Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] W/x Parfait (Tax/Rack Control)

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Re: [Deck] W/x Parfait (Tax/Rack Control)

4 Land Tax
    3 Scroll Rack
    3 Wrath Of God
    4 Orim’s Chant
    3 Oblivion Ring
    4 Path to Exile
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Solitary Confinement
    1 Ghostly Prison
    1 Zuran Orb
    1 Humility
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Ivory Tower
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Mox Diamond
    1 Mox Opal

2 Rest In Peace
    2 Helm of Obedience
    1 Goblin Charbelcher

2 Mountain
    16 Plains

Sideboard
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    3 Timely Reinforcements
    1 Baneslayer Angel
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 Rest in Peace
    2 Ethersworn Cannonist
    1 Nahiri, the Harbinger
    1 Council's Judgement

That’s the list I have posted on salvation. I swear I lost the opal for another mountain. To be fair I haven’t played much since COVID and the band taking off. I otherwise continue to stay the course. Blank opponents cards and have a toolbox that beats my opponents. Tax/rack is the recovery engine that combats the 2:1 I’m doing. If that goes on early great. In the end the longer the game goes the more assured you are of winning. Things don’t need to survive indefinitely, just long enough.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

May 2015
    PDX

Your opponent has a Karn. You lose.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

I don’t. But good try?
    The Parfait Meta-Game

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    I don’t. But good try?
    No you do. Your entire deck in the face of 1 Karn is reduced to three copies maybe-removal spell. Meanwhile they have their entire deck to stop you from getting an O-Ring...or just killing it to instantly re-up the Karn. With that Karn passive in play the entire rest of your deck does nothing...no wincon...nothing. They don't even need to activate the Karn.

Now that's just the raging autoloss flaw, on top of all of the other things that break up your ability to assemble a megazord. You still have unacceptable death by variance from Mox/Tax/Scroll flood.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    To be fair I haven’t played much since COVID and the band taking off.
    Enchant/artifact strategies dropped since pre-COVID. The Legacy format changed a lot. Your traditional list looks a lot better in a ~2018 meta.

You can't even count on things surviving "long enough". Opponent will Prismatic Ending, Force of Vigor, Meltdown, GSZ for Ouphe etc. before you untap. The format was forced to shift to more answers to deal with rampant Urza's Saga decks and Emry/Karn decks. Enchantment/artifact control suffered as a consequence.

Edit: BoshNRoll's video proved that. Mox often got 2-for-1d early. He never successfully assembled Land Tax & Scroll Rack and ran into a ton of dead topdecks (Plains flood, Mox, Scroll Rack #3). Bad draws meant losing every match vs fair disruptive decks, only beating storm. But Storm autoloses to 4x Orim's Chant + 2x Deafening Silence + 2x Ethersworn Canonist + 3x ETutor + 4x RiP + 3x Karn + 20x Squire... the Parfait part didn't do anything.
    Last edited by FTW; 08-19-2022 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    It doesn't matter if you're still in the abyss that is 10 slots of death by variance. You cannot play Mox Diamond any more here. Scroll Rack is dropped to a 2x called Currency Converter. Land Tax is no longer allowed to be a dead topdeck, you have to use E Tutor to act as the virtual 2nd and 3rd copy of Tax.

You can't tune your way out of the burning house. You have to address to 800 pound gorilla that is Mox/Tax/Scroll. It's as regressive as it is costly (Mox is what 600, Tax is 40)
    Don't get me wrong, its not like its suddenly a competitive deck with those changes but if you're going to play Scroll/Tax you may as well optimize the list. To be fair to Bosh, he plays what the viewers pay him to play so its not surprising he frequently plays lists that are suboptimal.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Blood View Post
    Don't get me wrong, its not like its suddenly a competitive deck with those changes but if you're going to play Scroll/Tax you may as well optimize the list. To be fair to Bosh, he plays what the viewers pay him to play so its not surprising he frequently plays lists that are suboptimal.
    You cannot optimize your way out of losing b/c you ran 10 slots of self-sabotage with Mox/Tax/Scroll. If you fail to address those 10 slots you cannot compete in this format.

It is so bad that you can cover up the other 50 slots, because they can not dig you out of the hole you've made for yourself with Mox/Tax/Loam. There is no amount of tuning or experience or player skill that can overcome a deckbuilding error that profound.

If you want to play the classic, there's only one competitive choice you can make: only play it in Premodern.

Sep 2011

To be fair to Bosh, he plays what the viewers pay him to play so its not surprising he frequently plays lists that are suboptimal.
    True, although in this case the Mox/Tax/Rack was the suboptimal part. He lost to never assembling Parfait in any game, getting pieces removed early, getting 2-for-1d on Mox, Scroll Rack locking himself without shuffle effects, Land Tax without ways to force it to trigger, dead drawing redundant copies, or flooding on basic Plains.

Fox's build addresses all of those problems. It doesn't assemble Tax+Rack as often, but it also doesn't get blown out by fair decks in those ways. Thinning plains is big too.
    Last edited by FTW; 08-20-2022 at 04:15 PM.

So at what point in moving away from Scroll/Tax/Mox are you just better off building Mono White Stompy? Chalice isn't as good as it was pre P-Ending but its better than the 1 drops in Fox's list, wouldn't you say?

May 2015
    PDX

So at what point in moving away from Scroll/Tax/Mox are you just better off building Mono White Stompy? Chalice isn't as good as it was pre P-Ending but its better than the 1 drops in Fox's list, wouldn't you say?
    Chalice isn't a good or reliable card (except vs decks where x=0 has text), and it leads to poor deck construction that gets hit by Wasteland...which traps you in the lose to Daze abyss. It's also not a combo to play Chalice and be drawing the 1 drops for Saga.

There's a previous post where I also explain how putting permanents into play that can't trade profitably vs FoV/Meltdown/Seeds/Serenity by recouping CA (i.e. sacrifice to draw) isn't effective. Super-Nuke the artifacts is a majority sideboarding strategy in legacy, that is probably only surpassed by super-nuke the GY and Surgical....so if you put out a Chalice, you are done playing permanent type artifact and enchantment...so now you're soldier stompy (tier 2, if we're being generous) or BridgeWalker (white here is worse than mono-red stompy shells). If you choose sorcery/instant, you now are a UW deck with Tomb & Chalice, that can't play 1-drops...and UW already has a massive problem with access to playable lifegain before adding Tomb.

In legacy if you're not playing an absolute diversity killer [Goyf-types, total hand destruction, or FIRE], it's a lot more important to pay attention to the bad things that can happen to you. Those bad things are going to come from meta netdecks, which means you know exactly this story ends. So we could play into blowouts/known strategies and also lose turns each time we drew redundant do-nothings like Chalice...or we could notice that all of the diversity killing clown cards don't work if they don't have mana...and when Cataclysm is the card denying the mana, they don't get to keep their PWs, and any dude they have left is already dead to spot removal, and March is able to mop up the rest.

^it's much more important to me that the opponent has to hemorrhage counterspells, every time I offer the trade. Chalice is not a must-counter, which means it is the reason my Cataclysm later on didn't resolve. If you're not on a tier 0, 1, or 1.5 deck you don't have the luxury of attacking irrelevant resources, especially if you also drive up your variance while doing that (redundant Chalice dead draws).

There's also the financial aspect of entry cost to legacy, and that concept extends to minimizing waste by building into an end-stage legacy deck while also developing familiarity with play patterns of that end-stage deck uses. Stompy deck pieces are expensive, they don't build into other decks, and you certainly don't develop non-Stompy player skill.

It is very challenging to auto-lose with this deck b/c your opponent needs to own 4x Usea and be on Thassa. People who play non-Doomsday Thassa cannot succeed in paper weeklies b/c other players Leyline-rage them out of the room for you. The only other thing this deck cares about is banned cards Mind Twist and Timetwister, so we already know what's going to happen to Day's and Echo. Outside of those things, it's very hard to not cash with this deck. Also, this deck murders budget legacy. You do not want to play DnT, Shadow, Stompy, fair dudes, discard tribal, Reanimator, SnT, Depths, Lands, Post, Elves, Delver, Uro, etc anywhere near this deck.

Sep 2011

There are a lot of good 1s to give up:
    Swords to Plowshares - Must go up to 4x March 4x Solitude and still lose 1 mana 1-for-1 vs big stuff like Murktide

Enlightened Tutor toolbox

Expedition Map toolbox (no Lotus Field -> cut Cataclysm too?)

Urza's Saga toolbox (can't reliably run many 1s and 0s with Chalice, maybe 2 targets total)

Land Tax - Even though there's only 1 copy, ETutor makes 3 virtual copies when you need it. There's also 1 Scroll MD + 3 virtual Scroll SB (Karn). Chalice means 0 Land Tax and then 0 Scroll, so you are fully off Parfait and have no late game card advantage.

Losing 3 tutor toolboxes means much more draw variance (already a problem with Stompy). Going down to 0 Land Tax + 0 Scroll means even less card selection and no card advantage. Then more variance by adding Ancient Tomb (which probably means cutting red and Burning Wish). That's a lot to lose just to gain Chalice @ 1 in less than 50% of games.

That's just goldfishing too. Against real players, like Fox said, it walks harder into the artifact hate everyone already has to run. I tried to Brainstorm what this deck might look like, but struggled. More fragile and higher variance.

//Lands: 26
    10 Plains
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Urza's Saga
    3 Wasteland
    1 Karakas

//Creatures: 12
    4 White Plume Adventurer
    4 Solitude
    4 Timeless Dragon

//Planeswalkers: 4
    4 Karn, the Great Creator

//Artifact: 7
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Zuran Orb
    1 Currency Converter
    1 Crucible of Worlds

//Spells: 11
    4 March of Otherworldly Light
    1 Sevinne's Reclamation
    2 Cosmic Intervention
    3 Cataclysm
    1 Restore Balance

//Sideboard: 15
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Angel of the Ruins
    1 Powder Keg
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Lion Sash
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Torpor Orb
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Archon of Emeria
    2 Spirit of the Labyrinth

White Plume gets Plains. Even if it dies you're up on cards. Seems decent.
    I increased numbers on Saga and Crucible because 4x Tomb makes the Saga beatdown plan a bit stronger.
    Unsure about Cataclysm vs Wrath, without Lotus Field to abuse the asymmetry. But with the higher creature count and the land recursion effects, Cataclysm might still work. Worst case it pitches.
    The SB needed some tweaks to have fewer 1s and more redundancy, because you can't ETutor for them. There are more hate pieces to bring in against combo, but many are creatures so they're playable against fair decks too.

But Fox's version gains significantly more card selection, tech, and variance reduction without Chalice

10 Plains
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    3 Urza's Saga
    3 Wasteland
    1 Karakas

1 Castle Ardenvale
    1 Plateau
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Lotus Field
    1 Hall of Heliod's Generosity

//Creatures: 8
    4 Solitude
    4 Timeless Dragon

//Planeswalkers: 3
    3 Karn, the Great Creator

//Artifact: 6
    1 Zuran Orb
    2 Currency Converter

1 Lodestone Bauble
    1 Expedition Map
    1 Relic of Progenitus

//Spells: 15
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Burning Wish

3 March of Otherworldly Light
    1 Sevinne's Reclamation
    2 Cosmic Intervention
    2 Cataclysm
    1 Restore Balance

//Enchantments: 2
    1 Land Tax
    1 Humility

1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Angel of the Ruins
    1 Powder Keg
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Ethersworn Canonist

1 Scroll Rack
    1 Cursed Scroll
    1 Hex Parasite
    1 Porphyry Nodes
    1 Overmaster
    1 Cataclysm
    1 Ruination
    1 Thought Distortion

Last edited by FTW; 08-20-2022 at 04:37 PM.

May 2015
    PDX

I'm currently down to 1x Scroll Rack in SB only. A second Currency Converter main does more (and in multiples I like activating one to put the discard exiled under the second untapped Converter); also it drops the mana curve while still turning lands from Tax into spells.

On the SB, the only decent sorceries I can find which are either uncounterable or pitch to Solitude/March or have value are Decree of Justice (better with Standstill) and Thrilling Discovery...but the latter has issue with Day's and Echo being legal and saying "draw" on my turn (in mid to late game) vs a format overloaded with Leo/Narset/Labyrinth passives. A SB Sevinne's is fine except everyone I play against sides in yard hate, so it only works well in game 1 - like I don't know what it is but like even back before 3cmc Teferi on UW Standstill I had like 2x SCM and always the yard hate came in from opponents, like clockwork. This represents a profound problem in their SB mapping rather than everyone being that bad at legacy - expect this boarding pattern when selecting Wish targets.

Sep 2011

On the SB, the only decent sorceries I can find which are either uncounterable or pitch to Solitude/March or have value are Decree of Justice (better with Standstill) and Thrilling Discovery...but the latter has issue with Day's and Echo being legal and saying "draw" on my turn (in mid to late game) vs a format overloaded with Leo/Narset/Labyrinth passives. A SB Sevinne's is fine except everyone I play against sides in yard hate, so it only works well in game 1 - like I don't know what it is but like even back before 3cmc Teferi on UW Standstill I had like 2x SCM and always the yard hate came in from opponents, like clockwork. This represents a profound problem in their SB mapping rather than everyone being that bad at legacy - expect this boarding pattern when selecting Wish targets.
    Your local meta must know how much you like cards like Timeless Dragon, Sevinne's, and the Heliod tech. Either that or they assume you're playing a worse Sharkstill with 4x Shark and Replenish, accidentally boarding against your other GY tech, lol.

What about Gift of Estates then? Pitches to Solitude/March, thins Plains, and ramps you when you can't cast the big stuff.

Otherwise 1 Prismatic Ending may not be the worst? If you're Wishing, you have at least 2 colors. Lotus Field makes a 3rd.

May 2015
    PDX

Gift of the Estates isn't really going to generate velocity in a board stall. My next turns will all be better b/c I have less odds of drawing a brick, but it doesn't help in that moment. As such the opponent is going to let it resolve and they're still going to have permission for the next spell that matters. It's kinda like RUG Delver bringing in Loam vs a deck with majority basic lands; it doesn't really do anything except cost them time and risk falling behind. You always need something else to capitalize on effects like these, and that's a bad gamble to add to a game of chance.

Ending kinda tops out at 2, unless magical Christmas happens and there's a mix of Lotus/Plateau/Petals (Currency Converter). Just like with Gift of the Estates, I need more things I can't count on to go right.

While CJ would make more sense, it's not uncouterable, doesn't create CA, and doesn't represent a game-ending effect. The chances are whatever I was going to try and CJ would get wiped by spot removal or invalidated by Humility or sacrificed to Cataclysm or not be a castable card b/c I've nuked their mana into the ground. If they errata CJ to kill a PW emblem, suddenly we have something to talk about. As it is, I can animate a Kaldra and either Karakas or Plow it or chump and lock it out with Karn passive or straight up exile with a full-7 March.

Those effects kinda lead to "but why wouldn't I just make that a Lattice"...and the reason I don't run Lattice is b/c it only wins games I've already won. I don't need to risk all-ins to steal games, I just need to restart the engine, and if I do that, any progress that CJ might have stopped probably isn't going to remain relevant if I keep throwing Cataclysms at them till they fall apart.

Kinda the last card that in all of the format that I sort of have an issue with is Progenitus, but even there I can Humility or easily buy a ton of draw steps with Zuran/Cosmic +/- Solitude lifelink. About the only thing I might want is the cheaper Tariff (moreso if it could hit any permanent I hit with Coating - a card that probably survives a game stall). I just don't feel the need to super overkill Progenitus/Murktide/Reanimator & SnT dudes, since I'm overboarded with maindeck ways to stop them.

The jankier thing than Thrilling Discovery would be Leave // Chance. I guess I could super overkill Kaldra with Dust to Dust. It's just very hard to find a card worth answering as compared to restarting the engine. Wreak Havoc is close to what I'd need to see in a card.

Sep 2011

While CJ would make more sense, it's not uncouterable, doesn't create CA, and doesn't represent a game-ending effect.
    But you already have uncounterable and game-ending effects to Wish for? (Cataclysm, Ruination & Thought Distortion)

The point of that extra wish slot was to have something useful for when you don't have the mana or position to use big mana game-ending effects. When you have 4+ mana and a board stall, Cataclysm is better.

But there are times when you cannot cast Cataclysm or Wishing for Cataclysm is too slow (e.g. not enough lands or losing to 1 permanent that would survive). You still want to be able to convert that Burning Wish, instead of having it be a dead card in hand. I assume that's how aedemiel found Wish to be dead. In that scenario, it's nice to have 1 Wish target that's castable under low resources and does something relevant. That's where I valued having the SB Ending/Sevinne's in Landstill. Even if not game-ending, it beats having a dead Wish in hand while losing. You could get Overmaster, but spending 1RR over 2 turns just to cycle is bad (unless you have the mana & cards to follow it up with Cataclysm).

Council's Judgment is probably the best option. It's the most likely to do something relevant when you can't afford to play Draw-Go until 4+ lands (opponent has played a must-answer). The only downside is mana cost. If you don't have 3 lands, or you need to play around Daze, or you have 3-4 lands but can't afford to pass the turn, then CJ is too slow. In that case, a 2-mana effect would still do something. That was my rationale for something other than CJ.

Prismatic Ending for WR should be enough in that scenario. It's not game-ending. It won't bail you out against high CMC problems. But if you're at risk of losing when you're low on mana, the thing you need to remove is probably 0-2 cmc, and costing less than CJ is better tempo. Tariff would be better against big creatures (Murktide, Griselbrand) but fails against low CMC problems (LED, Wishclaw, 1-2 mana threat, 1-2 mana hate piece), so it depends what are the biggest threats of fast losses.

Gift of Estates was to ramp from 2 to 5, if you already have good effects in hand but lack the mana to use them fast enough. Then it not only thins to improve draws but also ramps you out of manascrew. Again, it was to address the low resource situation where Wishing for the big mana game-enders is too slow to save you.

Thrilling Discovery could also work as a 2-mana hail mary. You can hope to randomly draw into mana and answers. It works even if you don't have fewer lands. However it requires red mana (pass-the-turn because your red source tapped to cast Wish). It also leaves you with fewer cards and more dependence on random draws vs your position after casting Gift.

Leave // Chance could also dig you out of a bad position, but costs much more mana to do so. At that point you could afford the big spells instead.
    Last edited by FTW; 08-23-2022 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    There are a lot of good 1s to give up:
    Swords to Plowshares - Must go up to 4x March 4x Solitude and still lose 1 mana 1-for-1 vs big stuff like Murktide

Enlightened Tutor toolbox

Expedition Map toolbox (no Lotus Field -> cut Cataclysm too?)

Urza's Saga toolbox (can't reliably run many 1s and 0s with Chalice, maybe 2 targets total)

Land Tax - Even though there's only 1 copy, ETutor makes 3 virtual copies when you need it. There's also 1 Scroll MD + 3 virtual Scroll SB (Karn). Chalice means 0 Land Tax and then 0 Scroll, so you are fully off Parfait and have no late game card advantage.

Losing 3 tutor toolboxes means much more draw variance (already a problem with Stompy). Going down to 0 Land Tax + 0 Scroll means even less card selection and no card advantage. Then more variance by adding Ancient Tomb (which probably means cutting red and Burning Wish). That's a lot to lose just to gain Chalice @ 1 in less than 50% of games.

That's just goldfishing too. Against real players, like Fox said, it walks harder into the artifact hate everyone already has to run. I tried to Brainstorm what this deck might look like, but struggled. More fragile and higher variance.

10 Plains
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Urza's Saga
    3 Wasteland
    1 Karakas

//Creatures: 12
    4 White Plume Adventurer
    4 Solitude
    4 Timeless Dragon

//Planeswalkers: 4
    4 Karn, the Great Creator

//Artifact: 7
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Zuran Orb
    1 Currency Converter
    1 Crucible of Worlds

//Spells: 11
    4 March of Otherworldly Light
    1 Sevinne's Reclamation
    2 Cosmic Intervention
    3 Cataclysm
    1 Restore Balance

1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Angel of the Ruins
    1 Powder Keg
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Lion Sash
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Torpor Orb
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Archon of Emeria
    2 Spirit of the Labyrinth

White Plume gets Plains. Even if it dies you're up on cards. Seems decent.
    I increased numbers on Saga and Crucible because 4x Tomb makes the Saga beatdown plan a bit stronger.
    Unsure about Cataclysm vs Wrath, without Lotus Field to abuse the asymmetry. But with the higher creature count and the land recursion effects, Cataclysm might still work. Worst case it pitches.
    The SB needed some tweaks to have fewer 1s and more redundancy, because you can't ETutor for them. There are more hate pieces to bring in against combo, but many are creatures so they're playable against fair decks too.

But Fox's version gains significantly more card selection, tech, and variance reduction without Chalice

10 Plains
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    3 Urza's Saga
    3 Wasteland
    1 Karakas

1 Castle Ardenvale
    1 Plateau
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Lotus Field
    1 Hall of Heliod's Generosity

//Creatures: 8
    4 Solitude
    4 Timeless Dragon

//Planeswalkers: 3
    3 Karn, the Great Creator

//Artifact: 6
    1 Zuran Orb
    2 Currency Converter

1 Lodestone Bauble
    1 Expedition Map
    1 Relic of Progenitus

//Spells: 15
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Burning Wish

3 March of Otherworldly Light
    1 Sevinne's Reclamation
    2 Cosmic Intervention
    2 Cataclysm
    1 Restore Balance

//Enchantments: 2
    1 Land Tax
    1 Humility

1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Angel of the Ruins
    1 Powder Keg
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Ethersworn Canonist

1 Scroll Rack
    1 Cursed Scroll
    1 Hex Parasite
    1 Porphyry Nodes
    1 Overmaster
    1 Cataclysm
    1 Ruination
    1 Thought Distortion

I like the last list. I'm going without any creatures though, for now (old school parfait player). I'm also doing 3 Mox Diamonds and just added in 1 [[Karn's Sylex]] which Karn can of course re-fetch if he's not killed by it.

Wouldn't thazt guy be kinda cute in a W or UW shell with scroll rack ?

Quote Originally Posted by FFreak View Post
    https://static.cardmarket.com/img/d9ab88d2bcae3842fcaf7df781d558f9/items/1/40K/675710.jpg

Wouldn't thazt guy be kinda cute in a W or UW shell with scroll rack ?
    Do you think that it's a good deal to spend on scroll rack and another on activating it to get a + = discount on casting a spell?

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

I play baneslayer. Evasion is good. Rack with miracles is a trap.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Has someone tried doomskar to replace wraths? I'm interested to try it.

Thread Information