Page 135 of 191 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145185 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 3805

Thread: [DTB] Blade Control

Re: [DTB] Blade Control

Quote Originally Posted by Pherion View Post

I would probably leave the disenchant at home, it's just for Aether Vial.
    I like your sideboard solutions but this feels wrong. You can also disenchant their equipments and Phyrexian Revoker. Just the revoker bit seems strong enough and then on top of that you have all their equipment. Also, if they bring in additional hate like Pithing Needle, then it will be even more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    I like your sideboard solutions but this feels wrong. You can also disenchant their equipments and Phyrexian Revoker. Just the revoker bit seems strong enough and then on top of that you have all their equipment. Also, if they bring in additional hate like Pithing Needle, then it will be even more useful.
    You're right. I wasn't thinking of equipment! In fact I played a game today against DnT. Disenchant did lots of work. The match is really easy though. Game 1 I ended up with a Jace and Lilly out ><, and game 2 he went all in w/ a t1 vial and walked into a Force.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by Pherion View Post
    You're right. I wasn't thinking of equipment! In fact I played a game today against DnT. Disenchant did lots of work. The match is really easy though. Game 1 I ended up with a Jace and Lilly out ><, and game 2 he went all in w/ a t1 vial and walked into a Force.
    I wouldn't say DnT is an easy matchup for any deck really, it is just a very good and resilient deck all around. The disparity between good and bad DnT players is very large however, and that can make all the difference.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Apr 2011
    the Netherlands

I just had another game against Shardless BUG. Even when it goes well, it will just take a little longer, and Shardless BUG will win after using more than half of it's deck
    Ofc they could be screwed sometimes and you will be able to land a Jace or Batterskull in time, but still... I just hope to dodge the deck ^_^!

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Went 3-1 at a SCG Open Trial with UW Stoneblade, good for 3rd out of 12. Beat RUG Delver, Sneak & Show and Reanimator, lost to Patriot. I liked being able to fetch for lots of basics without worry of Wasteland/Blood Moon. Swan Song is the stone cold nuts versus Sneak & Show.
    Discussing the impact of True-Name Nemesis on Legacy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    And format warping itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for that matter.

What happened in the UWR Delver match? I don't get much play against the matchup.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

He was on the play game 1 and just had the nuts; SFM -> Batterskull + 3 Force of Wills to protect. Game 2, I kept a greedy hand and got punished for it by his Wasteland + my Brainstorm not finding me additional colored mana sources. The match was over in like 8 minutes or something.

A few things I learned/re-affirmed was that Rest in Peace is nutty vs. RUG Delver, Swan Song is insane vs. Sneak & Show, and having a rock solid manabase is the way to ensure TNN and Jace are hitting consistently.

How is the matchup generally speaking? How do you normally sideboard against it?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Was struggling hard lately to make Jace stick, not only because of the tax to play around Daze and Pierce, but also because of REB's. Thinking about other ways to create some CA like adjusting the count of Snapcasters and maybe add Liliana's to get rid of TNN and Fatties.

What's your take on the cardadvantage/Planeswalkers atm? I'm not quite up to date and would like to catch up as well as hearing recent experience with TNN vs. Clique. Thx guys
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Would a couple of Lingering Souls be an option? It may be no good as a lot of threats in this deck die to -1/-1 effects but I thought I would mention it because it is something that I have been thinking about lately. Could just tweak the permission with those slots. I am playing elspeth in my list and I love her. I have also thought about a 3-way split putting 1 of each in. I dunno.

Apr 2011
    the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Was struggling hard lately to make Jace stick, not only because of the tax to play around Daze and Pierce, but also because of REB's. Thinking about other ways to create some CA like adjusting the count of Snapcasters and maybe add Liliana's to get rid of TNN and Fatties.

What's your take on the cardadvantage/Planeswalkers atm? I'm not quite up to date and would like to catch up as well as hearing recent experience with TNN vs. Clique. Thx guys
    I dropped to 2 Jace and they come out vs half of the decks that see play, but I will not drop them entirely. But I also play 2 copy's of Snapcaster, and don't want more with all the Deathrites around. I also tried 1 Liliana but I too often don't want to discard...

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Lans89 View Post
    I dropped to 2 Jace and they come out vs half of the decks that see play, but I will not drop them entirely. But I also play 2 copy's of Snapcaster, and don't want more with all the Deathrites around. I also tried 1 Liliana but I too often don't want to discard...
    The Liliana-issues is imo closely tied to running a build without FoW (at least in the MD). Could be wrong, but the number of cards in Hand usually drops fast in general
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    How is the matchup generally speaking? How do you normally sideboard against it?

If he's on the play, it's pretty rough as they can just open with Delver + protect it ftw some games while also being able to play a more grindy-midrange game of SFM-Equipment-TNN, all while keeping you off kilter with Wasteland and soft counters. It's pretty rough if you're on the draw. We did play some funsies games after the tourney match and I crushed him as I was able to land my SFM first, land my TNN first (fetching basics is key and I do not fear Stifle as Owen's Patriot list doesn't run them). Patriot is fairly threat light, like most Delver decks are, so if you can StP/counter they dude, do so. Often times that'll be their only threat, then they spend the next turn or two burning cantrips, digging for another threat while also trying to stop yours from coming down. If I can push the game to turn 4-5, and I'm still at a reasonable life total while facing down 1 threat, I feel like I'm getting there as my later game (Jace, Verdict) just trumps pretty much anything that have.

I believe I boarded like this versus Patriot:

-2 Spell Pierce, +1 Flusterstorm, +1 True-Name Nemesis
    -1 Counterspell, +1 Disenchant
    -1 Snapcaster Mage, +1 Supreme Verdict

My feeling is that I should be able to get there unless he has the nuts. Game 1, he had turn 1 Delver on the play + 3 FoWs in his first 10 cards, so there wasn't anything I could do about that. Like I said, game 2, I kept a greedy hand and got punished for it. Our funsies games though played out as I think it normally will (I crushed) unless he has the stonecold nuts.

This is my list I took to the SCG Open Trial:

2 Vendilion Clique
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

1 Supreme Verdict

1 Counterspell
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Spell Snare
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares

1 Academy Ruins
    1 Karakas
    2 Plains
    2 Marsh Flats
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Island
    4 Tundra
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Mishra’s Factory

Sideboard

1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Disenchant
    3 Rest in Peace
    1 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Venser, Shaper Savant
    1 Flusterstorm
    2 Swan Song
    1 Detention Sphere
    1 Supreme Verdict
    3 Meddling Mage

Against RUG Delver, I boarded as such:

-3 Snapcaster Mage, + 3 Rest in Peace
    -1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor, +1 True-Name Nemesis
    -1 Counterspell, +1 Supreme Verdict

My thought behind cutting Snapcaster was that Rest in Peace has a much, much greater impact on their deck than Snapcaster does, plus I know that RUG boards in a healthy amount of REBs/Pyroblasts, so Snapcaster's effectiveness is reduced even further. As expected, Rest in Peace was a blowout in games 2 and 3, effectively leaving him with 4-6 actual threats once his Goyfs and Mongeese were neutralized by Rest in Peace.

With Bolt, REB/Pyroblast and opposing TNN running rampant in RUG Delver postboard, I felt comfortable boarding out a Jace and going more on the SFM-Equipment-TNN plan which typically trumps decks that are running TNN (he brought in 2 postboard), but no equipment. I cut a Counterspell in favor of having access to 2 Supreme Verdict as RUG Delver can sometimes get the nut hand with 1-3 threats on board while gripping 4 counterspells.

Against Sneak & Show, I boarded as such:

-3 True-Name Nemesis, +3 Meddling Mage
    -2 Spell Snare, +2 Swan Song
    -2 Swords to Plowshares, +1 Venser, Shaper Savant, +1 Detention Sphere
    -1 Counterspell, +1 Flusterstorm
    -1 Sword of Fire and Ice, +1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    -1 Supreme Verdict, +1 Disenchant

True-Name Nemesis does nothing in this matchup whereas Meddling Mage comes down a turn earlier and can wreak havoc on Sneak & Show. Spell Snare hits nothing in their deck, whereas Swan Song hits literally every spell of theirs. Venser + Detention Sphere can do work off a Show & Tell or just simply hardcast at the opportune time whereas StPs are mostly dead (I kept 2 just in case of Grizzeldaddy). Flusterstorm does a better job of ending counterwars than Counterspell does and for 1 less mana at that. SoFaF vs. combo is a gimme, so SoFaI came out. And Supreme Verdict is worse than Disenchant vs. a deck that will have Blood Moon, Pithing Needle and Sneak Attack postboard.

Swan Song, Disenchant and SoFaF were MVPs for games 2 and 3. Swan Song countered a Blood Moon (keeping my Karakas turned on) game 2 and SoFaF sealed the deal game 3 as he couldn't keep both combo pieces in hand thanks to the discard trigger. Swan Song was particularly nice as tapping a single mana versus Sneak & Show's 3-4 mana just felt like pure win all the time.

I have a question:

How awesome does it feel to have a True-Name Nemesis equipped with a Sword of Fire and Ice/
    Umezawa's Jitte and then turn that equipped TNN sideways? Is it satisfying? Does it improve the quality of your life?

Is Decay an issue with it being able to blow up non-BS equips?

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

How does it feel to have TNN in the format? Does it crush your soul and make you scream for a ban in your nightmares?

Equipment makes TNN far more deadly, so yes, Decay is a pretty good answer.

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    How does it feel to have TNN in the format? Does it crush your soul and make you scream for a ban in your nightmares?
    Nah, I just Terminus.

Equipment makes TNN far more deadly, so yes, Decay is a pretty good answer.
    But it doesn't remove TNN who can help stall until you get more equipment or another TNN. Just wondering how much we care about Decay.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

@DragoFireheart,

Not especially. Nemesis is merely a means to an end and the way people derive pleasure out of magic is subjective.

Decay is akin to any other piece of removal and the only blowouts are when you desperately need Jitte charges or a Batterskull to gain you some life. Just like most removal, this deck is designed to care very little about it. Losing an equipment is generally a trade in your favor anyways because you got that piece of equipment for free in the first place.

By the tone of your post you seem to be a bit flustered by Nemesis in general and attribute its degeneracy to the players that play this card. The card is powerful and legal. If this fact somehow makes you enjoy Magic less, the game remains Magic nonetheless.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    Decay is akin to any other piece of removal and the only blowouts are when you desperately need Jitte charges or a Batterskull to gain you some life. Just like most removal, this deck is designed to care very little about it. Losing an equipment is generally a trade in your favor anyways because you got that piece of equipment for free in the first place.
    True, but a Squire is not impressive.

I consider it a roughly even trade, but I was curios about the impact of losing equipment for your TNNs. I know pre-TNN it felt sorta bad to have your jitte blown up after fetching it with SFM.

By the tone of your post you seem to be a bit flustered by Nemesis in general and attribute its degeneracy to the players that play this card. The card is powerful and legal. If this fact somehow makes you enjoy Magic less, the game remains Magic nonetheless.
    I'm more frustrated about not having any. Waiting for WotC to make up its mind.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

What does the DCI have to make up its mind about?

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    What does the DCI have to make up its mind about?
    Whether to not ban it and force me to spend 30+ on a single or to ban it and likely give me a 50%+ discount for table-top trolling/Vintage TNN deck.

A Fish that can chump most of MUDs creatures in Vintage is pretty cool.

Thread Information