Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Golden Age

Re: Golden Age

Right I get the difference, but what I'm saying is that raw CA in this deck does what tutors do in Maverick. Anyway, confidant makes sure we have enough ammo, and since there's no other CA or manipulation or anything, I think it is a good idea to keep him.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by k2thej View Post
    Right I get the difference, but what I'm saying is that raw CA in this deck does what tutors do in Maverick. Anyway, confidant makes sure we have enough ammo, and since there's no other CA or manipulation or anything, I think it is a good idea to keep him.
    Revoker, SFM and the taxing effects (in a subtle way) all feature C/A.

Quote Originally Posted by klaus View Post
    Revoker, SFM and the taxing effects (in a subtly way) all feature C/A.
    Interesting definition of card advantage. I see what you mean. Still though, confidant is mad good.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

@Vacrix- Yep. You win haha. Epic post. I'll include ranger in the primer instead of Pilgrim.
    Try to see if you can drop 2 lands to keep in the 2 Pilgrims. Its not that Pilgrim is bad but that Quirion Rangers is really, really good. So if you have 6 dorks, then you have better chances of getting that nuts Rangers + Hierarch/Pilgrim play. Also, being able to accelerate into a fast turn 2 play makes this deck more appealing to me. Quirion Rangers is only effective as a mana dork on its own if you've missed a land drop.

Concerning Confidant.. he quite strong and most deck that play him have a difficult time protecting him because they use countermagic while you can use Mother of Runes, and potentially Quirion Rangers to get the full value out of Mom.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Ranger doesn't really make your turn 2 faster though. If you have 2 lands it's the same thing- you get 3 mana on turn 2, the only difference is ranger is now on the field too, which is sweet. Just wanted to point out that if you don't miss a land drop then ranger doesn't really accelerate aside from putting herself on the field for free.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Faster in the sense of consistency. You can keep a hand with one land more easily if it also has Rangers in it.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

How does this deck beat Maverick or Goblins? You play pretty much the same cards as them, but your non-creature hate doesn't really affect them and they get real removal. I'm not super familiar with GW men decks, so definitely possible I'm not seeing something.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmuant View Post
    How does this deck beat Maverick or Goblins? You play pretty much the same cards as them, but your non-creature hate doesn't really affect them and they get real removal. I'm not super familiar with GW men decks, so definitely possible I'm not seeing something.
    Vs Maverick, this deck's biggest advantage is Dark Confidant. If the decks do more or less the same thing, but we draw more cards, then we win. Also, we turn off GSZ, which is their biggest strength.

Vs Goblins, Stoneforge just gets you there. It just carries the game all on its own, straight to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Ya what Mirri said, plus we can board out the thorns for some fatties from the board. Still figuring out what those fatties should be, probably crusader? He kills maverick. I also have riders of galvony in there right now, but I know they're quite expensive at 4. They sure seem great for merfolk and gobs though.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    Vs Maverick, this deck's biggest advantage is Dark Confidant. If the decks do more or less the same thing, but we draw more cards, then we win. Also, we turn off GSZ, which is their biggest strength.

Vs Goblins, Stoneforge just gets you there. It just carries the game all on its own, straight to victory.
    The Maverick MU should be unfavorable due to Glowrider and Thorn being basically dead draws - that simple.
    The Goblins MU is even more unfavorable (esp. w/o MD STPs) due to Glowrider, Thorn and Thalia being dead draws. We're talking about more than a third of the non-land cards here - and trust me SFM doesn't change that.

Dedicated Aggro will remain unfavorable with the current deck's focus - which is okay by me, since it improves several other MUs considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by klaus View Post
    The Maverick MU should be unfavorable due to Glowrider and Thorn being basically dead draws - that simple.
    The Goblins MU is even more unfavorable (esp. w/o MD STPs) due to Glowrider, Thorn and Thalia being dead draws. We're talking about more than a third of the non-land cards here - and trust me SFM doesn't change that.

Dedicated Aggro will remain unfavorable with the current deck's focus - which is okay by me, since it improves several other MUs considerably.
    If we board out some hate for killers like riders of gavony or absolute law against gobs though, wouldn't that make up for it?

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

If we board out some hate for killers like riders of gavony or absolute law against gobs though, wouldn't that make up for it?
    Aggro will bring creature hate too. Pre-board, I estimate the MUs like 30/70 and post board 40/60.
    On a different note: the printing of Terminus is actually good for GA, since it keeps Swarm Aggro down.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by klaus
    On a different note: the printing of Terminus is actually good for GA, since it keeps Swarm Aggro down.
    Not so sure that's true. From talking with a couple friends who popularized UW Miracles in the states and their conversations with Reid Duke (whose brother did well at the GP with Land Tax Miracles and Reid got first at a Super IQ with the same deck), the Goblins matchup is awful. Actually abysmal.

If any card is going to beat goblins, it's Moat, not Terminus. Terminus shines against Maverick (assuming they don't find Teeg) and Thresh.

Are there any other swarm combo decks that you care about? Elves could be difficult maybe?

Maybe you could try Meekstone in the board for Maverick? I think it hurts them more. Engineered Plague would help a bunch against Goblins (it's too bad you have so many humans in your deck, EPlague is good against Maverick too)

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

@klaus:
    Vs Maverick, those cards are very playable, if not ideal.

Vs Goblins, yes, they're effectively dead draws. Luckily Thalia first strikes and Stoneforge reads as "win the game", so things are not quite as bad as they may seem. Before you go further with those arguments, I suggest trying Stoneforge against Goblins. Afterwards, laugh heartily at their losses
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

For pure aggro. Peacekeeper + alt win. Or Natural Order - > Progenitus out of the board are just a few ideas.

I think against other aggro decks the best bet is to have the boarded in win-con be more fatties. We can board out the thorns for 4 fatties and be pretty fine. It's not like thalia and glowrider do nothing aginst maverick-especially in multiples. It makes it a lot harder for them to green sun and to sword our guys away at least, and they are bodies too.

Peacekeeper sort of changes the whole purpose of the deck, and with an alt win that would take too many sb slots

NO is not a creature, so 4cc+tax effects means it will be too expensive for this deck to cast with any sort of consistency.

Solution: Fatties in the board! Terravore or Crusader seem like good options, especially against maverick.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Solution: Fatties in the board! Terravore or Crusader seem like good options, especially against maverick.

Ah I forgot about her. Better than Riders of Gavony?

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Definitely. She's proven herself. I haven't seen Riders in a single list - ever. And I don't see anything "hidden-gem-ish" about them either tbh.

True, but it seems like riders would help a lot more against gobs and fish than linvala would

Thread Information