Page 119 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119
Results 2,361 to 2,375 of 2375

Thread: [Deck] U/R Delver

Dec 2016
    Toronto Canada

Re: [Deck] U/R Delver

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsrocket_27 View Post
    I'm still running 4 delver, 4 swiftspear, 3 chaser, 2 pyromancer, 1 reveler. I haven't been happy with pyromancers either, so they'll probably get cut as well.
    @Oldsrocket, out of curiosity could you explain why you haven't been particularly happy with Young Pyromancer.

Personally I think that the Pyromancer is too slow at producing a large damage output and is very frail in comparison to other theats. He also falls into the same trap that Bedlam Reveler falls into. It can be clunky and screw your entire game plan up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    I tap all 5 of my lands on my turn. He's like....OMG not Shriekmaw. I land Batterskull. He's like. Ok sure. LOL, not very often someone is more happy to see Batterskull then a Shriekmaw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManWithaPlan View Post
    @Oldsrocket, out of curiosity could you explain why you haven't been particularly happy with Young Pyromancer.

Personally I think that the Pyromancer is too slow at producing a large damage output and is very frail in comparison to other theats. He also falls into the same trap that Bedlam Reveler falls into. It can be clunky and screw your entire game plan up.
    He usually takes too long to get going and deals too little damage, all while being more vulnerable than stormchaser. Even if I cast him t2 and snap off a probe right away, I usually can't attack with him or the token next turn without trading them off or just losing them, and in subsequent turns the extra 1/1's never seem to matter against a stuff like deathrite, stoneforge, thalia, swiftspear, goyf, etc. I'd rather just drop a hasty evasive threat and try to burn my opponent out as quick as I can without worrying as much about blockers.

I have been playing this deck since February and since then have had a bunch of success with the deck in the Toronto area. I could definitely help with a matchup guide. I am not up to much as of late and I think I can offer some help.

@paradigm72, that's one SWEET looking deck you got there. Totally not jealous at all (Sarcasm!). I like your build, excluding Bedlam Reveler is a choice I have also made. Out of curiosity why did you exclude it? Also play Winter Orb in you sideboard, you will not be disappointed.
    Would you mind sharing your Bedlam-less build?

Dec 2016
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by koten View Post
    Would you mind sharing your Bedlam-less build?
    Land(16)
    2x Flooded Strand
    3x Island
    3x Misty Rainforest
    1x Mountain
    4x Scalding Tarn
    3x Volcanic Island
    Sorcery(12)
    4x Chain Lightning
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Ponder
    Instant(18)
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Daze
    4x Force of Will
    4x Lightning Bolt
    2x Price of Progress
    Creature(14)
    4x Delver of Secrets
    1x Grim Lavamancer
    4x Monastery Swiftspear
    4x Stormchaser Mage
    1x True-Name Nemesis
    Sideboard(15)
    1x Blood Moon
    1x Flusterstorm
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Price of Progress
    2x Pyroblast
    2x Relic of Progenitus
    1x Rough/Tumble
    2x Smash to Smithereens
    1x Sulfuric Vortex
    2x Surgical Extraction
    1x Winter Orb

This is my current list. It is built to be the very fast with consideration for games going later in True-Name Nemesis. I am playing today and probably playing U/R Delver or Reanimator.
    Sadly not the GP all the sadness
    Last edited by TheManWithaPlan; 01-07-2017 at 07:26 PM.
    I tap all 5 of my lands on my turn. He's like....OMG not Shriekmaw. I land Batterskull. He's like. Ok sure. LOL, not very often someone is more happy to see Batterskull then a Shriekmaw.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Little update: TheManWithaPlan, Paradigm72, and I are writing a new primer. The main focus wil be on aggro-tempo U/R Delver (or UR Prowess). We'll keep you posted!
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Mar 2016
    Austria

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    Little update: TheManWithaPlan, Paradigm72, and I are writing a new primer. The main focus wil be on aggro-tempo U/R Delver (or UR Prowess). We'll keep you posted!
    If you still need some help, just send me a pm.

Sep 2013
    Madison, WI

Here's a U/R list from GP Louisville that I saw from Emma Handy (77th place, 11-4):
    https://twitter.com/Em_TeeGee/status/818197465556013056

It's the 3 Stormchaser / 2 Reveler list that's been popular on MTGO. Looks we didn't get anybody into the top 32 .

Aug 2013
    Valparaiso, Chile

i build this deck, i'm a burn player, but this deck is very funny. i have a little testing but i have the feeling i'm missing some important basic thing like the order of the spells or initial hand.

i have the same main deck https://twitter.com/Em_TeeGee/status/818197465556013056

will you help me to improve?

Dec 2016
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Gaudy View Post
    i build this deck, i'm a burn player, but this deck is very funny. i have a little testing but i have the feeling i'm missing some important basic thing like the order of the spells or initial hand.

i have the same main deck https://twitter.com/Em_TeeGee/status/818197465556013056

will you help me to improve?
    Remember that this deck is not a Burn deck. I myself played a good amount of Burn and the two decks are very different. In Burn you want the vast majority of your Chain Lightnings and Lightning Bolts to go to your opponent's face, where as in U/R Delver these are used more often as removal spells. Burn is a deck that mostly deals damage with spells. U/R Delver wants to mostly deal damage with creatures.

With opening hands, and I still encounter this myself from time to time, you want to avoid hands that have burn spells as their only source of damage. I have kept hands with 3 Lightning Bolt effects and handily lost the game. You want to look for threats or cantrips to find your threats in your opening hand. The reason for this being that U/R Delver plays to the board and needs threats to progress its game plan.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

What you want and what you have to do are two different things. Of course you want Bolts to go upstairs...sometimes you just have to remove a blocker from the board. That's the same for Burn though. It's just that Burn has more of those effects.

Aug 2013
    Valparaiso, Chile

Remember that this deck is not a Burn deck. I myself played a good amount of Burn and the two decks are very different. In Burn you want the vast majority of your Chain Lightnings and Lightning Bolts to go to your opponent's face, where as in U/R Delver these are used more often as removal spells. Burn is a deck that mostly deals damage with spells. U/R Delver wants to mostly deal damage with creatures.

With opening hands, and I still encounter this myself from time to time, you want to avoid hands that have burn spells as their only source of damage. I have kept hands with 3 Lightning Bolt effects and handily lost the game. You want to look for threats or cantrips to find your threats in your opening hand. The reason for this being that U/R Delver plays to the board and needs threats to progress its game plan.
    that is part of my problem! frequently i let my opponent kill my creatures (or keeping a burn oriented hand) thinking in the burns spell remainder in my deck, i should protected it in a more fierice way

Dec 2016
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Gaudy View Post
    that is part of my problem! frequently i let my opponent kill my creatures (or keeping a burn oriented hand) thinking in the burns spell remainder in my deck, i should protected it in a more fierice way
    You should only fight over creature removal if you don't have reliable backup in the form of more creatures or cantrips to find creatures.

Sep 2013
    Madison, WI

Agree with TheManWithAPlan here - you probably don't want to 2-for-1 yourself by Forcing removal on your creature, assuming you are playing 13+ and have a way to dig for another one.

On exception might be against Death and Taxes if you have a flipped Delver and are on the play - sometimes I find that playing a "protect the queen" strategy and FoWing a Swords to Plowshares there is correct if you think you can reasonably race them, and you have a way to protect against air blockers like Flickerwisp (e.g. they have no Vial and you have a few burn spells to control their creatures).

Aug 2014
    New Jersey

Realized I had the cards for this on MTGO and 5-0's a league. Raced a turn 1 Animate Dead Sire. Apparently a flipped Delver and 3 bolts in a row is enough to race. Also beat Eldrazi, Nic Fits, 4c Delver, and Burn. Ran a Set Adrift and 2nd Dismember over Submerge and another fetch over 4th Volcanic (since I didn't own 4). Deck is sweet!

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

New primer is up! Thanks to TheManWithaPlan and Paradigm72, for their help, you are all invited to discuss in the new thread
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Thread Information