Thread: Grafdigger's Cage and interactions

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Grafdigger's Cage and interactions

(Sorry in advance cdr, but the Meandeck MUD thread is quite dead)

I have a couple scenarios concerning Grafdigger's Cage that need clarification. Here they are:

1) I have Kuldotha Forgemaster, Grafdigger's Cage and a Great Furnace on the field. If I activate Forgemaster sacrificing itself, Grafdigger's Cage and the Great Furnace; can I search a Wurmcoil Engine to be put onto the field?

2) I have the three above mentioned artifacts, Mox Opal and Spine of Ish Sah on the field. I activated Forgemaster sacrificing itself, the artifact land and Mox Opal to search for Phyrexian Metamorph. Can Phyrexian Metamorph enter the field copying Spine of Ish Sah while Grafdigger's Cage is on the field?

3) I have Grafdigger's Cage and Goblin Welder on the field and Sundering Titan in the graveyard. If I activate Goblin Welder and switch Grafdigger's Cage with Sundering Titan, would it resolve/work?

Thanks in advance!
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Re: Grafdigger's Cage and interactions

I am not a judge but I've stalked rules boards for years. If I'm wrong someone please correct me and I'll edit this post.

It's my understanding that static effects either apply (if they are on the field) or they do not, and there's no specific event in the game that checks this like SBA's or triggers.

If you reanimate Platinum Emperion, you put it on the battlefield, then "try" to lose 8 life, but because it's already out there you can't.

This is different than casting a Wheel of Fortune with Aeon Chronicler out and it won't die because SBA's are checked after the spell resolves fully.

So to answer your questions:

1) Yes, since you sacrificed the Cage as a cost, it will most definitely work. It would also work if Forgemaster said, "Tap: Sacrifice three artifacts. If you do, tinker."

2) No. Since the Cage is out, no creature [card] can enter the battlefield from the library. The Metamorph will only get to apply its replacement effect if it was legal for it to enter the battlefield to begin with.

3) (Not quite correct, not an exchange)
    Last edited by cdr; 02-20-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: edits

Sep 2009
    Michigan, US

1) The cage is not in play at the time this ability resolves, so it works.
    2) The Metamorph won't come into play. Perhaps I can't read, but I'm unsure as to why this case is any different than any other.
    3) Goblin Welder's ability will resolve. It will cause you to sacrifice the Grafdigger's Cage, but due to the "simultaneously" wording you will NOT return an artifact from the graveyard.

cdr/someone should check me on this last one.

Sep 2009
    Michigan, US

The one that I like is:

Gravedigger's Cage in play.
    I cast Animate Dead on Iona. Animate Dead resolves, and triggers, but can't put Iona into play. Then Animate Dead falls off because it's now a "Enchant creature put onto the battlefield by Animate Dead."

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    (Sorry in advance cdr, but the Meandeck MUD thread is quite dead)
    Rules questions are always appropriate here, just not strategy discussion - assuming you're referring to my recent reminders, which were targeted at other posters.

The above answers are mostly correct in spirit if not entirely in details.

1) When a permanent generating a continuous effect leaves the battlefield, the effect immediately ends. Unless the Cage leaving and what it was preventing are part of the same atomic action (in the same sentence), the Cage's effect is gone and it's not preventing anything.

2) The Metamorph is a creature card in the library, so it can't ETB or be cast. ETB-replacement effects (like copying) happen as part of the card ETBing - the Cage puts a stop to things before we get to that point.

3) Goblin Welder doesn't use "exchange" anymore, interestingly, which has its own rules. It says "Choose target artifact a player controls and target artifact card in that player's graveyard. If both targets are still legal as this ability resolves, that player simultaneously sacrifices the artifact and returns the artifact card to the battlefield."

Since both targets are legal at resolution, the Cage will simultaneously be sacrificed and the other artifact will not be returned - since the sacrifice and return are part of the same atomic action, the Cage's effect is still applying when the other artifact would be returned.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Okay. Thanks cdr.

I guess I can't pull of the tricks I want to with Grafdigger's Cage.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Thread Information