Thread: SCG open, Legacy, July 1st 2012, Just one perspective out of the 187 total >^,^<

Dec 2011
    USA

SCG open, Legacy, July 1st 2012, Just one perspective out of the 187 total

(One special note, DURING ROUND 5, if you were near table 16! Please let me know if you heard all the crazy "pact your pact with the pact copy targeting your pact in response pact etc etc etc, I don't know why, but that was the craziest thing I ever heard all day, I didn't have time to pay too much attention to it though since I was still playing, and I'd like to know more about how so many pact's and copies and etc etc got that insane, it was obvious someone was playing hive mind)

I could write a big, detailed, boring intro, but I'll keep it short & get right to the good stuff. Lack of sleep, lack of money, & being out of the loop of "bigger magic events" since I had basically quit since 2007 (though I started up again in summer 2011 doing more casual stuff at local card shops) I almost did not go to the event, but because of a wonderful person who both provided a ride, $, & convinced me that I should really go, I decided to go literally less than 24 hours before the event was going to start...

Anyhow, since I started playing over the last year, I dumped type 2, went full on into type 1.5 instead, traded like crazy, & found myself following type 1.5 the same way I once followed type 2, & when I say follow, I mean looking at EVERYTHING, numbers, averages, statistics, metagames, mathematical probabilities (like, if 1/3rd of the cards left in your deck are land, 1 ponder is more likely to reveal 1 land & 2 non land cards than it is likely to reveal 0 -or- 2 lands, even less that it would reveal 3 lands) etc, etc, etc. So I was at least "in the loop" for the large metagame, even though I had not participated in one since 2007.

All of that, combined with the deck I absolutely fell in love with so much more than any of my others, led me to playing this:
    4 Candelabra of Tawnos
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Cunning Wish
    3 Flusterstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 High Tide
    2 Meditate
    2 Turnabout
    1 Wipe Away
    4 Merchant Scroll
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    4 Time Spiral
    11 Island
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Scalding Tarn
    Sideboard:
    3 Defense Grid
    3 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Blue Sun's Zenith
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Intuition
    1 Meditate
    1 Pact of Negation
    1 Rebuild
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Turnabout
    1 Wipe Away
    (If you have an interest in this deck yourself, then you already know how thrilling it is to play, even though I know it is boring as all get-out to play against for some people, so I apologize for that)

Since people are individuals, they always have their own perspective of reality, meaning we are not all the same, so if you have any questions about why I "did this" or "didn't do that" with my decklist, I would have to direct you to the High Tide section of the forums, because I don't want to spend 3 pages explaining everything, when the goal here is to post stuff like this...

Round 01) Table 40 - Opponent: Moni Samuel J, playing Maverick
    Game 1, I combo out before he get's enough threat to kill me, or enough hate bears to prevent me from going off, so I get a win.

Game 2, over the course of a few turns, i force of will a thalia, & flusterstorm a green sun zenith, now out of counters, out comes another thalia, a mother of runes (though mom is one of the reasons I use wipe away -vs- other bounce) play an aven mindcensor when I try to fetchland an island, which succeeds in preventing me from netting another island since I only saw 3 spells and a scalding tarn, then put the last nail in the coffin with a choke

Game 3, is alot like game 2, answer some stuff, but there's more hate bears than I have answers, and I can't get to my wipe away's fast enough when this time it gets to the point of, a thalia in play, a gaddock teeg in play, another choke & an enlightened tutor for an ethersworn canonist

so I start the tournament with a loss against maverick, which is tough since I can normally handle the deck, but just not that huge onslaught of that many hate bears, one is not unstoppable, you can bounce one, try to play around others, even choke becomes dead if I can start untapping my lands. But the combined effort can lock you out.

(Grats to Moni Samuel J, they placed 25th in the tournament)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 02) Table 50- Opponent: Yip Christopher playing B/W Stax
    (1 "special note" TABLE 50!!! I was right near the middle of 1 -to- 187 players, & I know there was some draws, & I possibly the one player at this point with a loss that got paired up? I found out I was, so I knew right there, it was better for my tiebreakers than sitting across from someone who was also 1 loss, talk about lucky!)

Game 1 they do marsh flats & get a scrubland so I'm thinking "ok it's probably deadguyale - b/w stoneblade right?" even after they chalice of the void for 1, I still thought it was B/W aggro possibly just "making a metagame choice of maindeck chalice" Luckily for me, I had a force of will for the chalice so I could still use my brainstorms/ponders/preordains & start setting myself up, eventually I combo out to a win before they lock me out.

Game 2, I pull off another win, but this time it's because of rebuild, you don't have to worry about countering chalice of the void for 1 or 2, or trinisphere if you can just at end of turn rebuild them and then go off next turn, which was my aim here. I did get to the point of force of will'ing a smokestack however, that or armageddon was a priority to be countered.

So now I am 1 win, 1 loss
    (Grats to Christopher Yip, they placed 29th in the tournament)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 03) Table 43 - Opponent: Adam Ruprecht playing Esperblade

Game 1 is eventually a "Blue Sun's Zenith you for the kill"

Game 2 is a loss, I don't remember the specifics but my note's say "thoughtseize" underneath the life totals (I could not write down too many "notes" for later for when I'd do these types of reports, because I was trying to prevent going to time playing the deck I was, playing ^.^)

Game 3 is a win that was close for a bit, the life totals say my life is "20, then 19, 17, 15, 13, 11, -win- -extraction- -4x- -1 turn's from meditate, High tide, islands tapping for 2, 3, 4, 5.
    -edit- This game 3 is actually His life total going 20, 19, 17, 15, 13, 11... Yes, my opponent went down to 11 life, because they casted surgical extraction FIVE TIMES against me! And if that isn't EXTREME enough, I even managed to PUSH THROUGH all that to make it THAT MUCH CRAZIER, though the 5th one was stopped, I'll elaborate on the madness & then analyze, though this is not a scenario I am too familiar with since it is EXTREMELY rare!: I don't remember all the specifics, I don't even remember how in the world I forgot about this game in the first place, but the first 4 targeted high tide ponder turnabout and force of will.

Naturally I sideboarded high tide & wished for it accordingly, & time spiral/cunning wish remove themselves from the game when resolved so that helps. The only thing after that is because the issue with fizzling after a resolved time spiral is not getting any new card draw, the fact that more non card draw spells (force, turnabout, high tide) were extracted -vs- card draw spells (ponder) the thinning of my deck of the non card draw spells doesn't hurt as much as it sounds as long as you can get a high tide to resolve, you can cunning wish for a 2nd one and your islands can still get to a point of tapping for 3 at a minimum, & since 1 wish = high tide, 1 wish = blue sun's zenith, the 3rd wish can get 1 turnabout back from the sideboard, and you can use merchant scroll to get any of those cards by simply resolving a time spiral and starting all over again. You'll just have to burn all 3 cunning wishes, tap candels more & cast more time spirals (meaning it'll just take longer in the end) From an analytical perspective anyhow, that's what I conclude. Still, when was the last time you had to eat surgical extraction 5 FLIPPIN TIMES, that game took forever for me to finally get there!

A very special thank you to Adam for reminding me of this, something that insane totally belongs in the crazy day I had overall, I can't believe I forgot about this part of it >^.^<

So now we are at 2 wins 1 loss
    (Grats to Adam Ruprecht, they placed 85th in the tournament)

Round 04) Table 36 - Opponent: Sean Sehr playing Esperblade (This person also placed 16th the previous year in Seattle during the reign of "Mental misstep" piloting U/W stoneblade)

Game 1 is a win, nothing written down really other than My life: 20, 15, 14 Meditate turn losses: -1 -2 High Tide Islands tapping for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Game 2 is a win, the only thing I distinctively remember is this happening & these thoughts in my head at the time: Their turn 4, they cast Jace the mind sculptor, & my thoughts are "OMG, they just tapped ALL their Islands, I think I'm going off next turn!"

So now we are 3 wins 1 loss
    (Grats to Sean Sehr, they placed 58th at the tournament)

Some "Half time" Notes after round 4: I kept seeing Maverick, EVERYWHERE, every round, either my opponent, or the matches to my left / right there was a maverick deck, the feature match at that time was even Cedric Phillips -vs- David Doberne in a MAVERICK MIRROR MATCH & one of the people from "our group" who was playing maverick themselves, was also in a maverick mirror match at another table, even saying afterwards that so far every round, they played multiple maverick mirror matches & our whole group couldn't believe how crazy that was. (I would love to see a "too much information" for Seattle Legacy, I have been expecting RUG to be the most popular deck by the numbers, but I swear maverick was the most represented deck here it really seemed that outrageous)

Round 05) Table 15 - Opponent: Daniel Sonderland playing Goblins
    (As soon as I see my opponent, I remember them, seeing that they were playing goblins against one of the people in "our group" during the earlier rounds, I even commented on it & apologized that I knew what they were playing & they likely didn't know what I was)

With that, I basically knew "ok, we're in a race, who kills who first?" Well maybe I just got a bit luckier than them, but I won the match between us, however, the match we played isn't what I remember most, it was the table next to us:
    Again, still round 05, I THINK Table #16, (The table next to us, not the match I was in myself) it was Hive mind on one end for sure -vs- (I just remember seeing green) the players, now confirmed by one of them themselves, was Daniel -vs- Brian, now confirmed as well as what actually happened, so you can read what I speculated happened at the time, or skip the green ink and scroll down to their post below >^,^<

One player has a Hive mind in play, and does something like "pact of the titan" (Forgive me if I have the order wrong or if this is not exactly accurate, it was flippin nuts, but since you're reading this, you probably know what "the stack" is in magic, and this was most ridiculously funny stack I have ever seen develop from something like this it was so nutty) After "pact of the titan, give you a copy" -I think- was an "in response, spell of some kind, give them a copy" which was then -I think- a "pact of negation, targeting spell, give you a copy" which -I think- was a then "ok in response I'll use my pact of negation copy to target your pact of the titan copy you gave me, in which I don't remember the rest at this point because it just went haywire!

In the next 2 minutes, they had to explain to eachother just exactly what they were chosing to do, targeting, the order of the spells in, what they were doing with their copies, & since they were pointing at the cards to show which one's they were referring to, to eachother, all everyone else heard was the word "Pact your Pact to target your Pact using my Pact copy for this Pact in response to Pacting that Pact" or something totally crazy like that, I swear the word "PACT" was used like 50 times in those 2 minutes..

A Judge got involved, the word pact was used like another 30 times! The judge had to go get another judge If I recall correctly, or had to go look something up, I just remember the judge leaving and then having to come back.

After a bit of time the word pact is used some more, the round only started not too long ago, everyone is still playing their matches, but me and im sure my opponent are kinda half paying attention to this situation as are just about every other match around that area, (I don't know how someone could NOT have noticed), I could not stop giggling it was so absurd! It was more hilarious than watching someone resolve a thieve's auction in a chaos match with a dozen people

I end the round with 4 wins, 1 loss
    (Congrats to Daniel Sonderland, they placed 32nd at the tournament)
    Round 06) Table 14 - Opponent: Warren Wittrock playing Maverick

Ok time for some Revenge against Maverick!

Game 1 says My life 20, 19, 18, their life 20, 19, 18, 17, USZ, Hi 2, 3, 4, 5, Medi -1 Win!

Game 2 says My life 20, 19, 18, 17, their life 20, 19, Hi Tide 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Medi -1 Win!

Some other pleasing news, my opponent that I lost to in round 1, was sitting right next to me, so that reaffirmed that my tie breakers were looking good!

So now I am 5 wins 1 loss
    (Congrats to Warren Wittrock, they placed 38th at the tournament)
    Then they post what I think is the next round but is actually standings, & I'm like "ok where am I at" only to discover I am in 8th place at this point, then I realized "oh crap, I'm playing a deck that is "less traditional." People usually want to see the "fun" or "crazy" stuff or "whatever is "different" instead of the same thing over and over Rug Rug Maverick Maverick Stoneblade Stoneblade Griselbrand Griselbrand etc etc etc. I realized that, unless it was done randomly, there was a serious chance I could get put under the camera, & while there is still pressure to do good, it's on a whole nother level when suddenly the commentators, judges, anyone in the room not playing, and 1000's of people on the internet are now watching you, & the pressure not to screw up under those conditions really started to weigh in on me and I was dreading the possibility that it could happen

Then of course it happens:

Round 07) Table 06 - Opponent: Gary Corbett playing Sneak & Show (Already their name sounded familiar and I even told them that before the match started as we talked for a bit, they said they knew I was playing high tide because "someone was talking about it" or something like that, & then pointed out the fact that I accidentally set my deck upside down on the table, there was a time spiral on the bottom, already I was nervous & made a mistake before the round even began! (This was before the match started)

Game 1 I pull off a win after a resolved griselbrand? If you want to know how that's even possible, it's all evident in the math, life totals, life loss of 7 to draw 7, losing 2 life to ancient tomb, losing 1 life to "free cast" force of will, it all adds up, AS WELL, drawing 7 cards from a 60 card deck with 4 force of will / 4 misdirection isn't a guarentee "draw a bunch of force of will type counters" & after doing the math, it's an average of just a little under 1 force -or- 1 misdirection per draw 7, though part of averages means that you'll sometimes draw 0, or draw 2+

Game 2 is a loss, so after my like 25 minute win, my opponent shows how much faster he can win & now we're 1 & 1

Game 3 I keep a hand with 1 land, 1 brainstorm, 1 preordain, 1 timespiral, 1 merchant scroll, 1 force of will & i think 1 defense grid

I feel it is necessary to explain the math on why I kept this hand because I know there are arguments against it, so bear with me

My deck is 60 cards, I start with these 7, I have 53 left, I can play a land, cast preordain, dig 1, 2, then a 3rd card if need be, not there yet? I'll draw a card on my next turn which could at this point be me seeing a 4th card, & then even brainstorm and see a 5th, 6th, & 7th card from my deck, that means that I can dig for as deep as 7 cards, & if my remaining deck (at the time of my mulligan choice) was 16 out of 53 cards, then roughly 1 in 3 -to- 1 in 4 cards in my remaining deck were lands, and I had the option to stretch it & dig as deep as seven before I'd potentially miss a land drop, I had an "average" of getting to 2 more lands, a little less likely, I'd see 1, or 3, and then the extremes were I'd see no land or 4+ lands (This doesn't even include the fact that I could also draw more ponder/preordain (brainstorm is a bit weaker in this scenario, the commentators even pointed out why in the commentary)

Now we get to take this into account, what does high tide need to actually go off? It needs a minimum, 1 high tide, 1 time spiral, 4 lands in play -or- 3 lands in play & 1 untap effect. That means I need a total of 6 cards to go off minimum, and in this matchup, I want some sort of back up (force of will of course ^.^) So I really want that as well (and any random blue card, whatever's weakest, to pitch to it)

Out of all those required cards I need, I have all of it (merchant scroll is just a high tide that isn't in your hand yet) EXCEPT for 2 cards, & BOTH of those cards are lands, & I know that with the law of averages, the math told me that it was likely I would see an average of 2 lands If I had to dig as deep as possible. It all meant that I was far less likely to get a better hand as a whole if I mulliganed, I was much better off keeping it. (now, if I didn't have the options I had from the 1 preordain & 1 brainstorm, and it was just 1 land and a bunch of 2+ cast stuff, then I would have obviously mulliganed)

After explaining all that, my opponent goes down to 5 and now I am REALLY feeling like I got this, & even if they get enough after a mulligan to 5, how likely would it be that they'd actually have everything they needed in their hand and on top of their deck, & how likely would it be that they'd have a force of will on top of everything else? My odd's were looking alot better than my opponents -though they are odd's & not guarantees- & after all that, you sometimes still lose even with the odds in your favor, which leaves me at the end of round 7 with:

5 wins, 2 losses

(1 other thing to note, I could have gotten a second force of will "instead" of a high tide with the merchant scroll when I used it, but I felt very confident especially with force of will back up already, that 1 would be enough since my opponent mulliganed to 5, I really had no way of predicting they would get an optimal setup after all that, and I had to use the math to assume that I was better off getting a high tide & getting ready)

(Congrats to Gary Corbett, they top 8'd the tournament and of course, got to compete in the top 8 >^,^<)
    Round 08) Table 08 - Opponent: Bauer Calvin playing Affinity

Game 1 I go off, but I fizzle against them, Yes, it's the last round, and for the first time tonight, I BRICKED for the first & only time that night, I guess it was bound to happen once!

Game 2 I go off before they can apply enough pressure, and there's a bonus, REBUILD!!! Tap, untap, tap, cast rebuild, replay candels, time spiral your permanents away & I get to continue comboing

Game 3, repeat game 2! Just had to get to the rebuild and I had pleanty of time after that!

So that ends that, 6 wins, 2 losses, playing at table #8, I was so close to top 8, & My 2 losses were to people that both I knew were doing well, and I got paired up round 2 after a loss, meaning that my tie breaker's were looking good, so there was the potiental to possibly get in. After talking to some of the staff however, the top 9 players were 6-1-1 or better, so I knew I was either 10th or lower, though it did confirm that I was right about the math on my tiebreakers, since I ended up finishing

6 wins 2 losses 0 draws - 10th place >^,^<
    (Congrats to my opponent that last round, Bauer Calvin, they finished 42nd & got some prize money too)

Some overall notes, I would have changed -1 defense grid for +1 pact of negation, against control defense grid resolving is nice, but against other combo decks, I have to sit on it and wait, and in either scenario since I only really need 1 in play to help "lock them out" as I start going off, preventing from doing anything for free after a resolved timespiral, I could have gone down to 2 and kept the 2nd pact of negation in the sideboard

thing's I am happy about, FLUSTERSTORM!! The card worked against opposing counters & green sun's zenith's (If I would have only seen one against Show & Tell)

The weakest card in my deck? Probably the grafdigger's cages, not because they aren't any good, but because I got lucky and never went up against reanimator or dredge, -however- grafdigger's cage does give you an out against green sun's zenith with the "come into play from libraries" part

I also learned a few things about myself, I've never watched myself play before, and from my perspective, my islands are obviously tapped, but from the camera, it was kinda "sloppy looking" -ive always tapped them "diagonally" instead of "completely sideways" because to me it's more attractive to the eyes or "prettier" if you will, than just turning them plain old sideways, but now I'm either going to tap them the "normal" way, or have to separate them, tapped lands from untapped lands.

Also when I play this deck I do everything I can to save time and go fast without messing up, when I blue sun myself, I normally put it on the bottom because I'm not going to draw it, so that when I'm done drawing, I can just start shuffling the deck right away, instead of having to pick up a card and put it in the deck AND THEN start shuffling. I rarely cut my opponents decks when I watch them shuffle legitimately because the time that saves overall add's up.

I like to look at my hand while I'm looking at the cards from a "ponder" or "preordain scry" or whatever, so instead of setting my hand down, doing the "top 3" or whatever, then picking my hand back up and comparing, It's just faster to do it & put the ponder 3 or scryed' 2 cards more quickly into different fingers on my hand instead, but since I'm now holding 2 sets of cards as 2 different rows on the same hand, it is what got the judge called on me about the ponder during game 1, so I just have to do that different now as well and remember to slow down a little to prevent that.

There is one other note that is a bit off the subject of everything, I bought a cd player but never listened to it because I spent so much time during each round, and so little inbetween checking up on our group and seeing how we were all doing, so I probably will not being music next time.

I also brought my trade because, I had always traded in the past between games, but this time I never got my trade folder out once, I was too excited and into the tournament to care! I didn't need any new cards, I already owned the 75 I needed because I was playing them (I am always working on some deck I don't have however, so I always have trade & stuff I'm looking for)

If you ever want to play type 1.5 anywhere in the south tacoma area, I go to tacoma every Sunday & Bonney lake every wednesday! We almost always have enough (with some exceptions, holidays or w/e else) for a tournament and it's always fun. Thank you again Dennis for everything, especially for convincing me to go, without that I would not be posting this or have come back from such an awesome weekend! It was really nice to once again be part of a group that went out & pushed magic at a big event, the last time I did that was like 5 years ago, & now it's left a bit of that familiar taste that leaves me already considering going back to playing like that again.
    Last edited by feline; 06-11-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: special note at top
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Vancouver

Re: SCG open, Legacy, July 1st 2012, Just one perspective out of the 187 total >^,^<

congrats on the finish, with a complicated combo deck (something i'll admit i've not yet mastered as a pilot).

i feel i should offer some constructive criticism—i was near you, seating-wise, for 3 or 4 of the rounds, and could hear you counting out loud for storm, meditates, untaps, high tides... the whole shot. i know these are necessary things to declare and keep track of when playing that deck, but only your own opponent needs to hear you. even at the adjacent table row, half the length down, i could hear ("X floating, cast turnabout" etc). it was incredibly distracting. keep it down!!!

Dec 2011
    USA

Re: SCG open, Legacy, July 1st 2012, Just one perspective out of the 187 total >^,^<

kk

I have just always had a higher voice for some reason, I don't know why, and it's hard to remember to speak a certain way sometimes, especially when I'm juggling all that, and thank you for being nice about it instead of freaking out on me >^,^<

Oh, were you in the area when that "pact his pact targeting pact to pact in response to the pact copy" shenanigans was happening? that was the most hilarious thing I heard all day, I'm still laughing about it as I type it out now.
    Last edited by feline; 08-12-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

I can tell you what happened in that round 5 match because I was playing that round 5 match.

It was me, Daniel, with Combo Elves, versus Bryan, with Hive Mind.

I won the die roll and had a pretty fast start. I think I had emptied my hand by turn 2 and just started swinging in with elves. I didn't have the right combination for a combo finish but I had enough guys to be swinging for like 5-6 a turn. His board had like a Grim Monolith and some lands and I knew he had no removal if he was playing Hive Mind so I just went aggro mode. Eventually he taps out to drop a Hive Mind and passes the turn. He couldn't win on the spot because, as it turns out, the only pacts he had in hand were Pact of Negations. So he needed to counter something in order to kill me. Also, I have a hand full of lands and a single Crop Rotation, with some elves and a Gaea's Cradle on the board. I almost used the Crop Rotation earlier to grab a Cradle but I ended up drawing into one the turn before. So now I have a hand full of blanks, six damage worth of elves, and a Gaea's Cradle on the board.

My turn comes and I draw a Heritage Druid. I have a tapped Nettle Sentinel, a Birchlore Ranger, and three other elves in play. I need to play the Heritage Druid to untap my Nettle Sentinel to continue the beatdown plan, because I am definitely not able to combo out. So I play the guy and Byron immediately casts Pact of Negation, targeting my Heritage Druid. I freak out because I hate the stack. That's why I play elves. So I figure, ok, I'll just pact his pact with my pact copy. So I do that. I have enough elves to pay for a single Pact of Negation (I need UU. I have Birchlore, Quirion untaps, Other elves, etc) so I'm not scared at this point. Then, Byron plays another Pact of Negation, I think still targeting my Heritage Druid. At this point I flip my shit. He doesn't have enough mana to pay for two of his own pacts, and I don't have enough elves or untap effects to use Birchlore Rangers to make UUUU, to pay for two pacts either. So I use my second pact copy to target my original pact copy, because at this point the Heritage Druid is not going to resolve and man, I just don't want to pay for another Pact.

So the stack is -
    My Heritage Druid
    His Pact of Negation targeting druid
    My Pact targeting his pact
    His pact2 targeting my druid
    My pact2 targeting my pact1

Then, because Bryan enjoys insanity, he plays a Misdirection targeting my pact2, moving it off of my pact1 and onto my druid.

I flip my shit again. I play elves because I don't like the stack and I don't like combat and I guess that means I don't like Magic. I just like tapping cards and drawing cards. So the stack is completely confuddled at this point and I don't know how to use my Misdirection copy. I actually forget what I had my Misdirection copying but after I chose my target, I waved a judge over and had him clarify the stack to me, and my opponent, and apparently everybody around us because I was being kinda loud and crazy in my confusion.

I had several D6s, with the 1s up, using those to represent my pact copies and I pointed the 1s at whatever they were targeting. I showed the judge the stack, putting the D6s on top of the cards on top of the D6s on top of the cards, and made a little D6/card sandwich to show in what the stack was at this point. So he carefully resolved the stack for us and because I wasn't smart enough to do that myself, and my opponent kinda was, at the end of all the spell resolutions I had to pay for my 2 pact copies while my opponent had to pay for zero, since one of his was countered and the other fizzled, since one of my pacts countered my druid, causing his original pact to have no legal target.

So the judge backs up from the sad pile of D6s and stupid blue cards and tells me that I lost the end of that exchange and that my Heritage Druid is countered. At the very least my Nettle Sentinel still got to untap so now I have 6 damage on the board and my opponent is at 7. I know that he doesn't have to pay for shit on his next turn while I have to finance, with my poor mana, all the little shenanigans that just took place. So I'm a bit flustered at this point. I might even say I was Flusterstormed.

But then I look in my hand, at two unhelpful forests and a Crop Rotation, and I recall that moment, a couple weeks ago, when I bought a foil FNM Pendelhaven on ebay and slightly regretted it, since I could have gotten a Timeshifted Time Spiral foil Pendelhaven for just two dollars more (my Elf deck is almost fully foiled). And I was worried that perhaps an FNM foil Pendelhaven is less pimp than a foil Timeshifted Pendelhaven. And then I thought, Wait a minute.

Pendelhaven!

So I start cackling maniacally and throw down my foily, sexy Crop Rotation like it was Shivan Dragon and I was playing at the lunchroom table back in 1995, then I laugh even more as I pick up my deck and start leafing through it, looking for my blessed savior - that FNM Pendelhaven.

I slammed that bastard down, tapped all my elves, and started laughing in my opponent's face like a rude, mannerless heathen. When Bryan saw that I had him dead on board, he smiled and extended the hand and we shook after a great game.

That was game one.

The next two games he went turn two, Show and Tell, Hive Mind, Pact of the Titan. I went on to lose that round and every single round that day. In fact, I didn't win another match, round, or game, the rest of the day. That includes the EDH games we played in the Mexican restaurant by the event site.

But it's okay because,

Pendelhaven.

Перетягивание
    Feb 2012
    Canberra, Australia

Both excellent write ups, thouroughly enjoyed them :)

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Awesome thread. I think your opponent's name is Corbett Gray.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Dec 2011
    USA

Thank you Danyul for the enlightenment on what happened, and for being so charismatic >^,^<

& yes, the stack is one thing, but the stack with a hive mind in play can get ridiculous when everytime someone responds with an instant, it also creates a copy so things go haywire, & grats on foiling it out and winning with pendelhaven

-Wait a minute, If a pact of negation is casted, doesn't the person have to still pay for the mana on the next upkeep reguardless of whether or not it resolves?

Banned

Jul 2012
    Away

Quote Originally Posted by feline View Post
    Thank you Danyul for the enlightenment on what happened, and for being so charismatic >^,^<

& yes, the stack is one thing, but the stack with a hive mind in play can get ridiculous when everytime someone responds with an instant, it also creates a copy so things go haywire, & grats on foiling it out and winning with pendelhaven

-Wait a minute, If a pact of negation is casted, doesn't the person have to still pay for the mana on the next upkeep reguardless of whether or not it resolves?
    If Pact is countered then the Pact cost does not trigger.

Awesome report. Pact section was very entertaining as was the entire report. You should write these more often.

And.. CD player? Really tho?

Dec 2011
    USA

LOL, I know who uses CD players anymore right? I think the % of music sales in the form of CD's is below 3% now, but I have like 100's of 80's metal albums, as well as a variety of other stuff, and it would take me forever to put everything onto an ipod, plus I don't have to buy an ipod if im ok with just listening to 1 album at a time.

Great report... was there playing Death and Taxes, same sort of thing with almost not showing up, but you did a fair better than I... pretty sure you were at the table next to me after the first round. I definitely love 1.5 infinitely more than 2, and have no impetus to playing Standard any more (though I probably will for PTQ season, just because).

Game 3 is a win that was close for a bit, the life totals say my life is "20, then 19, 17, 15, 13, 11, -win- -extraction- -4x- -1 turn's from meditate, High tide, islands tapping for 2, 3, 4, 5.
    This was somewhat sillier than you remembered - that's actually the Stoneblade player's life total, not yours. All of those life total changes happened during your turn 3, when I forced your High Tide (which you forced back), then proceeded to extract High Tides, Force of Wills, Turnabouts, and two other things I've forgotten by now. I was not expecting to lose on turn 3 with that much disruption...

Dec 2011
    USA

OMG I forgot about that game!! How did I forget about that !!! That game was flippin nuts!

This game 3 is actually His life total going 20, 19, 17, 15, 13, 11... Yes, my opponent went down to 11 life, because they casted surgical extraction 5 times against me! And if that isn't EXTREME enough, I even managed to push through all that to make it that much CRAZIER, though the 5th one was stopped, I'll elaborate on the madness & then analyze, though this is not a scenario I am too familiar with since it is EXTREMELY rare!: I don't remember all the specifics, I don't even remember how in the world I forgot about this game in the first place, but the first 4 targeted high tide ponder turnabout and force of will.

Naturally I sideboarded high tide & wished for it accordingly, & time spiral/cunning wish remove themselves from the game when resolved so that helps. The only thing after that is because the issue with fizzling after a resolved time spiral is not getting any new card draw, the fact that more non card draw spells (force, turnabout, high tide) were extracted -vs- card draw spells (ponder) the thinning of my deck of the non card draw spells doesn't hurt as much as it sounds as long as you can get a high tide to resolve, you can cunning wish for a 2nd one and your islands can still get to a point of tapping for 3 at a minimum, & since 1 wish = high tide, 1 wish = blue sun's zenith, the 3rd wish can get 1 turnabout back from the sideboard, and you can use merchant scroll to get any of those cards by simply resolving a time spiral and starting all over again. You'll just have to burn all your cunning wishes, tap candels more & cast more time spirals (meaning it'll just take longer in the end) From an analytical perspective anyhow, that's what I conclude. Still, when was the last time you had to eat surgical extraction 5 FLIPPIN TIMES, that game took forever for me to finally get there! I need to redo my report now! How did I forget about that crazy game!!!

The only other game I've had this insane was at a local event a couple weeks ago, I started going off, doing my thing, etc, taking so long that I forgot when I Blue Sun Zenith'd them, they had 2 leyline of sanctity's in play, so I then had to target myself, then counter it, then start ALL OVER again, taking another 10 minutes getting a wipe away, using it, then time spiraling to have access to it again and using it on the second one, all while building up enough mana to just Blue Sun zenith again for a huge amount, to this day that is the single longest game I've had to endure playing this deck, though that game did not happen at scg, it was at a local event, one where on another night, a battle of wits player did painters servant - grind stone against me from his opening hand!!! yes a Battle of wits deck did this to me, after resolving the first one, i thought "there's no way they'd cast the other half with 230+ cards, the odds are outrageous!" But they did and I lost that game.

-edit- since im going to update that, i hope you read this "ajr" cause I don't remember, but there were times where after sideboarding I'd almost always side board out 1 high tide just in case of opposing extractions since it can be played in any deck, I wont do dmg to your life total anyhow. But if I suspected extraction & I knew it was coming, I could still access high tide via merchant scroll, all the card draw, and cunning wish, so I had a few games where I sideboarded 2 extractions, when you extracted my high tides, did I sideboard out 1 or 2 against you because I dont' remember that and I'd like to put that specific in my report? If not I'll just make a note of it there that I did that a couple of times and I don't remember which games.

I mostly focused on playing as fast as possible, I wanted to do super detailed reports for every game, but I had to play the deck as fast as I possibly could without messing up the combo or going to time or any of the other pressure that comes with pushing the deck, for some reason though I just love how flipping crazy the deck is!
    Last edited by feline; 08-12-2012 at 04:55 PM.

-edit- since im going to update that, i hope you read this "ajr" cause I don't remember, but there were times where after sideboarding I'd almost always side board out 1 high tide just in case of opposing extractions since it can be played in any deck, I wont do dmg to your life total anyhow. But if I suspected extraction & I knew it was coming, I could still access high tide via merchant scroll, all the card draw, and cunning wish, so I had a few games where I sideboarded 2 extractions, when you extracted my high tides, did I sideboard out 1 or 2 against you because I dont' remember that and I'd like to put that specific in my report? If not I'll just make a note of it there that I did that a couple of times and I don't remember which games.
    You had boarded out just one high tide - I won game 2 with pure discard, no extracts, so you weren't sure I had them.

I wasn't sure if it was right to extract your forces or not, since it would increase your action density, but I had hopes that I would be able to draw my own forces since you had not managed to stick a defense grid at that point (and you'd be thin on mana with most of your high tides gone). That's not a scenario I've had to play through before.

Dec 2011
    USA

Ah thank you, Also was it a defense grid in play that finally stopped the 5th extraction on or did I flusterstorm that ? the only other crazyness I've had to deal with in the past is leyline of the void, it doesn't stop me, I just have to bounce it before my deck runs too thin, I can still keep going if I have half my deck, but I do have to keep note of what is going into the Removed From Game zone when that happens, holding certain things in my hand and waiting to cast them.

another one is maverick, one thing out isn't bad, but multiple is basically a lockdown/lockout, so that match can pull it off, out of the 2 maverick decks one of them got me game 2 / 3 because of this

also if I may ask, did you go to Seattle open last year in 2011 when mental misstep was reign? I had just started coming back to magic after a few years & the SCG happened like, within a week or 2 of me coming back so I either felt I was ill prepared to go, or I didn't even look at going till it had already happened, I don't remember which

Oh and if this is your first postings on here, welcome to the forums, though for all I know, you read them all the time already and just never had a motivation to post before >^,^< Either way.

also not to be random but I think its another magic night, Midnight Pre-release event's are always fun to go to !!!
    Last edited by feline; 08-12-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Were you the guy trying to buy Candelabras from SCG before the tournament, then tried to borrow one from Onions?

-Matt

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

No, that was Kneser. Feline = Feline.

Dec 2011
    USA

Nah hon, I had mine already, thank you starcitygames for 3 of them & comics cube in bonney lake for the 4th.

There was another that I was near in an earlier round, and they commented on the fact that they had a 4th in the mail and were only playing 3, or had a 3rd in the mail and were only playing 2, im not sure which. From what I could tell from my own experience there, watching matches and hearing from other people, there were at least 3 high tide decks there.
    Last edited by feline; 08-12-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Also was it a defense grid in play that finally stopped the 5th extraction on or did I flusterstorm that ?
    I'm not certain - I know you stuck a Grid at some point, and by then it was pretty clear you were going to get there.

also if I may ask, did you go to Seattle open last year in 2011 when mental misstep was reign? I had just started coming back to magic after a few years & the SCG happened like, within a week or 2 of me coming back so I either felt I was ill prepared to go, or I didn't even look at going till it had already happened, I don't remember which
    I was just barely playing Legacy last year - I played in the draft opens.

Oh and if this is your first postings on here, welcome to the forums, though for all I know, you read them all the time already and just never had a motivation to post before >^,^< Either way.
    Thanks!

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    But it's okay because,

Pendelhaven.
    Fantastic.

And thanks for the report, OP!

Thread Information