Thread: What is the Legacy metagame like in Japan?

Nov 2010
    Japan

What is the Legacy metagame like in Japan?

So, I just moved to Japan about a month ago, and I'm in a very remote rural area (Northern Aomori). Needless to say, there aren't many Legacy events in my area; however, I learned of an event happening about three hours away, and I'm planning on going. I know 100% what deck I'm taking, but I don't know anything about what people normally play in this area--but I want to tailor my maindeck/sideboard accordingly. So, for anyone who plays in Japan, what do the people around you normally choose to bring?

Jul 2010
    Tokyo

Re: What is the Legacy metagame like in Japan?

At the moment I live in Tokyo and play at Saito's shop. Generally from what I have seen through weekly tournaments, they love UW stoneforge, and to lesser extents show and tell, canadian threshhold, and maverick. Other combo beyond dredge feels pretty rare.

Of course you have usual suspects in tribal, including a spike in goblins at a Eternal Festival trial bye tournament this weekend. But yeah, hot for stoneforge, delvers, and show and tell.

May 2011
    Ontario, Canada

Re: What is the Legacy metagame like in Japan?

I've never played or been to Japan, but from tournament reports, decklist websites, coverage, and a few other sources, I've noticed that the Japanese tend to play non-combo blue. In most cases (9/10ish), a top8 will be 7 blue decks with a lot of Stoneforge or Delver, and 1 Maverick deck.

In the past, I've noticed a preference to black as well, so don't play something weak to discard.

Thread Information