Thread: GenCon 2012 Legacy Champs Winner – A Report on Sneak & Show

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

GenCon 2012 Legacy Champs Winner – A Report on Sneak & Show

Today we are delighted to bring you the tournament report of Legacy Champs winner Chris Bergeson, who piloted Show and Tell to a victory at GenCon in a field of over 360 people. Enjoy!

http://www.eternal-central.com/?p=3018

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Re: GenCon 2012 Legacy Champs Winner – A Report on Sneak & Show

Congrats to Chris on the win (I'm not sure if he has a username on here?).

I had an awkward situation in Game 1 against you in our match, which caused me to prematurely scoop to the Overmaster. With my board of Mongoose, Tropical Island, my hand was: 2x Wasteland, Ponder, Brainstorm, Force of Will, Stifle, 2nd Mongoose. I chose to Ponder instead of Brainstorm on the turn prior to you going off, which left me seeing: Spell Pierce, Daze, fetchland. This put me in the uncomfortable position of having to take the Daze as an additional protection spell and play Wasteland as my second land, which gave you the correct window to fetch + play a Sol Land the next turn.

The biggest blowout was the SSG on the Daze targeting the Overmaster, which left me with Force of Will, Stifle, and Brainstorm as my only blue cards. Even if Overmaster was a bluff, in the interest of longevity within the game, my only option would be to reveal information via pitching Stifle to Force of Will and hold Brainstorm, which decreases my edge in Game 2 for a marginal gain in Game 1. That is the thought process I went through to determine if I should have conceded the game. Whether or not I should have Brainstormed is up for debate, since I had no way of guaranteeing a shuffle effect.

I am curious, though. Did you have another counter to force through Defense Grid in Game 3?
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sun View Post
    Congrats to Chris on the win (I'm not sure if he has a username on here?).
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/m...4729-oneiros76

I'm reasonably certain I was actually your rd 3 opponent. I had miserable pairings in this event. Rd 1 I beat Dredge, and rd 2 I beat it again. Rd 3 I was smoked badly. Somewhat humorously, I stacked my sideboard with Dredge and RUG hate and skimped on SnT/combo hate. Rd 4, I played OmniShow and won (my hands were much better and his were much worse), Rd 5 I beat Esper Stoneblade. Rd 6 I lost a close match to RUG, in which my opponent had not only Lavamancers main but also Cursed Totem, which wrecked me game 3 (I won through it game 2). I played Rd 7 just for fun and lost 2-1 vs Storm, winning game 1, losing game 2 before I got a turn, and losing game 3 after taking only one turn.

I really felt Elves was one of the best decks in the format recently, but the sudden emergence of Combo decks, U/W Miracles, and RUG playing a ton of nightmare cards is a lot to try to beat when you still need to acknowledge other decks exist (especially Dredge, which due to karma I am destined to play multiple times in every Eternal format).

Anyway, good report and congrats on your win. Side note, Overmaster is sold out at the major retailers with only one playset on Ebay for $20 (and the only other one listed a foil playset for $100).
    Curious how I became a Magic writer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onR9Y...eature=channel

Oct 2011
    Berlin, Germany

Thanks for the good read, congrats on your win!

You are now the player with the biggest success playing Sneak & Show so far. ;-)

Feb 2012
    Northwest

Quote Originally Posted by voltron00x View Post
    ...Side note, Overmaster is sold out at the major retailers with only one playset on Ebay for $20 (and the only other one listed a foil playset for $100).
    Which makes me so happy that I kept my playset from way back when. Yay me!

Banned

Sep 2012
    United States

GenCon 2012 Legacy Champs Winner – A Report on Sneak Show

Hey J inc...good battle by the way...I was wondering if 3 weekends max. would be cool for the championship...that way nobody has excuses for dropping weak shit...I want this to be dope...more votes for this thread?...uppin

Thread Information