Thread: SCG N.O. dredging in the bayou

May 2011
    Louisiana

SCG N.O. dredging in the bayou

Hey guys. I made it to Starcitygames tourney in New Orleans today. I played Dredge, the traditional Quadlazer list with the one exception of -one Golgari Thug & +one Darkblast. The change was not a meta choice or anything, but I simply do not own a fourth Golgari Thug.

Found the Decklist: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=50394

Round one(Adam with dredge):
    Game 1: I am on the play and Adam keeps a kind of subpar. My hand is fine with Putird Imp and some kind of draw spell. My opponent only plays a City of Brass while I dredge some stuff. He scoops it up before doing anything else.

I sideboard out some random cards for a playset of Leyline of the Void.

Game 2: Adam mulls down to three and I jokingly thank him for mulling to oblivion. He snaps back about how life isn't fair when he has to play a Dredge player who never mulls. Whatever. I keep a loose seven carder with no Leyline. He doesn't do anything while I topdeck something important(LED or Coliseum). I explode on turn two. Adam goes down to frown town.

Round two(Alex with Miracle deck):
    Game 1: I my usual thing with dredge: Destroy hand with Cabal Therpies and beat face with Ichorids.

I side in Ashen Ghouls and Lands and side out LEDs and randoms.

Game 2: I do my thing while multiple Surgicals slow me down. A topdecked Terminus followed by a topdecked Entreat the Angels save him the turn before I can win.

Game 3: I do the usual stuff while he slows me down with controlling type cards. I can't kill him in time before we end the match in a draw.

Round 3(Jeff with Goblins):
    Game 1: I explode and win pretty easily since he had no turn one Lackey.

I side in some Nature's Claims and an Ancient Grudge, take out randoms.

Game 2: I keep a slower hand while Jeff mulls to one in hopes of getting a Leyline of the Void. He does not find it and I win with no problems.

Round 4(another Jeff with Maverick):
    Game 1: I won with a Ichorid and Zombie swarm while he played Thalia and Jitte. I overwhelmed him.

I side in one Ancient Grudge to stop Jitte Tom-Foolery.

Game 2: I keep a slow hand and I am punished for it. I stripped his Green Sun's Zenith with Cabal Therapy. Jeff proceeds to topdeck Scavenging Ooze the turn before I explode zombies everywhere.

Game 3: I mull a bunch, to three or four. I do nothing while Jeff beats me down with Ooze. He even had a Tormod's Crypt in play to remind me my deck sucks.

Round five(Chris with Dredge):
    Game 1: Chris is on the play and punts big time. He plays LED into faithless with no lands. He gets three therapies, Ichorid, and Bridge from Below into his yard with a Narcomoeba zapped into play. Not a bad dredge. This is where he punts: he passes the turn without using any Cabal Therapies. On my turn I thank him and go nuts with Breakthrough+LED into dredging most of my library. Chris can't keep up after that.

I side in Leyline of the Voids.

Game 2: I mull to a six card hand with Leyline of the Void+Faithless Looting+LED+some dredgers and no lands. Chris has no answer for Leyline in hand and loses before he can find one.

Round Six(another guy named Alex with Stoneblade):
    Game 1: I have the perfect hand of Putrid Imp into draw spells. Alex has no Force of Wills to slow me down while I beat face.

I side in Ancient Grudge, Ashen Ghouls, and Lands. I side out LEDs and randoms.

Game 2: I walk into a Surgical Extraction that gets my sole Dredger. I blind rip a Snapcaster out of his hand with a hardcasted Cabal Therapy. His Surgical Extraction doesn't slow me down enough because my hand is loaded with Draw Spells. I win with ease.

Round Seven(Brian with Maverick):

Game 1: I mull to four and get beaten down by Ooze and company.

I don't side for this match up.

Game 2: My opponent slows me down with Fairie Macabre :o but it doesn't matter as I have the nuts and his hand was kind of weak.

Game 3: Brian mulls to four. I have a solid hand, but dredge a whole lot of Garbage while Chris does not a whole lot. He cast a turn two Jitte and a turn four Knight. After he cast Knight I finally get some Cabal Therapies in my yard(two). The Cabal Therapies compliment my four Bridges in my graveyard perfectly. I sac my Narcomoebas four eight Zombies while my Ichorid makes some more. I think I win the game with something like 15 zombies in play.

That was it. My record was 5-1-1. I got 9th. In fact I was the only guy with 16 points to not make it in the top eight. Joe goes down to frown town
    Oh well. At least I didn't suck too much. Thanks for reading my report.

Re: SCG N.O. dredging in the bayou

Quote Originally Posted by joemauer View Post
    Hey guys. I made it to Starcitygames tourney in New Orleans today. I played Dredge, the traditional Quadlazer list with the one exception of -one Golgari Thug & +one Darkblast. The change was not a meta choice or anything, but I simply do not own a fourth Golgari Thug.

Round one(Adam with dredge):
    Game 1: I am on the play and Adam keeps a kind of subpar. My hand is fine with Putird Imp and some kind of draw spell. My opponent only plays a City of Brass while I dredge some stuff. He scoops it up before doing anything else.

I sideboard out some random cards for a playset of Leyline of the Void.

Game 2: Adam mulls down to three and I jokingly thank him for mulling to oblivion. He snaps back about how life isn't fair when he has to play a Dredge player who never mulls. Whatever. I keep a loose seven carder with no Leyline. He doesn't do anything while I topdeck something important(LED or Coliseum). I explode on turn two. Adam goes down to frown town.

Round two(Alex with Miracle deck):
    Game 1: I my usual thing with dredge: Destroy hand with Cabal Therpies and beat face with Ichorids.

I side in Ashen Ghouls and Lands and side out LEDs and randoms.

Game 2: I do my thing while multiple Surgicals slow me down. A topdecked Terminus followed by a topdecked Entreat the Angels save him the turn before I can win.

Game 3: I do the usual stuff while he slows me down with controlling type cards. I can't kill him in time before we end the match in a draw.

Round 3(Jeff with Goblins):
    Game 1: I explode and win pretty easily since he had no turn one Lackey.

I side in some Nature's Claims and an Ancient Grudge, take out randoms.

Game 2: I keep a slower hand while Jeff mulls to one in hopes of getting a Leyline of the Void. He does not find it and I win with no problems.

Round 4(another Jeff with Maverick):
    Game 1: I won with a Ichorid and Zombie swarm while he played Thalia and Jitte. I overwhelmed him.

I side in one Ancient Grudge to stop Jitte Tom-Foolery.

Game 2: I keep a slow hand and I am punished for it. I stripped his Green Sun's Zenith with Cabal Therapy. Jeff proceeds to topdeck Scavenging Ooze the turn before I explode zombies everywhere.

Game 3: I mull a bunch, to three or four. I do nothing while Jeff beats me down with Ooze. He even had a Tormod's Crypt in play to remind me my deck sucks.

Round five(Chris with Dredge):
    Game 1: Chris is on the play and punts big time. He plays LED into faithless with no lands. He gets three therapies, Ichorid, and Bridge from Below into his yard with a Narcomoeba zapped into play. Not a bad dredge. This is where he punts: he passes the turn without using any Cabal Therapies. On my turn I thank him and go nuts with Breakthrough+LED into dredging most of my library. Chris can't keep up after that.

I side in Leyline of the Voids.

Game 2: I mull to a six card hand with Leyline of the Void+Faithless Looting+LED+some dredgers and no lands. Chris has no answer for Leyline in hand and loses before he can find one.

Round Six(another guy named Alex with Stoneblade):
    Game 1: I have the perfect hand of Putrid Imp into draw spells. Alex has no Force of Wills to slow me down while I beat face.

I side in Ancient Grudge, Ashen Ghouls, and Lands. I side out LEDs and randoms.

Game 2: I walk into a Surgical Extraction that gets my sole Dredger. I blind rip a Snapcaster out of his hand with a hardcasted Cabal Therapy. His Surgical Extraction doesn't slow me down enough because my hand is loaded with Draw Spells. I win with ease.

Round Seven(Brian with Maverick):

Game 1: I mull to four and get beaten down by Ooze and company.

I don't side for this match up.

Game 2: My opponent slows me down with Fairie Macabre :o but it doesn't matter as I have the nuts and his hand was kind of weak.

Game 3: Brian mulls to four. I have a solid hand, but dredge a whole lot of Garbage while Chris does not a whole lot. He cast a turn two Jitte and a turn four Knight. After he cast Knight I finally get some Cabal Therapies in my yard(two). The Cabal Therapies compliment my four Bridges in my graveyard perfectly. I sac my Narcomoebas four eight Zombies while my Ichorid makes some more. I think I win the game with something like 15 zombies in play.

That was it. My record was 5-1-1. I got 9th. In fact I was the only guy with 16 points to not make it in the top eight. Joe goes down to frown town
    Oh well. At least I didn't suck too much. Thanks for reading my report.
    Very nice play!

Re: SCG N.O. dredging in the bayou

This is the 3rd time in the last 4 weeks dredge has taken 9th (Columbus, me in Providence, and now New Orleans). I feel your pain, 9th truly stings. Was a great run though, congrats on the finish!

Thread Information