Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds

Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds

OK so first of all, this will never be a tier 1 deck, just something for fun. A long time ago I built a really bad bird deck because I thought Soulcatchers' Aerie was the greatest thing ever. Now I want to make it somewhat good. Here's my list so far:

Creatures (20)
    4 Soulcatcher
    4 Squadron Hawk
    4 Welkin Hawk
    4 Aven Mimeomancer
    4 Augury Owl

Spells (20)
    4 Soulcatchers' Aerie
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

Lands (20)
    4 Tundra
    5 Plains
    3 Islands
    8 fetches

Brainstorm, Ponder, Augury Owl, and Enlightened Tutor are to fine Soulcatchers' Aerie more reliably and to a lesser extent Aether Vial.

Welkin Hawk and Squadron Hawk are there so i can flood the board with as many birds as possible so i can chump block with them and get counters on soulcatchers' aerie.

Soulcatcher is like soulcatchers' aerie number 5-8 except it only works on itself.

Aven Mimeomancer is awesome. It can give your birds +2/+0 or turn opposing goyfs or tombstalkers or even emrakul into little 3/1 flyers (sadly they get to keep there other abilities so tiny emrakul still has ahnialator 6)

I want to add adaptave automation but I don't know what to cut for it.

Thoughts?

bruizar

Re: Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds

This deck looks like a lot of fun. I'd replace Ponder or Soulcatcher.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

This looks like a perfect deck for Pride of the Clouds. Not only does it make birds, but it gets big because all of your creatures have flying. It also gives you a second late game card (Squadron Hawk is your other lots of mana play). The deck looks like fun!

Equipment is always possible...but how do those tiny birds hold such huge swords in their beaks?
    InfoNinjas

Apr 2007
    São Paulo - Brazil

You should run Kangee, Aerie Keeper
    Last edited by Jander78; 07-13-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: fixed tags

Thanks for the input!

Yea I think ponder will be then one to go for automation.

Pride of the clouds looks like it could be a good early beater, to bad its not a bird lol. I think its focast ability is really slow tho. It could be useful in control matchups.

I looked and Kanee and decided against it because it is just sooooooooo expensive. You need to pay 7 just to get +1/+1. One thing I just realized tho, is that it says feather counters, so would the counters from aven mimeomancer count?

Oh man, I just realized I forgot about Seasde Haven that should be a 4 of in this deck

Jun 2009
    Germany

You should definatly play Seaside Haven as you can chumplock and draw with it and in combination with Welkin Hawk it looks really good. Soulcatcher looks very slow. I think he's the first choice to cut for Adaptive Automaton.

Perilous Research could be good here.
    Puts a bird in the graveyard and nets you some card advantage too.

Doesn't look like there is currently much of a way to capitalize on the bird death stuff.
    Hill Giant means business.

Quote Originally Posted by kusumoto View Post
    Doesn't look like there is currently much of a way to capitalize on the bird death stuff.
    Nope, just Soulcathers' Aeire. But that's pretty damn good.

What do you guys think about adding a Mistveil Plains or 2. Since its a plains you can fetch it and it means unlimited Welkin Hawks lol.

I think you missunderstood me there.

You have three different cards totaling in 12 slots that benefit from birds going to your graveyard.

The thing is, that isn't going to happen much. They will rarely see combat, since little in Legacy flies.

The idea with Perilous Research would be to force the issue. Kill a bird and pump the others/draw cards.

I think the Aerie is going to look pretty bland when birds aren't dying.
    Hill Giant means business.

ah I see my bad, perilous research is defentaly good to put birds in the graveyard.

My thinking is that since a lot of decks attack with creatures to win, using the birds as chump blockers both stalls a little and triggers Aerie

Why not run Suntail Hawk? It's not very impressive, but it'll increase your early game-bird count.

Mar 2009
    usa illinois

no aven Aven Mindcensor

Feb 2011
    Lisbon

Quote Originally Posted by jlagrav View Post
    I looked and Kanee and decided against it because it is just sooooooooo expensive. You need to pay 7 just to get +1/+1. One thing I just realized tho, is that it says feather counters, so would the counters from aven mimeomancer count?
    they do but it is still too slow and it's probably the worst use of the mimeomancer

on another note where is the removal? swords/path should go in

and you have to add green for zoodiac rooster it's a freaking plainswalker!!

Suntail Hawk is kinda just blah. Its cheep but that's all it has going for it.

Aven Mindcensor is useful but I don't know what I would cut for it, same goes for swords/path. I need to do some more testing, but I think I'm going to drop soulcatcher and ponder for adaptive automation and some combination of swords, mindcensor and perilous research.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by cosme View Post
    they do but it is still too slow and it's probably the worst use of the mimeomancer

on another note where is the removal? swords/path should go in

and you have to add green for zoodiac rooster it's a freaking plainswalker!!
    I asked this a while ago on #mtgrules and they said that those feather counters are different from other feather counters.

Battle Screech seems like a natural inclusion, since all your creatures are flying a card like Moat or Magus of the Moat could be pretty strong too.

Me? Aggro Player.
    Nov 2010
    Portugal

Mirror Entity could be a nice finisher, like in most tribals that lack good Lords.
    Burn

Pox

Affinity

Aggro Elves

BW Control

Sep 2010
    France

there is a "bird" lord, Soraya the Falconer. A banding lord in top of that.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Firefraise View Post
    there is a "bird" lord, Soraya the Falconer. A banding lord in top of that.
    Banding is actually pretty useful once you understand how it works.

Thread Information