Page 5 of 113 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Jund

Jun 2008
    Toronto, Canada

Re: [DTB] Jund

Anyone have any opinions on today's modern announcement? They banned Bloodbraid Elf in modern. I realize it does not affect this deck in a whole different format, but still...

And no, I am not trying to roundabout suggest it might get banned in Legacy, and Jund would be fine without it anyway. Just... strange.

Anyway, ncie job, Blackstar.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by razvan View Post
    Anyone have any opinions on today's modern announcement? They banned Bloodbraid Elf in modern. I realize it does not affect this deck in a whole different format, but still...

And no, I am not trying to roundabout suggest it might get banned in Legacy, and Jund would be fine without it anyway. Just... strange.

Anyway, ncie job, Blackstar.
    More proof that the DCI has no clue what it's doing with that format? Honestly, it's just degenerating into a bunch of sealed and "I made a steamflogger boss/rigger tribal deck, guys!" decks. Also, all the more reason to play Legacy.
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

Nov 2010
    Dallas, TX

The future of eternal formats wont have any good cards in it to play, oh well long live legacy:)) I think the only take away from the bannings in modern is that it will be cheaper to buy bbe for legacy:)

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Jund is by far the best deck in modern, dominating gp's, ptqs etc. Something in the deck had to be banned especially after decay and deathrite. Modern imo is a terribly boring format due to all the bannings. Long live legacy!

Jun 2011
    Dortmund/Germany

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Jund is by far the best deck in modern, dominating gp's, ptqs etc. Something in the deck had to be banned especially after decay and deathrite. Modern imo is a terribly boring format due to all the bannings. Long live legacy!

Modern is competitive Casual kitchen table magic....

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Jund is by far the best deck in modern, dominating gp's, ptqs etc. Something in the deck had to be banned especially after decay and deathrite. ...
    I don't know modern very well, but I think this is more a trend of the moment: wizards has printed 2 powerful cards, everyone wants to play them and jund is clearly an obvious choice. Internet doesn't help too, since many deck are stock lists.
    I don't mean that Jund is not strong, because it is, but that the success of the deck is also motivated by the great number of players.

I don't agree on the banning though, because I don't think that
    • BBE is really such a scary threat that needs banning. I mean, there are clearly more powerful creatures out there that can still be played, and this brings me to the next point
    • the meta is unable to adapt to Jund. For example, when goyf an kotr were bigger threats people started playing ooze because, while solid on its own, was also a deterrent for opponent's creature. If BBE was so scary people could have started playing aethersworn canonist for example, negating the cascade. Or wizards could have unbanned some control tool to balance the meta.

BBE is not mental mistep which warped the legacy meta one and half a year ago...

Modern imo is a terribly boring format due to all the bannings. Long live legacy!
    +9000!!!!

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Modern is even more of an arbitrarily devised format than Vintage/Legacy, except that it completely lacks efficient control elements like FoW, Daze or Wasteland. These cards keep the 'derpitude' to a minimum and balance out the formats even in the face of mistakes like Jitte or Show and Tell. Without these and strong sideboard options, it's impossible for an Eternal format to self-regulate. WotC can either re/introduce cards like these, or Modern will continue to be a midrange slugfest, with any truly dominating strategy eventually receiving the banhammer.

In any case Legacy Jund can now claim that many of its cards are ban-worthy :D

I'm having a hard time understanding how the RUG Delver matchup is so favorable. I've only played a few matches but so far I felt like I had no chance at any point. Basically if I try to play a threat in the first two or three turns it gets either bolted or dazed. Then they play a delver which flips immediately and they start wastelanding you. If you try to play a creature it gets removed, and if you try to play a spell it gets spell pierced.

Basically it feels like everything that they do is cheaper than what you are trying to do, and they see way more cards than you do due to brainstorm and ponder.

Jun 2008
    Toronto, Canada

That was my original thought too. I was playing against RUG with 4 Chain Lightning and 2-3 Snapcasters, and I was getting owned.

But they cut down on both of those, and instead of 8 duals and 6 fetches, they are playing 6/8 now. All in all, making our wastelands a ridiculously good card.

Furthermore, they really have no answer to Abrupt Decay on their Tarmogoyfs, nor are they running anything that can rival Abrupt Decay.

Their best chance is to ride a turn 1 delver to victory, and delay you with all their stuff. If they do not have a turn 1 delver, whatever they do is usually irrelevant, especially since everything you do is attrition them down. Just don't panic, and if you can trade, do it.

If they are chaining ponders and brainstorms, it's ok, it gives you a chance to really hurt them with a wasteland. It also slows them down enough to allow you to get a Liliana, Hymn, or a 4-drop. Your Inquisitions are pretty good too, cheap answer to everything they have that is relevant. Inquisitions are not as great because of the -2 life, but if they get a Goyf or a Mongoose, it will save you trouble later on.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Funny Durdling Around comic. Relevant? I think yes.

Quote Originally Posted by razvan View Post
    That was my original thought too. I was playing against RUG with 4 Chain Lightning and 2-3 Snapcasters, and I was getting owned.

But they cut down on both of those, and instead of 8 duals and 6 fetches, they are playing 6/8 now. All in all, making our wastelands a ridiculously good card.

Furthermore, they really have no answer to Abrupt Decay on their Tarmogoyfs, nor are they running anything that can rival Abrupt Decay.

Their best chance is to ride a turn 1 delver to victory, and delay you with all their stuff. If they do not have a turn 1 delver, whatever they do is usually irrelevant, especially since everything you do is attrition them down. Just don't panic, and if you can trade, do it.

If they are chaining ponders and brainstorms, it's ok, it gives you a chance to really hurt them with a wasteland. It also slows them down enough to allow you to get a Liliana, Hymn, or a 4-drop. Your Inquisitions are pretty good too, cheap answer to everything they have that is relevant. Inquisitions are not as great because of the -2 life, but if they get a Goyf or a Mongoose, it will save you trouble later on.
    I think you mean thoughtseize for the -2 life. I agree with wasteland being really good in this scenario. You think that they will run Divert?

Quote Originally Posted by aznepyon7 View Post
    I think you mean thoughtseize for the -2 life. I agree with wasteland being really good in this scenario. You think that they will run Divert?
    I dunno about divert but most RUG decks that I have seen recently are running stifle either maindeck or in the side. I'm finding their stifles + wastelands + cheaper/free spells to be very difficult to deal with =/

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by swarmofseals View Post

I dunno about divert but most RUG decks that I have seen recently are running stifle either maindeck or in the side. I'm finding their stifles + wastelands + cheaper/free spells to be very difficult to deal with =/
    That's more of needing to work on that particular matchup. Playing around Stifle/Wasteland is required for all legacy decks, practically. Same goes for daze.

Much of beating RUG is proper mulliganing and fetching for basics at the right moment. The deck cannot afford to sandbag fetches just to stifle yours throughout the first few turns. Always fetch in response to a fetch; or, in response to a cantrip if there isnt another blue source in play.

I would also say that you typically stabilize around 9 life. With that in mind, keep a cool head and trade with/remove dudes whenever you can. Your threat density is high and full of powerhouses; theirs is low and totally conditional.

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Yeah, the Junk match is all about, "Who can keep DRS alive and working?" Congrats on the finish by the way!

-Matt
    Slightly off topic, but what do you think about the threat density of the deck vs the format and the mirror/Junk match ups specifically, I've been doubting whether or not the Deathrite Shaman, Dark Confident, Tarmogoyf and Bloodbraid package is really enough clock for the deck vs the grindier match ups in the format.

I really want something that can trump a Tarmogoyf on the board at around 3cc that doesn't rely on the graveyard, but nothing comes to mind in Jund colors.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    I really want something that can trump a Tarmogoyf on the board at around 3cc that doesn't rely on the graveyard, but nothing comes to mind in Jund colors.
    Nothing comes to mind in the format (other than Knight, and not so much anymore and is GY reliant). I feel your pain. I tried playing a Jund-Zoo list with Kird Apes in some of the discard slots to help make the deck faster, but it wasn't so good. I'll still test a few other options (maybe Huntmaster of the Fells) but that's just too many 4CMC in the deck. I think the answer lies in playing 1-2 jitte main to help win these matchups. That's what I've resorted to. Also, ashes to ashes in the board is hilarious against other aggro decks and BUG. It's a complete wrecking ball to them. I love hitting a Tombstalker and Goyf with it. Makes me all warm and fuzzy =)
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    Slightly off topic, but what do you think about the threat density of the deck vs the format and the mirror/Junk match ups specifically, I've been doubting whether or not the Deathrite Shaman, Dark Confident, Tarmogoyf and Bloodbraid package is really enough clock for the deck vs the grindier match ups in the format.

The only card that does that is Liliana. There is no creature at 3 mana that trumps Goyf, excluding Troll Ascetic.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    The only card that does that is Liliana. There is no creature at 3 mana that trumps Goyf, excluding Troll Ascetic.

-Matt
    Yeah but maybe something that fights Goyf to a standstill is good enough, Troll Ascetic and River Boa are pretty reasonably costed, as well as Thrun, The Last Troll. It may be a bit of a stretch, but Dreadbridge Goliath might be good, generic fat or maybe something more old school like Flametongue Kavu would work.

I just feel short on cards that turn side ways, *shrug.*

I'm personally a huge fan of Vampire Nighthawk at 3CC.

You already need the double black for Liliana or Hymn, his lifegain is really helpful against life losses from Dark Confidant or Sylvan Library. 2 flying damages + 2 lifes gained is almost a clock. It is difficult to race you when you have an active Nighthawk. Finally, the deathtouch ability is relevant in most match-ups, it completely stops lingering tokens or creatures like Griselbrand and in the worst scenario is a 1vs1 against cards like Vendilion or Delver...

Kitchen Finks is another good 3CC although it is never a clock but the lifegain is once again really usefull for extra card advantage (which means extra threads) via Confidant or Sylvan.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

I've been testing Eternal Witness as a one-of, and she's been fucking bonkers. She may not win Goyf in combat, but she'll fetch back an Abrupt Decay to make everything all better. I'd definitely suggest her.

Jun 2008
    Toronto, Canada

I think that if you want more threats, it's to make yourself faster, not to be better in creature stand-ofs. Although I suppose that more creatures is the way to go in the Jund/Junk mirror.

The problem is that you still cannot weaken yourself to other match-ups, and Nighthawk and Witness do that. If you wish to make Jund slower, which is a fine idea, I wouldn't use BBEs. They don't do much in a slow control match-up, they are more of an aggressive route. Use Huntmasters, Kitchen Finks, Nighthawks and the like, and more removal. You still have a decent clock if you need to against combo (Goyfs and Bobs and burn), but you are better at grinding.

Thread Information