Thread: [Standard] Budget Rakdos Sligh

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

[Standard] Budget Rakdos Sligh

So a bunch of folks at work just figured out that we all play Magic and decided to have our own little Standard event. Well I didn't want to spend much money on a Standard deck, so put together this thing. It did really well at the office, and I took it to FNM and went 3-1. I lost to money, which I had sort of anticipated, but it put up a reasonable struggle.

Anyway, decklist.

12 Mountain
    5 Swamp
    3 Dragonskull Summit

4 Goblin Arsonist
    4 Diregraf Ghoul
    4 Rakdos Cackler
    4 Gore-House Chainwalker
    4 Rakdos Shred-Freak

4 Pillar of Flame
    4 Searing Spear
    2 Dreadbore
    4 Brimstone Valley
    4 Flames of the Firebrand
    2 Thunderous Wrath

SB: (oh, hey, it's 16 cards. i never used it vOv)

4 Rakdos Charm
    4 Reckless Waif
    2 Electrickery
    2 Slaughter Games
    4 Duress

Essentially it is a basic guys and burn deck, no fancy going on here. Just a lot of guys that either have more power than they should for their mana cost, or have haste, and burn burn burn. The Dreadbores apparently look like a question mark to some folks, I'm playing them because (a) I had them (b) I did want a way of handling creatures that would otherwise see me 2-for-1ing with burn, or wasting an attack phase on a stupid walker.

As with all my sideboards, I have no idea wtf I'm doing. Waif was in the main but it just felt really easy to reflip and I felt like I was holding back a lot when it was in play to keep it big. Rakdos Charm to eat Zombie.dec graveyards or hit for a bunch when there's too many guys in play. Duress is Duress, but I never brought that in either.

Open to suggestions on this one!

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Re: [Standard] Budget Rakdos Sligh

So I think Gatecrash adds nothing to this deck. I do not like burn that won't target creatures and players, so Skullcrack is a sideboard card at best. Neither Battalion or Extort makes this deck any stronger and there was no burn printed that can replace the heavier casting-cost stuff.

It's been brought up to me that Lightning Mauler could replace Rakdos Shred-Freak, and that Ash Zealot would be better than all of the above. I hesitate to have a casting cost creature, I pretty much just want to be able to cast whatever-the-fuck whenever I want, but I can see the argument for Lightning Mauler being fundamentally stronger than the Shred-Freak, since dropping two guys on t3 and both of them being hasty would be a pretty cool guy. I dunno.

Thread Information