Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where The Wild Things Are - 20th at SCG Providence with Sneak Attack

May 2011
    Dalian, China

Where The Wild Things Are - 20th at SCG Providence with Sneak Attack

Hey guys, my name is Norman Croan and I like to play unfair decks in Magic. I'd like to note that I'm writing this entirely from memory and as a result, it's fairly loose.

Decklist: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=45977

Enjoy!

Round One: Christopher Ocampo - Maverick
    First Game: I begin this tournament with a habit I developed in GP: Providence last year, “accidentally” revealing Goblin tokens while checking my sideboard prior to shuffling. “Goblins, right?” he asks, “No, I wouldn’t play a terrible deck like that”, “I saw your tokens”, “You must be mistaken, I love Brainstorm”. He smirks, in a way that tells me he’s thoroughly convinced I’m on Goblins.

Unfortunately, I keep a turn three Show and Tell and he curves perfectly into t2 Knight of The Reliquary, t3 Quasali Pridemage, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben. I didn’t get there.

-2 Misdirection, -1 Intuition, +3 Blood Moon

Second Game: I’m off to a great start with a mulligan to five on the play, he saw nothing from me in the first game so he boarded incorrectly (obvious after seeing Ethersworn Canonist come into play, followed by Umezawa’s Jitte. I intuition for Show and Tell in response to Thalia, Guardian of Thraben then proceed to drop Griselbrand into play while he drops…Mirran Crusader. I pick up my cards and sign the match slip. Apparently I’ll only need to go undefeated for the rest of the tournament, but I planned on doing that anyway ;)

Round Two: Michael Fitzgerald Burn

First Game: I win the die roll and lead off with Misty Rainforest into Island pass. He opens with Vexing Devil, I take the four damage, then draw for turn. Ancient Tomb, Show and Tell Emrakul, The Aeons Torn he dropped Mountain. On his turn, he played Sulfuric Vortex, then passed. I’m at 11 life when I swing the Big Sexy, he responds with Fireblast, I force (despite realizing he can’t possibly deal seven damage to me next turn) and he scoops.

-3 Misdirection, -1 Intuition, -1 Ponder, -1 Sneak Attack, -1 Lotus Petal +4Leyline of Sanctity, +2 Echoing Truth +1 Wipe Away.

Second Game: I keep a hand with lands, multiple bounce spells, brainstorm, and Leyline. I begin with Leyline of Sanctity in play.

He frowns, then opens with Goblin Guide revealing Emrakul, The Aeons Torn “Crap…not what I wanted to see”. I draw the monster, then play land and pass. He attacks, I brainstorm in response, reveal City of Traitors. He passes back. I proceed to Ponder into nothing, shuffle, draw land, pass. He attacks, reveals land again, then plays Keldon Marauders dealing one damage to himself. I draw Lotus Petal, play it and land to avoid discarding. Despite numerous cantrips I’m unable to locate an Intuition , Show and Tell or Sneak Attack. He attacks, I bounce Goblin Guide revealing Lotus Petal again, then resolves Sulfuric Vortex. On my turn, I play another petal, land and pass. He pings himself again with Marauders, then plays Flame Rift and attacks revealing Show and Tell (HURRAY!!), I bounce again, then take my turn. At this point I’m at five life (A few hits from Guide, Marauders, fetches, sulfuric vortex, and flame rift) when I cast Show and Tell. He drops Vexing Devil and I drop Emrakul, The Aeons Torn. I’m dead if I pay the life, so I let him keep the devil. On his turn, he declines to attack after playing land. On my turn, I go to three and swing, he checks his life total and realizes he’s dead due to Flame Rift and his Keldon Marauders.

Round Three: Josh Hartwell RUG Delver

Josh is a great player and a very nice guy, I watched him play Ross McGee (don’t forget about this guy) on Saturday night in round two of our Legacy Win-A-Box event. Ross won that match, but I liked some of the plays that Josh made and commented on them before we began.

First Game: I win the die roll and keep a spicy seven. He keeps as well, I drop Scalding Tarn, fetch Island pass. He cracks Misty Rainforest for Tropical Island, Nimble Mongoose pass. I draw Lotus Petal then play it, Ancient Tomb Show and Tell. He casts Force of Will, I crack Lotus Petal for blue and respond with Spell Pierce. He Dazes, I Force of Will removing Ponder. He drops Tarmogoyf and I drop Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    “I think I drew pretty well that game”, “Yep” and we’re off to the sideboards.

-2 Misdirection -1 Intuition +3 Blood Moon

Second Game: He leads with Tropical Island Delver of Secrets. I crack my fetch and Ponder into Show and Tell with Misdirection Griselbrand on top. He attacks for one, then plays Tarmogoyf. This tells me he probably doesn’t have a Spell Pierce in hand so I’m feeling comfortable fighting over a Force of Will. I brainstorm into the Griselbrand and put a few lands back, then fetch them away for another basic Island and pass. He attacks, then plays Nimble Mongoose and passes. I draw Show and Tell again and decide it’s time to make my move. I put Ancient Tomb into play and cast Show and Tell. He Brainstorm, then Force of Wills. I Misdirection pitching Brainstorm. It resolves, I put Griselbrand into play, he puts Tarmogoyf down. On his turn, he attempts to play another Tarmogoyf and I Force of Will removing the last card in my hand. He decides to scoop, then asks if I’d show him the seven I would draw from Griselbrand. I reveal Volcanic Island Sneak Attack Emrakul, The Aeons Torn Lotus Petal Force of Will Intuition.

Round Four: Sean Morgan - Merfolk

This is not a fantastic matchup for Show and Tell decks and I was a little disappointed to find out that people still play bad decks on purpose. I suppose this is karma kicking me in the ass for being such a jackass to most of my opponents.

First Game: He leads off with Mutavault into Aether Vial pass. I crack a fetch for Island and Ponder finding protection for a turn two combo. He ticks Vial to one, then drops Island, activates Mutavault and attacks. I’m almost certain he doesn’t have a Daze because he would have lead with Island into Vial if he did (unless he’s terrible). I go for the turn two with the help of Ancient Tomb and he Dazes, I Force of Will, he Force of Wills back and I die a few turns later to seamen.
    I don’t actually have any good sideboard options for this matchup, Surgical Extraction could help win a counter war but it’s not very likely. I pretend to board, then shuffle up for game two.

Second Game: I keep a turn three Sneak Attack with protection, he plays Chalice of the Void on one and zero, they’re both irrelevant as I never drew a 1 or 0 CMC spell. He wins the counter war on turn three with double Force of Will, Seaman gets there.

Round Five: Steve Guillerm - Food Chain Combo

First Game: Steve mulligans to five on the play. He plays three Tropical Islands while I cantrip. He then sees Sneak Attack into Griselbrand – Draw Seven Lotus Petal Emrakul, The Aeons Torn kill you:

“I think I know what you’re doing, that wasn’t an accurate representation of your deck” “Playing three lands and dying doesn’t accurately represent any deck”

I don’t actually know what he’s playing, but I sideboard like this after seeing three non-basic lands that didn’t tap for red:

-2 Misdirection, -1 Intuition, +3 Blood Moon.

Second Game: He leads with Tropical Island into Birds of Paradise pass. Now I’m fairly certain he’s playing that terrible deck Drew Levin recently wrote about. My suspicions are confirmed when he later plays Food Chain. On my turn, I cast Show and Tell, he Force of Wills removing Misthollow Griffin. And I Force of Will right back. It resolves, I place Griselbrand into play “I was hoping you would have the other one” I reveal Emrakul, The Aeons Torn from my hand “I do”. On his turn, he casts the Misthollow Griffin and I draw seven in response. I Force of Will and he Pact of Negations in response. I draw seven more cards including yet another Force, but I’ve got different plans: “I’ll Misdrection your Pact of Negation targeting Misdirection and that shit will definitely resolve”. He concedes after realizing he’s unable to produce five mana on his next upkeep. He wasn’t thrilled.

Round Six: Robby Connolly - RUG Delver

First Game: He plays a Delver on turn one, I fetch for Island and Ponder into Ancient Tomb for a turn two combo. He Brainstorms in his upkeep to flip his delver, revealing Ponder then beats for three. I Show and Tell, he doesn’t have a response. He reads Emrakul, The Aeons Torn before attacking into it. I carefully play around Manamorphose into Virulent Swipe (kidding) and decide not to block. He concedes after taking 15 and losing all of his permanents.
    “You know, Emrakul flies…” “Oh crap, I missed that, there’s a lot of text on that card”.
    -2 Misdirection, -1Intuition, +3 Blood Moon (Why can’t I ever Blood Moon anyone!?)

Second Game: This game was a little longer. I played around Stifle by fetching on his upkeep, he resolved a few Nimble Mongoose and then eventually lost a counter war over Sneak Attack into Emrakul, The Aeons Torn. I’m forgetting some details here, but after practicing this matchup countless times, I’m very comfortable playing around their soft counters and crushing at just the right moment.

Round Seven: Ross McGee - NO Bant

Remember how I said I watched Josh play against Ross in our Win-A-Box event? Good, I was waiting to play the winner of that match. Ross and I had played each other before, at the GP in Providence last year. I won that match (with the same decks) so he’s quite familiar with the way this game is played. After he beat Josh, he looked up at me:
    “Hey, want to split the box?” “Nope!” “Are you sure?” “Yup, gonna kill you ;)”

We had three great games, where I eventually won game three (and a sweet new box of Avacyn) while staring at lethal on board. He Vendillion Cliqued me, removing Sneak Attack and I drew into Show and Tell. I placed a Griselbrand into play, Echoing Truthed his lethal attack next turn, drew seven into Intuition for Sneak Attack, resolved it on my turn then smashed with Emrakul, The Aeons Torn and his new best friend.

Back on track, here we are again, playing each other for the third time in large events.

First Game: “Do you have nightmares about seeing my name on the pairing sheet?” Ross laughed as we shuffled up. I won the die roll and proceeded to cantrip my way into a Sneak Attack kill via Emrakul, The Aeons Torn. Off to a great start!

-2 Misdrection, -1 Intuition, -1 Ponder, -1 Lotus Petal, -1 Show and Tell +3 Blood Moon +2 Echoing Truth +1 Wipe Away.

Second Game: Ross mulligans while I joke about killing him on turn one. He leads with Green Sun’s Zenith for Dryad Arbor off a Tropical Island. I draw a second Sneak Attack. “Are you ready for it?” – he grins, land and pass. He fetches for Tundra then casts Knight of The Reliquary , I Force of Will removing Spell Pierce. On my turn I draw into a third Sneak Attack. I’d kill for a Brainstorm but I kept this hand for a reason and you’ll see why soon enough. On his turn, he fetches for Savannah and casts Green Sun’s Zenith for three to find another Knight of The Reliquary it resolves.

“I’m going to teach you a lesson about being greedy”

On my turn I cast Blood Moon. He sinks in his chair a little but he’s determined to play through it. He bashes for five with Knight and Dryad Arbor, I Ponder into Show and Tell, land, Intuition and take the Show and Tell, leaving Intuition on top. I cast Sneak Attack, it resolves. On his turn he bashes with Knight of The Reliquary and Dryad Arbor again. I draw the Intuition and cast it in my main phase finding three Emrakul, The Aeons Torn and joke about his dead Surgical Extraction in his hand, I wasn’t sure if he actually had it but I explained how it wouldn’t stop him from losing all permanents and he looked confused at first but then understood. I triggered the tentacle monsters from my graveyard, no response, shuffle, cut, activate, attack you for 15. He sacrificed all of his permanents and then cast Surgical Extraction on Emrakul after it went to the bin. It resolved, I shouldn’t have said anything because I’d still have an Emrakul in my deck if he played into it after resolving Intuition. I didn’t even think about that, my friend Chris was kind enough to point it out after the match. I joked about Griselbrand sitting on top of my deck anyway as he drew for turn then passed. I slowly drew my card then flipped it onto the table Griselbrand, attack you. He shook my hand and we joked about him getting revenge next time we play.

I meet up with Josh Cicio between rounds, we exchange a few stories about our matches and joke about playing each other in either of the next rounds (we’re both x-2). I go watch my brother play against David Shiels for their win and in match, it ends in a draw with David dead on board next turn, that’s unfortunate.

Round Eight: Josh Cicio - BUG Control

Josh and I play at That’s Entertainment in Worcester and Jupiter Games in NY regularly, we’ve had a few fun matches and this wouldn’t be any different.

First Game: Josh wins the die roll and leads off with a turn one Sensei’s Divining Top. I fetch for Island and pass. He drops Mishra’s Factory into Standstill and I Force of Will. “I thought you said Standstill wasn’t that great against you? You were pretty quick to counter that” I laughed, then agreed that Standstill was actually quite good against me. He resolved a Liliana of The Veil and got it to six counters while I repeatedly discarded Griselbrands. I resolved Sneak Attack for Emrakul, The Aeons Torn “I can’t let that Lilly stick around at six counters” “You know, I get to choose which permanents I sacrifice, right?” I attacked Lilly for 15 and he left a Factory and Island behind. I killed him a turn later with a good Brainstorm into Griselbrand drawing into Emrakul, The Aeons Torn.

Second Game: This went back and forth, I countered another Standstill, he won the counter war over my Show and Tell, then he resolved Liliana of the Veil and Counterbalance. I pushed a Sneak Attack through without enough mana to activate, he Maelstrom Pulsed it on his turn then locked me out of the game after Brainstorming another Liliana of The Veil to the top of his deck for a Counterbalance trigger against my Show and Tell. I soon died to assembly workers.

Third Game: This game also went pretty long, he won another counter war over my Sneak Attack then resolved Liliana of the Veil and proceeded to force discards each turn while beating me with Mishra’s Factory. I pushed a Sneak Attack through, thanks to a Force of Will and activated with my last source of mana bringing Griselbrand to the table. I activated to draw seven then tossed a Volcanic Island and Emrakul, The Aeons Torn on to his playmat. Good games.

Round Nine: Nicholas Castagna – UR Delver

We intentionally drew this round after realizing we’d both make top 32, where the loser would be pushed out of that bracket. It wasn’t possible for either of us to make top 8 and I took the opportunity to watch my brother play another feature match on camera where the winner would make it. Unfortunately, he drew into four Wastelands by turn six against a seemingly mono-plains Death and Taxes opponent. Rough beats.

Props:
    Winning another booster box in side events and placing top 32 with Sneak Attack
    Picking up two FBB Volcanic Islands in trades with Luke before the main event (you’re the man, btw)
    Placing 20th alongside my brother at 17th in our favorite format
    Josh Cicio for still making top 32 (32nd exactly) despite going x-3 and for placing top 4 in Standard
    Dustin Taylor for winning the Standard Open
    The lady that loaded my plate up with what seemed like twenty pounds worth for Chinese food in the Providence Place food court.
    All of my friends that came out to dinner/drinks and make these events so much fun to attend

Slops:
    The douchebag that cheated my friend Chris out of a match by not paying for his Price of Progress then using that mana to pay a Flusterstorm and accepting the win on a technicality.
    Murphy’s Deli and Irish Pub for having the crappiest service in Providence. Seriously, that place was atrocious.
    Last edited by Norm; 05-09-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Fixed tags

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: Where The Wild Things Are - 20th at SCG Providence with Sneak Attack

Grats on the finish! Very entertaining report!

May 2011
    Dalian, China

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Grats on the finish! Very entertaining report!
    Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Great report and gratz for smashing people with the new Deck to Beat :)

By the way, you may have mistaken something here: "On my turn I cast Blood Moon. He sinks in his chair a little but he’s determined to play through it. He bashes for five with Knight and Dryad Arbor"
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp802 View Post
    Great report and gratz for smashing people with the new Deck to Beat :)

By the way, you may have mistaken something here: "On my turn I cast Blood Moon. He sinks in his chair a little but he’s determined to play through it. He bashes for five with Knight and Dryad Arbor"
    I don't see anything wrong. Are you referring to the Dryad Arbor attacking? I'm pretty sure it's still a 1/1 Mountain creature under Blood Moon.

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    I don't see anything wrong. Are you referring to the Dryad Arbor attacking? I'm pretty sure it's still a 1/1 Mountain creature under Blood Moon.
    Oh is it? I am sorry, my fault.
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp802 View Post
    Oh is it? I am sorry, my fault.
    I'm like 95% sure on that.

What I'm not as sure on it is that it's still a green card (since Innistrad rule changes) and that it's still a Dryad. Hopefully those situations never come up though!

May 2011
    Dalian, China

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    I'm like 95% sure on that.

What I'm not as sure on it is that it's still a green card (since Innistrad rule changes) and that it's still a Dryad. Hopefully those situations never come up though!
    It's a Green Mountain Dryad, it taps for red and still gets in there for 1. It may be sacrificed to Natural Order or fetched with GSZ.

Oct 2011
    Berlin, Germany

Great report, a very good read! Thank you! And once again congratz on your finish!

Awesome report, one thing though- The Pact of Negation that was misdirected to the Misdirection would have been countered on resolution (as the spell it was targetting had already resolved) and he wouldn't have been required to pay for it (should have misdirected it to the Misthollow Griffin (which would the cause FOW to be countered on resolution instead, as the griffin would arleady have been countered)

I really like Griselbrand in this deck, he seems like a perfect fit :D Much better than, well, basically anything. Lightning bolt decks are all pretty bad, so no one is presurring you near enough to actually make the -7 relevant. Also BloodMoon can be one hell of a beating. Very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    Don't play shitty decks and everyone will have more fun.

May 2011
    Dalian, China

Quote Originally Posted by betterthenandrew View Post
    Awesome report, one thing though- The Pact of Negation that was misdirected to the Misdirection would have been countered on resolution (as the spell it was targetting had already resolved) and he wouldn't have been required to pay for it (should have misdirected it to the Misthollow Griffin (which would the cause FOW to be countered on resolution instead, as the griffin would arleady have been countered)

I really like Griselbrand in this deck, he seems like a perfect fit :D Much better than, well, basically anything. Lightning bolt decks are all pretty bad, so no one is presurring you near enough to actually make the -7 relevant. Also BloodMoon can be one hell of a beating. Very nice.
    That's a very good point! In fairness, he was dead next turn because 14 extra cards in hand tend to end games quickly, but I'm glad you pointed that out. I'm sure it will be relevant some day.

Griselbrand is absolutely fantastic in this deck, if I could be friends with Magic cards, he'd be my closest.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment!

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by betterthenandrew View Post

I really like Griselbrand in this deck, he seems like a perfect fit :D
    Considering the topic of renaming this deck - what about "Perfect Fit"? XD

Apr 2012
    Schenectady,NY

Love the pics,They add personality to the report. Great read ;)

May 2011
    Dalian, China

Quote Originally Posted by MTG Junkie View Post
    Love the pics,They add personality to the report. Great read ;)
    Thanks! I really like hearing the feedback on this, I'll be sure to write more after future events

Congrats on the finish! So close to that top 8 man.

I was wondering, I was starting to pick up Show and Tell a few weeks ago. Do you have any general tips on playing the deck vs decks like RUG Tempo?

And what do you think of the Japanese World's list? The guy played 3 Jaces in the mainboard? Is he needed?

Very good report, keep up the good work

i said it there and i'll say it again, this deck is insane with griselbrand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessenator View Post
    I was wondering, I was starting to pick up Show and Tell a few weeks ago. Do you have any general tips on playing the deck vs decks like RUG Tempo?
    Don't get stifled. Seriously- a stifle on your Draw 7 is a beating, as it is on your Annihilator trigger. Post board you have Blood Moon, and they have 0 basics, making it another must counter card- Giving you Blood Moon, Show and Tell and Sneak Attack as pretty massive bombs. You have more counters FOWs because of Misdirection, an awesome tutor (intuition) and Sol Lands and Lotus Petals help you play around daze. Seems like a pretty reasonable match up for you. But I have never played a SNT deck, and havent played Tempo in about 2 years, so I might be a bit off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    Don't play shitty decks and everyone will have more fun.

the rug vs sneak show matchup feels pretty good for sneak and show for a few reasons. spellsnare is a dead counter
    spell pierce can be played around due to the sol ring lands. (same for daze)
    you run 4 force of wills where as I and most other rug players play 3.

sneak and show also can just bait counters with show and tells (if you have multiplies). because i have to counter it unless i have a killer read on you.
    post board i can bring in red blasts and if i'm so inclined blue blasts (which are good if you bring in bloodmoon.. and i can get it on the stack...) also chalice of the void is amazing against rug.

Plus it helps that people are cutting stifles.

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Rekk View Post
    you run 4 force of wills where as I and most other rug players play 3.
    I am sorry, It is very risky to claim, that MOST RUG players play 3 FoW! I am a Thresh player aswell and I stick with 4 - ofc. BUT Sneak Attack hasn't just 4 FoW it has 4-7 depending on built. Some play 1,2 or even 3 Misdirection in addition to Pierce/Flusterstorm/Daze!

I gotta say, if this MU is played with 2 people on the same level of experience and format-knowledge its one of my fav MUs because it is simply 50-50 and alot of fun. Postboard it gets alot better for SneakAttack so its overall slightly positiv for SneakAttack!

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Slops:
    Murphy’s Deli and Irish Pub for having the crappiest service in Providence. Seriously, that place was atrocious.
    There are a GAZILLION great places to eat in Prov, right near the convention center, 2-3 of which are amazing Irish Pubs, and somehow you pick the worst one. That sucks.

Anyways, was Gristlebrand as nuts as he seems?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Thread Information