello Iare, you seem to have left a few cards off of that list:

4x Phyrexian Revoker
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    1x sword of x/x
    1x sword of x/x
    1x jitte

and in the sideboard
    4x Kor Firewalker

Don't think the "red" matchup is as bad as you're thinking.
    Also throw in Mother of Runes. Not that Hatebears.deck would become more viable this way.

Thread Information