Thread: Spiraling into Indianapolis: Grand Prix Top4 Report

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Spiraling into Indianapolis: Grand Prix Top4 Report

Linky

I know you were all super anxious to read about it. So here you go.

Bryant Cook

Re: Spiraling into Indianapolis: Grand Prix Top4 Report

I like what you did with the name ;P

Thank you for the name dropZ.

Gang leader of the Squirtle Squad
    Oct 2010
    Germany

Good read, thanks for sharing.

Regarding Candles: As much as I trust player's I respect from either knowing what results they put up with the deck or knowing them personally, I am not 100% convinced that Candles are really the best you can do all the time.
    The advantages of them is huge in most MU's and definetly help/win, but there are downside's that can not be ignored while talking about the card.
    Your estimation of the RUG matchup for example is pretty much the same I have concluded after a fair ammount of test, but there were also games that wen't ridiculously bad for High Tide cause they do infact ran candles.
    Besides loosing due to Stifle sometimes, I lucksacked my opponent out of the game with sb Ancient Grudge/EE for example.
    Pithing Needle is not much of a card either but there are weaknesses that stick to the card that do exist and can cost games, even if there is such a huge upside.

Much apprecieation for beeing a enabler for a large part of Legacy's community.
    In response...Hypothek!

If they are bringing in those cards to interact with you then you're already winning.

Oct 2010
    Germany

As Legacy is the format where you are on a pretty safe bet with these totalitarian statements, I really do agree with you after reading your useful post (*sarcasm*).
    I am not sure if you know which player was winning after having this misor Engineered Explosives in hand and his opponent went double Candle, but I surely do.
    You might want to think twice about making this half-smart posts that just feed the (already obese) mediocrity, but meh, you can also move right into the Belcher thread and point out how bad of a card Gitaxian Probe is cause it leads to awkward mulligan-decisions.
    Boarding in pointed removal against Candles sure is desperate, but really is not even a idea I would consider dumb or bad in hindsight (obviously depending on what deck you are playing), especially if the opponent will bring in Defense Grid as well in that particular case.
    In response...Hypothek!

Resident Proctologist
    Oct 2008
    Muncie, Indiana

Also, decks playing against true combo often have more cards to sideboard out than in, so cornercase sideboard cards often find their way in. (ie. artifact removal being something in everyones sb)

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

If an opponent is boarding to specifically deal with Candelabra, whether that be Ancient Grudge, Krosan Grip, Pithing Needle, etc, then they've already sacrificed something else to have a very small chance at disrupting you. The opportunities an opponent has to even destroy a Candelabra before it's used is incredibly small, as it isn't very common you run them out early anyway. This can depend of course on a number of variables, but odds are they aren't going to get to use that Ancient Grudge or EE because it generally isn't played until your combo turn. I've had countless opponents bring stuff like that in, and after the match they mention that those cards just sat dead in their hand as it didn't really do anything. It's one thing if the opponent has absolutely dead cards like Swords to Plowshares or something of the like, but if they are boarding out reasonably useful cards in favor of incredibly narrow ones (which also require the High Tide player to play poorly enough to run them out for no reason) then they're making a mistake.

Stifle can hurt Candelabras, but Stifle can just as easily hit a fetchland, which in most cases is much worse for the deck. Sure it can happen, but it's a weak argument against running the card given half the cards in the format also get hit by it.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Di, a great read

Almost wish I brought you a heating blanket during the GP. I saw you all bundled up at the top tables.

Meh, it's spring now. Sorta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

I'm used to 70+ degrees in Texas, so that cold Indianapolis weather wasn't nice. I'm sure the Californians will agree.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    I'm used to 70+ degrees in Texas, so that cold Indianapolis weather wasn't nice. I'm sure the Californians will agree.
    Yes. I wore 3 layers all day + scarf. Never took any layers off.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Oct 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    If an opponent is boarding to specifically deal with Candelabra, whether that be Ancient Grudge, Krosan Grip, Pithing Needle, etc, then they've already sacrificed something else to have a very small chance at disrupting you. The opportunities an opponent has to even destroy a Candelabra before it's used is incredibly small, as it isn't very common you run them out early anyway. This can depend of course on a number of variables, but odds are they aren't going to get to use that Ancient Grudge or EE because it generally isn't played until your combo turn. I've had countless opponents bring stuff like that in, and after the match they mention that those cards just sat dead in their hand as it didn't really do anything. It's one thing if the opponent has absolutely dead cards like Swords to Plowshares or something of the like, but if they are boarding out reasonably useful cards in favor of incredibly narrow ones (which also require the High Tide player to play poorly enough to run them out for no reason) then they're making a mistake.

Stifle can hurt Candelabras, but Stifle can just as easily hit a fetchland, which in most cases is much worse for the deck. Sure it can happen, but it's a weak argument against running the card given half the cards in the format also get hit by it.
    I was not saying that dropping the card is the right way to go in general, because of completely random blowouts. I was just mentioning that these things could happen and that it is possible to own someone pretty good with these. It is not that I played against some scrub who presented me that opportunity on the silver plate, but especially against tempo you might be forced to use mana in the set-up very efficient in front of a clock, mulligan(s) and starting hands, so sometimes there's no luxury of slowrolling or playing around some things.
    I was trying to point out that the huge advantages of Candles offer to run it, but not that it is a must to have good results with it.
    I do understand that Candles do a whole lot for this deck (that early combo against affinity might be one of the best examples), but I have to politeley disagree that this deck needs those by all means.
    In response...Hypothek!

Really enjoyed our match, Shame i wasnt able to play my deck though.

Ravenous Trap was insane...

Thread Information