Page 193 of 243 FirstFirst ... 93143183189190191192193194195196197203 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,860 of 4851

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Quote Originally Posted by Drake0525 View Post
    Hey everyone! I took MUD to the LGS for the first time, went 2-1. Only 3 rounds unfortunately, but it wasn't a bad night.

I took a nasty loss to BUG in round one - Sower of Temptation is one nasty card. The deck didn't exactly fizzle, but it really didn't put up much of a fight in game 1, game 2 he managed to kill every threat I deployed before destroying Staff of Domination with Abrupt Decay, then drawing into 2 Sower of Temptation - he stole my Kuldotha and my Lodestone Golem. 0-2.

Round 2 against Pox, I mull to 4 looking for land, lose game one. Game 2, I open with chalice, then deploy Grim Monolith-Metalworker - Wurmcoil. Win. Game 3, I open with City-Monolith-Monolith-Lodestone Golem. I beat down with Golem, and never find enough land to untap the Monoliths and cast another threat. Still won though. 2-1

Round 3 was against Infect. I grind her down to 7 with Metalworker attacks in game one, she lands an ink moth and attacks for game before I can put it away. I never drew any threats except Kuldotha, which got FOWed (no cavern). Game 2 and 3 I open with Chalice, and grind out careful wins with Ugin. Yes, Platinum Angel did work in game 2, game 3 we went to time (she was playing a little slow), I won on turn 5 with a Wurmcoil and an active Ugin.

Conclusions: I like the deck! It's a blast to play! There are a few things though:
    - Blightsteel is an awful topdeck, he's gotta come out. I drew into him G1 against BUG, and Game 1 against Pox, couldn't cast him either time, lost both games, sided him out all night. I can run a different threat in its place, one that doesn't raise the curve quite so high in a Wasteland-heavy meta. I'll puzzle that one out after I've slept on it.

- I really think Lightning Greaves wants to be a 2 of.

- Bug is a real problem. The deck got off to a rocky start, this is true, but Bug has a lot of angles of attack, how do you guys cope with that matchup?
    Regarding Blightsteel: It can sometimes be a bummer to draw him, but that is a card that if you play enough matches, you will begin to appreciate what he brings to the table. I tried the list without it, it wasn't great. Nothing else can so reliably one shot someone or change the dynamic of the game the way that card can. This deck can be vulnerable to its own internal inconsistencies, it just comes with the territory, and sometimes BSC is just a dead card, but for what he does I choose to just deal. I side out Blightsteel in some situations, but not because I am worried about the topdecks, it'll be because the other guy plays too many dudes for him to be a 1 turn clock, or because I am morphing to a more control configuration that tries to just remove remove remove and win the longer game or something like that.

Regarding Bug: I'm not sure where you are playing, but I don't think I've seen Sower of Temptation played in any of the large events in the northeast US over the last 2 years. I would disregard that outcome. BUG has a lot more variety within the archetype than many decks I think, the sideboarding depends a lot on what I see, because the planeswalker mix, even the creature mix to some degree, has some variety to it. Warping Wail is something I would leave in against some BUG lists and remove against others, depending on whether I saw Vendillion Clique or not. Ratchet Bomb vs Revoker is another choice that gets made based on what I see.

Regarding Greaves: When I first started playing this deck, I relied heavily on chalice and trinisphere. I had a hard time winning without those cards, and this was because I was new and not really playing all that well. Over time, as I learned the deck better, I broke my reliance on these cards. This may not be the case with you, but I could totally see how having extra greaves would be appealing: you get to protect your dude and go off faster, its a safety net basically. This may not be you, but thats my guess. As you get better at deciding what to keep and what not to keep, you will likely find that having an extra threat is much better than having an extra greaves, that does nothing on its own. I've been playing this deck for 1.5-2 years now, against everything you can think of, never with more than 1 greaves in the 75. It can be done!

Jan 2016
    Italy

On the other hand, the more I played blightsteel colossus, the more I hated it.
    You have more than 10% having it in your opening hand, and without brainstorm or looting effect is a big mess.
    Furthermore is not a win condition as it would look like. Delver may simply chumpblock with shaman and win the race, miracles has swords to plowshares and terminus, bg decks may force you to sacrifice it with liliana (it's a MU when almost everything you have is discarded or destroyed, supposing you have forgemastered it you lost another 2 cards and this option is not as fantamagic as it could sound).
    I appreciate much more sundering titan or wurmcoil because even if resolved they still made impact on the board (armageddon or 2 3/3).
    Of course there are games when you will curse youreself for not playing it, but they'll be even more times you will curse yourself for not having cutted that cc 12 IMHO.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Gnagno View Post
    You have more than 10% having it in your opening hand, and without brainstorm or looting effect is a big mess.
    Furthermore is not a win condition as it would look like. Delver may simply chumpblock with shaman and win the race, miracles has swords to plowshares and terminus, bg decks may force you to sacrifice it with liliana (it's a MU when almost everything you have is discarded or destroyed, supposing you have forgemastered it you lost another 2 cards and this option is not as fantamagic as it could sound).
    I appreciate much more sundering titan or wurmcoil because even if resolved they still made impact on the board (armageddon or 2 3/3).
    Of course there are games when you will curse youreself for not playing it, but they'll be even more times you will curse yourself for not having cutted that cc 12 IMHO.
    I completely agree: I prefer having another fatty (possibly a second copy of sundering titan or a platinum emperion) than the blighsteel since it feels good only if it has haste but, as Rikter said, multiple copies of graves are just bad.
    Ignorance is strength

Liklihood of having BSC in the opener is 12%, give or take some rounding. But having it in your opener isn't an automatic issue, as there are plenty of hands that will allow you to hard cast it in a reasonable amount of time.

Sure, there are situations where delver can chump and win the race, but aside from Wurmcoil engine the same can be said about any of your threats really and he already has 4 Wurmcoils. Two attacks with BSC are going to win most games, it's hard to have enough toughness to withstand two attacks. Yeah, swords and terminus are things, but nothing is unanswerable. I worry less about Liliana forcing a sacrifice because if they even have the opportunity to do that something has gone wrong.

I'm not gonna say its wrong to not play BSC, but in my experience the benefits outweigh the feel bads.

Jan 2015
    Austin, TX

If I were to cut Blightsteel Colossus, what would you recommend running in its place?

Myr Battlesphere is interesting, good for situations where I need a lot of bodies on the field, or opposite something like Liliana of the Veil. I also haven't worked Sundering Titan into my 75 yet, this could be a good time to do that.

If I were to cut Blightsteel Colossus, what would you recommend running in its place?

Myr Battlesphere is interesting, good for situations where I need a lot of bodies on the field, or opposite something like Liliana of the Veil. I also haven't worked Sundering Titan into my 75 yet, this could be a good time to do that.
    Either of those would be fine, though I would lean towards titan.

Battlesphere can be good against BUG just because he resists both Lilly and Jace and hits hard, but Titan is also good against them as well for similar reasons. The 1/1s off Battlesphere are less relevant as blockers than it may appear unless you are against Gryxis. Against elves you just get trampled over, against Goyf decks you probably wind up gang blocking anyways to kill the Goyf so Titan can be better because he pressures them via land destruction, can't be killed by Goyf alone and will kill many Goyfs. In many situations its better to have the single fatty and blow up lands than it is the multiple blockers. Titan is much better against miracles, because it does something when it gets Terminused.

Mar 2016
    Calgary, AB

Last week I played MUD for Thursday Night Legacy at Phoenix Comics in Calgary. Here's a short report:

1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    1 Sundering Titan
    2 Wurmcoil Engine
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Metalworker
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Vesuva
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Platinum Emperion
    4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Staff of Domination
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    3 Lightning Greaves
    1 Staff of Nin
    4 Wasteland
    SB: 1 Platinum Angel
    SB: 2 Warping Wail
    SB: 3 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1 Duplicant
    SB: 1 Orbs of Warding
    SB: 2 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 2 Wurmcoil Engine
    SB: 1 Spine of Ish Sah
    SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb

Round 1: Stefan - Reanimator

I lose the die roll.
    Game 1: He has double Careful Study and FoW backup, but never finds a reanimation spell. Meanwhile, I'm able to land both Sundering Titan and Blightsteel Colossus. (1-0)
    Game 2: He mulls to 4 or 5, keeping a hand with a scried Lotus Petal as his only mana source. I keep a hand with the option of CoT into CotV, but opt not to in order to ensure a steady stream of threats. He Entombs a Sire of Insanity in response to my second turn CotV, but I follow up with Tormod's Crypt, Trinisphere, and a chain of Lodestone Golems before he has any chance of recovery. (2-0)
    (1-0-0)

Round 2: Jordan - Venser Miracles

I lose the die roll.
    Game 1: He FoW’s my CotV, StP’s my first Metalworker, and establishes the Counter-Top lock with Entreat the Angels to stop my Trinisphere and second Metalworker. While I pray for a useful topdeck, he continues to develop his board position with Snapcaster Mage and JtMS, eventually closing out the game with a pack of angels. (0-1)
    Game 2: I mull to 5 and fail to stick a single lock piece or threat all game thanks to his double FoW (I believe he mentioned having a third in hand), Counterspell, Snapcaster Mage, and topdeck Terminus. My own Ancient Tombs bring me low enough that all he needs are a few swings with Snapcaster Mage to finish me off. (0-2)
    (1-1-0)

Round 3: Steven - BUG Delver

I lose the die roll.
    Game 1: He opens with DRS. I open with CotV, which he promptly Dazes. I follow up with Trinisphere a turn later, but he has LotV and Tarmogoyf which close out the game before I can break the lock. (0-1)
    Game 2: He forgets to side out a Daze, but it pays off when he uses it to counter my second turn CotV. I establish a soft lock with Lodestone Golem and he surrenders when I follow it up with another threat. (1-1)
    Game 3: He opens with DRS. I open with Cloudpost, with Glimmerpost and Trinisphere at the ready for my next turn. Unfortunately, his second turn Hymn to Tourach strips both my Trinisphere and my Metalworker, leaving me with a hand mostly full of threats I can’t cast. My remaining plays only manage to slightly prolong the game and his and Tarmogoyf goes the distance. (1-2)
    (1-2-0)

Round 4: Jerome - BUG Delver

I win the die roll.
    Game 1: I have a slower Cloudpost start into a steady stream of lock pieces and threats, while he has an early Delver of Secrets to chip away at my life total. Eventually it’s his end of turn and I’m at 7 life with Grim Monolith, Trinisphere, Lodestone Golem, and active Kuldotha Forgemaster to his 6 life and tapped Delver of Secrets, untapped Tarmogoyf, and active DRS. I activate Kuldotha Forgemaster, sacrificing everything except Trinisphere and fetching Steel Hellkite to win me the game. (1-0)
    Game 2: My hand full of artifact mana gets locked out by second turn Null Rod followed by multiple Wastelands, and LotV. While I never actually get to do much, the game goes long because he can’t seem to find a threat. I get to 30 life off Glimmerposts, while he manages to ultimate both LotV and JTU (which mills most of my library) before dropping a Tombstalker, which I feel warrants my surrender. (1-1)
    Game 3: This game is a grind in which I do a lot of damage to myself trying to resolve lock pieces and threats. He eventually makes the mistake of casting Delver of Secrets while he has FoW and no other blue cards in hand, which allows me to land Kuldotha Forgemaster. He knocks me down to 4 life, but I tinker in Wurmcoil Engine to recover. He drops a Tarmogoyf, but I topdeck a second Wurmcoil Engine to secure victory. (2-1)
    (2-2-0)

Comments:

-All notes (other than names and life totals) are from memory.
    -All of my opponents were great. In particular, I had blast playing against Jerome, as we were both out of the money and playing for fun.
    -I suck at die rolls. Even the die roll I won was actually a re-roll following a tie.
    -Some of the other decks in the room: Elves, Enchantress (?), Goblins, Grixis Delver, Landstill, Solidarity, Tezzerator, unknown graveyard deck (Tin Fins? Zombardment?), UR Commander Precon.
    -A couple of big mistakes I made were 1) playing Metalworker into Counter-Top despite having just had my Trinisphere countered by it a turn prior and 2) thinking Abrupt Decay is a sorcery. While both mistakes occurred in losses, I don’t think the results would be any different if I hadn’t made them.
    -Lightning Greaves didn’t do anything all night, but I didn’t draw them a whole lot either. Personally, I really like having them in the deck, even if I do side them out more than anything else.
    -Staff of Nin felt like a wasted slot. I like both of its abilities, but its impact doesn’t seem worth the cost. I’ll replace it by siding in a Wurmcoil Engine.
    -Coercive Portal and/or Cavern of Souls might have made the difference in some of the losses.
    -I wanted Contagion Engine in the sideboard, but I forgot to include it in my last order and the store was out of stock.

Jan 2016
    Italy

My forgemaster targets are 1 sundering titan, 4 wurmcoil engine, 1 steel hellkite and 1 spine of ish sah.
    I play only treats they don't rely on kuldotha or metalworker. Most of the time I search for wurmcoil, steel hellkite is the sixth cc6 and you can use it to shot the opponent when you have staff+metalworker instead of colossus.
    I never played battlesphere because against bg (the MU where it's most performant) wurmcoil does a simil job while gaining life in the same time.

Super Secret Tech "Ooh...shiny!"
    Jul 2010
    Edinboro, PA

As far as Blightsteel is concerned, I put it in my sideboard about a year ago because there are a lot of decks where it isn't a one shot kill, and I'll side it in against some decks so that I can have that instant win. I play a Battlesphere in my main because I love how it spews dudes, especially in conjunction with Goblin Welder or Daretti.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Can't understand wanting the new new border if you have a choice, for any reason. You have to be a casual or have rickets.
    Cockatrice: EMFry

Quote Originally Posted by Fry View Post
    As far as Blightsteel is concerned, I put it in my sideboard about a year ago because there are a lot of decks where it isn't a one shot kill, and I'll side it in against some decks so that I can have that instant win. I play a Battlesphere in my main because I love how it spews dudes, especially in conjunction with Goblin Welder or Daretti.
    Do you play ravager in that list? Seems like it would be good

Jul 2010
    Edinboro, PA

No Ravager, but that is an interesting idea... That could be fun with Blightsteel ;)
    Can't understand wanting the new new border if you have a choice, for any reason. You have to be a casual or have rickets.

I would like to share the list i played two weeks ago. In a 60 players tournament...ending 10th.
    Top 8 was too near cause at the end of the swiss (6 rounds) from 7th to 12th had the same points.
    It's a welder version with daretti...

http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=20032&iddeck=152553

Main:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Great Furnace
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    2 Goblin Welder
    4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Metalworker
    1 Platinum Emperion
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Sundering Titan
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Daretti, Scrap Savant
    2 All Is Dust
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Grim Monolith
    2 Lightning Greaves
    1 Trading Post
    2 Warping Wail

Side:
    2 Duplicant
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Spine of Ish Sah
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Trinisphere

Here is a mini report:

1- BGW deadguy ale: 1-1. The 3rd game i needed an extra turn to win...bad luck
    2- Miracles: 2-1. The chalice opening is so good!!!
    3- Eldrazi: 2-1. Closer match. At 1 life all eldrazi tapped and played and topdecked a kuldotha with greaves in play. Colossus enters and win. Platinum Emperion and wurms made me won the 3rd game.
    4- Miracles: 2-0. Chalice and cavern...
    5- Team america: 0-2. Mull to 4 one game. other one perfect hand with wastelands, dazes and a killer goyf...no game.
    6- Team america: 2-0. Cavern and chalice again. 2 Wurm are too much for him. This time luck was in my side. 15min of round, the faster one.

Last time i played MUD in tournament like that i ended 2nd, so the deck is consistent but the worst is mulligans...a lot of mulls as you know!

Daretti is so awesome in this deck. Welder is so good too, when the game seems lost...and with greaves in play

But i have to say that most of the times the win condition was to equip colossus to greaves after searched it with kuldotha

All is dust is a pretty card too i like it in main!

Sorry for my basic english.

Mar 2016
    Calgary, AB

I played MUD for Thursday Night Legacy at Phoenix Comics in Calgary again tonight.

1 Sundering Titan
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Metalworker
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    2 Vesuva
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Platinum Emperion
    4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Staff of Domination
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    3 Lightning Greaves
    4 Wasteland
    2 Cavern of Souls
    SB: 1 Platinum Angel
    SB: 2 Warping Wail
    SB: 3 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1 Duplicant
    SB: 1 Orbs of Warding
    SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 Wurmcoil Engine
    SB: 1 Spine of Ish Sah
    SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb

Round 1: Craig - Grixis Delver

Game 1: He burns me down before I can stabilize. I forgot to factor in the life gain playing Glimmerpost would yield when conceding; combined with the Wurmcoil Engine in hand and the Trinisphere on the board, it may have been enough to stabilize against Young Pyromancer tokens and any remaining burn spells. (0-1)
    Game 2: Ratchet Bomb prevents him from committing too many threats to the board while I try to find some of my own. Both of the Metalworkers I play eat bolts, but that just paves the way for Steel Hellkite to come online. (1-1)
    Game 3: My deck insists on getting both Kuldotha Forgemaster and Wurmcoil Engine into play, while my opponent’s deck refuses to flip Delver of Secrets. (2-1)
    (1-0-0)

Round 2: (I’ll butcher his name if I try to spell it) – Tin Fins

Game 1: I completely lock down the board with CotV and Trinisphere. We both end up in topdeck mode, with me chipping away with a worthless Metalworker, but eventually I find Lodestone Golem and Wurmcoil Engine to seal the deal. (1-0)
    Game 2: He transforms his deck with Monastery Mentors and Stoneforge Mystics. I try to get something going, but get denied. An army of monks beat my face in. (1-1)
    Game 3: I play Trinisphere followed by Metalworker into Platinum Emperion. This should’ve been enough to win the game, but Batterskull and double Stoneforge Mystic keep me at bay until we go to time. On the last turn of overtime, I swing with both Platinum Emperion and Blightsteel Colossus, but he has a blocker and enough life to survive. (1-1-1)
    (1-0-1)

Round 3: Brian – White Weenie

Game 1: I lead with CotV, which counters a Silence the following turn; at this point I have no idea what I’m up against. He only ever manages to resolve Grand Abolisher and Elspeth, Knight-Errant, which, in conjunction with Ancient Tomb, get me as low as 7 life. I tinker out Blightsteel Colossus, equip Lightning Greaves, and swing to win. (1-0)
    Game 2: He silences my first couple of turns. Eventually, I resolve Metalworker followed by Wurmcoil Engine and Ugin, the Spirit Dragon. (2-0)
    (2-0-1)

Round 4: Jesse – Esper Deathblade

Game 1: Trinisphere and Wurmcoil Engine put in work, then, just as a comeback begins to look like a possibility, Ugin, the Spirit Dragon provides a clutch board wipe. (1-0)
    Game 2: CotV, Wurmcoil Engine, and triple CoV (Vesuva) put in work. Batterskull and spirit tokens stall out the midgame, but I eventually find what I need to execute a combo finish. (2-0)
    (3-0-1)

Comments:

-Changes from my previous list are -2 Vesuva, -1 Staff of Nin, -1 Wurmcoil Engine sideboard, +2 Cavern of Souls, +1 Wurmcoil Engine maindeck, +1 Tormod’s Crypt side. The maindeck changes feel like solid improvements, while the additional Tormod’s Crypt in the sideboard was a metagame call.
    -Ignoring CotV and Trinisphere, Wurmcoil Engine was my deck’s MVP tonight.
    -Lightning Greaves did exactly what I needed it to do.
    -I feel like I was so close to a 4-0 night, but, in reality, I probably would’ve split the last round after a 3-0 start.

Sep 2014
    London, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Nayashi View Post
    I would like to share the list i played two weeks ago. In a 60 players tournament...ending 10th.
    Top 8 was too near cause at the end of the swiss (6 rounds) from 7th to 12th had the same points.

[...]
    Daretti is so awesome in this deck. Welder is so good too, when the game seems lost...and with greaves in play

[...]
    I had already noticed the deck on TC Decks, and I am very interested! Thanks for posting your report. I was wondering - since you only have Great Furnace for red mana to cast Daretti, do you ever get stuck without Red mana (the same question for the Welders, although there you probably can use the Cavern of Souls).

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=20032&iddeck=152553

Main:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Great Furnace
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    2 Goblin Welder
    4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Metalworker
    1 Platinum Emperion
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Sundering Titan
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Daretti, Scrap Savant
    2 All Is Dust
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Grim Monolith
    2 Lightning Greaves
    1 Trading Post
    2 Warping Wail

Side:
    2 Duplicant
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Spine of Ish Sah
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Trinisphere

Here is a mini report:

1- BGW deadguy ale: 1-1. The 3rd game i needed an extra turn to win...bad luck
    2- Miracles: 2-1. The chalice opening is so good!!!
    3- Eldrazi: 2-1. Closer match. At 1 life all eldrazi tapped and played and topdecked a kuldotha with greaves in play. Colossus enters and win. Platinum Emperion and wurms made me won the 3rd game.
    4- Miracles: 2-0. Chalice and cavern...
    5- Team america: 0-2. Mull to 4 one game. other one perfect hand with wastelands, dazes and a killer goyf...no game.
    6- Team america: 2-0. Cavern and chalice again. 2 Wurm are too much for him. This time luck was in my side. 15min of round, the faster one.

Last time i played MUD in tournament like that i ended 2nd, so the deck is consistent but the worst is mulligans...a lot of mulls as you know!

But i have to say that most of the times the win condition was to equip colossus to greaves after searched it with kuldotha

All is dust is a pretty card too i like it in main!

Sorry for my basic english.
    Looks pretty sweet. Might give this a spin at coming tournament.

How did you feel about Warping Wail?
    Where you ever short of Red mana?
    Was the Red mana req, cloudpost mana and sollands ever in conflict?
    Based on your experience, would you change anything on your list?
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Taramawn View Post
    I had already noticed the deck on TC Decks, and I am very interested! Thanks for posting your report. I was wondering - since you only have Great Furnace for red mana to cast Daretti, do you ever get stuck without Red mana (the same question for the Welders, although there you probably can use the Cavern of Souls).
    I'm actually more wondering if the missing Vesuva's aren't troublesome? The red seems a bit shaky too, but then again it's only 1 card, chances you miss out are very small. Two Welder with 8 red sources should be enough I guess...

Red mana's trouble was my first question when i decided to run that list too. But as Airwave says it's just one card and only it represents a problem in an opening hand with no red mana sources...i know that it represents more difficult in a deck that you have to mull too often.
    That's the reason to play only one copy cause it's potential is in midgame as you know. I've to say that I played it twice in all swiss, so i didn't know exactly how it can affect to the deck stability and in both cases the game was on my side in that moment,
    so i can't help so much in this question. As well as Ugin and trading post were missed all the day!

90% of the times Welder is castered with cavern cause often there is a cotv in play...(i run a playset of caverns).
    I often play the colorless version with two vesuva, but as you know artifact lands work so well with kuldotha's ability and i was looking for to get a more midgame powerfull deck and welder/daretti are, in my opinion, a good way to get it.

Warping wail is an excellent card i won't discover the moon (i countered a terminus!), but in fact it's a meta question. There's a lot of SnT decks on my meta, as well as confidant, DRS and so one...if i have to make any changes problaby was to put the 3rd warping in main but i don't know for wich card.

And of course SB is always subject to change...

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

i know that it represents more difficult in a deck that you have to mull too often.
    This, after some test runs i was confronted with inconsistent openers. Somewhat instable.
    While Cloudpost and Goblin Welder are somewhat awkward it also fixes some mid/lategame inconsistency in the manabase.
    While i really like the concept i am not really sure i would want to be doing it for real, yet.
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Jul 2010
    Edinboro, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Fry View Post
    I'm doing the Jelly Jam tournament right now with this list and in top 8 (3rd) with my only loss to Miracles... I've been doing a sort-of mini report as the tourney goes for my friends...
    4x Daretti, Scrap Savant
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Grim Monolith
    4x Kuldotha Forgemaster
    2x Lightning Greaves
    4x Metalworker
    1x Mindslaver
    1x Myr Battlesphere
    1x Platinum Emperion
    1x Solemn Simulacrum
    1x Spine of Ish Sah
    1x Staff of Domination
    1x Sundering Titan
    1x Thousand-Year Elixir
    4x Trinisphere
    2x Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    1x Wurmcoil Engine
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Darksteel Citadel
    4x Great Furnace
    3x Mountain
    Side: 15
    3x Whipflare
    1x Blightsteel Colossus
    2x Defense Grid
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    1x Spine of Ish Sah
    1x Platinum Angel
    2x Spellskite
    1x Steel Hellkite
    2x Sundering Titan
    1x Wurmcoil Engine

Just took down Esper in 3 games.
    Game 1 he got 2 TNN and JtMS bounced my Platinum Emperion for exact damage with the 2 Lingering Spirit Tokens

Game 2 Mull to 5. He gets SFM into Batterskull and starts to beat me down a little bit and I stabilize with a Wurmcoil and get a Sundering Titan, then sac the Titan next turn with Forgemaster and proceed to beat down with my 2nd turn Chalice on 1

Game 3 Mull to 6. A lot like game 2, except with him on the play he Thoughtseizes me and takes my Trinisphere and leaves me Metalworker, Monolith, Daretti, and Wurmcoil with only Ancient Tomb for mana, but I have a Mountain on top from the Scry. In the End Sundering Titan takes it down with some help from Forgemaster and Myr Battlesphere against his Germ token and SoFI... Blew up 8 lands between 2 Titans, 1 main, but brought the other 2 in from the board.

Mull to 5 in game 1 on the draw against my Finnish opponent on Miracles and he gets a JtMS and Entreats for 2 and gets rid of my Metalworker before I can do anything fun with it.

Game 2 I mull to 6 on the play and end up being annoying with a Defense Grid lead so I could resolve the Chalice on 1 for turn 2. He Cliques me and lets me keep my hand of Metalworker, Sundering Titan, Staff of Domination, and City of Traitors. He lets me keep all of them when I have that Chalice on 1, Mountain, Furnace, and Citadel in play and he has an EE set on 0, so I take the risk and play the Metalworker and it resolves. Next turn he still doesn't blow up the EE, so no StP, and no 4th land. My next turn I play staff, play Titan and he scoops.

Game 3 Actually not mulling this game! kiki emoticon keep a hand with Battlesphere, Cavern, City, Titan, Defense Grid, Monolith and Citadel. play Citadel turn 1 and pass to play the Defense Grid on turn two to eat a counterspell. Wanted to save my City until I needed it for the "big" play of Titan. T3 I draw a Greaves, but want the Monolith more, so I lead with that, after playing my Ancient Tomb, it resolves so I try the Greaves and that resolves too. Following turn I finally play my City and play my uncounterable Titan to destroy his only plains and 1 of his 3 Islands, he bstorms and swords my Titan and blow up a second Island to take him to 1 land. his turn he plays a SDT, and attacks with the Snapcaster that he got a couple turns earlier and used with his 1st turn Ponder. I am down to 6 mana from my previous play but I have a mountain in my hand to cast the Battlesphere by losing my City, it eats a FoW and a JtMS. He attacks on his turn and misses his land drop. I top deck a Daretti and he scoops.

I am now 3-0 in matches for the second Source tournament.

Only time I've doubled mulled in quite some time with this deck (especially after the scry mull...) I do it twice in game 1 and 3 against Miracles... Game 2 he got slaughtered by a forgemaster into Sundering Titan Had Grid on turn 2 followed by Chalice on 1 on turn 3, turn 4 was Thousand-Year. Ended up destroying 2 Tundra and a Volc with the first trigger his other Volc and Tundra of the second trigger, he miracled terminus for his turn (with the aid of Top) , untap forgemaster with Thousand-Year into a monolith by saccing the titan, itself, and defense grid (had 3Sphere in play) so I could play the other forgemaster still in my hand, which got a Blightsteel win on my turn.

Just won round 5, the last one of Swiss, and I'll be in the top 8 against Burn...
    Game 1: He mulls to 6 and I keep my 7 of Trinisphere, Metalworker, Forgemaster, Emperion, Tomb, Mountain, and Furnace and I'm on the play.
    I start off with a mountain and pass, his turn Lava Spikes my face... I don't like this match, crap... my turn I shock myself with the Tomb to play Trinisphere (Drew Solemn), his turn he plays Mesa and passes back to me. My turn I draw Ugin, play my Furnace and get Solemn for his nice little Mountain tagalong friend. His turn 3 consists of playing a Sulfuric Vortex when I'm already at 13 and he's at 18 from fetches. Turn 4 for me is a drawn Monolith that I play after attacking with Sad Robot. so I can play Emperion next turn with exactly 8 mana. He takes his turn goes to 16 and passes back to me and down I go to 9, play my Emperion by shocking myself to 7 (Drew MIndslaver), he responds with cracking his fetch he just played and casting PoP to do 4 more to me, I am not at 3, but my Emperion resolves (later I find out he had Fireblast in his hand the whole game). He draws for his turn and scoops to game 2.
    Side out the Spine and Mindslaver and put in the 2nd Wurmcoil and the Blightsteel for the moderately good chance of an instant win that can't be blown up by Smash to Smithereens.

Game 2 starts as a double mull for him and I keep a hand of 2 Trinisphere, Metalworker, Lightning Greaves, Cavern, City, and Wurmcoil. He starts off with a suspended Rift Bolt. My first turn I draw Forgemaster and play the Cavern on Constructs. His turn 2 is to burn me with bolt and play Mesa and back to me for Trinisphere (really want to slow him down and proctect my Metalworker) off of my newly drawn Tomb, he responds with fetch PoP... This getting old. His turn 3 is evil with another Vortex on turn three, just like game 1. I go to 9 on my upkeep, draw the Staff and cast Forgemaster going to 7. His turn 4 he hits is 4th land and plays the last card in his hand, Chain Lightning to take me to 4, 2 once my turn starts. Draw Chalice, play my 2nd Trinisphere and sac all 3 artifacts I have to get Platinum Emperion, tap my Tomb for a painless 2 mana, cast Greaves, and can't wait to equip it! His turn he fetches before the draw and the Vortex takes him to 8, he gets a top decked Ensnaring Bridge... I wasn't expecting that and I sided out my only answer to it, the Spine, but that's okay, his Vortex will likely kill him as long as he can't deal with my protected Emperion, which I know he can't even with back to back Smash with my Chalice that I play on 2 when my turn passes back. He said the Bridge wasn't what he wanted, but that it would do. I also play my Metalworker and drew Blightsteel for the turn his turn and he blows up the Metalworker with Chain Lightning, my turn, draw, pass and his vortex kills him.

4-1 and moving to top 8.

Of course if anyone has questions about why I have card X in my deck over card Y, I'll give you guys my reasoned explanation.
    I played this for the last Jelly Jam and did pretty well with it, I very rarely have any issues at all in getting a red source, but's partly due to the 3 Mountains, and the Solemn to get one, which is decent card advantage ^_^

I haven't played this deck in a couple months as I'm working on another deck that I'm going to play for this upcoming Jam. Also was working on an additional one until about a month ago, because TKS makes that deck sad... Silly card makes that combo very sad...

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Hi, I almost has the whole MUD deck now and I had it on a spin in Wensday.

This deck list is taken from a friend of mine so all credd to him:

http://deckstats.net/deck-9710571-e5...c258808ef.html

Cards that are special in main deck:

Batterskull:
    Batterskull is the best threat we have on 5 mana. He give back our lost life from Tomb, vigilance and if the germ dies, we can equip it on on other cretures like Metalworker. Batterskull is really hard to kill as well. Like to have more but there is only room for one off.

Phyrexian Metamorph:
    My friend really likes this card but I am not totallt sold yet. You can make cool plays with it. Copy a Stoneforge to get your own Batterskull or make a copy of a flying 20/20.

2 Coercive Portal:
    I think portal is better then Staff of Nin, you don't always have 6 mana to cast it, but 4 is not a big problem. The issue with MUD, we can't recover from lost of CA early in the game. Portal help us refill the hand with more card. Reallt like ii in main.

The Games

Match 1: Lands

Oh my god what this matchup is bad for mud. If lands has Explore and wasteland on R1, we lose the game so hard. Even if we can get the advantages, Lands can get a 20/20 from nowhere and win.

I mulligan to 5 both times and he had Wasteland both. GG.

0-1

Match 2: Junk Nic-fit

This match up is favor for MUD, I think.

Game 1: He gets Vet and Cabal me. He gets lands and I don't. No really good follow up from his side.

I played land until I got 8 for Sundering Titan. Destroy his three lands. Then I drew Phyrexian Metamorph and copy Titan. He scoope. :3

Game 2:
    I got only land in Void and Portal. I play Void R2. I got it out on R3 and my oppent got out a Vet but nothing else. I drew more lands and Grims. He plays Rhino turn 4 and 5. After turn 5 I draw Stell Hellkite and Kuldotha Forgemaster, and play both. He plays Deed to blow my Grim and Void. Path my Stell hellite as well. Big mistake, I activate Forgemaster to get Sundering Titan and blows his land. I win from there.

1-1

Match 3: BG Loam Pox

This is not a good match up.

Game 1: I lose to 20/20

Game 2: Igot the controll of the game

Game 3: We trade cards and it begins to be stable but then he gets his Dark Depth with Stage. But I have a batterskull that gives me lift. I draw for my turn, a Angel. I play her and give her Lightning Greaves. I have Batterskull with germ and Angel with Greaves. He got a 20/20. I have to attack with my germ to get to over 20 life and then return it to my hand and play it again. So I don't have to ecit my Angel. Nothing happen in 5 turns, I got a more Graves.

After then I drew Forgemaster, Play it with shoes. On his turn he plays Lilana and I have to sac my Germ. But I get my self Staff of Domnination and taps his 20/20 and kill the game

2-1

Match 4: MonoBlue StifleNought

A homebrew with Delver, Stilfe, Dreadnought and Mask of the Mimic.

Game 1: I got daze three times in the row but he only got one land. So it looked really bad for me. He has a flip delver and beats me. But I got a Batterskull and plays it. Then on his turn he plays a Dreadnought and plays Mask of the Mimic to sac one of is non-flip delver to get another Dreadnought to sac it to Dreadnought. I have Spine of Ish Sah and plays it. Kills his Dreadnought and I win from there

Game 2: Slow strat from me, nothing on the borad. He gets a delver out on turn 1 and two more on turn 2. They didn't flip for 4 turns. So I got time to get a Lode stone, Lodestone and Batterskull. Winning the race with one Lodestone. They flip so they trade two lodestone for two flipdelver but my Batterskull germ lives. I win from there.

He told me after that he had Back to Basis in hand but I played Lodestone always one turn be he could cast it #Skills

I really don't like the deck against deck that can get Wasteland back from the grave, otherwise it was a blast to play.

Thread Information