Thread: 6-2 at SCG Open in Buffalo, NY with Mono-W Death & Taxes

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

6-2 at SCG Open in Buffalo, NY with Mono-W Death & Taxes

Let me preface this with a caveat: I know 25th place doesn't seem spectacular, but this isn't a report about taking down an event. It's about having faith in something, and having that faith repaid. I've been a Death and Taxes pilot for about a year now, and while I loved it, in recent months I've grown disheartened by how easily other Legacy decks--Maverick or Tempo Thresh, for example--simply win in certain matchups, where I have to always be clawing for a victory. An explanation of the deck is needed, I think, for the uninitiated, as I have far too long been labeled "mono-white aggro" or "white weenie."

Death and Taxes, or D&T as it is abbreviated, is a typically mono-white aether vial-based deck focused on disrupting an opponent's game plan while grinding out an aggressive win with its suite of synergistic creatures. The deck is designed on the principle of disruption: the idea that Legacy has, in essence, warped itself into become a faster and faster format, designed to play fast and win fast--but, if you are able to slow them down, if you can turn off their access to the right colors or right sequence of spells, many legacy decks simply break.

Alternatively, D&T is also designed to cut off slower decks from valuable permanents, either by exiling them or turning them off. Death and Taxes' brilliance comes from it's strength in almost every stage of the game--hindering an opponent's early development, making favorable combat trades and cutting off precious resources midgame and establishing an overwhelming force over an opponent in the late game, often with equipped fliers.

Anyway, the decklist:

Main:

4 Aether Vial
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Swords to Plowshares

4 Flickerwisp
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Mangara of Corondor
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Serra Avenger
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Jötun Grunt

11 Snow-Covered Plains
    4 Karakas
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard (tailored for what I was expecting in the meta, not necessarily standard)

4 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Gut Shot
    1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Jötun Grunt
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Circle of Protection: Red
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 Engineered Explosives

And the matchups:

Round 1: Jason, Hypergenesis/Omniscience comb ("Omnigenesis" ?)

We start off around 10 am, and Jason and I speak amiably. I try to be talkative with my opponents; 50 minutes of silence and Legacy lingo is boring to me, unless the match is intense. I learn that this is his first deck and first event in legacy, so I'm feeling pretty good, especially after he runs out three turns of basic lands: mountain, island, forest. I try to port him off blue, running out a Mom. He Fetches for a volcanic island, casts show and tell, drops Omniscience. Suddenly my ports look pretty bad. Griselbrand and Progenitus eat me a turn later.

IN: Bridge, Circle of Protection: Red, Thalia, Revoker, Aura of Silence x4 E-Tutor.
    OUT: 2 Jotun Grunt, 4 SFM, 3 equips. Not sure if this was right, however.

Game two I keep a decent hand with revoker, e-tutor, mangara, a vial and some lands. Plains-vial-pass to him. He plays an island, double spirit-guide and casts Shardless Agent. Double Omniscience and GB comes out, and he casts Progenitus for . He FoW's my tutor for nothing, and while Revoker stops GB for a while, he finds k-grips, and uses them on my vial and revoker; I STP GB in response, but the hydra gets me

0-1

Round 2, Chris with Show & Tell/Hypergenesis

Chris and I both start off talking about our first matches. He mentions that he lost to Fish; I hope he's playing RUG, which he is--turn-two Agent into Emrakul, GB and Progentius.

IN: Bridge, Circle of Protection: Red, Thalia, Revoker, x3 E-Tutor.
    OUT: 2 grunts, 2 SFM, jitte, 2 flickerwisp

Game 2, double ports and wastelands work his manabase over, and eventually serra avenger starts beating. He gives up at 14 life. Hypergenesis made it all possible: I dump my hand on his third turn, including a revoker for the lone GB he drops.

Game 3 I keep a hand with revoker, mangara, karakas, light&shadow, and a wisp. I feel like I should mull; something tells me that he has a progenitus. After a minute of internal deliberation, I keep it. Hypergenesis - Progenitus. I lose.

0-2

I feel awful at this point. I'm looking over my deck mentally, and all I see is a janky weenie deck. I seriously consider selling it off (foiled out, the deck is quite valuable).

My friend Steve, a Maverick pilot, convinces me to play out my next match. So, I do, hoping for some justification.

Round 3, Landon with Leyline-Helm

Landon's going through what I'm going through, except that this is his first major Legacy event. He leads of with a swamp and a leyline, and I already know what's going on. I drop vial, mom, port, thalia, and start cutting him off black, while putting him on a ten-tun clock. He concedes once mangara takes out the leyline.

OUT: 2 jotun grunt
    IN: Revoker, Thalia

Game two he comes really close to getting me, but Thalia screws his math with his rituals and he's lefts with a turn 4 double-leyline of the void/helm of obedience board with no mana. He had wasted an inquisition on me earlier that turn, which I respond to by vialing in an avenger and tutoring up a revoker. He grabs my mangara, and with his wincon shut off next turn, concedes.

Alright, not bad I guess. But Leyline/Helm is hardly an establish legacy deck.

1-2

Round 4: Sam, with Next-Level Threshold

He leads off with an island, a delver and passes. I play a vial, which gets dazed; his delver flips and begins beating me. I drop a second vial, it sticks and I swords the delver. He eventually drops Jace the Mind Sculptor, fateseals me, and I top-deck revoker. Mangara-Karkas lock takes out jace, his goyf, and starts going for lands when he scoops it up.

IN/OUT: nothing.

Game two he starts with a good amount of pressure, with 4/5 goyfs courtesy of my countered vial. I play mom, Thalia, grunt, then in one turn drop SFM (SoFI) and Avenger. He has 0/1 goyfs and no removal, and scoops it up again.

Feeling much better now! Thrilled at winning two in a row, so much that I almost forget my deck. Sam reminds me, I thank him greatly.

2-2

Round 5: Kevin with UR Delver

Game one is a brawl; Price of progress and delver get me to 4 before I stabilize. I retaliate with Thalia-equipped jitte, a wisp unflipping one delver and trading with another off a vial, and rishadan ports leaving his red spells out in the cold.

Second Best Quote of the Day: "You know, you played wasteland and vial and I thought I was playing goblins again. But now you played plains and I have NO idea what you're playing..."

OUT: 3 Revokers, 3 mangara
    IN: 2 etutor, CoP:Red, 2 Gut shot, 1 grunt

Game two is another great grind, with me stabilizing at 9. He trots out Guides, netting me a port and a waste. Grunt clobbers the first one and is lavamanced. Another grunt hits, and he's afraid to attack. Grunt gobbles up the early spells he countered, and I stick CoP: Red. The rest of the game is him lamenting CoP, and me getting a jitte on Thalia for the win.

Very pumped. At this point, I'm getting closer to top 64, and the fact that I've turned the day around into a positive record is enough of a prize.

3-2

Round 6: Court with EsperBlade

His first turn strand-tundra-ponder makes me think that he's playing MiracleTop. However, I resolve a vial off a plains and when he plays SFM->batterskull, it's Magical Christmas Land for me. Stoneblade! finally, an easy match.

He beats with the skull for a while, and gets the engineered explosives/academy ruins lock online. multiple SFMs eventually gets me every sword in my deck, and he can't choose between my avenger/jitte or my wisp/sofi. He blows up jitte, wisp, sofi, but forgot all about the SoLaS I tutors up for in the first place. Solas+Avenger = win.

OUT: Grunts
    IN: Thalia, Revoker

An early skull and clique beat me down to 9, but I'm able to establish double mom and stop his skull from gaining him life. He WoGs I SFM a Sword of Light and Shadow in response. He Inquisitions and I fumble, not vialing in a revoker in response. Topdeck Thalia does the job, though, and I'm getting back everything I lost. Soon he's on 9 and folds.

Wonderful! One more win and I'm locked for the cash. Sadly, I'm the only one in my group with the shot at it, but my other friends playing Zombardment and UR Delver have a similar or better record than me, so we rejoice.

4-2

Round 7: Alex, with UR Delver

Both of these games Alex sees only two lands maximum, and I sympathize, but Thalia and Port makes nearly all of his spells uncastable. He beats me well with a delver and lavamancer down to 8, but can't get a PoP off and Avenger-SoFI gets me there.

Best Play of the Day: Lightning Bolt ->Serra Avenger. Mom, Pro-R is my response. Stifle->Mom is his. I Vial@3 my wisp, saving avenger. He's dumbfounded.

OUT: 3 Revokers, 1 mangara
    IN: Thalia, Grunt, 2 Gut Shot

He only gets me to 11 before I stabilize with a Thalia-jitte. I kill every dude he lands, gaining 2 when I can, and one upkeep, after tapping my port to cast a grunt, I Flickerwisp out his island. He stares at his hand and eventually concedes.

Best Quote of the Day: "You know, if I just stare at these cards long enough, they become exactly what I need to get me out of this mess..."

5-2

Top 64! Yes! It's been a long day, but I've turned it around. Feeling much, much better about D&T now.

Final Round: Wilkin with Deadguy Ale

He plays a turn one swamp, which leaves me cautious. I plays a plains and a vial, asking if it resolves, to which he says "of course." He drops Dark Confidant, and I feeling like I stumbled into the bonus level of a video game. I swords Bob, bring in Mom, thalia, karakas, and pass. He drops next turn Lilliana of the Veil, to which I immediately respond with Revoker. Mangara locks him down next turn, and when I start going after his lands he scoops, with me still at a pristine 20.

IN/OUT: Nothing.

Game he SFM's for a jitte, I play a vial, revoker on jitte and start taxing. He goes for the beats, playing a gatekeeper of malakir turns 4 and 5. I SFM-light and shadow, sacing her, then one mangara out of the pair in my hand, keeping revoker as safe as I can. I eventually stick Mangara-Karakas, and take out all of his critters and jitte. He vindicates my karakas; I have 2 in hand. When I take away his only plains, he buckles...at 21 life.

Top 32! 25th place! Hot damn, I feel great. So glad that I stuck it out with D&T, and perhaps finally found the proof I needed that the deck really is that great when you play it tight and don't give up an inch.

Anyway, thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Barbed Blightning; 07-31-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

Re: 6-2 at SCG Open in Buffalo, NY with Mono-W Death & Taxes

Good job, JC -- I was watching all of you guys on the pairings every round. Still pretty bummed I couldn't make it, but it seems like you all did largely pretty good...did Nich top 32 as well? I know he was at the upper tables late into the day, but they never put up like Final Standings or anything, so I dunno his final result.

Also, totally relate on the almost giving up on your deck thing. Playing Nic Fit for the past year has been a pretty wild ride of amazing and awful all at the same time. Fuck Show and Tell anyway, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Arianrhod View Post
    Good job, JC -- I was watching all of you guys on the pairings every round. Still pretty bummed I couldn't make it, but it seems like you all did largely pretty good...did Nich top 32 as well? I know he was at the upper tables late into the day, but they never put up like Final Standings or anything, so I dunno his final result.

Also, totally relate on the almost giving up on your deck thing. Playing Nic Fit for the past year has been a pretty wild ride of amazing and awful all at the same time. Fuck Show and Tell anyway, seriously.
    I was watching the standings too. Nich was 1 win from top 16. Couldn't squeak out that last win unfortunately. He still top 64'd but he was so close.

I'm glad to see that your doubts were dismissed. Tough match ups happen. I find more and more it is almost never your deck's fault if it is a fairly well tuned deck. Usually, you make mistakes in terms of construction, sideboard and play that are so subtle, you have trouble understanding what went wrong. This has happened to me a lot which is why I feel I need to share that piece.

Grats to you guys in any case. We Ithacans will rise soon enough.

Jan 2012
    Ithaca,NY

I ended up 40th, I lost my last 2 matches after finishing round 6 in 15th. Couldn't find a 4th land against RUG Delver to Urborg Justice his board with my bloodghasts in yard and a spell pierce in his hand.

I went against miracles in the final round and he top decked so absurdly well, I just couldn't catch a break.

It is really tough to play an 8 round tournament on roughly 2 hours of sleep without any food.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by Barbed Blightning View Post
    Sideboard (tailored for what I was expecting in the meta, not necessarily standard)

4 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Gut Shot
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Jötun Grunt
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 Engineered Explosives

Round 1: Jason, Hypergenesis/Omniscience comb ("Omnigenesis" ?)

IN: Bridge, Circle of Protection: Red, Thalia, Revoker, Aura of Silence x4 E-Tutor.
    OUT: 2 Jotun Grunt, 4 SFM, 3 equips. Not sure if this was right, however.

Round 2, Chris with Show & Tell/Hypergenesis

IN: Bridge, Circle of Protection: Red, Thalia, Revoker, x3 E-Tutor.
    OUT: 2 grunts, 2 SFM, jitte, 2 flickerwisp
    Congratulations and thanks for the report!

What would you consider a more 'standard' sideboard? Could you elaborate upon your decisions based upon the expected meta?

Regarding the Hypergenesis sideboard strategy, when you say "I'm not sure if this was right" after Round 1, do you think your Round 2 plan, removing the Flickerwisps was better?

Finally, it seems like D&T does well against the "fair" match ups. How does it do against Maverick? How would you board against Maverick? Do you think it's appropriate to have some number of Path to Exiles in the sideboard or does that counteract the 'taxing' plan? I imagine once Mangara/Karakas gets online, you don't have trouble removing large Knights.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

My experience with both decks would likely lead me to say that Serra Avenger trumps almost all of Maverick. Both have Moms for protection, but the vigilance is quite powerful in the early parts of the game. Rishadan Port is also equally annoying for Maverick.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Good on you for sticking it out, I really enjoyed your report. Nice to cash after going 0-2 in the first two rounds, well done!

I am going to play my first sanctioned Legacy event in about 6 months tonight, and before I read your report I was wondering what I should play, but now I know - Death & Taxes all the way!

Also, your deck is all foiled out? Why haven't we seen it in the Pimp Legacy Decks thread? Or if it's there have I missed it? If not, please post, I am going to start pimping mine and would love to see an already pimped out version!

Finally, although you didn't seem to draw Gut Shot when you sided it in, how has it been in testing for you?

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Wow, left for work and came back to so many replies! I'll try to ask the questions as best I can...

@Arianrhod + @Zirath: Thanks for the grats. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one out their with a legacy deck they adore but sometimes doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    Congratulations and thanks for the report!

What would you consider a more 'standard' sideboard? Could you elaborate upon your decisions based upon the expected meta?

Regarding the Hypergenesis sideboard strategy, when you say "I'm not sure if this was right" after Round 1, do you think your Round 2 plan, removing the Flickerwisps was better?

Finally, it seems like D&T does well against the "fair" match ups. How does it do against Maverick? How would you board against Maverick? Do you think it's appropriate to have some number of Path to Exiles in the sideboard or does that counteract the 'taxing' plan? I imagine once Mangara/Karakas gets online, you don't have trouble removing large Knights.
    I have a standard, essentially catch-all sideboard not too different from the one I played. It is:

4 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Gut Shot (Formerly Oust)
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Jötun Grunt
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Aura of Silence

I sacrificed the stellar grave hate of Wheel/Crypt for Cage (which I find pretty meh). I adore Oust, but Gut Shot's proven itself a winner. Phyrexian mana has really changed Legacy, and I think for the worse--but opinions are opinions. Explosives was never necessary, but I actually like the variety of its uses:

-Token kill--Belcher, TES, Dredge, MiracleTop, anything really.
    -At 1, it's an out to the dreaded Elves! matchup. Still have yet to lose to elves, though.
    -kills flipped delvers. (such a trolling)

It also gets through spell snare, easier to cast if it's dazed/spell pieced, and can be used as a distraction to let the much more critical aether vial resolve on t1. Great overall, imo.

Regarding the Hypergenesis matchup, I really don't know, still. It's been an absurd deck until now, in the same vein as alluren and belcher. Taking out wisps sacrificed flying power/blocks, but allowed me to SFM for sofi/solas--both useful as a means of speeding up the match, or blocking GB.

Fair decks--Maverick included--are basically autowins, so long as I play tight, which is a lot harder than it sounds. Maverick is especially easy for me since I eloped with the deck for a little while and know its weaknesses (hint: pridemage has an activated ability) but eventually came back to D&T. I guess I'm the only Legacy player who doesn't like consistency.

That said, Maverick decks have given me a good pounding. Steve plays a Mav list running Sigarda, Host of Herons AND Rafiq of the Many in his main. It's gross, but it gets him there. Just as Koby said, however, Serra Avenger is probably my best creature against Mav.

Quote Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
    Good on you for sticking it out, I really enjoyed your report. Nice to cash after going 0-2 in the first two rounds, well done!

I am going to play my first sanctioned Legacy event in about 6 months tonight, and before I read your report I was wondering what I should play, but now I know - Death & Taxes all the way!

Also, your deck is all foiled out? Why haven't we seen it in the Pimp Legacy Decks thread? Or if it's there have I missed it? If not, please post, I am going to start pimping mine and would love to see an already pimped out version!
    Always thrilled to have another pilot join the D&T ranks! If you're looking for any advice or info on playing the deck, look at its thread either here or on MTG Salvation (no one believes me, but the Salvation thread for Death and Taxes is actually much more active and has quality collaboration.) Also, the list in the primer for the salvation is more up-to-date.

Sadly my deck is far from fully foiled--I still need Vials, STPs Snow-Covered Plains, Wastes, Ports and E Tutors. and D&T isn't fully pimped until you have these. However, I'll probably post there soon, still have a set of mint foil Moms from Urza's to boast about.

Again, thanks for reading!

Congratulations! I'm glad I helped you get into legacy. Still loved your first deck: counters and Plantinuim Angel.

Sep 2010
    MNL

Congrats on the finish! Bad luck on the 1st 2 matchups as we really don't have any answers for those decks (we have better game against other combo compared to those 2) but all in all, excellent card slinging for the rest of the tourney. I haven't been as active in the Salvation forums lately but I'm still rocking D&T (going on 2 years now). Don't give up on the deck yet. The deck is at its strongest since its inception due to recent printings (Every 2nd set has given us a goodie: WWK gave us Stoneforge, MBS gave us Revoker, DKA gave us Thalia). And with Merfolk and Goblins slowly creeping in back the metagame, it can only mean good things for us.

I look at your lists and tourney reports a lot because your list (including the SB) is the closest to mine. Only difference is -1 plains, +1 Grunt for main, then SB -1 Thalia, -1 Grunt, -2 Gut Shot (Will definitely try this), -1 Aura of Silence for +3 Arbiter, +1 Stony Silence, +1 ORing.

@Pandaman, I've got my DnT deck fully pimped with Original Set foils (if available) even for the SB, and Unhinged Foil plains, and I can say that it's really beautiful. Only thing I lack is the Serra Avenger Full Arts which I had an opportunity to get but held off because it didn't match the rest of the deck. I might get some soon though as I just finished pimping out my EDH deck. Will post it in the Pimp thread after my brother gets his new SLR. Keep on taxing!

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

You're welcome for the Engineered Explosives idea =P Actually had no idea you'd run that again, but your other uses for it besides Miracles seem pretty legit.

Wouldn't you want all 4 Wisps in vs HyperG? That way if they poop out like a Maelstrom Wanderer or a Memorial you can phase out their haste and live another turn?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Fun report, BB. I don't mind your verbosity at all. You write pretty well. The fact that you faced Hypergenesis in both the first and second round is sickening and hilarious all at once. There's no telling what you will get paired against in the opening rounds of a large tournament.

I love getting into the long slogs with D+T and having to puzzle out how to cut their advantage piece by piece (we almost always win those). It looks like you had a lot of that and had a helluva good time with it.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

You've got some work still to do on the pimping, but so happy you're on your way. I actually want to start pimping mine, but as I don't really like foils, I was thinking I would go non-foil Japanese. Rules would be 1) Japanese unless none available, then English (all but Karakas are Japanese) and 2) oldest printing possible (which means Japanese 4th ed plains and StP). I lived in Japan for a couple of years so can read most of the cards, which means Japanese non-foil is pimp in the eye of the beholder, if you get me. Hopefully we can both finish ours and compare!

I've actually been playing the deck since way before damage came off the stack, when Stonecloaker and Isamaru were in and Stoneforge was just a wet dream. But I haven't been playing in sanctioned tournaments because there wasn't any where I live. I read a lot on the forums but don't post much because all I played for the past 3 years is kitchen table Legacy with no tournament testing, and it's difficult to be constructive in a post if you aren't putting the thing into battle weekly. I just posted a tourney report in the D&T thread, split the finals and first on standings. Would love your feedback.

And Hypergenesis is a ridiculous matchup if you don't get lucky Game 1. You need the chance of both Games 2 and 3 to sneak one - either hoping they mull into oblivion or you draw the right hate in your opener. But 2 Hypergenesis decks in the first two rounds is gross! Which is why coming back to 6-2 cash is so impressive mate, I would have been really bummed...

I never thought of EE in the side, I really want to try that. I love it in multi-coloured decks, but I never considered in mono-W... good call.

And mrjumbo, way to go mate, I will eagerly await pictures!

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Nice report, thanks for posting, and congrats on a nice result coming back from an 0-2 start! :)

Not a pilot of the deck myself, but I had all the cards sans the Karakas at one point, and well, then Emrakul got printed and Karakas blew up over night. I had fun trolling randoms online with it.

Thread Information