Thread: [Idea - unfinished] Suspendgeddon

Feb 2008
    Czech Republic

[Idea - unfinished] Suspendgeddon

I got an idea - it might work: mono-w control. Back in Black Summer when Necro dominated everywhere, the alternative decks were: GW-Erniegeddon with mass removal white spells, green acceleration and fatties from both colors, and mono-W Prison with mass removal spells, lock and one various win condition (Feldon's Cane or Serra Angel). Both decks stripped opponent of mana. I think it would be intresting to renew that strategy and try it in Legacy today.

Here is the first try:

Mana (22):
    14 Plains
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    4 Darksteel Citadel

Lock (8):
    4 Armageddon
    4 Sphere of Resistance

Support (6):
    4 Darksteel Pendant
    2 Wheel of Sun and Moon

Control (12):
    4 Sunscour
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Seal of Cleansing

Threats (12):
    4 Duskrider Peregrine
    4 Ivory Giant
    4 Ajani Goldmane

Sideboard (sort of):
    4 Pithing Needle
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    3 Ghostly Prison
    2 Icy Manipulator

The bottom line is that Armageddon hurts own manabase much less than opponent's thanks to Flagstones and Citadels. The recovery also should go faster thanks to Pendants. Flagstones shuffle own library - another synergy with Pendants and Wheels. One question remains: Wheels or Crucibles? It seems this deck's strategy really needs Crucibles, but definitely not both, and Wheels seem to fit better. The second point is that Sunscour can be played for alternative cost after Armageddon with suspended creatures hanging in the air. Under Sphere and without lands, opponent becomes pretty powerless and has to wait for inevitable death.

It may look fine on paper, but the idea needs indeed a lot of work, tuning and testing.

Re: [Idea - unfinished] Suspendgeddon

This is just Stax but with suspend cards? You're going to want Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors, and Chalice of the Void, for starters. And possibly Lodestone Golem and Thalia as well.

Feb 2008
    Czech Republic

I am reading Stax threads now. Interesting stuff and yes, I admit this is a sort of Stax. But the idea of suspend is somewhat fresh and definitely not widely used. IMHO it brings important advantage: it doesn't interfere with own wrath-effects.

Decks packing serious counter are gonna be hard to cast Armgeddon against.
    Maybe you could include some Orim's Chant?

Since your whole deck is biased towards casting armageddon, can you actually win without it?
    My guess is you're relying on it a lot for your strategy to work, but Armgeddon isn't very useful if they land something like Emrakul.

I wonder if splashing Red could be useful for using Burning Wish to fish it out for you, thereby giving you 7 Arma's, and potentially grab that sweeper you may need to take care of aggro decks like Affinity.
    Red would also give you access to some other Suspend cards too, like Keldon Halberdier & Detritivore etc.
    Greater Gargadon is fun is casual.....

I would also consider whether Crucible of Worlds or Life from the Loam may work with your manabase, to get back Wasteland for repeated use, apart from the lands you are already packing. I would think Wasteland would be a must in this deck.
    Mistveil Plains is technically a plains, so you can use it together with Flags to get back stuff from your graveyard too.
    Personally, unless you usually play agianst Dredge, Zombies or other graveyard shenanigan-like decks a LOT, I'd play Crucible instead of Wheels.

Also, Ravages of War is a second Armageddon.

Thread Information