Thread: Animate Dead important question: unresolved judge call at SCG Seattle

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Animate Dead important question: unresolved judge call at SCG Seattle

Hey all,

There was an issue at SCG Seattle yesterday that remained unresolved when I left the convention hall at around 8pm.

I'll set up what I was told was happening.

Player A has a Gilded Drake in the graveyard. At this point, what is Gilded Drake's P/T?

Player A then casts Animate Dead, with the intention of targeting Gilded Drake.

Player B decides to use Stifle on Animate Dead.

The question is, what happens to the actual Animate Dead? Does it just go an Enchant the creature in the graveyard, but not return it to play? What happens?

-Matt

Timmy-Spike-Melvin . . . . . Level 2 Judge

Dec 2009
    Vienna, Austria

Re: Animate Dead important question: unresolved judge call at SCG Seattle

The P/T of a creature in a graveyard is usually its printed values.

If the first triggered Ability of Animate Dead ist countered, the Ability will do nothing, as any other countered ability. No creature will be returned onto the battlefield, and animate dead will not "lose "enchant creature card in a graveyard" and gains "enchant creature put into play with Animate Dead."".
    So animate Dead will be on the Battlefield, enchanting a creature card in a graveyard.

Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature card in a graveyard

When Animate Dead comes into play, if it's in play, it loses "enchant creature card in a graveyard" and gains "enchant creature put into play with Animate Dead." Return enchanted creature card to play under your control and attach Animate Dead to it.

When Animate Dead leaves play, that creature's controller sacrifices it.
    Enchanted creature gets -1/-0.

It's not a very difficult question anymore. Much more fun with past oracle wordings.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I think the confusion was there moreso with past wordings, for sure. Maybe they were confused from looking at past oracle.

Thanks all!

-Matt

Dec 2011
    USA

From what I understand, you would just have an animate dead in play like any other enchantment lol, it would be quite a thing to explain to onlookers walking by, seeing an animate dead in play as the players are drawing, attacking, saying go, and it keeps sitting there.
    Last edited by feline; 08-12-2012 at 04:56 PM.
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Dec 2003
    Portland OR

This used to happen all the time in 2003/2004 Type 1.5 in U/r Landstill vs. Dragon matchups.
    It's not a sin to be weak, it's a sin to stay weak.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

See: Spellweaver Volute, or the various Enchant Player Auras for that matter. An Aura permanent can enchant anything, not just another permanent.

What I do wonder is, does the "Enchanted creature gets -1/-0" ability also apply to an enchanted creature card? In other words, after the sequence of events described in the first post, could the Gilded Drake have been returned to play by a Reveillark? I think the answer is no (that 'enchanted creature' only means creature permanents) but I'm not sure.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    See: Spellweaver Volute, or the various Enchant Player Auras for that matter. An Aura permanent can enchant anything, not just another permanent.

What I do wonder is, does the "Enchanted creature gets -1/-0" ability also apply to an enchanted creature card? In other words, after the sequence of events described in the first post, could the Gilded Drake have been returned to play by a Reveillark? I think the answer is no (that 'enchanted creature' only means creature permanents) but I'm not sure.
    "Enchanted creature" means creature only - it won't give -1/-0 to anything not on the battlefield.

109.2. If a spell or ability uses a description of an object that includes a card type or subtype, but doesn't include the word "card," "spell," "source," or "scheme," it means a permanent of that card type or subtype on the battlefield.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information