Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Wizards trying to kill off Legacy? And what does pee taste like?

Re: Is Wizards trying to kill off Legacy?

Wizards can't do anything right. They can't make Legacy fail and they can't make Legacy grow.

Your Friend
    Apr 2011
    Minnesota

Doug Linn recently wrote a (paid) article about this very topic:

Insider: Playing Maze of Ith in Modern (and why Wizards wants Modern to kill Legacy)

Stirring up a fair amount of discussion over at Quiet Speculation, though it can't really add much to the convo here since it's an Insider article.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by metamet View Post
    Doug Linn recently wrote a (paid) article about this very topic:

Insider: Playing Maze of Ith in Modern (and why Wizards wants Modern to kill Legacy)

Stirring up a fair amount of discussion over at Quiet Speculation, though it can't really add much to the convo here since it's an Insider article.
    Link doesn't seem to be working right now - it's redirecting to a member login page.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Link doesn't seem to be working right now - it's redirecting to a member login page.
    "Insider Article" of which I have an account - I'll let you know what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    "Insider Article" of which I have an account - I'll let you know what happens.
    Bah, fuck that. Why do I want to pay money to hear about some opinions on Modern?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I understand that Pepsi is actively trying to wean the public off of Mountain Dew. It seems there the extra caffeine makes it more to produce and so marginally less attractive as a product. The prevailing wisdom at Pepsi headquarters is that consumers (who mostly drink Mountain Dew because "Pepsi tastes like ass") will simply switch back to Pepsi.

Learn more at www.youfuckingmoron.com.
    I dunno, I vastly prefer the taste of Pepsi to Dew. Dew tastes like piss to me.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Dec 2011
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    I dunno, I vastly prefer the taste of Pepsi to Dew. Dew tastes like piss to me.
    You know what pee tastes like? >^,^<

Anyhow, I don't think wizards is trying to kill off legacy, anything that gets people to play their game doesn't sound bad at all, even if its 99% secondary market, exceptions being that 1 card that comes out every set or two that see's a push in legacy.
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by feline View Post
    You know what pee tastes like? >^,^<

Anyhow, I don't think wizards is trying to kill off legacy, anything that gets people to play their game doesn't sound bad at all, even if its 99% secondary market, exceptions being that 1 card that comes out every set or two that see's a push in legacy.
    Well there was that one New Years Eve....

Never should have had that last carbomb.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Well there was that one New Years Eve....

Never should have had that last carbomb.
    It's cool. We've all been there.

Of course, I didn't drink pee. I just slept with a chick that looks like a horse, which is arguably worse.

EDIT: oh, right, the actual topic at hand. Wizards doesn't have to try and kill off Legacy. It's going to happen on it's own.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by TeenieBopper View Post

EDIT: oh, right, the actual topic at hand. Wizards doesn't have to try and kill off Legacy. It's going to happen on it's own.
    Pretty much like what happened to Vintage?

Though you have to admit, WotC DID pull the plug on Extended. Tell me how for about three months, Super Jace and SFM were simultaneously banned in Standard and Modern but legal in Extended. It took them another three months to realize that Extended was still a format and only then the mentioned cards above were banned.

Though WotC killing Legacy is unlikely. As long as SCG is running Legacy with Standard opens, it won't happen.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Pretty much like what happened to Vintage?
    Exactly. Of course, Vintage was a way shittier format, but the concept is the same. Skyrocketing prices will lead to a crash (not in card prices, but in player numbers).

Though you have to admit, WotC DID pull the plug on Extended. Tell me how for about three months, Super Jace and SFM were simultaneously banned in Standard and Modern but legal in Extended. It took them another three months to realize that Extended was still a format and only then the mentioned cards above were banned.

Though WotC killing Legacy is unlikely. As long as SCG is running Legacy with Standard opens, it won't happen.
    To be fair, everyone else forgot extended was a format too. I'd be very, very surprised if Extended was even close to where Vintage Restricted was a decade ago; one area of the country where people play the format regularly (ie, weekly four round tournaments).

Starcity is probably the reason Legacy has been able to keep going as long as it has. With them running the opens and being such a huge store, getting legacy cards is easy, despite how expensive they are. Eventually, interest is going to crash and they'll switch over to modern. Modern is what, six months old? Eight? It's still emerging from infancy and settling down after creation and the multiple rounds of bannings. Once players see that it's stable, they'll start playing it. Six months ago I said Legacy would be alive for two more years, so now it's got about 18 months left.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Re: Is Wizards trying to kill off Legacy? And what does pee taste like?

I was three days off and couldn't follow or add something to the discussion but what I've read so far makes me questioning if this forum would be better off if certain people would refrain posting in threads. Seriously, have you never be taught of basic manners for discussions, namely keeping out flames and other insults? Not to speak of the highly arrogating act to add the phrase in the title of the thread. whoever that was, but you sir are definitely overbearing with your 'authority'. Sure it's the internet and I know that you generally have to deal with the scum of humankind and that people tend to neglect the aforementioned 'manners' but this is getting worse and worse and this thread is a great example for this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeenieBopper View Post
    Six months ago I said Legacy would be alive for two more years, so now it's got about 18 months left.
    And if it doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    I was three days off and couldn't follow or add something to the discussion but what I've read so far makes me questioning if this forum would be better off if certain people would refrain posting in threads. Seriously, have you never be taught of basic manners for discussions, namely keeping out flames and other insults? Not to speak of the highly arrogating act to add the phrase in the title of the thread. whoever that was, but you sir are definitely overbearing with your 'authority'. Sure it's the internet and I know that you generally have to deal with the scum of humankind and that people tend to neglect the aforementioned 'manners' but this is getting worse and worse and this thread is a great example for this.
    Welcome to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    And if it doesn't?
    Then I was wrong. /shrug. It happens to the best of us.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Moved to Community.

Funny how people only remember Delver, Jace and Snapcaster, but forget Wild Nacatl, Green Sun's Zenith, Qasali Pridemage, Steppe Lynx, Goblin Guide, Thoughtseize, Past in Flames, the new sword cycle, faithless looting, bloodghast, liliana of the veil, and other non blue cards.

Haters gonna hate, SLaters gonna Slate
    On a more constructive note: Anything can be funny, even if it is about rape.
    TIME POLICE

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

I was three days off and couldn't follow or add something to the discussion but
    But might as well post anyway, right?
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

This is not supposed to be another conspiracy thread [...]
    Liar.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Don't you have to call for a Brainstorm ban somewhere?

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

See, Bardo, that's why this thread deserved Mish-Mash. If only the posters had had the good sense to keep talking about the taste of pee.

Erdvermampfa, I believe you when you say you didn't mean this to be a conspiracy thread, and I also believe that you intended for it to produce intelligent, polite discussion. Neither fact changes that your attempt in said directions was a truly astounding failure in every possible meaning of the word. If this thread were a deck, it would be Legacy Trix. If it were a format, it would be Overextended. If it were a card, it would be Karona, False God.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Thread Information