Thread: The BOM Curse (36th place)

Jun 2009
    Germany

The BOM Curse (36th place)

To understand the title i have to take you back to last years Bazaar of Moxen. I played GW (obv, because its my default deck), scrubbing out the first two rounds against ANT and BUG control and winning 6 in a row, just to unintentional draw the last round; I became 66th at BOM 2011.

So, this year, I thought to myself, this year it will be different. We arrived Thursday after a 6 hour drive from Germany in Annecy and I grabbed my deck to start playing single elimination LCQs, where you could win Duals/Fetchlands and 1/2 byes for Saturdays legacy Main event. I was super tired because I was the driver: after winning the first round I made like 5 mistakes in a row in the second round, just to let my opponent win. As you could imagine, I was quite disappointed and didn't want to play another Qualifier. So down to the trading tables, where I found some sweet russian cards (so sick- these guys came all the way from Russia!) for my EDH deck.

Friday morning I woke up quite motivated (despite sleeping in a double bed with a friend of mine; we booked last minute, so I guess you take what you get). I tuned my decklist and headed of to the site to enter the Qualifiers again instead of playing the "BIG Legacy", which had 430 players and 10 rounds without Top8. I was quite happy i skipped that. I wasn't so happy that I had to wait for my Qualifier because we needed 32 players to start and everyone was playing the big tournament. Yeah. Fast forward: 3 hours later, I got another chance to get my byes.

Round1: Esperblade 2-0 New player, who attacked in Scryb Ranger, equipped with Jitte; it was very hard for me to not laugh
    Round2: BUG Control 2-0 I played a creature every turn and overwhelmed him
    Top8: Elf Combo 2-1 Lost the first game, obv. Game 2/3 Turn 1 Mother, Turn 2 Canonist. Sometimes be rather lucky than good.
    Top4: Mirror 2-1 I won on the back of Sylvan Library and lost Game 2 after 2 Wastelands in a row, after he sworded 2 mana guys.
    Final: Sneak Show....2-1! I consider this a very tough matchup after the printing of Griselbrand, but he made some mistakes, boarding in LotV to name one (wtf?) and was a bit unlucky. In the end I won an Underground Sea and 2 byes for the next day!

I got up early on Saturday because I wanted to play a second Linvala in my SB and had to purchase one. The I registered the following list:
    2 Cavern of Souls
    3 Wasteland
    4 Savannah
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Karakas
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Horizon Canopy

4 Mother of Runes
    1 Birds of Paradise
    3 Noble Hierarch
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Aven Mindcensor

2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares

SB:
    2 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
    1 Life from the Loam
    2 Krosan Grip
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Choke
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Bojuka Bog
    Short Sidenote: I played Cavern of Souls for the first time this weekend and upped them short after from 1 to 2. I would play more but that would be too much colorless mana. They are that good!

The Tournament: 723 players! 9 rounds plus Top 16.

Round 1/2: BYE

Round 3: RUG
    I'll make it short: 0-2 He played quite good and drew even better...well played.

Round 4: Sneak Show
    He puts out his paper from last round and I see suspicious jumps of 7 in his life total...Griselbrand!
    Game 1 is actually quite fair. "Fair" means I have the kill on the table if I play it right. IF. I misplay and lose because I untap Emrakul instead of Griselbrand, he gets 7 life and can draw 7 cards again. Game 2 is Turn 2 SnT into Sneak Attack into Turn 3 Griselbrand and Spaghetti-Monster.
    So I lose the first 2 rounds again! Top 16 gone! Rage!

Round 5: ANT
    Game 1: Land. Ritual? RItual? Ad Nauseam? That's all she wrote. Or he said.
    Game 2/3: I win because he tend to keep shitty hands and I play Hatebears. Gaddock. And the Canonist. Or vice versa.

3-2

Round 6: Uw Terminus
    We play 2 rather short games. He is manascrewed game 1 although he has a Top in play. He plays Terminus in his last possible turn, but I have a fetchland for Dryad Arbor open and a Jitte with 2 counters in play. I honestly can't remember the second game. He mumbles something like "my deck hates me". I only remember that a friend asked if we are really done with 2 games after 15 minutes and I answer "yes".

4-2

Round 7: BUG Control
    We start a really long game where his Snapcaster and his Liliana keep my board in check. His Liliana is on the verge of ultimating for about two turns which offers me the possibility to resolve a Sylvan Library because we both have no cards in hand. From this point I turn the game around because I draw 2 cards for two consecutive turns. I win some turns later. The round clock shows 20 minutes left and he tells me that he will play faster now. Ok for me. I absolutely hate it when someone stalls a game so I won't do it either. Game 2 happens to be very short. He starts with Underground Sea, I with Hierarch off of a basic land. He draws and sais "go". Good player that I am I waste his land and attack. He plays nonbasic again. VERY good player that I am I waste his land and play Thalia. He draws and concedes.

5-2

In between rounds I met some fellow germans and support them in their plan to get "shit drunk". I tell them that I cannot lose anymore which results in laughter. We'll see.

Round 8: BUG control
    I don't remember game 1, but I won.
    Game 2 I have a slow start, my opponent on the other side plays Innocent Blood, Hymn, Liliana and Jace. Nice.
    Game 3 we start to waste each others lands and I get a Mother active. He plays land, passes. I draw Mother, play it. He plays land, passes. I draw Mother, play it. Still on 1 land. He draws and passes. I TOPDECK Gaea's Cradle. My opponent wants to bite the table and curses in spanish. I play Knight, next turn another one and Thalia, after which he concedes. He shows me the deed he drew one turn too late. Sometimes this happens.

6-2

Yeah, win-and-in...kind of. "In" prizes, to clarify, which go down to 64th place.

Round 9: RUG
    I play against an Italian guy who plays RUG which I know because I watched a match from him in the second round. Yay for byes!
    Game 1 I win because of Cavern of Souls. Playing uncounterable Knights is THAT good :D
    Game 2 is a typical Tempo game. He plays Delver, flips it and answers all my threats till I'm dead.
    Game 3 I have a hand of 2 Hierarchs, 2 Oozes and 2 basic lands (1 of each) after a Mulligan. Long game short: Ooze > his 3 Mongeese/Tarmogoyf. I should mention that I made quite some mistakes this match but luckily they didn't matter.

7-2

I end up in 36th place, winning a Taiga. I am quite happy with the result, although I threw away Round 4.
    BOM was a good tournament again, although space is more and more of an issue. Some players had even to play in pavillons outside. The organizers should think about moving to another site (and to provide better Coverage for my fellow Sourcers overseas ).
    Next year I'll try to overcome the "curse" of losing my first two rounds!

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Re: The BOM Curse (36th place)

Congrats on placing out of over 700 players. Any changes you think you would make to your deck?

I am planning on two Caverns for my deck; although I found keeping one as your only coloured mana source was not a great plan...
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Jun 2009
    Germany

Keeping one colored mana source is never a plan, I think
    I wouldn't change anything in the deck right now, but you could change some cards in the SB, depending on your meta.

Thanks for the report. You should write an article, 'Next Level Wasteland Versus One Land Non-Basic Keeps'.

Thread Information