Thread: Oblation + token

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Oblation + token

What happens if you cast Oblation on a token? Does the token disappear before the draws occur, or is it possible to actually draw the token out of the library and then have it disappear in the player's hand?

Re: Oblation + token

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    is it possible to actually draw the token out of the library and then have it disappear in the player's hand?
    Yes, tokens do get shuffled in. The ruling on this did change recently, where if you have to draw, but only have tokens in your library, it is concidered to be empty.

Oct 2008

Quote Originally Posted by saspook View Post
    Yes, tokens do get shuffled in. The ruling on this did change recently, where if you have to draw, but only have tokens in your library, it is concidered to be empty.
    Where did you obtain this wisdom?

Quote Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
    Tokens cease to exist the next time SBAs are checked, but SBAs are checked when someone gets priority. The tokens are still there until the spell fully resolves, so they're around while you're drawing (but can't be drawn).
    Last edited by cdr; 07-11-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Argyle sweaters make things better.
    May 2009
    Maine/Worcester, MA

Does that mean you will need to search your library and remove the token after the spell has resolved?

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Couldn't you argue that since the rules text says "draw two cards", and tokens aren't cards, you should ignore them when drawing? (presumably by 'skipping' them if they happen to be on top, and drawing the second object from the top instead)
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Quote Originally Posted by OurSerratedDust View Post
    Does that mean you will need to search your library and remove the token after the spell has resolved?
    In practice, there's no reason to physically shuffle tokens in. It only wastes time, so you shouldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Couldn't you argue that since the rules text says "draw two cards", and tokens aren't cards, you should ignore them when drawing? (presumably by 'skipping' them if they happen to be on top, and drawing the second object from the top instead)
    You're right; I wasn't paying attention enough when I answered and I said something I didn't mean to. I modified my post above.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Expounding on this, given that it happened recently in a Commander game to a player with a Sensei's Divining Top in play, am I correct in assuming that Oblationing a person's token makes them shuffle their library prior to the draw regardless?

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
    http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...re/141a&page=4

The May update bulletin.
    120.4, 608.2d
    These rules referred to a player attempting to draw a card from an empty library losing the game. Thanks to spells like Oblation, it's possible that a token could be in a library while a card draw happens before going poof. Clearly, we meant an empty library to mean a library with no cards in it, so we might as well just say that.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Expounding on this, given that it happened recently in a Commander game to a player with a Sensei's Divining Top in play, am I correct in assuming that Oblationing a person's token makes them shuffle their library prior to the draw regardless?
    You can't top after the shuffle yet before the draw. You can't do anything during the resolution of a spell or ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Yes - the token is being shuffled in, so you shuffle the deck.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information