Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 88th at GP Amsterdam - A lesson in choosing your deck + LOTS of content

Aug 2011
    New York City

Re: 88th at GP Amsterdam - A lesson in choosing your deck + LOTS of content

Really great large-scale report. Epic Daigo parry vid as well, a true classic.

PS: Pretty sure Bayern is the second best footy team in the world.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Epic. Solid Play, Analysis, and Humor. A+

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Julian,
    Nice finish and nice report! I'm sorry we didn't get to playtest reanimator, but it's a very wise decision that you didn't play High Tide. I believe the only reason High Tide did well was that people didn't know how to play against it when it first came out. Now, it is too fragile and 1 Surgical Extraction or Extirpate on High Tide shuts down the deck. 2 quick questions. I noticed Thrun is a staple in the European builds, often finding his way into the maindeck. The most I've ever done is include Thrun in the board and currently, I don't even have him in there. He seems to have performed well for you and I was wondering your thoughts on when he was appropriate. Always? Secondly, could you comment a little about your sideboard. How did it perform? What, if anything, would you change? You decided not to go with the toolbox/enlightened tutor package. Why not?
    Thanks,
    W_W

Just wanted to add I played against an interesting version of High Tide a few days ago online - runs 4 Snaps, 4 Cloud of Faeries and 4 Snapcaster Mage. We played 2 games and he won both of them - each time, I was killed by Brain Freeze and never saw a Time Spiral or BSZ. Also, he played no fetchlands, sleight of hand, no brainstorm (guess it makes sense without fetchlands), turnabout and cunning wish. That's about all I saw, but it worked. Turn 4-5 he went off each game. I managed to land Teeg game 1 - didn't matter much, as Turnabout was the only card I saw that it stopped - by the time he was ready to play turnabout, teeg was bounced. Game 2, I got down Canonist and Choke, but he bounced Canonist with Snap eot (negating Choke) and then comboed off - I just couldn't get a quick enough clock.
    His basic plan was make a land drop each of the first 4-5 turns, playing Sleight of Hand, Preordain, Merchant Scroll and Cunning Wish to build his hand. Then, High Tide, Snapcaster and replay it, Snap, return Snapcaster and untap two lands, Replay Snapcaster and replay Snap, bouncing Snapcaster and untapping lands, play Cloud of Faeries, untapping lands, play Meditate, etc., etc. and Brain Freeze for storm 50.
    There is a good post describing this deck by flrn here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...darity/page115 - read the top post of the page
    Last edited by Water_Wizard; 11-01-2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: thought of some more stuff

Oct 2010
    Moscow

Julian,
    here our photo http://pics.livejournal.com/detina_bart/pic/00013h7y
    it is amazing, because i often saw you here, but i didn't know, that "Julian23"- that is you
    very good report. i think next time you will be at top8 for sure (=
    and thanks for Wald. a great gift
    that Sergey from Russia

Nov 2011
    South Bend, IN

What a great report! Thanks for posting!

Thread Information