Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FREE Insider: I’m Wrong and So Are You – 5 Rules for Avoiding the Prerelease Poison

Your Friend
    Apr 2011
    Minnesota

FREE Insider: I’m Wrong and So Are You – 5 Rules for Avoiding the Prerelease Poison

FREE Insider: I’m Wrong and So Are You – 5 Rules for Avoiding the Prerelease Poison

Entreat the Angels shot up this weekend before this article went up, but what do you guys think of Zealous Conscripts being another sleeper?

Re: FREE Insider: I’m Wrong and So Are You – 5 Rules for Avoiding the Prerelease Pois

I dunno about Zealous Conscripts being a sleeper, but I agree completely with the article.

I haven't pre-ordered anything. I'll wait for prices to stop fluctuating. I might think Temporal Mastery is/will be broken at some point, but I'm not dropping $40.00 on it until I know it's actually worth spending that much money.

Re: FREE Insider: I’m Wrong and So Are You – 5 Rules for Avoiding the Prerelease Pois

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    I dunno about Zealous Conscripts being a sleeper, but I agree completely with the article.

I haven't per-ordered anything. I'll wait for prices to stop fluctuating. I might think Temporal Mastery is/will be broken at some point, but I'm not dropping $40.00 on it until I know it's actually worth spending that much money.
    If TM is as all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips as people are saying it is, bannings will happen and its price will drop like a rock. It's not exactly playable in any other format.
    Last edited by Aggro_zombies; 05-01-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Grammar.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Not sure which format Zealous Conscripts is meant to be a "sleeper" in, seems a decent guy to turn a ground stall into an alpha strike in Limited but that's it. (i also suck exceptionally badly in limited so never listen to me)

I like the article though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    If TM is as all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips as people are saying it is, bannings will happen and its price will drop like a rock. It's not exactly playable in any other formats.
    Exactly. If it turns out to be crap, wasted money. If it turns out to be too good and gets banned, wasted money.

I suspect it will see some Vintage play, but otherwise meh.

Exactly. If it turns out to be crap, wasted money. If it turns out to be too good and gets banned, wasted money.

I suspect it will see some Vintage play, but otherwise meh.
    You only get one Brainstorm in that format, which seems like a dealbreaker when compared to the original Time Walk. Also, if you're Time Walking in Vintage, don't you just win? How often do you take an extra turn in that format for tempo reasons?

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

I preordered 4 Griselbrand for 7 dollar each. I think its a fair deal in any way. And on the top of that itll be a 4of in my deck for the GP so yeah....

But in any way - I agree with this article aswell :)
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

You only get one Brainstorm in that format, which seems like a dealbreaker when compared to the original Time Walk. Also, if you're Time Walking in Vintage, don't you just win? How often do you take an extra turn in that format for tempo reasons?
    It might be worth using other cards to set it up in Vintage since having 5 time walks could be appealing. Also, using tops to cast it on the opponents turn can be interesting. They also run jace, so it isn't too horrible.

They have scroll rack too, and enough artifact mana to potentially use it.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

I dunno, buying that set of Jaces for $60 seemed like a pretty good idea. i'm happy with it. Also Liliana's for $80 has been doing pretty well for me.

I'd actually give you some different advice. Unless you know that a card will completely blow Standard apart, never, ever, buy a card that isn't good in Legacy. I don't see Zealous Conscripts as being good in anything, and honestly buying cards for $0.75 and selling for $1.99 is more of a waste of time than it's worth, unless you somehow bought in bulk and sold in bulk (very, very unlikely). Cards that don't hold in value are things to stay away from in both the long term (obvious reasons) and the short term (if it really isn't that great of a card then speculation is the only reason prices would be driven up. Power creep is a thing, so if the card isn't good by legacy standards then it probably isn't even worth getting to begin with. If that's the case then you don't want to get on the unlucky side of speculation).

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    They have scroll rack too, and enough artifact mana to potentially use it.
    Yeah. I could forsee some Key-Vault deck with enough library manipulation setting up a shit turn of extra turns to get the combo out.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Not sure which format Zealous Conscripts is meant to be a "sleeper" in
    Standard. See, Ramp decks are expected to dominate after AVR rotates in, and Zealous Conscripts steals Primeval Titans like a boss...

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by DLifshitz View Post
    Standard. See, Ramp decks are expected to dominate after AVR rotates in, and Zealous Conscripts steals Primeval Titans like a boss...
    In addition, Conscripts (cast off Cavern of Souls, why not) stealing a Gideon that was +2'ed last turn, and swinging with said Gideon.

I'm not saying the card is great or even good, but it does have some potential metagame applications.
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

It might be worth using other cards to set it up in Vintage since having 5 time walks could be appealing. Also, using tops to cast it on the opponents turn can be interesting. They also run jace, so it isn't too horrible.
    Why are you durdling with setting up five Time Walks when you can get infinite Time Walks with Key + Time Vault? It seems like the level of setup you'd need puts you into the, "I might as well just play a better combo and then play some counter-hate cards to make it work" zone.

EDIT: Stealing a Prime Time with Conscripts seems not that great. I'm not sure how aggro you are if you're playing a five-drop in your red deck, but once they cast the Titan and get Nexus + Wolf Run, what are you doing to top that? Hitting them for nine and getting your own Nexus + Wolf Run? Or two Mountains? I guess it could be a sideboard card, but Act of Aggression is still a card.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTrudeau View Post
    In addition, Conscripts (cast off Cavern of Souls, why not) stealing a Gideon that was +2'ed last turn, and swinging with said Gideon.
    Plus, Reanimator and Heartless Summoning decks have got some new toys now... So, yeah, it's going to show up in sideboards probably.

Why are you durdling with setting up five Time Walks when you can get infinite Time Walks with Key + Time Vault?
    You would take the extra turns to set up your Key-Vault combo.

You would take the extra turns to set up your Key-Vault combo.
    This seems like way too much effort. Why not just get the original Time Walk and do it that way? Do you really need two or three extra turns to get your combo online? And if you do, is it really worth using a card that is dead in your opening hand, requires one (or several) of your one-of tutors to set up, and then doesn't actually win you the game when it resolves and you take your extra turn?

The effort to reward ratio seems very out of whack here. Plus, if you need multiple turns in a row to get Time-Key working, I would suspect you're fighting through hate, in which case you'd be better off using draw and tutors to find counter-hate cards like Ancient Grudge rather than seeing how many turns in a row you can take without winning.

I think he means more having the redundancy of 4 extra Time Walks in your deck could get you to the combo.

Temporal Mastery with Mystical Tutor and Vampiric Tutor seems pretty intense, but aren't there just better cards to tutor for in those scenarios? I mean, if you're setting up a win the following turn or searching for something that will generate you card advantage, it doesn't seem like Mastery - albeit cute with cards like those - still isn't the optimal strategy in most instances.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

I wanted to pick of 2 copies of EtA but not at 20$. I pulled a terminus and devastation tide at the prerelease and a gisela but nothing else really of worth.

Thread Information