Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] W/x Parfait (Tax/Rack Control)

Re: [Deck] W/x Parfait (Tax/Rack Control)

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    I don’t think we play enough artifacts worth protecting to justify even thinking about trying to do so. I’d rather just play more redundancy if I need to. To many cards need to be dealt with for me to consider protecting a portion of them. Null rod for instance is more of an issue.
    is this still your latest list? I'm going to take the deck for spin.
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1026108

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Looks to be. Although I think I may have lost the opal for another plains.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Today, I took the 2nd place at my local shop with my nearly mono white pile, which has a little green splash for City of Solitude and Sterling Grove.

First of all the list:

4 Plains
    4 Snow-Covered Plains
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Karakas
    1 Mistveil Plains
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    4 Windswept Heath

// Spells
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Land Tax
    4 Scroll Rack
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Sterling Grove
    3 Humility
    3 Moat
    2 Council's Judgment
    2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    2 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 City of Solitude
    1 Oblivion Ring
    3 Blessed Alliance

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 Leyline of Sanctity
    SB: 1 City of Solitude
    SB: 3 Damping Sphere
    SB: 3 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 Jester's Cap
    SB: 2 Rest in Peace
    SB: 2 Nevermore
    SB: 1 Rule of Law

Here some thoughts:

Humility combined with Moat is for many decks an automatic loss, which could be found or protected with Sterling Grove.

The City of Solitude were very strong against blue decks and protected me from instant speed Aether Vial and mana denial via Rishadan Port.

Blessed Alliance were chosen to deal with single flying creatures, TNN, Marit Lage and did a great job, explicit against UB-Shadow.

The most valuable cards in the sideboard was Jester’s Cap and Nevermore, because if you locked your opponent, you eliminate their threats with it.

I choose to play this very hard locking pile, because we must bring back real prison decks!
    Last edited by H4rbinger; 10-21-2018 at 04:12 AM.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

You won every game with just elspeth?
    The Parfait Meta-Game

You're right, Elspeth is nearly unstoppable (if you can handle the Needles and Spyglasses, but for this case I had Councils Judgement and O-Ring or returned Elspeth via Mistveil Plains into my library.)

That's a lot of Moat and Humility. And yeah, no real win-con except for Elspeth is pretty surprising.

This makes me want more planeswalkers now lol. Lately I've been on 1 Nahiri / 1 Gideon split. Wondering if I should add a second Nahiri or even replace Gideon.

Of course there is a lot of Moat and Humility, because you have to survive discard, counter spells and some removal. I like to have one off these at my opening hand, so that I can cast it really quick and tutor the missing piece. I think I doesn't have to remove planeswalkers of my opponent, because they aren't always a threat with a Leyline. (Edit: I casted Humility in one game 1st turn, with 2nd turn Sterling Grove.)

If I could lock my opponent then there was always enough time to find Elspeth. But there is offen the scenario, that my opponents give up, because they have nothing in their mainboard to deal with 4CMC enchantments. After sideboard I played sometimes only one Elspeth, because the time is on my side and Scroll Rack with Tax or fetch lands will find her early enough. (Here I have to mentioned, that I never reached the extra turns.)

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

What were you playing against?
    The Parfait Meta-Game

1. Round: UB-Shadow (2:0)
    2. Round: DnT (2:0)
    3. Round: DnT (2:1)
    4. Round: EsperBlade (a very close 3rd game): (1:2)
    5. Round: NicFit with 2 Knight of Autumn, 3 Deeds, 3 Trophys, 1 Reclaimation Sage + 4 Green's Sun Zenith (2:1)

I played a similar pile (but without City of Solitude) at an other event also against: BUG Dephts, 3 Miracles, 1 DnT, 1 BR-Reanimation, 1 As Foretold... But at this event I threw away three clear game wins (such as: My opponent plays a Thespian Stage and I decided to discard my Karakas into my mox.) I did so many mistakes... so embarrassing... nevermind...

There were some test games against:
    - Big Eldrazi (ok after sideboarding, All is Dust is preboard too strong),
    - UB-Shadow (felt 50:50),
    - Sneak and Show (Cunning Wish list could be strong, but without Release the Ants: Show and Tell into Humility is much fun),
    - Elves (felt as good match up),
    - DnT (felt as good match up).

Oh I get it now. Those are practically unlosable matchups :P Blade is slightly worse but still good imo.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Yeah that explains a lot. Against fair decks it’s fairly hard to lose. No fast combo or similar is why I feel skeptical about your list. One win con doesn’t feel strong to me
    The Parfait Meta-Game

I had some test games against BR-Reanimator with the list above: Preboard 9:11 for me and after sideboarding 13:16 for me. I recognized, that Rest in Peace isn't a good answer against this and other decks, so I change a bit of my sideboard to get space for Surgical Extractions.

I also talk to our local storm and dredge players, but we didn't find the time for extended test games, yet. One of them said, that preboard should be a nearly unlosable matchup for storm, if they didn't keep a too slow hand and I haven't a too fast hand because only a few TES-lists are playing a enchantment solution in their wish board (Void Snare or Consign//Oblivion). But after sideboarding the matchup is getting worse for these decks. Dredge is easier to stop even before sideboarding.

Nevertheless I will play with this pile at the next local store tournements with some little modifications and I planning to write here a short report in my aweful english...
    Last edited by H4rbinger; 11-04-2018 at 03:14 AM.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Rest In Peace is bad against reanimator? Was Iona ever played? Leyline is the only card you have that storm may care about... Somehow I feel like this is just raising more questions for me.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

In my opinion we can't think that simple. BR-Reanimator could be very fast, but this deck loses sometimes against itself. You're right the games, in which Iona hit the battlefield were in the most cases autoloss. But as I said, we shouldn't think too simple, we have to look at the probabilities of this deck. The problem with Rest in Peace is, that it is too slow and will be eliminated by Wear//Tear oder Reverent Silence. Surgical Extraction is in my opinion and my experiences a better choice, if you also have the possibility to hide behind a Leyline.

Also you're right, that only Leyline is before boarding a potential problem for storm decks, but again we have to think about probabilities and they also have to vomit enough goblins before Moat comes into play. And as I said, the first game will be a loss, but after sideboarding I have enough hate, so that the matches were more even.

But if I summarize the matchups against storm, dredge and BR-reanimator: You're right these decks seems to be the worst matchups, but at the moment there aren't to many players with these decks.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

I’m thinking more along the lines of the probability with your list against those decks. Your “hate” is only a problem if they are trying to win and they don’t have to deal with depending on how they are aiming to win. Taking 20 on the chin ignores moat and goblins only care about moat. Storm is still in a position where it deals with a single card that is “played” after its winning turn. I only mentioned leyline due to its 4cmc, and that only an issue if assassin’s trophy doesn’t replace decay.

Rest In Peace is a card those decks need to deal with or they can’t play the game. Giving the bolt argument doesn’t change that.

I’m not sure what you are trying to suggest with “we can’t think that simple” but the commentary that followed seems off base. Apologies if that comes off as harsh.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Today I took the 6th place of 25 players.

I played against:

Round 1: Goblins (2:0)
    Round 2: Mono Red Prison (2:1)
    Round 3: Dark Depths (2:1)
    Round 4: Elves (1:2) (Just to mention it here: This guy draws always like he sleeps with the god of fortune)
    Round 5: Mircales (0:2)

The problem against Mircales was the fact that he had all (and this very quick) of his counterspells in the first match.
    I had to take mulligan down to 5 against Miracles, and then he was able to counter three land tax and I remained with one land for several turns. I saw no City of Solitude...

I change my list a bit to the following one:

// Lands
    4 Plains
    4 Snow-Covered Plains
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Karakas
    1 Mistveil Plains
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    4 Windswept Heath

// Spells
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Land Tax
    4 Scroll Rack
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Sterling Grove
    3 Humility
    3 Moat
    3 Council's Judgment
    2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    3 Leyline of Sanctity
    3 City of Solitude
    1 Oblivion Ring

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 Leyline of Sanctity
    SB: 3 Damping Sphere
    SB: 3 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 Jester's Cap
    SB: 2 Nevermore
    SB: 1 Rule of Law
    SB: 4 Surgical Extraction

Again I had no problems to cast early enough (approximate: turn 3) Humility, Moat and Leyline except against Mircales. Also I dodged Storm again, but I'm still thinking, that the win chances after sideboard are not too bad, but this is just guessing.

Jul 2013
    Chile

I have been with trouble against Landstill (using almost the same BDI parfait deck, without red splash). The opponent always force of will my main pithing needle (targeting jace), or a land tax, or trinisphere, or Helm of Obedience. I loose against mishra factory, mith realized and/or jace.
    1) some advice against landstill deck? we don/t play with sideboard
    2) is a good option to cast orim chant / silence in the beggining of MY TURN, to (worst scenario) force a counterspell and if pass, secure my next move?

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Blood moon would help. Access to blasts would help.

Since it’s not a fast game you should only really need to resolve a win con. The rest of your cards can be countered, and ideally should be, so you can cast chant and win.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Yesterday I played the same list as posted before. I played 2 : 2 : 1...

Round 1: Dredge (1:2)
    Match 1: In the first round I kept a hand based on Land Tax, which does nearly nothing against him. This war the moment I regret, that I took all Ghostly Prisons out of my deck, because I had a Tutor, a Plains and an Ancient Tomb... But without Ghostly Prison I was too slow.
    Match 2: I took a Mulligan to 5 because I had no Lands in my hand. I played my Cage, which was instantly answered with a Nature's Claim. My first and my second draw were Surgical Extractions and they gave me enough time to install my lock with Nevermore on Serenity and Sterling Grove. But the Narcomoebas still beat me to 4 life until I found a Humility.
    Match 3: Again there was a first turn Nature's Claim to my Cage and I had no Leyline to hide against his therapies, so that he could beat me slowly with one Ichorid into one zombie token down... Again I missed my Ghostly Prison here, because I had one turn too less to cast Moat.
    The match up was not that devasting as you mention, but I have to improve it, because Dredge becomes more popular.

Round 2: BUG - Control (2:0)
    Match 1: First turn I resolved a City of Solitude and I could do what I want. I locked him piece by piece and I searched for an early Sterling Grove to avoid his 3 Assassin's Trophies.
    Match 2: Two early Bitterblossoms made my play a bit complicated, but hiding behind my Leyline I found all my 3 Humilities but only one Moat and was too happy, because he didn't choose to destroy my Moat. Then I removed his remaining Trophies and Golgari Charms and waited for the suicide via Bitterblossom.

Round 3: EsperDelver (1 : 1 : 1)
    Match 1: There was no resistance from his side and an early Elspeth and the game, but this guy was playing so slowly...
    Match 2: He was able to Extirpate my Moat and Humility and could get rid of my Elspeth. I conceded very fast, because of this slow thinking guy...
    Match 3: I totally dominated the board with and early resolved City of Solitude and found again quickly my Elspeth, but again this guy plays so slow... Two turns were missing to win this... This was the first time ever I reached the end of the round with my pile and these three matches could be played in approximated 20 minutes...

Round 4: Sneak and Show (0:2)
    Match 1: Show and Tell into Emrakul and I found no Humility with my deep digging Scroll Rack, but I answered with Council's Judgement. Then I made a mistake and couldn't remember excatly the order of my top library cards and exchanged one card to less to get rid of his next threat.
    Match 2: I couldn't resolve a Humility and he based his strategy on Sneak Attack which I couldn't answer...
    This was the first time I lost against this deck on a tournement.

Round 5: Death and Taxes (2:1)
    Match 1: Early Moat supported with two Swords to Plowshares, but a lonely Flickerwisp could beat me to death
    Match 2: A quick locked board were supported with an O-Ring on Ratched Bomb and a Nevermore on Council's Judgement.
    Match 3: He started as usual with Land and Vial, but I had Mox with Landtax, so that a very quick locked board after searching enough Plains and an Ancient Tomb in my hand save time to finde Jester's Cap to save the board. With Scroll Rack, fetch rack I found Elspeth to end this match. Again there were over 15 minutes left in this round.

Some thoughts:
    - I will bring back Ghostly Prison in my main deck, because I missed it sometimes
    - City of Solitude proved itself again
    - I will readd a Rest in Peace in Sideboard, which leads me to think about the Damping Sphere's which I will change to two additional Rule of Law. This results into a little weaker boarding plan against Big Eldrazi, but I think this will be okay.

I think you were right with the critical thoughts about Dredge and Storm, which leads to the thoughts from above.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Dredge doesn’t care about what you’re doing and plays out of the yard. They only care about the card stopping them, like storm. Otherwise it’s possible for them to play around some answers, and good players will. Leyline won’t stop therapies for example. When they can stop it doesn’t matter, city of solitude can help those decks that don’t want to interact.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Thread Information