Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] W/x Parfait (Tax/Rack Control)

Re: [Deck] W/x Parfait (Tax/Rack Control)

i too, still have a singleton baneslayer angel in my sideboard, though sometimes i take her out for a genju of the fields or an Assemble the Legion because i like to change things up from time to time..

on another note, i'd like to recommend some banishing lights in lieu of some copies of oblivion ring; two reasons: so that show and tell players can't get you by putting a land in play..how? a good show and tell player, if they know you have the oblivion ring in hand and you have like another permanent in play like maybe a land tax or a scroll rack or anything, will cast show and tell and you will put your oblivion ring into play and then they will put down a land, like a scalding tarn in play and suddenly the only legal target is one of your permanents..whereas with banishing light, you'll just have another permanent to sacc and survive a few emrakuls..

..another upside to this is that it acts as a hedge against extraction effects..

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Against show I'm not worried about that. I mentioned winning off of their show and tell for a reason.

Also that's only one reason.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

https://www.twitch.tv/paragoncitygames

To anyone interested in seeing the deck in action, I convinced these guys to build it on modo. They will be playing my version of the deck @10AM mst tomorrow (2018/02/28).

I'll be there (in the chat) to try and help the poor guys out as they make critical misplays

Last edited by Cpt-Qc; 02-28-2018 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Qc View Post

To anyone interested in seeing the deck in action, I convinced these guys to build it on modo. They will be playing my version of the deck @10AM mst tomorrow (2018/02/28).

I'll be there (in the chat) to try and help the poor guys out as they make critical misplays

sweet!

And it's over. Replay can be found here https://www.twitch.tv/videos/233725982 for a few weeks.

They made some pretty bad plays/keeps that made me want to tear out my fingernails but it was still a good showcase for what the deck can do. The league should have been an easy 3-2 but they literally threw away 2 games ending at 1-4.

Helping people sideboard through twitch delay isn't easy when modo is timed! I did my best to try and steer them in the right direction but the lack of experience cost them time too and you need to play fast when you're a control deck.

Good fun to watch! I caught all but round 1. We need a quinn stream now to figure out the best enlightened tutor deck. 1-4 shouldn't be hard to beat :p.

I pondered the many shells that existed before I got into Parfait and Quinn just feels so much worse. The card draw engine is slow, weak to wasteland and random. It would require 9 mana over 3 turns to just equal 1 Land Tax activation (which you don't even have to work for if you're on the draw) . "Maybe draw 1 for 3mana" < "Definitely draw 3 for 0 mana" in my book.

Besides, you can always modify parfait to fit your needs aside from the engine (you could always play the rest of the Quinn deck if you wanted). The fact is Land tax is by far superior to scrying sheets.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

In a world without Top, Quinn is a shell of itself. Scrying Sheets was never supposed to be random, but those days are gone now. Like tears in the rain.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    In a world without Top, Quinn is a shell of itself. Scrying Sheets was never supposed to be random, but those days are gone now. Like tears in the rain.
    I find it funny that Quinn moved to the "established decks" although it became almost unplayable

^why isochron scepter in place of the 4th diamond?

Scepter isn't replacing a diamond, they're not related at all. It is a soft win-con with a possibility to be a hard one in some MU. It did push Prison to the side since I need it way less.

Besides, 18-19 lands isn't enough for 4 Diamonds. I tried the fourth diamond and chrome but both were awkward so I ended up adding a 19th land. I left one different art plains to know when I would have gotten that card and it's always been better as a plains than it would have as a diamond/chrome/opal.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Well because it's taking me a while to watch that stream....

Parfait was originally a vintage deck. It was named by Raphael Caron (K-run was his handle iirc) the perfect deck, more specifically le deck parfait. Has nothing to do with cereals or deserts.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

So does the new orb of something from dominaria make it into our deck? It's the one that hoses big Mana decks and storm. Also I played a silent gravestone in my legacy deck this weekend and holy hell it was good. It hit snapcaster, Drs, reanimator, etc. Should we throw a one of main board?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hurlman81 View Post
    So does the new orb of something from dominaria make it into our deck? It's the one that hoses big Mana decks and storm. Also I played a silent gravestone in my legacy deck this weekend and holy hell it was good. It hit snapcaster, Drs, reanimator, etc. Should we throw a one of main board?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    About the new card, I don't really care for it mainly because decks that play sol lands are usually not very good against us (most have no counterspell and thus leave us open to etutor whatever locks them out). I'm also fine letting my opponent cast big eldrazi and stuff only to wrath the board next. Storm isn't the best pre-board but we have enough tools to make it even post-board already. I don't believe it's a matchup that needs more fixing.

Maybe I'm missing something but what does Gravestone do for us that RIP doesn't do better already? It seems like a waste of a slot since I play 7 RIP + 4 chants.

I think sphere likely deserves a spot in the 75 of enlightened tutor decks. The question for me is if it's md or the sb. It's obviously good vs storm decks/elves/eldrazi/cloud post/aluren/food chain/enchan tress. But...I'm not sure how good it is vs the 4 brainstorm/4 ponder decks with snapcaster or young pyromancer. It definitely makes these cards worse. Just not sure if it slows them down enough to make the card maindeck able.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

I'm intrigued by it, but trinisphere already does a lot for us by attacking the cheap mana decks and forcing lands to be played.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    I think sphere likely deserves a spot in the 75 of enlightened tutor decks. The question for me is if it's md or the sb. It's obviously good vs storm decks/elves/eldrazi/cloud post/aluren/food chain/enchan tress. But...I'm not sure how good it is vs the 4 brainstorm/4 ponder decks with snapcaster or young pyromancer. It definitely makes these cards worse. Just not sure if it slows them down enough to make the card maindeck able.
    This absolutely needs to be sideboard if you do use it. It's not good enough to slow down cantrips and snapcasters decks. On a typical cantrip->land drop turn, sphere does nothing. On a snap->cast turn, sphere adds 1 cost. 3Ball adds 2 cost on a regular basis and 3+ in a snap-cast scenario.

I don't think the lands part of d.sphere is very relevant for this deck (elves and sol lands decks are already very good matchups). That leaves us with the canonist part. If it were to be played, it would probably have to replace a canonist. You could always do 1/1 split (this is a little less effective but it's also harder to get rid of).

Apr 2016
    Germany

Hi,
    I playing around with a UW version of Land Tax over the last months

Here is what I come up with and run threw 53 online matches and a 3rd Place in our local store

Cards selection:

Land Tax & Scroll Rack
    -> main engien of the deck

with their friend
    4 Mox Diamond

and
    Daze
    a lot of players try to donīt trigger Land Tax so Daze is a hardcounter and a go friend
    with helps us to "Force" our Land Tax in the early turns into the play
    it also is an entabler for Land Tax and really does a great job I start with 2 now I run 4 since 3 weeks and it works wounders

Trade Routes
    is the last entabler for Land Tax and allow us to play normal UW Enchantress with Land perma go and still get
    Land Tax activations later

the second synergy of the deck is arround

Rest in Peace
    super strong vs all kinds of
    Deathrite Shaman, Snapcaster Mage, Kolaghan's Command, Life from the Loam & ofc Reanimator and Dredge

to abuse our RIP I play
    Energy Field & Web of Inertia
    E-Field is not new but the Web is a nice tech vs Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    and can stay alone vs decks like D&T
    and our fast kill in the form of Helm of Obedience

Enlightened Tutor
    just 2 E-tutor to find our cards and our SB 1 offs
    because of the virtual card disadvantage just 2

Path to Exile
    as our basis point removel with can entable Land Tax

Brainstorm
    because we run blue and can play the best card in Legacy
    also nice way to use it rsp to L-Tax trigger to shuffel cards away and so on

Counterbalance
    with I consinder as the 3rd synergy card of the deck plays so nice with
    Brainstorm, Enlightened Tutor, Scroll Rack, Trade Routes and Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Humility
    we donīt want to remove every singel creature we want hide behind a lock
    so we donīt want cards like Dark Confi stick arround for ever or let them the gszw pridemage out
    also super strong vs Sneak&Show Decks

Back to Basics
    Jim Davis showes the power of the card in the 4c Control vs 3c Delver 2018 Legacy Meta

Detention Sphere
    to remove random ugly cards
    also nice vs Show&Tell

Note: because of our combo finish when we have an ok board we donīt fear Jace

Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    still not sure here I tried 0-3 and change it
    problem is he is not allive behind our E-Field Lock
    and another clunky card with high CC on its own

Tundra
    95% in because the T1 Etutor into T2 C-Balance start vs Storm

Flooded Strand
    donīt forget you can fail to find to get L-Tax going

Sideboard Breakdown:
    Pithing Needle
    Sneak Attack Thespian Stageīs AEther Vial and so on

Ethersworn Canonist
    vs storm combo

Aegis of the Gods
    vs combo

Back to Basics
    Jim Davis showes the power of the card in the 4c Control vs 3c Delver 2018 Legacy Meta

Karmic Justice
    vs a-decay p-deed and co

Nevermore
    an all star vs combo and vs a-decay

Porphyry Nodes
    really an MVP vs Delver DRS TNN decks
    also super nice vs D&T

Humility
    vs GSZ Decks (Elves, Maverik, Aggro Loam)
    and Show and Tell // Big Red kinds of Decks

Force of Will
    not sure I want a counter 70% for the combo matchup and 30% for the hcontrol matchups like Miracle (NOT for Czech Pile)
    because I faced a lot of combo lately I run Force overall Swand Song is maybe the better choice

Entreat the Angels
    I just want a second win coin normally I board 1 Helm out
    and bring the Entreat in every game not sure maybe MB
    we run the best Miracle entablers
    Brainstorm, Scroll Rack and Jace, the Mind Sculptor

This leaves us with this Decklist:

WU Land Tax

// 60 Maindeck
    // 10 Artifact
    4 Scroll Rack
    4 Mox Diamond
    2 Helm of Obedience
    // 18 Enchantment
    1 Web of Inertia
    1 Trade Routes
    4 Rest in Peace
    4 Land Tax
    2 Energy Field
    1 Detention Sphere
    3 Counterbalance
    1 Humility
    1 Back to Basics
    // 13 Instant
    3 Path to Exile
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Daze
    4 Brainstorm
    // 18 Land
    3 Island
    10 Plains
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Tundra
    // 1 Planeswalker
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 Aegis of the Gods
    SB: 1 Back to Basics
    SB: 1 Karmic Justice
    SB: 1 Nevermore
    SB: 3 Porphyry Nodes
    SB: 1 Humility
    SB: 3 Force of Will
    SB: 1 Entreat the Angels

What we want:

1. one cc5 spell MB to CB the Force maybe
    Batterskull Sphere of Safety Sigil of the Empty Throne Future Sight ???

2. Damping Sphere
    as soon this card comes out 1 will go SB to make our BIG Eldrazi Matchup better
    for 1 P-Nodes or 1 E-Canonist or 1 AotG depends on the Meta

For the rest of the Deck I am so far really happy and open for Feedback
    Last edited by Arcanis001; 03-20-2018 at 05:40 PM.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

...well that was hard to read.

So before anything else, you are claiming approx 60 games so I'm curious what your record looks like.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Apr 2016
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    ...well that was hard to read.

So before anything else, you are claiming approx 60 games so I'm curious what your record looks like.
    sorry for that

Here are my matchups from our store and online
    same 75 only diff is 1-3 Jace and SB: 3 Force or 3 Swan Songs

5:0 Chandra Moon
    2:0 Big Red

3:2 Sneak & Omni Show
    1:4 ANT (feelt a bit unlucky with my draws)

4:1 BR Reanimator
    3:0 0 Mana Dredge
    2:0 Mana Dredge

6:0 UR Delver
    3:1 Grix Delver
    0:3 BUG Delver (4 Hymn & 4 Decay)

6:3 Czech Pile (depends on their version vs Bigger Pile I have more problems)
    2:3 3c Leovold (3 Hymn & 2 Decay & 2 Tseize SB: 1 Hymn 1 Decay 1 Grip)
    4:2 Miracle

1:0 Maverik (I think I got quite lucky here)
    1:4 BIG Eldrazi (fast B2B or super fast combo only outs waiting for Damping Sphere)

Total:
    43:23

Winrate: 65%

21.3.2018 66 Matches with this ~75 cards

% represents not the meta because of small sample size and the meta of our store

Edit:
    Forget
    1:0 vs BUG Nic Fit
    &
    2:0 vs BGw Nic Fit
    witch we played in our store after the tournament

Thread Information